Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,223 members, 7,836,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (557 Views)

I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / 15-Year-Old Chinwe Married To Older Man Has Been Returned To Her Parents (Pics) / "My Wife’s Beauty Makes Me Sleepless, I Want A Divorce" - Zimbabwea Man To Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by recklesslove: 8:08pm On Jan 17
Re: . by SmileDance(f): 8:15pm On Jan 17
Did you do a court wedding?
If yes, then you need to be divorced in court.
If no then no need.

1 Like

Re: . by DivinegiftofGod: 8:18pm On Jan 17
Did you guys go to a registry?

If you guys went to the registry, then there's need to go and dissolve any legal binding holding you two as husband and wife otherwise you'll still be married by law.
Re: . by recklesslove: 8:21pm On Jan 17
SmileDance:
If no then no need.
There was no court wedding but church wedding,
Re: . by AlphaNugget(m): 8:57pm On Jan 17
recklesslove:

No need for court divorce then.......just need to make it official by swearing an affidavit and both exes depose to the oath

Just to be on a safe side.
Re: . by recklesslove: 6:02am On Jan 18
AlphaNugget:

No need for court divorce then.......just need to make it official by swearing an affidavit and both exes depose to the oath

Just to be on a safe side.

Thanks a million..
Re: . by Mindlog: 6:36am On Jan 18
recklesslove:

As long as the Church they were married in, was licensed by the government then "is also a valid Statutory Marriage and has the same legal implication as one celebrated in the Registry"........He should get a lawyer, to give directions.

For example, if one is getting married in the Catholic Church, Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian, recognized Pentecostal Churches etc, the couple do not need to go for court wedding.

This link is informative. https://streetlawyernaija.com/legal-implications-of-church-marriages/#Church_Marriages

1 Like

Re: . by descarado: 7:05am On Jan 18
SmileDance:
If no then no need.
Who told uou that?
Wonder why people think that the certificate issued during church wedding is not a representation of the court.
As long as the church is among the recognised churches by law to issue wedding certificates, that certificate is exactly the same as the one you get from the registry.
All orthodox churches and some pentecostal churches are recognised by the constitution to issue marriage certificate.
So yes, the guy need to dissolve his marriage in court.
Full stop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by AlphaNugget(m): 7:07am On Jan 18
Mindlog:

As long as the Church they were married in, was licensed by the government then "is also a valid Statutory Marriage and has the same legal implication as one celebrated in the Registry"........He should get a lawyer, to give directions.

For example, if one is getting married in the Catholic Church, Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian, recognized Pentecostal Churches etc, the couple do not need to go for court wedding.

This link is informative. https://streetlawyernaija.com/legal-implications-of-church-marriages/#Church_Marriages

Lol, use the cert obtained in the above mentioned churches in embassy and get rejected.
You will be asked to go to marriage registry and conduct your marriage, and hey, I am speaking with authority because I am familiar with it all.
Re: . by AlphaNugget(m): 7:22am On Jan 18
recklesslove:

What church did you do your wedding?
Re: . by SmileDance(f): 12:28pm On Jan 18
descarado:

Who told uou that?
Wonder why people think that the certificate issued during church wedding is not a representation of the court.
As long as the church is among the recognised churches by law to issue wedding certificates, that certificate is exactly the same as the one you get from the registry.
All orthodox churches and some pentecostal churches are recognised by the constitution to issue marriage certificate.
So yes, the guy need to dissolve his marriage in court. By
Full stop.
Yeah, if the op has a marriage certificate either from church or registry then he needs a proper divorce
Re: . by recklesslove: 4:52am On Jan 19
Thanks a million.
Re: . by Scentedgrance: 6:21am On Jan 19
What an experience,it must have been hellish.care to share?
recklesslove:
Thanks a million.

(1) (Reply)

Personal Security / Toni Eghosa-kruz Ewone | 15 Nuggets To Becoming Better Nigerians In 2012 / What Makes You Tolove Your Girl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.