Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,713 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail (30248 Views)

Four UK Health Workers Jailed For Abusing Elderly Patient / 313 New COVID-19 Cases, 89 Discharged And 5 deaths On May 24 - (1225 Tested) / 8 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. 7 In Lagos, 1 Benue. 89 Confirmed Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by ShoeGetSize: 11:30pm On Jan 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIw9QT82mTo?si=zyKxEtXrSToumv-d

A video of how Nigerian carers Ame Tunkara, 33, Morounranti Adefila, 43, Danny Ohen, 39, and Bridget Aideyan, 49, who were sentenced to prison in December 2023 for physical abuse of an 89-year-old elderly patient suffering from dementia have surfaced online.

In February 2020, the woman's family had secretly installed a camera and recorded footage over four days after noticing bruising on her arm.

It showed the woman being handled roughly, hit with a pillow, and treated with a lack of dignity and respect.

The woman meanwhile sadly passed away in October with a police official saying "she should not have spent any of her remaining years suffering such ill-treatment."

The footage, which was captured for over four days showed the caregivers rough handling the 89-year-old elderly patient.

The grandchildren of the patient took the video evidence to the care home managers, the Care Quality Commission, and the West Midlands Police.

While Ame Tunkara and Morountaro Adefila were found guilty of ill-treatment and wilful neglect and sentenced on December 8 to four months in prison, Danny Ohen and Bridget Aideyan were also found guilty of the same offences and sentenced to six months and four months, respectively, on November 14.

https://punchng.com/video-how-jailed-nigerian-caregivers-maltreated-abused-89-year-old-grandma-in-uk/?amp

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by matify83: 11:35pm On Jan 18
After All the resources committed to Japa , only to end up behind bars for your nonsense character you refused to drop back in naija.

You can take a pig out of the mud but it's impossible taking the mud out of the pig.

Hiss!

345 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Scentedgrance: 11:41pm On Jan 18
Should village people take the blames for their acts?
matify83:
After All the resources committed to Japa , only to end up behind bars for your nonsense character you refused to drop back in naija.

You can take a pig out of the mud but it's impossible taking the mud out of the pig.

Hiss!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Scentedgrance: 11:46pm On Jan 18
They really tortured this granny.they took their Nigerian wickedness abroad.

You tell them to do this kinda work in Nigeria,watch them to tell you God forbid

217 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by CameroonPepper: 11:49pm On Jan 18
ShoeGetSize:

A video of how Nigerian carers Ame Tunkara, 33, Morounranti Adefila, 43, Danny Ohen, 39, and Bridget Aideyan, 49, who were sentenced to prison in December 2023 for physical abuse of an 89-year-old elderly patient suffering from dementia have surfaced online.

Very respectful of their elders.

58 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Artiiclebeast: 11:56pm On Jan 18
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty with words, do horrible things to the care givers, and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

Most people in the field, even the whites, would never categorize this as an outright abuse though.

Human rights, human rights, is how they've emboldened and made the individuals difficult to manage, and when you allow them to keep their human rights in their filthiness and unkemptness, the authorities will still be the ones to complain about abandonment.

If we had a country or leadership, they would have been left to be cleaning up their own mess however it pleases them.

For the op up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.

Modified

I just chose to ignore all the mentions and people saying what they know nothing about.

I know we are always quick to apply emotions over common sense in most cases even when we don't understand the true circumstances not forgetting the bandwagon effect we are blessed with.

You see how one person quoted me without truly understanding my comment to hurl insults and subsequent commenters keyed into the same emotions.

They couldn't reason that if this was truly an abuse, the jail time given them wasn't what they would have been given and what they truly deserved, in my opinion.

However, since this was caught on camera by the family who decided to make a case of it, and then the client passed on maybe a few months later, of course, the judge will pass some form of judgment in a way to acknowledge and compensate their case and bereavement, respectively.

The people quoting me do not understand that what they saw in this short clip could be an hourly or bi-hourly occurrence as a result of her mental state.

Yes, there are laid down protocols and making reports to the effect that the client is refusing help. Now, tell me, if this is even a daily occurrence, shouldn't common sense tell anyone who truly separates emotion from reality that even the management of the facility, all staff, and indeed the regulatory body would have been tired of the many reports and just decide staff can and should do whatever they need to do to get their daily task accomplished without truly "abusing" the client?

Anyone who has ever worked in the industry or is still in it will understand what I'm saying.

There are hardly any care homes/facilities without at least one of these kinds of clients and everyone always understands that this is the only way they can render help to them.

These are individuals who are mostly cunning and would want to take advantage of a new staff by playing the new staff to do everything for them. In such cases, it is even the white bosses who intervene to caution the staff not to fall for their games because the individuals need to be allowed to help themselves to an extent to maintain or gain some extent of independence in their daily lives.

People need to learn, ask questions, and overall, be critical in their thinking.

And yes, I started in this field because it was readily available, a whole different experience for me, and I found it truly rewarding each time I was able to make them happy for the most part.

Yet, I have dealt with even worse cases than this, and I know how it goes. But today, based on recommendations from the places I learned the job from and my experience, I now work for the State Government. I even had 3 different agencies within the same body sending me offers but unfortunately, I can only accept one of them.

If you are willing to understand and learn how this stuff goes, drop emotions, and read my comment with an open mind.

Peace.

117 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by fyzaila: 11:59pm On Jan 18
They shouldn't have collected the job if they weren't up to the task. Yeye agbayas! None of them is less than 30 and still senseless.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Botragelad: 3:56am On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

Most people in the field, even the whites, would never categorize this as an outright abuse though.

Human rights, human rights, is how they've emboldened and made the individuals difficult to manage, and when you allow them to keep their human rights in their filthiness and unkemptness, the authorities will still be the ones to complain about abandonment.

If we had a country or leadership, they would have been left to be cleaning up their own mess however it pleases them.

For the miscreant up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.
Dude. Don't try to justify stupidity. If they can't do their job, they should go back to their country!

Tormenting the lady is so uncalled for.

194 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by oluwaahmed: 4:37am On Jan 19
Botragelad:

Dude. Don't try to justify stupidity. If they can't do their job, they should go back to their country!

Did you even watch the video? Always quick so support a Whiteman destroying your fellow black. Slave. Can't you see the woman was difficult that people had to come assist. Sending them to jail is just racism

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Botragelad: 4:48am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Did you even watch the video? Always quick so support a Whiteman destroying your fellow black. Slave. Can't you see the woman was difficult that people had to come assist. Sending them to jail is just racism
Who do you refer to as a black slave? Are you a joker?

They deserve to be in prison. The first thing about looking after the oldies is not to push them around or take the piss. The poor woman was in agony and nearly sobbing, but they still carried on.

Playing the race card won't make any difference. Own up to what you've done.

178 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by franchasofficia: 6:05am On Jan 19
Oh my God shocked

But those names aren't Nigerian.

They ought to spend a minimum of 50 years in jail angry

14 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by franchasofficia: 6:08am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

There are more humane ways to handle the woman.

From age 80, most humans become kids and start to act like kids, and at that stage they need compassion and not cruelty.

If you are empathetic in life, no matter what, you will never maltreat anybody even when they push you to the extreme.

Empathy makes us humans.

Can you handle your own mother that way, ask yourself that.

The woman is in agony due to health challenges arising from old age, she need compassionate care and empathy to care for her. Don't support evil in the name of race.

If a caregiver treats your own aged mother that way how would you feel? Will you be happy to watch it?

If you wish to grow old, have it at the back of your mind that you might be in similar mental state like that aged woman they were rough handling. Yes some aged people are more difficult than others to care for, but if you have empathy, you will always try to treat them passionately.

164 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Scentedgrance: 6:16am On Jan 19
Jargons as usual and this miscreant trying to justify their actions.glaucoma were in your eyes that you failed to see when the Granny was hit with the pillow.
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

For the miscreant up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.
Radarada

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Skyfornia(m): 6:32am On Jan 19
Nigeria has ruined a lot of people...the type of characters we display daily if checked, many of us will be remanded in a psychiatrist home. No humanity at all.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Yaxon: 6:32am On Jan 19
No go spoil our name oh

3 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Meerahbel: 6:33am On Jan 19
Grandma probably had complained and the kids wanted to find out if it actually true.

I want to Japa!!!! E don land you for jail
Care job in UK is not easy.

13 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by dettolgel: 6:35am On Jan 19
That is how most Nigerians are. Aggressive and short tempered.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Houseofglam7(f): 6:35am On Jan 19
🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by atiku4President(m): 6:36am On Jan 19
Scentedgrance:
They really tortured this granny.they took their Nigerian wickedness abroad.

You tell them to do this kinda work in Nigeria,watch them to tell you God forbid
Whoever will not succeed will not succeed, whether the person travels to UK or Jamaica

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by 7arrows: 6:36am On Jan 19
matify83:

Hiss!

Serves them right.

5 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Scentedgrance: 6:37am On Jan 19
atiku4President:

Whoever will not succeed will not succeed, whether the person travels to UK or Jamaica
It was the pillow hitting for me

5 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Dpaulie(m): 6:38am On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:

Nonsense.
You must be very wicked for justifying this, I couldn't even finish watching the video, I had to stop..
You can kill sir/ma

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Domyresearch: 6:38am On Jan 19
Wow
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Scentedgrance: 6:38am On Jan 19
You can do better than this.
Enculer2:
No doubt emilokan supporters who voted for the drug baron but refused to stay back in Nigeria and enjoy the drug baron's rule.

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Dpaulie(m): 6:38am On Jan 19
Couldn't finish watching the video

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Asabe4(f): 6:38am On Jan 19
Sigh!!

Care jobs ain't for everyone. If you do not have patience and empathy,please look for some other job.

Na jail get these ones.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Klchnjoku: 6:39am On Jan 19
Where is the maltreatment?

I didn't see them beating her on any other form of physical abuse.

Anyone who has lived with people with dementia will know taking care of people with dementia are one of the hardest things to do, especially if such individuals are old and stubborn naturally.

Maybe the UK authorities themselves should take it upon themselves to take care of that woman individually for just a week and let's see if they won't do worse to that aged woman than those four Nigerians.

Asabe4:
Sigh!!

Care jobs ain't for everyone. If you do not have patience and empathy,please look for some other job.

Na jail get these ones.

Even if you are patient and have empathy, if you meet individuals who are stubborn.. you will lose every shred of patience and empathy in you and if you are not careful you might physically abuse the patient but from that video there's no form of physical abuse.

Artiiclebeast:

Nonsense.
Exactly.. most people haven't lived with such people...
If you have lived with a family member especially aged ones who has mental illness, I doff my hat for you cos you are doing a great job.
Aged people with mental illness are even harder to take care of than new born babies

The UK authorities themselves knows this, that's why they gave those people a very short sentence.
Care givers are trying abeg, though some of them are actually wicked but those four have done nothing wrong from that video

Botragelad:

Some of you will just open your mouth waaaah.. you are not in those people's shoes so you don't know how hard it is.

If you have lived with aged people who have dementia and on top of that dementia they are stubborn... even you who taking care of them will lose your sanity.

franchasofficia:
There are more humane ways to handle the woman.

From age 80, most humans become kids and start to act like kids, and at that stage they need compassion and not cruelty.

If you are empathetic in life, no matter what, you will never maltreat anybody even when they push you to the extreme.

Empathy makes us humans.

Can you handle your own mother that way, ask yourself that.

The woman is in agony due to health challenges arising from old age, she need compassionate care and empathy to care for her. Don't support evil in the name of race.

If a caregiver treats your own aged mother that way how would you feel? Will you be happy to watch it?

If you wish to grow old, have it at the back of your mind that you might be in similar mental state like that aged woman they were rough handling. Yes some aged people are more difficult than others to care for, but if you have empathy, you will always try to treat them passionately.

This is where most of you are getting it wrong.. we are humans yes and it's mandatory of us to always be as humane as we can be but what you don't realize is there's a limit to how much everyone can stay humane before they lose their sanity, before they lose any form of empathy, kindness, love etc in them.

You see those care givers I'm ready to die on that hill with them with the video I watched.. as someone who has taken care of a family member with same illness, the only reason that kept me in check was because the said individual was a loved one.

If most of you have taken care of aged family members with mental illness, you all wouldn't be here criticizing those care givers who have done absolutely nothing wrong in that video.

I'm sure someone like Joke Silva, will have a thing or two to tell you of how hard it is to take care of such people.

25 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nursing Mother Electrocuted In Benue (Photos) / Woman, 62, Cured Of 30 Years Insanity After Being Hit By Vehicle / All Health Workers Can Now Be Consultants-fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.