Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics (44661 Views)

Kano Govt Bans Shisha Smoking, Stops Underage Children From Entering Hotels / Enugu Government Bans Sale, Distribution Of unapproved Water / Suicide: NAFDAC Bans Sale Of Sniper, Others In The Open Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by drimzsmoke(m): 7:59am On Jan 22
delpee:

I believe they'll appreciate useful ideas from you.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by blueAgent(m): 8:30am On Jan 22
jmaxjohn:

Think local restaurants and the stock of Styrofoam they have to provide affordable take outs for their customers.

Mind u, I think it costs 100/150ngn per Styrofoam pack rn. 300ngn per plastic pack. Same time last year, Styrofoam packs cost 50ngn per pack, and 100/150ngn for plastics.

Now those local restaurants will have to dispose off their stock. What do you think will happen to the wholesale price of plastics if the cheaper alternative is immediately eradicated?
What do you think will happen to the price of the plastic takeaway packs that local restaurant sells?

Now lagos has approx 20 million people. I can assure you that about 500 thousand visit different local restaurants daily.

Those 500 thousand would get to local restaurants and be met by a new price increment. They've been facing new price increments every week since the inception of this new govt. And now they're facing a new one, because of a thoughtless Styrofoam ban.

Before you type anyhow reply, just read my reply to another anyhow response about this ban immmediately above this one

Nice writeup.

Their foolish supporters would see, nothing wrong with the ban, as long as it was done by their tribes man or political party.
Most of them would even support ban on breathing Air, if is done by their political Lords.

Very dumb set of ppl.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by commoditiesnig: 8:36am On Jan 22
fergie001:

Tokunbo Wahab
Commissioner for Environment & Water Affairs, Lagos State
Excellent decision
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Lanretoye(m): 9:29am On Jan 22
AuthorMan:

Must you insult people for their humble opinion?
Everyone can't think like you. Grow up
no nah,no matter how we condemn bad policies,we must also commend laudable ones too.only and unfortunate and miserable person looks at everything from a bad perspective.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Lanretoye(m): 9:30am On Jan 22
madridguy:
Go and tell your uncles at home to shut up.

i can tell your father to shut up too.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by doctorbabs(m): 10:48am On Jan 22
Another job lost loom. Banning them should not be lasting solution but to regulate them if possible have a meeting with Manufacturer and suggest about buying back policy to them for recycling.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by dfrost: 11:12am On Jan 22
madridguy:
The Lagos State Commissioner for Environment & Water Affairs should calm down and take things easy. This is peoples solely source of income and I believe there should be time frame to this.

Baba I no gree for this one abeg.

People should learn to have a plate for taking for meals from restaurants. Honestly, we need to enforce this all over Nigeria. The environment is something else.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Sleekfingers: 12:11pm On Jan 22
Brendaniel:

What did Lagos state provide as alternative to replace plastic takeaways?

Go to Governor's office in marina or ikeja, he will give more details
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Bukola94: 12:11pm On Jan 22
AuthorMan:

Rwanda on my mind. Peaceful and neat.
A week or a month holiday will be good
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Brendaniel: 12:19pm On Jan 22
Sleekfingers:

Go to Governor's office in marina or ikeja, he will give more details

So you don't know? Then why did you claim Lagos is ready?
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Brendaniel: 12:22pm On Jan 22
dfrost:

Baba I no gree for this one abeg.

People should learn to have a plate for taking for meals from restaurants. Honestly, we need to enforce this all over Nigeria. The environment is something else.

Oga, listen to yourself, so everybody in Nigeria will be carrying plate and water bottle?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by dazzlingd(m): 1:55pm On Jan 22
jmaxjohn:

Do you remember the below picture? Image 1. I do. I'm old enough to.

In those 25 years, what has the lagos state government done about effective recycling and trash disposal?

It's even funnier you think I'm not aware of the cop28 conference that just happened

You say this is about the environment. Yes it is.

Are you aware though that the co2 emissions of usa is 25 times higher than ours as at 2019?

I'm all out for banning Styrofoam. It's a physical menace in lagos.

Have you asked why the ban on Styrofoam in certain top tier countries around the world?

What else uses hydrocarbons? Check image 2

But take note of the word SLOW TO DEGRADE.

Here's a little statistics for you

According to the EPA, in 2018, the U.S. generated 80,000 tons of polystyrene waste in the form of containers, while less than 5,000 tons of it was actually recycled.

So the usa exceeds nigeria in both co2 emissions and Styrofoam waste. No surprise there.

So why don't they just recycle?

While polystyrene is known to be cost-effective, it's unfortunately very difficult and costly to recycle (despite being stamped with the #6 “chasing arrows” symbol).
Most recycling facilities are unable to process EPS because, unlike other plastics, it's challenging to get back in its base form. Few MRFs and other recycling facilities have invested in the compacting/densifying equipment required to reform foam blocks, and the entire process is time-consuming and expensive.

So they can't recycle it because they'd rather fund wars.
They can't chuck it on a landfill because it's not pretty and it leaks chemicals into the landfill.
And won't litter their environment with it
How about burning it?

Check image 3

That brings us back to they can't fund burning it efficiently because they'd rather fund wars.

So do what? Ban it. They've made enough money from it anyways.

This brings me back to waste disposal.

You ban Styrofoam in Nigeria, you get a rise in other toxic waste materials dumped in the environment causing harm to its people

This is bad for a country with very little efficient waste disposal and recycling systems.

Ban Styrofoam yes. Then what? Won't that increase our dependency on plastic? Do Nigerians know paper plates are a more environmentally friendly option? What happens to our rising landfills? What happens to those smelly corners of waste on streets and estates?

Zero awareness. Zero reasoning. Zero education. Zero planning. Zero execution. Just straight up ban. Why? Government say e no good.

No different from the half reasoned declaration of 'subsidy is gone'. Here we are, months after, paying 9 times the price of fuel AND STILL paying subsidy. Do you not realise yet that the rise in electricity tariff is a result of that thoughtless declaration? Guess what? The government is paying subsidy on electricity too.
Did you know subsidy on electricity was quietly removed according to the last administration? Guess who paid more for subsidy in q2 of 2023.

My point? Thoughtless directives like immediate ban on Styrofoam would only put us in deeper sh!t

Reference image 4

Okay, I’d take my time to read on this. Thanks for the breakdown.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by paix(m): 1:57pm On Jan 22
Kongaone:
My 2024 business ooo
Maybe your company should engage in the cleaning of the environment.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by paix(m): 2:01pm On Jan 22
Flame333:
Lazy men with less innovative ideas .... Place like China will convert such for useful purpose..

Only loans them sabi borrow, ideas no join..
Don't blame them. That's the best they could offer, or what do you expect from the analogue leaders?
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Sleekfingers: 2:50pm On Jan 22
Brendaniel:

So you don't know? Then why did you claim Lagos is ready?

I know. But I want you to do your findings too
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by emmatuegbe(m): 2:56pm On Jan 22
Plastic water/beverage bottle should be added to the list. They are serious environmental menace. Our drainages, swamps, rivers and ocean are no longer life friendly due to these plastics indiscriminately being dumped into them
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by dfrost: 3:07pm On Jan 22
Brendaniel:

Oga, listen to yourself, so everybody in Nigeria will be carrying plate and water bottle?

I really would have typed a lot to respond but no I won't. I don't have the time.

Why can't we carry lunch around, if that saves us the degradation of our environment.?
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Brendaniel: 3:23pm On Jan 22
dfrost:

I really would have typed a lot to respond but no I won't. I don't have the time.

Why can't we carry lunch around, if that saves us the degradation of our environment.?

Show me one country in the world that is doing what you say, so eateries should shut down because of takeaway packs? or people will all have to carry plates to enter eatery to buy food?

Are you listening to yourself?
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by madridguy(m): 3:28pm On Jan 22
Means you have been telling your grandpa to shut up

Lanretoye:
i can tell your father to shut up too.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Brendaniel: 3:28pm On Jan 22
Sleekfingers:

I know. But I want you to do your findings too

I have done my findings based on what the state government published to the public and didn't find any, so if you claim to have another info other than what the government has published then you are a liar, if you cannot provide a proof to your claim then you are a liar.

This thread here is the only publication the state government has released, if you have any other provide it and prove me wrong or remain a liar....
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by MarketDispatch: 3:47pm On Jan 22
jmaxjohn:

U no get sense.
How many times do you take plastic to that eatery to do takeaway

You are foolish ..the eatery is meant to give you plastic for take away and not the foam.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Sleekfingers: 6:30pm On Jan 22
Brendaniel:

I have done my findings based on what the state government published to the public and didn't find any, so if you claim to have another info other than what the government has published then you are a liar, if you cannot provide a proof to your claim then you are a liar.

This thread here is the only publication the state government has released, if you have any other provide it and prove me wrong or remain a liar....

😆🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Go and ask those Nigeria manufacturers of the banned items. If the government has not tell them what to do....
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by jmaxjohn(m): 7:15pm On Jan 22
MarketDispatch:

You are foolish ..the eatery is meant to give you plastic for take away and not the foam.

After making this comment, if u don't understand that you've proved my point of increased dependency on single-used plastics then you're more empty headed than a barrel
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Brendaniel: 8:47pm On Jan 22
Sleekfingers:

😆🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Go and ask those Nigeria manufacturers of the banned items. If the government has not tell them what to do....

I should help you find the evidence you claim you have?
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by Bfly: 5:31pm On Jan 23
Instead of ensuring proper waste management.
Average Nigerians really need to be sensitised.

Most of the issues Nigeria faces is due to poor Education.
Re: Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics by TOYNEX(f): 11:32am On Jan 26
CameroonPepper:
So what should be used in their place?
That's another opportunity to think new business and make money.
I'm sure some smart entrepreneur are working that out already don't stress grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Funny Ways Guys Act When Trying To Buying A Condom / Hospital Seeks The Public's Help In Identifying An Accident Victim (graphic Pics / Man Commits Suicide In Jigawa After His Girlfriend Married Another Man

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.