Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Chemistry Platform - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemistry Platform (1273 Views)

Chemistry Questions And Answers Pack / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering / "Ababio" Chemistry Textbook - Osei Yaw Ababio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2011
It's all about chemistry.Share problems or solve problems.Keep abreast of latest happenings,theories/laws/formulae,discoveries in chemistry.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2011
How many elements are in the periodic table?
Re: Chemistry Platform by Dstar4u(m): 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2011
There are 103 elements in the periodic table
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 07, 2011
Dstar4u:

There are 103 elements in the periodic table
Since June 2011,the periodic table has 118 elements.Some of these elements occur naturally;while others are synthesized by human technology.
Re: Chemistry Platform by SLEEMYDRIZ(m): 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2011
pls wat paul'n principle talking abt?
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
SLEEMYDRIZ:

pls wat paul'n principle talking abt?
There are 4 quantum numbers that characterize the energy of an electron.They are
1.principal quantum number(n) that determines the energy levels or shell.So,if two electrons are in the same shell,they're said to have the same value for the principal quantum number.The value may be 1,2,3,4 and so on.
2.The Subsidiary quantum number(L).It shows the number of energy sublevels in a shell.So,if two electrons are in the same sublevel,they're said to have the same value for the subsidiary quantum number.
3.The magnetic quantum number(m) shows d number of orbitals in a subshell.
4.The spin quantum number(s) has only two values.It determines the direction of spin of electrons in an orbital.An orbital can hold only two electrons.These two electrons spin in opposite directions;so they CAN'T HAVE THE SAME VALUE for the spin quantum number.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2011
Continuation:
Pauli Exclusion Principle state that two electrons in the same orbital cannot have the same values for the 4 quantum numbers.
This means that even if they have the same values for n,L & m;their values for S must be different-because the electrons spin in opposite directions & can't have the same spin quantum number.
Re: Chemistry Platform by richy5(m): 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2011
what of aufbau principles.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 07, 2011
@richy:

what of aufbau principles.
In atoms,there are energy levels(also called shells) like K,L,M,N & so on.They are divided into subshells e.g s,p,d & f;which in turn are divided into orbitals.For example,the p-sublevel is divided into 3 orbitals Px,Py & Pz.
Energy level K has lower energy than L;L in turn has lower energy than M and so on.
There is also energy differences between the sublevels in an energy level & btw the orbitals in a sublevel.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 07, 2011
Simply stated,Aufbau Principle says that in the building up of atom,electrons enter orbitals of low energy b4 entering orbitals of higher energy.That is,electrons are fed into orbitals starting at the lowest energy levels b4 filling higher energy levels.So,electrons would enter 1S orbital b4 entering 2S,2P,3S and so on.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Dstar4u(m): 9:53pm On Nov 07, 2011
It seems there are chemist on dis thread & i wud lik 2 be here alwayz. Tel me abt quantum chemistry
Re: Chemistry Platform by 4ortyse7en(m): 10:34pm On Nov 07, 2011
MyFidelis:

Simply stated,Aufbau Principle says that in the building up of atom,electrons enter orbitals of low energy b4 entering orbitals of higher energy.That is,electrons are fed into orbitals starting at the lowest energy levels b4 filling higher energy levels.So,electrons would enter 1S orbital b4 entering 2S,2P,3S and so on.
I have a query regarding dis particular principle.
Well, In atoms of some elements e.g transition metals, the 4s orbital is filled wit electrons before the 3d orbital despite the fact that the 3d orbital is at a lower energy level (i.e n=3) than the 4s orbital (n=4).
Can anyone explain why or is Aufbau's principle inconclusive?
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 08, 2011
4ortyse7en:

I have a query regarding dis particular principle.
Well, In atoms of some elements e.g transition metals, the 4s orbital is filled wit electrons before the 3d orbital despite the fact that the 3d orbital is at a lower energy level (i.e n=3) than the 4s orbital (n=4).
Can anyone explain why or is Aufbau's principle inconclusive?
U're right 2 have mentioned that electron enter the 4s orbitals before entering the 3d orbital(in transition elements).The reason is,the 4s orbital has lower energy than the 3d orbital.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 08, 2011
Dstar4u:

It seems there are chemist on dis thread & i wud lik 2 be here alwayz. Tel me abt quantum chemistry
Energy (for example,energy of radiation from an atom) exists in packs or units called quantua(singular:quantum).
Re: Chemistry Platform by 4ortyse7en(m): 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2011
MyFidelis:

U're right 2 have mentioned that electron enter the 4s orbitals before entering the 3d orbital(in transition elements).The reason is,the 4s orbital has lower energy than the 3d orbital.
Alrite, u are explaining based on Aufbau's principle, I mean according to Aufbau's principle 4s is at a lower energy level than 3d but in reality when comparing the principal quantum number values i.e n=4 & n=3 respectively and considering d fact dat the principal quantum number(n) defines the energy level of an electron.
Thus since 4s has a higher value of n than 3d, it can therefore b concluded that 4s is at a higher energy level than 3d.
Re: Chemistry Platform by Dstar4u(m): 9:19am On Nov 09, 2011
Explain how to generate electricity from nuclear fusion
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2011
4ortyse7en:

Alrite, u are explaining based on Aufbau's principle, I mean according to Aufbau's principle 4s is at a lower energy level than 3d but in reality when comparing the principal quantum number values i.e n=4 & n=3 respectively and considering d fact dat the principal quantum number(n) defines the energy level of an electron.
Thus since 4s has a higher value of n than 3d, it can therefore b concluded that 4s is at a higher energy level than 3d.
Aufbau principle is correct. 4s orbital is at a lower energy that 3d (don't mind the principal quantum number;every law has an exception).
Re: Chemistry Platform by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 20, 2011
Whats d difference between 'dimerize' and 'polymerize'?
Re: Chemistry Platform by wip7: 7:01pm On Nov 24, 2011
1. how can one modify the acetamido group of chitin to make it suitable as a degradable bio-polymeric materials when cross linked with alginate?

2. what are the advantages of using viscose process to produce rayon from cellulose?

3. How to preserve fresh tomatoes from loosing taste, color and firmness for atleast 36 weeks, explain the mechanism and kinetic involves?

4. what are the structural similarities and differences btwn chitosan and chitin and what makes them bio-compatible?

5. why is the atomic number of hydrogen 1?
Re: Chemistry Platform by olawoyin2020(m): 8:09am On Feb 22, 2022
Good morning in the house! Please I will like if anyone can post the 2021 WAEC GCE NOV/DEC Second series chemistry past question or the marking scheme. Please sir/ma it can be sent here or to WhatsApp 08067968113. Thank you in anticipation

(1) (Reply)

Unilag: Part Time (dli) Form Now On Sale / Rivers State Polytec Pre-nd And Hnd Forms For 2012/2013 Academic Session Now Out / Ust Past Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.