Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,427 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola (34384 Views)

Vendease Raises $30m In Series A / Why Are Men Not Helping Each Other To Become Better Men? / Afe Babalola University Confirms Clement Chigbo As Associate Professor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by ijustdey: 3:06pm On Jan 25
Legal luminary and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Aare Afe Babalola, has revealed some of the big legal fees he has charged from clients, saying on one occasion, he got $30million for helping the government recover $300m from banks.

In another instance, the founder of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti in Ekiti State, said he charged Mobile $5m in an appeal case he handled for the company in the 80s.

Babalola, who revealed this in a recent interview with a radio talk show host, Ifedayo Olarinde aka Daddy Freeze, said Mobile initially rejected his asking fee and engaged another SAN in Lagos who charged them N500,000, but lost the case.

Yes,” Babalola confirmed when Daddy Freeze said he learnt that he charged Mobile $5m.

He said, “….The client has a right to pay in dollars or (its naira) equivalent. This time I was in my office then a message came from Lagos that Mobile people from Netherlands, Scotland and America wanted to see me. I went there and met some directors there. They had a big case and I charged them $5m. They decided to negotiate but I said no; that was what I would charge for the case. They said, ‘Ok, you would hear from us.’ I went back to Ibadan. They never came back.

“About two years after, the same Mobile sent for me and I went. They told me that the last time we referred a case to you and you charged us $5m, but when you left, one of us said there was a senior advocate in Lagos who demanded less than N500,000 so we paid him. Now we have lost.

“From the way you addressed us and the confidence we want you to handle the appeal for us. Can you handle it for us? Why not, but my fee remains the same amount. They said don’t worry, we will pay this time. Not only did I collect the money, I also won the case for them. So they remain my client; I became the special adviser to the company.”

Asked about other bigger legal fees he had charged, he recalled striking a deal with the government to get a 10% commission upon recovery of the sum of $300m from some banks.

“I can remember one case where there was a syndicate of banks fighting the government over a certain matter. I said you would pay me 10% of what I collect from them. At the end of the day, I collected $300m for them and of course 10% for me,” he said.

https://dailytrust.com/i-collected-30m-for-helping-govt-to-recover-300m-afe-babalola/

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Maize247(f): 3:09pm On Jan 25
Senior lawyer. No wonder the man is still very rich

221 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by inoki247: 3:11pm On Jan 25
In every Profession wether legal or illegal proffesion the cashout go always dey different....

I think Ned also cashout in this similar way...

129 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Paraman: 3:12pm On Jan 25
Agba lawyer. Hard work and grace, brutal combination

150 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Omihanifa: 3:14pm On Jan 25
Whole olanipekun has taken over

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by braveboi4life: 3:15pm On Jan 25
Every discipline is a gold mine if you know your game and have a good negotiation skill

Negotiation is power

185 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Zanzibar1: 3:22pm On Jan 25
This is real life. He won't tell you about the cases he lost. You can't always be a winner, there will be some times you did not win.

Its those times you did not win that will shape your knowledge and growth. I am more interested in learning about the cases he lost and how he was able to garn a chain of very strong friends. That's where the actual secret is.

177 Likes 25 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Iamanoited: 3:23pm On Jan 25
YOU'RE A CHIEF ADVOCATE OF NIGERIA CAN INCORPORATE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by illicit(m): 3:28pm On Jan 25
Well...

1 Like

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by agabusta: 3:31pm On Jan 25
That is one interesting thing with the Legal profession. You can hit it big and you can also perish in lack all in same profession.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by SeeWahala: 3:33pm On Jan 25
Yes now. It's part of the law.

A simple whistle blower law that was inacted by bubu to encourage people like you and me to kobalize our uncles and aunties who are stealing and hiding public funds cool It's called the 10% whistle blowers incentive and it is very much in play till today.

Do you have a fraudulent family member, relative or friend? One who doesn't read your WhatsApp messages or texts when you beg for cash? Well. Now is your time to shine cool

KoBaLiZe and chop your percentage clean mouth . . . no time at all wink

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by daveP(m): 3:42pm On Jan 25
Wow. Govt paid tithe sha

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by SAMBARRY: 3:43pm On Jan 25
Sometimes I feel a funny type of way when the older generation peaches about morality and anti corruption and when I talk about the older generation I'm talking about men and women who are 60 years upwards.i say this because if you know the history of Nigeria you will know that they have no right or moral justification to talk about corruption and moral decadence.the financial waste and seeds of discord among siblings, ethnic groups and Even national politics and finance is something else.

They're always telling stories to make themselves look saintly when they were in service but when you dig you will just yinmu and be looking at them deceive themselves

You see the rascality, poverty, pervasive ignorance, almajari, thuggery and all kinds of evil you see in this generation, check well,they have their roots from those elders.

However the Bible and quoran enjoins us to honour our elders.However we honour our elders not because they really deserve it but because we want to fulfill our own part so we will be found blameless before God

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by money121(m): 3:43pm On Jan 25
Ok

1 Like

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Slytiger: 3:43pm On Jan 25
10%.

1 Like

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Lanre4uonly(m): 3:44pm On Jan 25
Okay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by oz4real83(m): 3:44pm On Jan 25
Whatever you know how to do, do it well, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by SoftP(m): 3:45pm On Jan 25
Q

1 Like

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Addme: 3:45pm On Jan 25
Omihanifa:
Fortunately or unfortunately,both of them are from Ekiti.

51 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Ishilove: 3:45pm On Jan 25
Just give me $100k out of all these million million you people are sharing cry

3 Likes

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Dotherightthing: 3:45pm On Jan 25
Nice

1 Like

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by TemmyT002(m): 3:45pm On Jan 25
Idamewa niyen

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Itisallright: 3:46pm On Jan 25
That's one of the reasons one can become billionaire in Nigeria overnight... everything about us is outrageous

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by flexyrule(m): 3:47pm On Jan 25
10% recovery fees....

Same applies with the police.

See how they're spending our oil money.

1 Like

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by haybhi1(m): 3:47pm On Jan 25
Law get money sha... doctors go work harder yet no fit make that kain money laye

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by diabeticdeals: 3:47pm On Jan 25
10%!!

Stealing from the thief grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by AriyaTV: 3:48pm On Jan 25
You would agree with me that those old legal luminaries don't eat alone.

Can any judge do otherwise....if you know....you know.

13 Likes

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by Eraddray(m): 3:48pm On Jan 25
Agent fee 10%.... grin ... agreement, commission and damages nko grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by yemmight(m): 3:48pm On Jan 25
Wole Olanipekun is cashing out biggerly now. You can imagine he defended APC at presidential election and won and also defended NNPP in Kano Gubernatorial Election.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by fergie001: 3:48pm On Jan 25
Omihanifa:
He can't oooo....

Baba Afe cashed out heavily during OBJ...... Uncle Wole is an election petitions man but this person here ehn!

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola by crestedmazi: 3:48pm On Jan 25
Zanzibar1:
This is real life. He won't tell you about the cases he lost. You can't always be a winner, there will be some times you did not win.

Its those times you did not win that will shape your knowledge and growth. I am more interested in learning about the cases he lost and how he was able to garn a chain of very strong friends. That's where the actual secret is.

He lost cases not money.

They different things and that is not even the crux of the matter

31 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Salary Structure Of The Nigerian Immigration Service? / Know The Difference Between Gross And Net Salary Before The Job Offer. / How To Discover Your Talent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.