Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff (9827 Views)

Grid Collapses Again, Power Generation Crashes To 43.5MW / Rice Millers Hail Ebonyi Governor's Ban On Rice Scaling As Price Crashes To ₦15K / Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by treesun: 11:46am On Jan 26
The recent increase in electricity tariff by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, has failed to translate to improvement in power supply as on-grid generation fell to 3,383 Mega Watts as at 3pm yesterday.

Vanguard checks on the National Grid data posted on the System Operator’s Grid Data Portal showed that as at 3pm 19 power generation plants were on the grid. Significantly, Azura Power was off-grid despite beginning the day at 434MW. Egbin Power, the nation’s largest power plant was at 325MW far below its daily average supply to the grid of about 600MW.

The NERC had in the new Multi-Year Tariff Order, MYTO 2024, which took effect on January 1, said though the tariff has been raised consumers would continue to pay the old rate while the government would pay for the gap as a subsidy amounting to N1.6 trillion in 2024.

With improved revenue, NERC ordered electricity distribution companies to off-take 3,963MW as part of their obligations for the new tariff regime.

According to the Commission, from January 1, 2024, DisCos were to “secure adequate bilateral contracts to facilitate a seamless exit from NBET’s vesting contract regime”, adding that through bilateral contracts DisCos were “required to mitigate exposures to volumetric energy risk”.

NERC stated that effective January 2024, DisCos shall have no recourse to claims revenue shortfall arising from generation shortfall, adding that DisCos are “required to continually procure additional energy volumes to serve their customers and ensure steady migration of customers to higher service bands on account of improved power supply”.

However, despite this directive, a check on DisCos’ grid energy off-take showed that the eleven DisCos had a load allocation of 3,134MW compared to the 3,963MW ordered by NERC.

Specifically, as at 3pm on Thursday, Abuja Electricity Distribution Company was allocated 501MW compared to 611MW in the new MYTO, while Ikeja Electric was allocated 533MW compared to 603MW in the new MYTO with Port Harcourt DisCo on 219MW compared to 287MW in the new tariff regime.

Reacting to the drop in power generation, the Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, blamed lack of gas supply to power generation companies for the situation.

A statement by TCN General Manager, Public Affairs, Ndidi Mbah stated: “There has been a gradual decrease in available generation into the grid due to gas constraints to the thermal generating companies, which has impacted the quantum of bulk power available on the transmission grid for onward transmission to the distribution load centers nationwide.

Consequent upon the current load on the grid, load distributed to the distribution load centres has also reduced, as TCN can only transmit what is generated. TCN is committed to ensuring a gradual increase in electricity supply to load centers as gas improves to power available thermal plants.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/power-generation-crashes-to-3383mw-despite-hike-in-tariff/

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Arobaga: 11:47am On Jan 26
Una think say na propaganda them deh take run government

You think what will make Nigeria better is by tagging Nairaland APC mods to ban or delete a comment that’s stating how bad Tinubu has ruined the country

After mods finish banning and deleting comment when yo log out online you’ll go back to your suffering offline

You people should keep praising this empty headed Tinubu wey no sabi his left from right

170 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by matify83: 11:56am On Jan 26
Same story recycled over and over again.

Living off grid in the last 5 years plus has made my life hassle free in terms of power.

My children don't have any idea of what it means to be in darkness.

I already saw through their lies that I can't be guaranteed 24/7 power supply and they have not convinced me otherwise.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Tntsi: 12:10pm On Jan 26
We told you guys that a cursed mandate that came with the desecration cannot gave anything meaningful.

I decided to keep quiet to see the magic that wants to be performed.

Not a single section or sector of the nation has life.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by RawSex(m): 12:39pm On Jan 26
But what has this country been doing since that in 2024 nothing is still working even at 70 percent shocked

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by SalamRushdie: 12:40pm On Jan 26
Wicked fools

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by SoNature(m): 12:47pm On Jan 26
A little of 3k megawatts for a country of over 230 million people!

Believe it or not, Nigeria is not getting any better.

Those who support this government are the biggest enemies of this country.

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by worksmart(m): 2:50pm On Jan 26
Since Tinubu entered, it has been one bad news after another! angry

BTW I have no confidence in Peter Obi, let Engr Dave Umahi or Dr. Alex Otti or Chibuike Amaechi take over as president.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Missgreg0: 6:24pm On Jan 26
Hmm
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Spybradd: 6:29pm On Jan 26
This country is a horrible place!!!

Imagine being home and no power,all day for weeks,months,years,decades!!!!!!
It's enough to kill a human especially with the unbearable heat.
And just few days back I paid my bills...paid bills for darkness!!!!

And,guess what Nigerians are doing,they are down with Peter Obi this,tinubu daughter that!!!!

20 Likes

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by treesun: 7:25pm On Jan 26
Nlfpmod!
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Lannyjoe4u: 8:06pm On Jan 26
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Nazgul: 8:06pm On Jan 26
No wonder...I noticed that power supply has been very poor since this week.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by gaby(m): 8:06pm On Jan 26
Country sef don crash despite all the resources.

Power generation try sef.

I hail you, power generation, na man you be.

Dollar to Naira don leggo since.

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by bigdammyj: 8:06pm On Jan 26
Noted.
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by BrandingBetter1: 8:06pm On Jan 26
RawSex:
But was has this country been doing since that in 2024 nothing is still working even at 70 percent shocked
really
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Uyi168: 8:07pm On Jan 26
Meanwhile ..
Una sabi listen to rubbish for this country oo
grin

7 Likes

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Look4success: 8:07pm On Jan 26
Drg
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by BigBlackPreek(m): 8:07pm On Jan 26
Nigeria my country, it is well!
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by allabig(m): 8:07pm On Jan 26
naija na rubbish ..
total rubbish.

they know the solution.

but they will only siphon funds

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by alsudan: 8:07pm On Jan 26
Oya Idiots gather here and discourse Obi sons sexuality.

3k megawatts for a country of close to 300 million people doesn't matter, but Obis son does.

APC is demonic, they destroyed even the small light that Nigerians were managing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Funkyswagzz(m): 8:08pm On Jan 26
Useless government everything is increasing yet standard of living is depreciating. What exactly is tinubu's plan to get us out of this mess and why did he travel to France at this critical time. Over hyped and greedy mofos with empty promises sharing subsidy money

7 Likes

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Anguldi(m): 8:08pm On Jan 26
Am experiencing poor power supply for three days and it's NIPP line in JOS angry

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by ClearFlair: 8:08pm On Jan 26
Hihihihihi...Apheeseee 🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by ogolemati: 8:09pm On Jan 26
grin grin grin grin grin grin country of mudafuckers ruled by mudafucking assholes

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by LEARNPYTHON(m): 8:09pm On Jan 26
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by money121(m): 8:10pm On Jan 26
I see
Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by eepeepook: 8:10pm On Jan 26
No Nigerian administration takes electricity generation seriously. The sector has faced so much abandonment that improvements will take at least a generation to be felt. Japa if you get money. Buy solar if your japa money no reach. For daytime, nothing go concern you with NEPA. If you have a 9 - 5, rely on batteries through the night.

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by Zealoy(m): 8:10pm On Jan 26
So that was the reason I've been having epileptic power since over 3weeks now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff by AboveTheRim(m): 8:12pm On Jan 26
Hi there,

I'm currently conducting a research study on organised violence and crime in the Federal Capital Territory. Your contributions would help create victim-focused insights into the challenges and also assist policymakers in reaching a broader spectrum of solutions to curb these menaces. Attached is the link to the questionnaire survey;

https://ee-eu.kobotoolbox.org/x/kK68ONLs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Budget Padding: Buhari Won’t Shield Dogara, Others From Trial — Presidency / Wike: Those Plotting My Death Will Die First / Job Racketeering Scandal: Reps Committee Refute Reports, Summon NUC, VCs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.