Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,713 members, 7,862,262 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 12:31 PM

I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji (4431 Views)

Governor Oyebanji Pays Courtesy Visit To His Wife, Ekiti First Lady / New Ekiti Governor, Oyebanji Makes First Appointments, Freezes State Accounts / Insurgency, Banditry Caused By Deplorable State Of Army Barracks – Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by AngelGabbyShara(m): 2:15pm On Jan 29
Says N500m spent on workers' ‘wage award’ monthly

....Ekiti airport to be fully operational by July

Ekiti State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji, has said that the deplorable condition of some federal roads in the state is a source of concern to him, expressing hope that the reconstruction of the roads would be realized in the 2024 Federal Government budget having received assurances of Federal Lawmakers.

Oyebanji clarified that the state could not invest heavily on the federal roads because of the Federal Government’s no- refund- to states policy, promised to provide alternative roads that would give the commuters respite while traveling across Ekiti.

The Governor also declared that the state’s airport would become fully operational by July, and would aide transportation and economic development of the state.

Governor Oyebanji disclosed these on Sunday, during his inaugural appearance in the monthly programme 'Meet Your Governor' aired across all radio and television stations in the state. He added that his government has leveraged substantially on the support of eminent stakeholders to attract alternative development windows to the state.

As a way of bailing the citizens out of quaqmire of bad federal roads, the Governor stated that the state government, has commenced the Ado Ekiti Ring Road Construction to give commuters thorough fare in and out of Ekiti. He also allayed the fears of land owners over compensation for damaged crops. He said adequate compensation would be paid to affected individuals and families .

"I am indeed worried by the deplorable state of our federal roads. Our people must get this right, we can't construct these roads because there will be no refunds. But I have sat with our Federal Lawmakers and they have included some of these roads in the 2024 Budget. I have seen evidence that this has been done.

"Within the next few months, our people will start seeing changes. I have got the assurances of the leader of Ekiti caucus and Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele that efforts are being made to call attention to these roads.

On the N15,000 wage award approval for workers, which critics branded as paltry in view of the parlous economic situation, Oyebanji said it was just a temporary measure to buffer the effect of economic crunch on workers pending the final decision on minimum wage.

He said the N15,000 wage award has led to an additional N500m monthly expense for the government.

"Let me thank the workers for their understanding . But that amount was what the state can afford for now because we have to service other citizens who are not civil servants. But as small as the amount is, it costs the state a sum of N500m monthly. Let me also clarify this, it will only run for six months and anytime the new minimum wage is announced, Ekiti will be ready to follow suit.

"I am sitting on this seat by the grace of God and support of all Ekiti citizens. I want the people to remember as a governor that walks the talk. A governor that does whatever he promises. A governor who fears God and obeys his command".

Oyebanji stated that though the removal of fuel subsidy had brought an exponential increase in the level of funds accruing to the state, but pointed out that this couldn't solely and adequately fund the quantum of projects being prosecuted by his government.

Speaking further on the quantum of projects his government is currently undertaking simultaneously in spite of paucity of funds, Oyebanji stated that he has delivered this much because he was running an austerity government strongly allergic to corruption and plundering of public funds .

"The little money we have , I make judicious use of it to get value for our money apart from the fact that I am a highly spiritual person. We adopt the culture of financial engineering, no room for wastage. I pray to God always to provide more that can serve us. I am denying myself of so many perks. I am not here for enjoyment, but to serve the people and serve them well".

Contrary to the position being canvassed by some critics, Oyebanji justified the large number of political appointees in his government, saying he undertook the action for him to get his politics right and ensure that every critical aspect of governance is manned by competent people.

In the area of education, Oyebanji said prominent individuals like a Legal Icon, Chief Wole Olanipekun(SAN) and a business mogul, Dr. Tunji Olowolafe, were appointed as Chancellors of the Bamidele Olumilua University of Education , Science and Technology and Ekiti State University to turn the citadels of learning to world class institutions.

Oyebanji, who saluted former Governor Kayode Fayemi for deeming it fit to construct an International Cargo Airport in Ekiti, assured the people that the facility will be fully operational by July, 2024, saying the high level of technicalities involved in certification by relevant authorities have delayed the usage.

The airport is going to be a game changer in the running of our business and economy because it is the terminus for the Ekiti State Ring Road Phase One. What makes me happy is that, the corridor through which the Phase one is located will be developed. Besides this, we are also thinking of setting up a new Ado Ekiti town along that axis that can be properly developed".

In the area of taxation and raising of Internally Generated Revenue, the Governor appealed to the citizens to embrace the Land Use Charge being introduced, promising to democratize the process and make it affordable to all payers, rather than being outrageous and extortionate.

As part of the ways to ensure cleanliness in town, the governor disclosed that his government is partnering with Lagos State Waste Management Agency(LAWMA) and the synergy he said had started eliciting dividends with donation of Waste Bins worth millions of naira to Ekiti.

Oyebanji praised the elite, traditional rulers, political class, religious leaders, traders, drivers, students and other strata of Ekiti for having trust in his leadership and for supporting his government in carrying out his transformation programme for radical development of Ekiti.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid07mgwNU4UYWJQLRC4qRYEbKsBsiWYxwY36boenLXmKKbGAv1Je2TgzxvQyjQbqFdyl&id=100069437032705&mibextid=Nif5oz

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by kuntash: 3:03pm On Jan 29
hmm

how many federal roads pass Ekiti? let him go and ask Obaseki how market. sadly though no one can question or call out the former minister, because he can use dss to follow u sef

4 Likes

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by INTEGRITYA1(m): 3:04pm On Jan 29
Mr. Governor, you don't have to be worried but to proffer solutions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by walozanga(m): 3:05pm On Jan 29
U never see anything

1 Like

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by fidelmarshal199: 3:05pm On Jan 29
Nonsense talk, Why not worry bout the state roads, Ekiti state has the worst road network after Abia state

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Pootle: 3:05pm On Jan 29
very true during my time in that state federal roads are nothing to write home about

3 Likes

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Neduzze5(m): 3:05pm On Jan 29
Hmm!!

Other Governors will use their state allowances/revenues or take loans to carry out repairs on these roads and then battle with the FG for a refund.

This bunkom here is getting worried. Has worry ever solved anything?

Will citizens drive on worry on their way to work?? Arrant nonsense!!!

5 Likes

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by nairalanda1(m): 3:06pm On Jan 29
Bring back toll gates.

The roads are bad because the money is not enough for all of them (before we even talk of the corruption self). Bring back toll gates.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Adoomadonmi(m): 3:07pm On Jan 29
Mmmm

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by yewit37486: 3:09pm On Jan 29
nairalanda1:
Bring back toll gates.

The roads are bad because the money is not enough for all of them (before we even talk of the corruption self). Bring back toll gates.

Yeah right. You really have a penchant for textbook solutions.

1 Like

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Kolasimop: 3:09pm On Jan 29

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by nairalanda1(m): 3:11pm On Jan 29
yewit37486:

Yeah right. You really have a penchant for textbook solutions.

Maybe, but in the 22 years since we dismantled toll gates, our roads have gotten worse.

Bring back toll gates, fix the railways, una go have better roads.

SOuth Africa has good roads because they toll them. And they also have large amounts of corruption, before you start.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Judolisco(m): 3:12pm On Jan 29
kuntash:
hmm

how many federal roads pass Ekiti? let him go and ask Obaseki how market. sadly though no one can question or call out the former minister, because he can use dss to follow u sef

how u go dey talk like dis..... Check how many state ekiti dey connect first.... Kwara, kogi, ondo and osun... No be Federal government responsibility to fix all dis roads....

6 Likes

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by meum: 3:12pm On Jan 29
Then fix it!
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by yewit37486: 3:13pm On Jan 29
nairalanda1:

Maybe, but in the 22 years since we dismantled toll gates, our roads have gotten worse.

SOuth Africa has good roads because they toll them. And they also have large amounts of corruption, before you start.

Several countries have good roads without tolls.

Subsidy has been removed, inflation is crazy, Nigerians are suffering and here you are advocating for more hardship, haba.

2 Likes

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by atobs4real(m): 3:13pm On Jan 29
Are states road accessible?
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:13pm On Jan 29
Are you sure

You shouldn't o
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by nairalanda1(m): 3:14pm On Jan 29
meum:
Then fix it!

LOL...that has been tried in the past. Many governors have used state money to fix federal roads...then when they go to Abuja to get reimbursed, na long story dem go hear.
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by jersey4: 3:14pm On Jan 29
Ogun is worse off shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:15pm On Jan 29
nairalanda1:

The roads were also bad when we had toll gates

It is exactly the corruption you want to avoid. Most of the toll payments never got into govt coffers
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Deepthoughts: 3:17pm On Jan 29
AngelGabbyShara:

Says N500m spent on workers' ‘wage award’ monthly

....Ekiti airport to be fully operational by July

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid07mgwNU4UYWJQLRC4qRYEbKsBsiWYxwY36boenLXmKKbGAv1Je2TgzxvQyjQbqFdyl&id=100069437032705&mibextid=Nif5oz
It baffles me that roads are a problem in this country,why can't the government just contract out the roads to reputable road contractors to maintain,toll the roads n pay taxes to government,the arrangements can include security provisions, this arrangement would create massive jobs, reduce check points, improve security, enhance rapid development,aid agriculture n massively boost revenue with government spending next to nothing, it's so simple but in Nigeria we like to make things simple things difficult out of sheer greed.
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by nairalanda1(m): 3:17pm On Jan 29
yewit37486:

Several countries have good roads with tolls.

Subsidy has been removed, inflation is crazy, Nigerians are suffering and here you are advocating for more hardship, haba.

Then stop complaining about bad roads, and accept your bad roads.

Simple.

How else are we going to get money to fix them?

When the economy was good, and people like me were advocating for tolls, folks like you will come and scream poverty.

Either we face truth, and fight corruption and raise more money, or we accept things as they are. As for me, I think it is time we reinstated tolls on the road. Inflation or no inflation

When MTN was charging us high amounts of money for phone, shebi we grumbled about poverty...yet many of us grumbling bought a line. Ditto DSTV.

Also, make we hold our government to account, instead of sitting on this site grumbling all day.
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by robinfemi: 3:18pm On Jan 29
Most of the federal roads are worst in the west, not only in Ekiti State

1 Like

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by HRMK: 3:24pm On Jan 29
are the state roads better?if that worried,why not repair them and ask for refund?you must stop complaining!
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by ProudNigerian01: 3:24pm On Jan 29
Ask yourself and be sincere in your answer:

In a world dominated by evil and sinful activities, where do you stand?

If The LORD visits your community or Nation in a state of despair and hardship, will He find any still trusting in Him?

If He came to your family, will He find a man to use?

Luke.18.8 - I tell you, He will defend and protect and avenge them speedily. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find [persistence in] faith on the earth?

Get serious with your spiritual life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by duduade: 3:26pm On Jan 29
Oga no be only in Ekiti State

It cuts across all the other States in Nigeria

Call your Godfather and his people to order... David Umahi dey try sha... But needs to try harder
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by yewit37486: 3:29pm On Jan 29
nairalanda1:

Then stop complaining about bad roads, and accept your bad roads.

Simple.

How else are we going to get money to fix them?

When the economy was good, and people like me were advocating for tolls, folks like you will come and scream poverty.

Either we face truth, and fight corruption and raise more money, or we accept things as they are. As for me, I think it is time we reinstated tolls on the road. Inflation or no inflation

When MTN was charging us high amounts of money for phone, shebi we grumbled about poverty...yet many of us grumbling bought a line. Ditto DSTV.

Also, make we hold our government to account, instead of sitting on this site grumbling all day.

You and I know the core issue is CORRUPTION, so don't face a different direction aka advocating tolls when the underlying issue hasn't been addressed.
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by Lanruze: 3:33pm On Jan 29
Ekiti is a state I personally pass through regularly.

Kayode Fayemi's first term (1st) as Executive Governor between 2010-2014 had one of the most impressive expanse of Federal Road Networks in Ekiti State.

From Omuo-Aramoko and from Ilawe- Otun Ekiti the roads where superhighways . As a fact, buses where routed from neighbouring states like Kogi and Kwara state and inter-city travellers prefered the Ekiti (Ifaki-Oye-ikole-Omuo) axis as the journey was enjoyable and faster to Abuja.

The Governor of Ekiti- State Abiodun Oyebanji should consult his Godfather and also build strategic relationships with influential people in government that will make projects happen faster.

Abiodun Oyebanji the present Governor is accused of the Elite in Ekiti of being a "local champion" and not being firm enough in his government Administration.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by DMerciful(m): 3:40pm On Jan 29
A falling tide will fall all boats. Keep voting base on tribalism
Re: I’m Worried By Deplorable State Of Federal Roads In Ekiti - Governor Oyebanji by lexy2014: 3:41pm On Jan 29
nairalanda1:
Bring back toll gates.

how is money not enough for all the roads?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Armoured 2009 Ford Expedition For Politicians, Government Dignatories & Vip's / Is Pat Utomi An Economist? / Do Women Make Better Politicians Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.