Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,275 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. (26151 Views)

Please Help Me With A Job! I'm Depressed / Please I Need A Job. I'm In Lagos / 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by ffo(m): 3:45pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

The salary is what I have never earned in a month since I was born. 😊

Your story should motivate those that feels there's no job in the market, I like hardworking guys like you who go extra mile to achieve their vision, you are a go-getter

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by RapportNaija(m): 3:49pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

I have been in programming now for about 2 decades and I know what I'm saying that you need connections as a self-taught to get a programming job both front-end or backend.

A CS or programming related degree gives you the skills and knowledge to learn any language you may need at work.

Those providing programing training courses for self-taught without a degree in CS/programing related filed are just using this to cash in with a thread like this one.

Your problem is that you think this is year 2000.

So you think those self-taught courses doesn't include basic knowledge to learn whatever programming language with ease?

And as a Nigerian, I understand that your continued use of the word "connection" is due to the nepotism most Nigerians are wired with.

People get frontend and backend jobs, even most remotely, from reputable companies home and abroad.

Yes, some had to network their way into those circles that makes securing a job smoother, while others like OP simply applied and showcased their skills and expertise.

It has nothing to do with connection. This is a skill and expertise-based industry. Prove you can do the work and you get the job. Nobody needs to know anybody.

Also, while there are shit online courses, there are far more valuable courses, short and long courses even provided virtually (free and paid) by reputable universities worldwide!

It's the digital age...and in a country like Nigeria where the quality of education is currently sinking, there's no better time to be self-taught!

I studied CS as an undergrad in a Govt uni, and I can tell you free - it was shit.

I also imagine it's still shit because the Nigerian education system barely gets updated.

We were taught only FORTRAN, C++, and Java throughout my 4 years of study. And the way those courses were administered were pure shit.

Is that CS degree you're touting that everyone should get?

If I could rewind time, I'd choose to be self-taught, 6 months of deep learning of one currently useful and highly-demanded programming language, seek intern roles, and go all in.

That's how to win today. None of that CS degree BS.

Note: I'm not saying don't get a degree. I'm saying if you can't, don't let that stop you from aiming for the top as coder in the tech industry.

Good luck!

7 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Mcslize: 3:52pm On Feb 08
ibawon:
chinasaekpere
Don't stop learning, after 6 months start applying to other places especially overseas (remote roles like $10/hour above)and build your network. Save up and Japa. I repeat JAPA!

chinasaekpere listen to this advice. Don't waste your skills in Nigeria. You will enjoy your skills more outside the country. I repeat work for sometime and find way to get out of this country and explore the world with your skills. I repeat move. Just work for 2-3 years with your current job to gather more experience and japa.

Don't waste this skill in Nigeria. Find your way out after 2-3 years with your current job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by TOMMYS: 3:56pm On Feb 08
bitbillionaire:
Congrats bro. This is the type of story I want to be hearing from my fellow country men and women. Its always good to take your destiny into your hands and do something meaningful with your life rather than blaming the government for everything.

Lastly I am happy you like the salary too!

Abeg like how much the salary go be
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by KingLion007(m): 4:01pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

Congrats Man!.. Hard work Pays.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by guysbewise: 4:04pm On Feb 08
RapportNaija:

Your problem is that you think this is year 2000.

So you think those self-taught courses doesn't include basic knowledge to learn whatever programming language with ease?

And as a Nigerian, I understand that your continued use of the word "connection" is due to the nepotism most Nigerians are wired with.

People get frontend and backend jobs, even most remotely, from reputable companies home and abroad.

Yes, some had to network their way into those circles that makes securing a job smoother, while others like OP simply applied and showcased their skills and expertise.

It has nothing to do with connection. This is a skill and expertise-based industry. Prove you can do the work and you get the job. Nobody needs to know anybody.

Also, while there are shit online courses, there are far more valuable courses, short and long courses even provided virtually (free and paid) by reputable universities worldwide!

It's the digital age...and in a country like Nigeria where the quality of education is currently sinking, there's no better time to be self-taught!

I studied CS as an undergrad in a Govt uni, and I can tell you free - it was shit.

I also imagine it's still shit because the Nigerian education system barely gets updated.

We were taught only FORTRAN, C++, and Java throughout my 4 years of study. And the way those courses were administered were pure shit.

Is that CS degree you're touting that everyone should get?

If I could rewind time, I'd choose to be self-taught, 6 months of deep learning of one currently useful and highly-demanded programming language, seek intern roles, and go all in.

That's how to win today. None of that CS degree BS.

Note: I'm not saying don't get a degree. I'm saying if you can't, don't let that stop you from aiming for the top as coder in the tech industry.

Good luck!

I started as a self-taught, got certifications but could not get a programming job then and a recruiter even asked me how I wanted to get a programming job without a degree. That was when I decided to go and get a programming degree. Then I started getting jobs and found that most of the guys I work with are self-taught and only knew very little and that's all they like to work with so when I come up with a new tool and technique that's needed to get the job done they begin to resist it as they don't have the skills and knowledge that can only be gotten from a CS or programming related degree.

What I also find is that complex projects get abandoned as the self-thoughts who have been there for ages cannot do it because they got in with connections.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by KingLion007(m): 4:07pm On Feb 08
SuperOnyi:
shocked

Congratulations but my naughty mind keeps tells me it won't be for long before your girlfriend start telling her friends she made you who you are. Before we know what's happening, she'd start telling anyone who cares to listen how you were doomed more than a decade until she used her magical hand to set you free.

I'm sorry but SuperOnyi's mind is like a broken used condom, no man uses it but since I've been diagnosed half insane, my brain washes and stitches this condom until it expands like an overused panties.

This is what you must do to keep her even more loyal, prepare for a romantic date and order enough spicy suya, make sure it is very spicy enough to drive a Yoruba man nuts. Get her hollandia yoghurt and smile as you watch her cough with catarrh running from her nose, make sure you keep enough bottles of water.

While she's already complaining of how spicy it is, tell her how much you've loved her and how you've always wanted to treat her like your ancestors did to their wives.

You can either buy lasticle by our very own ilegendd now or get what we call buratanci in the North, while you're slamming her doors; think of all the pain you've gone through since you were born, think of all the pains your parents went through, think of how messy Nigeria is, and think of the Biafra war...

After this, she will become even more loyal and submissive. You can send a token from your first salary to show appreciation, you're welcome.

Congratulations once again!
Funny you Man!
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Juliearth(f): 4:09pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:

Congratulations and more wins ahead to you. Big ups to your girlfriend.

Cc
Intergrated
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Karlifate: 4:10pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:

Congratulations, man. 😊

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by guysbewise: 4:12pm On Feb 08
Good to have a good girlfriend that uses her connections to help her boyfriend
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Karlifate: 4:12pm On Feb 08
iwriteall:
Give me your girlfriend's number let me call her and thank her

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by odinaccess: 4:18pm On Feb 08
Pls where did you learn from never too late for us to start this journey ,your story has motivated me becos i graduated almost 12 years ago too
chinasaekpere:

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by ibawon(m): 4:22pm On Feb 08
Mcslize:

chinasaekpere listen to this advice. Don't waste your skills in Nigeria. You will enjoy your skills more outside the country. I repeat work for sometime and find way to get out of this country and explore the world with your skills. I repeat move. Just work for 2-3 years with your current job to gather more experience and japa.

Don't waste this skill in Nigeria. Find your way out after 2-3 years with your current job.
God bless you. Nigeria of today is different from that of 10 years ago, I'll rather spend the next 10 years of my life in a first world country than staying here for the next 10 years with such skills. To even think $10/per hour is even a flex is how much you need to leave this country if you can.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by alons: 4:28pm On Feb 08
Oyindamolah:
Congratulations

I'm hiring for these junior roles

2 Typescript Backend Engineers

1 Frontend Engineer (Vue)

2 DevOps Engineers (knowledge of kubernetes is mandatory)

1 Product Designer

Send an email to joinus@ignite.dev

I sent an email to the email provided but it complained the email could not be found.
Please can you reply to my email alozie4god@gmail.com so I can forward my resume to you?

Thank you

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by obesse: 4:39pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:

Hats off to you!
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by leesi11(m): 4:49pm On Feb 08
Congratulations bro
I am half way to becoming a Data scientist.

Hope to break the ice soon.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by GorillaApp(m): 5:09pm On Feb 08
Kutunban:
Congratulations, I'm currently learning python language and I'm mid proficient . Hopefully I'll take the PCAP certification soon, then start learning SQL although I have little knowledge. I pray my story turn out good soon. I'm learning from W3school site. Python is simple and interesting.
really? i want to learn python too for a reason though. how do i start
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by RapportNaija(m): 5:25pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

I started as a self-taught, got certifications but could not get a programming job then and a recruiter even asked me how I wanted to get a programming job without a degree. That was when I decided to go and get a programming degree. Then I started getting jobs and found that most of the guys I work with are self-taught and only knew very little and that's all they like to work with so when I come up with a new tool and technique that's needed to get the job done they begin to resist it as they don't have the skills and knowledge that can only be gotten from a CS or programming related degree.

What I also find is that complex projects get abandoned as the self-thoughts who have been there for ages cannot do it because they got in with connections.

Self-taught developers who are rigid - like those you described, will be out without job fast.

Tech is growing fast, what works yesterday may not work or will be upgraded the next day. If you can't unlearn and relearn, then you have no job being in the tech development industry.

And maybe back in the days, a CS degree used to make that much sense in job security - it doesn't make much sense right now.

See what OP said he learned in 2 years, I can bet my balls - 95% CS undergrads and grads in this Nigeria can't boast of the same knowledge and expertise.

It's what it is...I get your point though.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by honestpoju: 5:36pm On Feb 08
I am interested. I am a MERN Stack developer

adonainana:

Oga can you use node js , I have a 200k per month job waiting for you as we type

Can you code in JavaScript yes or no

I will bet 500k if you say you can use node js ( a JavaScript run time )

you will employed today today and the pay is 200k per month.

The whole of naira land is my witness .

The question do you speak write and can you code with JavaScript yes or no

You don’t need any rubbish connection to get a web development programming job

Please first leave that ur computer science degree to one side can you use node js ?

Do you even know how hard is it to build reusable components in react js to even start with

Connections for something only Indian YouTubers and a few people in this Nigeria can do lol

You too reason am now
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by whitejs: 5:40pm On Feb 08
Congratulation
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Hakeem66: 5:59pm On Feb 08
techgen:

You don talk am finish…get the proverb right, it’s more easier with tech when you grow with it, than when you enter late.
Absolutely true, I wanted to learn but family disturbance didn't allow me so I quit. Tech requires absolute concentration that's why it's good to learn when demand is not on you. Start in your teen or early twenties so that money and family issues will not distract you.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by FirstSense: 6:07pm On Feb 08
alons:

I sent an email to the email provided but it complained the email could not be found.
Please can you reply to my email alozie4god@gmail.com so I can forward my resume to you?

Thank you

Same. It can't be found
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by tobenuel(m): 6:15pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
meta frontend coursera course.

Although, you will still need some other resource but this will teach all the basics.
You can actually learn from any resources if you are determined. And in tech, you can never stop leering. No one is perfect here, if you want to stop reading then tech is not for you
are they free or paid learning resources. kindly drop some list of free and paid resources you utilized. Thanks
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by ford101: 6:22pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

No one will come out and tell you how they got their job through connections. I once worked for a company and the head of programming was not good with programming the reporting application which I was brought in to help them build as he was an electronics guy. The director was very pleased with my work and his big clients liked the application I was building, some time later the director, who was a nice guy told me confidentially that the head of programming is his inlaw, they then brought another guy that knew nothing as lead developer, then the two of them to mess up the application for them. I decided to leave them as I could not work with such people and guess what about two years later the company folded up.

Once a self-taught gets a role through connections, all he does is use node.js, react or something they think they are good in for an application without understanding the best tool for the job. These are some of the things you learn about in a good CS or a programming related degree like SE or Computer Engineering. It's like a self-taught builder that builds a house without knowledge of architecture, structural engineering but just knows how to paint and some other minor stuff and builds a house with it, compared with a builder with a degree in building.

I have been in the software industry now for about 2 decades and I know what I'm saying that you need connections as a self-taught to get a programming job both front-end or backend.

A good CS or programming related degree gives you the skills and knowledge to learn any language you may need at work.
u sound like a drug user. And you think everyone use drugs like you. Come on go to a rehab osi sor
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Marisujuaku(f): 6:29pm On Feb 08
Congratulations. can u train me? quote author=chinasaekpere post=128226580]I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

The salary is what I have never earned in a month since I was born. 😊[/quote]
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by guysbewise: 6:30pm On Feb 08
ford101:
ford101 sound like a drug user. And ford101 think everyone use drugs like ford101. ford101 go to a rehab osi sor
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Teenaira: 6:31pm On Feb 08
zagorakis:
How much is the salary, that might motivate us to Start learning.

No, No and No. If the salary is what will motivate you.......... ??
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by jelel6: 7:00pm On Feb 08
Oyindamolah:
Congratulations

I'm hiring for these junior roles

2 Typescript Backend Engineers

1 Frontend Engineer (Vue)

2 DevOps Engineers (knowledge of kubernetes is mandatory)

1 Product Designer

Send an email to joinus@ignite.dev

Hi,

I'm Interested in the backend role. Any heads ups?

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by 1stSonOfLucifer(m): 7:05pm On Feb 08
zagorakis:
How much is the salary, that might motivate us to Start learning.
as low as 1naira/free/month. As high as 1.6M/month or even more. 😂
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by adonainana: 7:12pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

No one will come out and tell you how they got their job through connections. I once worked for a company and the head of programming was not good with programming the reporting application which I was brought in to help them build as he was an electronics guy. The director was very pleased with my work and his big clients liked the application I was building, some time later the director, who was a nice guy told me confidentially that the head of programming is his inlaw, they then brought another guy that knew nothing as lead developer, then the two of them to mess up the application for them. I decided to leave them as I could not work with such people and guess what about two years later the company folded up.

Once a self-taught gets a role through connections, all he does is use node.js, react or something they think they are good in for an application without understanding the best tool for the job. These are some of the things you learn about in a good CS or a programming related degree like SE or Computer Engineering. It's like a self-taught builder that builds a house without knowledge of architecture, structural engineering but just knows how to paint and some other minor stuff and builds a house with it, compared with a builder with a degree in building.

I have been in the software industry now for about 2 decades and I know what I'm saying that you need connections as a self-taught to get a programming job both front-end or backend.

A good CS or programming related degree gives you the skills and knowledge to learn any language you may need at work.

What if I lie that I have a cs degree but I’m a competent front end developer how would you know

You can see your obsession is just with the idea that someone can self teach themselves programming

Apart form node js for backend , there is nothing else you can use so far JavaScript is concerned

Just the same way apart from using the framework Django there is no other way you can use python to create a full stack app

Just the same way php developers use laravel

The list goes on

All these programming languages can be self taught

I doubt you even know anything about these tech stacks you are just here arguing blindly with ur cs degree this cs degree that

You don’t need no bloody connection to build a website using JavaScript it’s either you can do it or you can’t do it

It’s either you can use react , next js, solid js, or you can’t

It’s either you can use react native or flutter or ionic to build mobile apps or you can’t

And the list goes on

Cs graduates will take a seat where all the developers are working

Trust me to use these technologies has nothing to do with ur cs degree and trust me when it’s time for troubleshooting anything in JavaScript only those the errors inside the frameworks matter

Not ur cs degree or whatever you were told at university level in ur computer science degree

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by adonainana: 7:14pm On Feb 08
jelel6:

Hi,

I'm Interested in the backend role. Any heads ups?

Can you use nodejs , I’m working on a project the front end has been created
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by adonainana: 7:17pm On Feb 08
honestpoju:
I am interested. I am a MERN Stack developer

Thank you jare better person

The front end side has been built we just need a back end developer to work on it . We would be hosting it on hostinger

The front end was built with react js , database was my SQL via using XAMPP but we can change ur back to mongo db tho if that’s what you are familiar with

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do Insurance Companies Pay Salary Or It's Just Commission? / What's The Fastest Job A 35 Year Old Graduate With No Experience Get? / Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Academic Staff Recruitment 2017 (44 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.