Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,075 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. (26117 Views)

Please Help Me With A Job! I'm Depressed / Please I Need A Job. I'm In Lagos / 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by ford101: 7:18pm On Feb 08
[quote author=guysbewise post=128357212][/quote]guysbewise sound like a drug user. And guysbewise think everyone use drugs like guysbewise. guysbewuse go to a rehab osi sor
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Xkale1996(m): 7:18pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

The salary is what I have never earned in a month since I was born. 😊
hold your beb tight guy
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by luvyaself95(m): 7:32pm On Feb 08
Happy for you bro more wins
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by jelel6: 7:34pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

I started as a self-taught, got certifications but could not get a programming job then and a recruiter even asked me how I wanted to get a programming job without a degree. That was when I decided to go and get a programming degree. Then I started getting jobs and found that most of the guys I work with are self-taught and only knew very little and that's all they like to work with so when I come up with a new tool and technique that's needed to get the job done they begin to resist it as they don't have the skills and knowledge that can only be gotten from a CS or programming related degree.

What I also find is that complex projects get abandoned as the self-thoughts who have been there for ages cannot do it because they got in with connections.

If you're reading this and wondering whether what Mr is saying above is valid, just know he's wrong and his experiences is not what's generally happening in the tech industry.

Even if he's the CTO of Google and Facebook combined, don't take his word for it. In fact, Google, Microsoft, and Apple don't require a CS degree. In fact, if you can prove exceptional in what you do, they won't care if you didn't go to primary school.

All the knowledge you can get in a CS degree is available on the internet for free. You can learn whatever you wish from the internet. Top universities and schools release their CS curriculum and resources for people who wish to learn the fundamentals. The only difference is that you don't get to listen to a 70 years old lecturer read their experience and life history to you in a class setting despite never having work in tech all their life.

If there's one field where paper qualifications holds no inherent value, it's tech and the software industry.

To the author I'm quoting, I'd really like to know the knowledge you applied from your CS degree that helped you solved a problem at work. Be specific, be elaborate, and then explained why you concluded only people with a CS degree would come up with your solution.

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by techgen(m): 7:47pm On Feb 08
Hakeem66:
Absolutely true, I wanted to learn but family disturbance didn't allow me so I quit. Tech requires absolute concentration that's why it's good to learn when demand is not on you. Start in your teen or early twenties so that money and family issues will not distract you.

Exactly my point…absolute concentration is required, because your mind needs to be settled to grab some concepts without much Addo. The early the better!!!
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by jelel6: 7:55pm On Feb 08
adonainana:

Can you use nodejs , I’m working on a project the front end has been created

Hello, yes. I've done stuff with node.js. I'm happy to discuss in detail if you please.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by BrotherInnocent: 8:00pm On Feb 08
Congratulations to you brother.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by adonainana: 8:00pm On Feb 08
jelel6:

Hello, yes. I've done stuff with node.js. I'm happy to discuss in detail if you please.

Do you have a link to your most recent projects or GitHub

Or pls send a WhatsApp message to 09124325479
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Dannydrums889: 8:02pm On Feb 08
Kutunban:
Congratulations, I'm currently learning python language and I'm mid proficient . Hopefully I'll take the PCAP certification soon, then start learning SQL although I have little knowledge. I pray my story turn out good soon. I'm learning from W3school site. Python is simple and interesting.
which pathway is this?
Is it data analyst or data scientist
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by adonainana: 8:05pm On Feb 08
jelel6:

If you're reading this and wondering whether what Mr is saying above is valid, just know he's wrong and his experiences is not what's generally happening in the tech industry.

Even if he's the CTO of Google and Facebook combined, don't take his word for it. In fact, Google, Microsoft, and Apple don't require a CS degree. In fact, if you can prove exceptional in what you do, they won't care if you didn't go to primary school.

All the knowledge you can get in a CS degree is available on the internet for free. You can learn whatever you wish from the internet. Top universities and schools release their CS curriculum and resources for people who wish to learn the fundamentals. The only difference is that you don't get to listen to a 70 years old lecturer read their experience and life history to you in a class setting despite never having work in tech all their life.

If there's one field where paper qualifications holds no inherent value, it's tech and the software industry.

To the author I'm quoting, I'd really like to know the knowledge you applied from your CS degree that helped you solved a problem at work. Be specific, be elaborate, and then explained why you concluded only people with a CS degree would come up with your solution.

God bless the man has been arguing with me since like he is is such a broken record of himself and can’t believe people use YouTube to secure millions of naira worth of gigs now

He can’t just believe it that you can lock yourself inside ur room watch YouTube for good 3 months and come out a different person.

Like to him his cs degree would make him use all JavaScript frameworks, know every language solve almost every problem

Like people like him know deep down the truth but can’t say it for fear of being caught out

Go on instagram and you will see some self taught developers fear go catch you
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Anonimoux: 8:17pm On Feb 08
Amazing testimony oh.

My obsession fr music production and audio engineering don't want to allow me focus on Frontend web development, if I just come across codes, I will just get tired.

Guess I need to give it a try again.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by akaahs(m): 8:20pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

Im inspired with ur story. I have decided to go back and start my tech journey where i dropped it.
What is the name of learning site u learned from
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by akaahs(m): 8:58pm On Feb 08
blowjohn:
And the first thing u do is to make it public undecided

Be a silent achiver.

Give God all the glory, share with ur family and leave the media out if it.

We living in biblical times.
Oga somethings like this need to be out there to encourage and inspire others. Im just inspire to go back and pick up python i dropped last year. E get how u see am anyways
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by guysbewise: 9:14pm On Feb 08
blowjohn:
And the first thing u do is to make it public undecided

Be a silent achiver.

Give God all the glory, share with ur family and leave the media out if it.

We living in biblical times.

It's a marketing gimmick.

Those providing programming training courses for self-taught without a degree in CS/programming related field are just using a thread like this one to cash in on gullible people that will want to rush and start a programming course.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by blowjohn(m): 9:17pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

Those providing programming training courses for self-taught without a degree in CS/programming related filed are just using a thread like this one to cash in on gullible people that will want to rush and start a programming course.

hmm I see. Didn't see it that way

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by blowjohn(m): 9:19pm On Feb 08
akaahs:

Oga somethings like this need to be out there to encourage and inspire others. Im just inspire to go back and pick up python i dropped last year. E get how u see am anyways

E go inspire both good and evil people.
Abi u no see where e even mention say e salary big?

Make e go try am for Facebook na. Some people think say na every thing dem dey post on social media
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by TheMostComplex1: 9:33pm On Feb 08
Congrats this's just the beginning of better things to come in your life
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by VeeInsider: 9:42pm On Feb 08
Which online course?

Trophy12:
Abeg give me the website for the online course, congratulations 👏

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 9:49pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

Those providing programming training courses for self-taught without a degree in CS/programming related field are just using a thread like this one to cash in on gullible people that will want to rush and start a programming course.
lol, be playing.
You must be a fool person to think that anyone cares about your degree when it comes to tech.

Oga, if you can solve the problem better than the CS guy, you will get the job ahead of him.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Johzhier97(m): 9:50pm On Feb 08
Aloof:

Congratulations bro.

I actually started coding since 2022, but the discipline to be consistent is my major barrier.

What platform did you use to learn?
Na dat discipline me sef dey struggle with....but regardless We Move...TECH is the renewed HOPE bro...nt one yeye renewed sheggee!!!
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by guysbewise: 9:54pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
lol, be playing.
chinasaekpere must be a fool person to think that anyone cares about your degree when it comes to tech.

Oga, if you can solve the problem better than the CS guy, you will get the job ahead of him.

You must be fool if you don't know that it's by connections that most self-taught get a tech job with out a CS or programming related degree.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 9:59pm On Feb 08
guysbewise:

You must be fool if you don't know that it's by connections that most self-taught get a tech job
Connection?
Lol OK
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by BBIA: 10:06pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:

After using tailwindcss I can bet my balls that you wouldn’t want to go back to bootstrap that is a pin in the ass when it comes to customization.

Since I started using tailwind, I have never looked back.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 10:11pm On Feb 08
BBIA:

After using tailwindcss I can bet my balls that you wouldn’t want to go back to bootstrap that is a pin in the ass when it comes to customization.

Since I started using tailwind, I have never looked back.
Yeah but tailwind dey Bleep up sometimes.
I want to set w-80 from w-100 and it keeps misbehaving. I just usually use the react style prop to do what I want to do when it starts its wahala, however this means that setting breakpoints will be more difficult.

I am still getting a perfect hank on it Sha but so far, I think it is more flexible than Bootstrap.

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by BBIA: 10:19pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
Yeah but tailwind dey Bleep up sometimes.
I want to set w-80 from w-100 and it keeps misbehaving. I just usually use the react style prop to do what I want to do when it starts its wahala, however this means that setting breakpoints will be more difficult.

I am still getting a perfect hank on it Sha but so far, I think it is more flexible than Bootstrap.
That means you are missing something?

explain exactly what you intend to do lemme see if I can help?

what is your expected outcome and what is the result after you set it to w-80?

setting break points in tailwind is a breeze. you just prefix the size to the class and that’s it. eg lg:w-100 md:w-80 sm:w-60 xs:w-40 … thats it.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by MrSly(m): 10:25pm On Feb 08
iwriteall:

I'm not the cause of your frustrated life
others saw this as a joke that it was, but you with your big head.. you no get sense
You are the one frustrated. Everything you think about is women and fvck. You are very miserable. Your type is the reason why some silky ladies insult men as not having self control. See who is alleging frustration. Person who is already tired of life that all he thinks is sex. You are a big fool and a big disgrace.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 10:29pm On Feb 08
BBIA:

That means you are missing something?

explain exactly what you intend to do lemme see if I can help?

what is your expected outcome and what is the result after you set it to w-80?

setting break points in tailwind is a breeze. you just prefix the size to the class and that’s it. eg lg:w-100 md:w-80 sm:w-60 xs:w-40 … thats it.
I understand these things but sometimes, e go just misbehave. I no dey get patience at all 😅
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by oluplus(m): 10:34pm On Feb 08
Congrats bro
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by BBIA: 10:42pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
I understand these things but sometimes, e go just misbehave. I no dey get patience at all 😅
lol

e get one time wey I forget to add mx-auto to center <div> content. I wasted a whole day trying to figure it out. that time chatgpt no even exist to aid me in troubleshooting cry cry cry

the Good thing is that anything I learn the hard way in programming I can code and troubleshoot even in my sleep.

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Joseph1505(m): 11:59pm On Feb 08
chinasaekpere:
thank you.

I almoys gave up at some point. Learning tech is fuckinggvg hard men
earning from it is hard too?
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by johnstar(m): 12:00am On Feb 09
chinasaekpere:

How long did it take you to learn this?
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Joseph1505(m): 12:01am On Feb 09
Godblessx:
Congratulations.

I remember the first time I will get my dream job last year…I know the feeling, there’s money in tech! Just keep on improving yourself and join a community of devs if you’ve not also contribute to open source projects, etc..

If you have motivation it will work.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Access Bank Employs All 51 First Class Graduates Of Gombe State University / Reckitt Benckiser Nigeria Management Trainee Program 2014 / WORKFORCE Interview Invite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.