Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn (19785 Views)

Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer / BUA Group, French Firm Seal Deal For 200,000bpd Refinery / Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Blazebond(m): 1:53pm On Feb 02
ShugaSneh:
Good move, as long as it shouldn't be sold to head slammers or ewedu and amala munchers, that's my concern... thanks.

See yourself,very dull clown,they shouldn't sell it to your fellow country people but they can sell to former colonial masters of Africa.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Charly68: 1:56pm On Feb 02
Ummmn ; how will this news puts food on our table ? It is needless here
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Maga123: 2:01pm On Feb 02
Nigerians please shine wuna eyes takeover will mean more hikes in subscription.our law makers should be put in check seriuosly
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by immortalcrown(m): 2:04pm On Feb 02
COMPAQ:
Microsoft 365
Internet subscription
Netflix
Spotify
Adobe

True. But these subscriptions follows you everywhere you go. You can use them while in a moving vehicle or during break in a workplace.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 2:06pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:
[sub][/sub]
True. But these subscriptions follows you everywhere you go. You can use them while in a moving vehicle or during break in a workplace.

And you can go for days, weeks, months without using them, and you still have to pay full price, unless you cancel your subscription

Also, DSTV for a while had the option of watching its channels online...(meaning you could do same).
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Funkyswagzz(m): 2:08pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Startimes offers far more channels than NTA associated channels. It also broadcasts Bundesliga matches as well. And it is cheaper.

And they compete with DSTV, and are part owned by NTA.

If you want a NIgerian company, ye have to accept that it would cost a lot of money. As at now, none of our money men is interested in competing with DSTV.

Bro startimes is worth over $200m and nta invested only 20 billion naira, is that one investmentšŸ˜ The government need to partners with local investors not foreign investors that is only if they want to solve there problems. They have not taken full advantage of so many options available.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by immortalcrown(m): 2:09pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

And you can go for days, weeks, months without using them, and you still have to pay full price, unless you cancel your subscription

Also, DSTV for a while had the option of watching its channels online...(meaning you could do same).
There is still a huge difference. Should I also talk about adds that disrupt views on DSTV?
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 2:11pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:
There is still a huge difference. Should I also talk about adds that disrupt views on DSTV?

Nope. NO difference.

There is no such thing as pay as you go. No matter how long you spend on Netflix...you who spends 12 hours in a month, and the person that spends 23 hours per day every day for a month pay the same thing. Not by 'how much you watch, or how many hours you watch, or how you use'.

Same thing with DSTV.

At the end, the high cost of DSTV Has more to do with the expenses incurred in paying for the right to air the various channels. Foreign channels do not come cheap.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 2:13pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

Bro startimes is worth over $200m and nta invested only 20 billion naira, is that one investmentšŸ˜ The government need to partners with local investors not foreign investors that is only if they want to solve there problems. They have not taken full advantage of so many options available.

Even then, it is run as a joint venture.

At the end, it does compete with DSTV though.

LIke I said, airing foreign channels costs a lot of money, Your local money men don't want to invest

(We used to have NIgerian cable satellite companies though).
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Funkyswagzz(m): 2:15pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Even then, it is run as a joint venture.

At the end, it does compete with DSTV though.

LIke I said, airing foreign channels costs a lot of money, Your local money men don't want to invest

(We used to have NIgerian cable satellite companies though).

That is why I said the government need to create an enabling environment if not people won't invest and that is the problem
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 2:26pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

That is why I said the government need to create an enabling environment if not people won't invest and that is the problem

IN other words, government should 'dash them money'

Even if government gives them money, they still need to pay for channels, expansion, etc etc...and all that costs money.

A NIgerian cable company can survive in Nigeria. ABG survived for over 10 years, sometimes competing with DSTV. The problem is, are Nigerians ready to pay the kind of monthly subscription needed to keep a Nigerian company afloat so that it can afford interesting stuff?

When many of you are already grumbling about high prices of DSTV. (BY the way, Startimes is far more cheaper, and has a varied channel output.).

When NIgerians are ready to pay, Nigerian money men will put their cash where they will see return on investment. Nothing is free in Freetown.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Topmaike007(m): 2:29pm On Feb 02
dangoteinlaw:
Multichoice is going down. Ones Nigerians access unlimited data plans no one will know they exist. If you use apple tv you will hate cable tv even Netflix is nothing compared to apple tv plus.
but it is expensive but I am enjoying my crunchyroll

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by kpaofame: 2:31pm On Feb 02
Kelvinofficial:
Multi choice is a pan African media behemoth, but France, a well known economic saboteur to most African states wants to acquire the company through Canal+, to gain total media control and control the narratives of what and how happening all over Africa are portrayed.

I for one will like a Nigerian media company or any other African media company to be in charge of whatā€™s going on, in the African continent.

Any other thing is French toast of Smokescreen and propaganda, served with chill wine of neocolonialism.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this is just the glaring truth!

You are spot on!... this takeover bid is exactly a smokescreen to control the narrative of Africa. Media power is real and powerful, the west have used it endlessly to carry out their neocolonialism activities for long in Africa.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Topmaike007(m): 2:36pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

These people u mentioned are not Nigerian brand apart from nta. So tell me how many channels does nta have compared to multi choice. Nigeria as a country is virtually unproductive. Most companies that are even here are foreign and some of them are living. You guys don't understand how far behind we are yet things are getting worse. We need to get out of this subsidy mess first if not dollar will be at 2000 with time.

We seriously need to build a strong institution and tinubu is barely scratching the surface. Sometimes I ask myself are there external body holding Nigeria to ransom that we can barely move. All the federal institutions we have in Nigeria should be fully equipped with modern technology to improve the standard of study we get
Oga we have Morplex
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by oluwemimo713: 2:48pm On Feb 02
Dem don dey come small smallEnticed and enslaved mentality in the name of doing business.Dem don dey come small smallEnticed and enslaved mentality in the name of doing business....
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by chipet67(m): 2:57pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:
It is not by selling Multichoice or changing the name like Nigerian political parties.

Multichoice may end like Nokia. The billing is very high and very unfair. Pay-as-you-view model is the only way out for Multichoice, and it is the fair model for subscribers.

Someone who goes to work during the day and stays at home only at night shouldn't pay monthly subscription. How many hours in the month does the person have to watch TV? This is the scam MTN used on Nigerians until Glo came. MTN rejected billing per second. But in less than a month after Glo came with billing per second, MTN quickly started billing per second.

On-demand video streaming is here to stay. Monthly subscription for Netflix or Amazon is better because they follow you everywhere you go. You can even watch them while in a moving car or during a break at workplace.

If not that anything goes in Nigeria because average Nigerians lack common sense, the toys called Goteevee and Starrtimes, which function with the same subscription model and are owned by the same company, will not even sell. Many Nigerian homes waste money on them and dump them after a few years. Those toys can't move market in countries that spend wisely.
Carry your TV go work.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by SoNature(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02
Kelvinofficial:
Multi choice is a pan African media behemoth, but France, a well known economic saboteur to most African states wants to acquire the company through Canal+, to gain total media control and control the narratives of what and how happening all over Africa are portrayed.

I for one will like a Nigerian media company or any other African media company to be in charge of whatā€™s going on, in the African continent.

Any other thing is French toast of Smokescreen and propaganda, served with chill wine of neocolonialism.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this is just the glaring truth!

Nigerians don't have that kind of money the French company is proposing. We too dey hype this country. Nigeria isn't really a rich country, considering our GDP per capita.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by toujurs: 3:13pm On Feb 02
they won't sell grin
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by toujurs: 3:14pm On Feb 02
SoNature:

Nigerians don't have that kind of money the French company is proposing. We too dey hype this country. Nigeria isn't really a rich country, considering our GDP per capita.
otedola and mike adenuga, they can buy it.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Funkyswagzz(m): 3:15pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

IN other words, government should 'dash them money'

Even if government gives them money, they still need to pay for channels, expansion, etc etc...and all that costs money.

A NIgerian cable company can survive in Nigeria. ABG survived for over 10 years, sometimes competing with DSTV. The problem is, are Nigerians ready to pay the kind of monthly subscription needed to keep a Nigerian company afloat so that it can afford interesting stuff?

When many of you are already grumbling about high prices of DSTV. (BY the way, Startimes is far more cheaper, and has a varied channel output.).

When NIgerians are ready to pay, Nigerian money men will put their cash where they will see return on investment. Nothing is free in Freetown.

Obviously the sub can't be as expensive as dstv for a start. Lets not procastinate buh put in necessary work. You can't run a cable company and spend money on diesel like crazy. Also we need to improve our institutions so that students can carry proper experiment and research required. Any cable company here can't afford to pay foreign experts cos there sub will be very expensive that is why i strictly emphasis on government intervention. They really need to do more...
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by ibawon(m): 3:22pm On Feb 02
I told one of their rep that we can't call them to resolve issues but they can call us to renew, I advised them to change to ISP provider. Since I got my Starlink I no dey sub for DSTV again
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by SoNature(m): 3:24pm On Feb 02
toujurs:
otedola and mike adenuga, they can buy it.

You mean they will sell off their current businesses and investments to buy Multi Choice? You'd better wake up!

When you hear people's net worth, it means the money they have in bank and investments. Those reviewers don't even mention how much they are owing.

Those rich people owe banks billions of naira. Mind you, the richest among us use your money and my money to do business.

No Nigerian can pay that money (almost $1.7 billion) at a go. In fact, they will have to borrow a lot of money from several banks and pay the money over a period of time. The question is, "Is that what Multi Choice would want?"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by newoffer: 3:37pm On Feb 02
Market wey don burst already. If na me be multichoice I go sell am. If Netflix dey do fine without office here. Multichoice get online showmax with football. Why I go subscribe with 20k when 5k go give me access to football and movies
richeeyo:
The French never makes things cheaper
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Codes151(m): 3:40pm On Feb 02
AVOID FRENCH COMPANIES...

MODERN SLAVERY COMPANIES

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by COMPAQ(m): 3:57pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Thank you o jere. There is even DSTV stream. So that cancels the argument of not being at home to watch it. I watch Premier league on my phone when i'm in the barbing salon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by aywagze(m): 4:00pm On Feb 02
Dstv should have a timer on the decoder that only reads when the TV is on ..šŸ¤”
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by blaqsainz(m): 4:36pm On Feb 02
1.6 billion dollars=31 billion Rand
1.6 billion dollars=2.4 trillion naira
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Tonytonex(m): 4:46pm On Feb 02
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Tonytonex(m): 4:47pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:
It is not by selling Multichoice or changing the name like Nigerian political parties.

Multichoice may end like Nokia. The billing is very high and very unfair. Pay-as-you-view model is the only way out for Multichoice, and it is the fair model for subscribers.

Someone who goes to work during the day and stays at home only at night shouldn't pay monthly subscription. How many hours in the month does the person have to watch TV? This is the scam MTN used on Nigerians until Glo came. MTN rejected billing per second. But in less than a month after Glo came with billing per second, MTN quickly started billing per second.

On-demand video streaming is here to stay. Monthly subscription for Netflix or Amazon is better because they follow you everywhere you go. You can even watch them while in a moving car or during a break at workplace.

If not that anything goes in Nigeria because average Nigerians lack common sense, the toys called Goteevee and Starrtimes, which function with the same subscription model and are owned by the same company, will not even sell. Many Nigerian homes waste money on them and dump them after a few years. Those toys can't move market in countries that spend wisely.
I think I will port my MTN line to Glo.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Tonytonex(m): 4:52pm On Feb 02
georgee:
Are people still watching DSTV shocked shocked

I stopped subscribing for DSTV in 2017 and i have not looked back since then
mine was about that time too.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 5:08pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

Obviously the sub can't be as expensive as dstv for a start. Lets not procastinate buh put in necessary work. You can't run a cable company and spend money on diesel like crazy. Also we need to improve our institutions so that students can carry proper experiment and research required. Any cable company here can't afford to pay foreign experts cos there sub will be very expensive that is why i strictly emphasis on government intervention. They really need to do more...

No goverment is going to pay subsidies for something about one tenth of the population uses.

it is not a must that you must have dstv.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Depreciates To 410/$ At Official Market / Abubakar Malami Revokes MTN's $2 Billion Tax Case / 7 Problems You Can't Escape As An Entrepreneur in 2019 (here's What you must do)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.