Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? (17542 Views)

RICHARD6: Fulfil Your Money Back Guarantee / Make Better Future / Make A Wise Choice To Have A Better Future,the Time Is Now: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by coogar: 4:27pm On Nov 09, 2011
Walala:

Which ISP is the best in Lagos in terms of speed and data usage? Is there any unlimited usage?

nobody in nigeria can even tell you that answer.

freedom of information is zero. if you try too hard, they will misinform you.
shouldn't there be a government service that one can task to provide this kind of information so foreign investors can know?
some people will say glo. others will say mtn, some others will say cobra.

i have been asking various people this information, the point is many don't even know the difference between speed(bit/sec) and size(bytes).
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 09, 2011
coogar:

they pay that same tax in nigeria with nothing to show for it.

which tax,the last i remmeber was paying Nepa and when my dad paid the water bill our landlord was angry cos he said the water people will now start sending bills to us as soon as we pay it
which other tax,are talking of the television tax of the 80s?maybe i have been out of naija for too long but what other taxes do you pay
dont mention ow ile and co cos thats just obtaining
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by coogar: 4:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
milehigh06:

which tax,the last i remmeber was paying Nepa and when my dad paid the water bill our landlord was angry cos he said the water people will now start sending bills to us as soon as we pay it
which other tax,are talking of the television tax of the 80s?maybe i have been out of naija for too long but what other taxes do you pay
dont mention ow ile and co cos thats just obtaining

they tax people's salary in nigeria. ain't you aware of that?
some nigerians pay tenement rates too(like council tax) - the local government tell lies and make empty promises of street lights, tarred roads, flowing drainpipes, huge power transformers, etc. in the end, nothing gets done.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Walala(m): 4:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
coogar:

nobody in nigeria can even tell you that answer.

freedom of information is zero. if you try too hard, they will misinform you.
shouldn't there be a government service that one can task to provide this kind of information so foreign investors can know?
some people will say glo. others will say mtn, some others will say cobra.

i have been asking various people this information, the point is many don't even know the difference between speed(bit/sec) and size(bytes).

Its an absolute shame because everything i use at home from tv, to home office to play station to apple stuffs all run over the internet and the thought of letting go of some usage because some company gives me only 5Gb of data a month is crazy. What ever happened to Adenuga's glo marine 1 cable that was supposed to break new grounds in terms of data?
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by coogar: 4:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
Walala:

Its an absolute shame because everything i use at home from tv, to home office to play station to apple stuffs all run over the internet and the thought of letting go of some usage because some company gives me only 5Gb of data a month is crazy. What ever happened to Adenuga's glo marine 1 cable that was supposed to break new grounds in terms of data?

his optic fibre technology needs land telephony to connect most nigerians, otherwise it's a sheer of waste of money.
he's trying to buy nitel now so the high-speed internet can use the old nitel cables which millions of nigerians will find very affordable like here in the west. i am sure the government's bureaucracy is stalling mike adenuga.

obasanjo is a bastard wherever he is. when mtn and econcet came calling in 2001, obasanjo should have coaxed them into investing and reviving telephone lines. the idiotic president(clueless about technology) did none of that and the mobile phone craze spread like virus. every country needs land telephony because of technologies like the optic fibre and even digital tv. if adenuga does not succeed with the acquisition of nitel - the optic fibre stuff would be a waste or it will be damn too expensive for the average nigerian cos that means globacom would have to provide fresh lines to serve the multitude of the internet users.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 09, 2011
me i dont knw o, all i knw is, after my law school, i dey come back home, home, home home, how much do these law firms pay though, chai me i get big dreams, but now, my bank account na 2 dollars grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by freezy(m): 4:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
^^^^

Bros, I know lots of law firms that pay like 10k-15k NGN a month o. lipsrsealed
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by babyboy3(m): 4:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
UK:
1. Good Security (can sleep peacefully without keeping reserve cash for robbers)
2. Steady power (no generator rumbling dt gives migrane)
3. Water supply (steady as long as u pay bills)
3. Affordable clothes (all types)
4. Good transportation networks & infrastructure
5. Free primary & secondary education (real talk)
6. Availability of all kinds of jobs (menial to professional)
7. Learning from a multi-cultural society (so many tribes!)
8. Defensible policies about how my tax is spent (wish our politicians cud see how the PM defends his policies)
8. Emergency responses @ d speed of light
9. Contentment with whatever standard of life you choose without pressure
10. Affordable food too (smart prices  )

Did I tell you that, apart from dating the traditional Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa girls, you have the luxury of casting your net further like Ghanaian, Saro, Soma, SA, Arabian, Turkish, Greek, French, Italo, German, Polish, Romanian, Jamo, West Indian, Asian like Indian, Paki, Japanese and many more, your horizon would broaden, you learn new cultures, you wont have a narrow view of things that happen in our lives, you wont be quick to blame A,B or C everytime, to be rich doesnt mean you have to have 10 cars, or be fat like tomorrow would never come, you could see why the Europeans have a longer life-span than Africans put aside the poverty, peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by hajifaty: 4:58pm On Nov 09, 2011
Everything depends on your destiny. It is not everyone that are living abroad are well okay. ordinary pple back home are much beta than them. Lets pray for nigeria to have a good leadership. We have everything that can change our life for good.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by abbey621(m): 4:59pm On Nov 09, 2011
Each time this topic comes up, we receive so many outrageous postings, like the guy that said he came back from Canada to land a 500k job, please sir, give us the full details, state the name of the company and the position, and what you did 2 land such a position because you make it look so easy. I'll tell Nigerians this, if you are lazy, spoiled or doing fine in Nigeria, don't bother travelling abroad especially the U.S., but if you are struggling, hard working and innovative then you'll definitely do better abroad. The key to travelling abroad is not all these F1 or H1 visas, you need a real visa that allows you to work with the peace of mind, visa lottery, permanent residency and so on gives you a better chance of success abroad. One major thing to consider is this, in Nigeria 80% of the graduates from universities are unemployed or underemployed for over 2 years, the lucky ones secure a job of 40 to 80k, this equates to about 250 to 500 dollars a month, with a bachelor degree from an accredited school in the U.S, you make the minimal of 1,500 to 2,000 dollars per month, deduct tax and you're still left with 1,000 to 1,500, now tell me who's better off. The fact remains that Ori ya to si Ori, each situation is different and cannot be generalized, I can only speak for myself, when it comes to income and security, I'll pick the U.S over 9ja any time, any day!!!!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
freezy:

^^^^

Bros, I know lots of law firms that pay like 10k-15k NGN a month o. lipsrsealed

equivalent of 70 dollars? nah am good
i dnt want to work in a family firm though, smh, maybe i should go and search for the biggest firm in nigeria, on google
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by dayokanu(m): 5:05pm On Nov 09, 2011
abbey621:

Each time this topic comes up, we receive so many outrageous postings, like the guy that said he came back from Canada to land a 500k job, please sir, give us the full details, state the name of the company and the position, and what you did 2 land such a position because you make it look so easy. I'll tell Nigerians this, if you are lazy, spoiled or doing fine in Nigeria, don't bother travelling abroad especially the U.S., but if you are struggling, hard working and innovative then you'll definitely do better abroad. The key to travelling abroad is not all these F1 or H1 visas, you need a real visa that allows you to work with the peace of mind, visa lottery, permanent residency and so on gives you a better chance of success abroad. One major thing to consider is this, in Nigeria 80% of the graduates from universities are unemployed or underemployed for over 2 years, the lucky ones secure a job of 40 to 80k, this equates to about 250 to 500 dollars a month, with a bachelor degree from an accredited school in the U.S, you make the minimal of 1,500 to 2,000 dollars per month, deduct tax and you're still left with 1,000 to 1,500, now tell me who's better off. The fact remains that Ori ya to si Ori, each situation is different and cannot be generalized, I can only speak for myself, when it comes to income and security, I'll pick the U.S over 9ja any time, any day!!!!

Well said
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by AjanleKoko: 5:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
As usual, stoopid Nigerians will only use money as a comparison. Lazy, hungry people tongue undecided, it's only how to fill the belly they are interested in, never the mind,
A sojourn abroad will always guarantee a wider perspective, fresher ideas, and of course more opportunities to develop and achieve. Nigerians only know how to yansh down somewhere and chop. In the words of Fela, we are largely a people of 'low mentality'. Mind you, not low intelligence, just low mentality. We just cannot raise our perceptions of how we see life.

In my personal opinion, a lot of Obama's success can be traced to the diversity in his upbringing and exposure to different cultures at various times in his life. I find it particularly interesting that the guy opted to work as a community organizer after a Harvard law degree. An average Naija guy would have been like, Goldman Sachs till I quench! The pay na to die for! Hungry people only want to eat, and have little desire for anything else. Whatever may be said about Obama, I can understand why the guy is president today.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by suntprince: 5:22pm On Nov 09, 2011
really the truth is that travelling abroad is good as a part of education and experiences in ones life.but not as an economically depressed emigrant going to others you don't know for succour,really our country is great but has fallen from its major political,economical and moral goals to chasing shadows.unfortunately am abroad in in the UK this is as a result of the situation in our country and how they treat us, i left for studies simply because i was refused admission into the university 3 times after making 280 in jamb without malpractices. I mean it is something painful,I advice anyone who has the opportunity to travel abroad should do it will refine his or her intellect more.thanks
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by john6006: 5:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
I feel you (Suntprince).
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by INFO70: 5:37pm On Nov 09, 2011
CAPITAL NO
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by blasterman(m): 5:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
If you are abroad and acquire good skills that will help  you  succed in that environment and anyother i think  its a good idea to travel  and  it can gurantee success but most importantly is knowing the best time to leave overseas esp when you are about to become illegal.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
abbey621:

one of the best responses I have read on here
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by ay79: 6:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
I think the question should not be generalised as it depends on what you really want to do in life. There is no way possible u compare the west to nigeria. Nigeria has it's positives as well no doubt. Here in the west you pay quite a lot on taxes but at least you enjoy all the benefits that comes with it. Most Nigerian residents are very misleading when it comes to topics like this with ref to the gentleman that landed a 500k naira job without proper details. I am considering coming back home to invest but I have to be fully convinced in my researches b4 I take that step. I have been into business to and from Nigeria but in 3 years I have only managed to get it right this time. You get calls from Nigeria placing all sort of orders and in large quantities but believe me you take the orders down to them they tell all sorts of stories and excuses but I thank God am wise and still learning now. Pls it will be wise to advise wisely on this forum and not mislead people and like someone pointed out people just wanna get rich without tasking their brains.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 09, 2011
kiss
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:28pm On Nov 09, 2011
abbey621:

Erm Bros!!

For the sake of me wanting to maintain my annonymity, I will not put my complimentary card on here but I'll provide you with some details!

I work for Total Nigeria Limited (an oil Company) as a contract Staff. I will tell you my job description as well, but that would make me easy to identify. I started working in March this year. And 500,000'k is just an estimate o! My Contract sum is for 35'k per day, multiplied by 22 working days per month, do the maths!! Now my contractor takes 20% of that, so on and so. . . I was lucky no doubt, but even then, life here was much more easier for me than it was in Canada. I was making money that was just enough for me to survive and keep my head above water without making any reasonable savings! Now thats bullshi't. I know alot of families who look like they are livinglarge in the U.S, U.K and co but if you look closely, you'll see that their houses, cars and virtually everything  they have are all on a mortgage.

A H1 visa in the United States of America is the next best thing to winning a green Card. I have a 4 year, multiple entry, H1 Visa (which is a full working Visa) and my Permanent residence in Canada means that by the middle of next year, I'll be eligible to get my Canadian Passport (so yes sir, I can work legally in the whole of North America!). The point I was making was this, It is not easy anywhere jor! I saw men with Masters degrees woking for 16 dollars an hour at Mac donalds and KFC. I still remember that as at October last year, I was begging for a job with a security company in Canada and they were jerking me around. I was a laborer working as a cleaner in construction sites by day and applying to Superstores and what have you by night. I still remember meeting a Nigerian Man in Toronto who was a doctor and had to work two jobs to keep his head above ground.

O And lest I forget, I am a Geological Engineer o!! So you know. Alot of people abroad are suffering! Lets not even front! And to make it worse, I remember that I once got a call from SGS in Canada for an interview and they told me that because I studied in Ghana, I needed to do some courses in Canada to enable me work as a geologist there because I wasnt thought the behaivior of minerals and materials in snow!! I almost went mad!

Look! To all you who are doing menial jobs abroad just to get by, your hussle would pay more in Naija! Less taxes and you can feed for less money as well.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by fxtopedia(m): 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
Capital NO
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by coogar: 6:47pm On Nov 09, 2011
Okija_juju:

Erm Bros!!

For the sake of me wanting to maintain my annonymity, I will not put my complimentary card on here but I'll provide you with some details!

I work for Total Nigeria Limited (an oil Company) as a contract Staff. I will tell you my job description as well, but that would make me easy to identify. I started working in March this year. And 500,000'k is just an estimate o! My Contract sum is for 35'k per day, multiplied by 22 working days per month, do the maths!! Now my contractor takes 20% of that, so on and so. . . I was lucky no doubt, but even then, life here was much more easier for me than it was in Canada. I was making money that was just enough for me to survive and keep my head above water without making any reasonable savings! Now thats bullshi't. I know alot of families who look like they are livinglarge in the U.S, U.K and co but if you look closely, you'll see that their houses, cars and virtually everything  they have are all on a mortgage.

A H1 visa in the United States of America is the next best thing to winning a green Card. I have a 4 year, multiple entry, H1 Visa (which is a full working Visa) and my Permanent residence in Canada means that by the middle of next year, I'll be eligible to get my Canadian Passport (so yes sir, I can work legally in the whole of North America!). The point I was making was this, It is not easy anywhere jor! I saw men with Masters degrees woking for 16 dollars an hour at Mac donalds and KFC. I still remember that as at October last year, I was begging for a job with a security company in Canada and they were jerking me around. I was a laborer working as a cleaner in construction sites by day and applying to Superstores and what have you by night. I still remember meeting a Nigerian Man in Toronto who was a doctor and had to work two jobs to keep his head above ground.

O And lest I forget, I am a Geological Engineer o!! So you know. Alot of people abroad are suffering! Lets not even front! And to make it worse, I remember that I once got a call from SGS in Canada for an interview and they told me that because I studied in Ghana, I needed to do some courses in Canada to enable me work as a geologist there because I wasnt thought the behaivior of minerals and materials in snow!! I almost went mad!

Look! To all you who are doing menial jobs abroad just to get by, your hussle would pay more in Naija! Less taxes and you can feed for less money as well.

okija-juju, why didn't you add to your skills whilst in canada?
if i know anyone with a bachelors degree working as a cleaner, i would slap him in the face - that is so wrong.

the knowledge base is already there. what's left is to combine that degree with a recognised certification and you would be balling.
if you have added ordinary project management certification or acca to your degree, you wouldn't be cleaning toilet bowls for oyibo people.
don't travel abroad thinking a ghanaian or nigerian certificate would get you somewhere - they don't recognise those. increase the skills and you are guaranteed a good job. contract jobs too paying as much as £300-£600 per day.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by newdeal(m): 6:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
Is staying anywhere {home or abroad} a guarantee for a better future?
You define your better future and create it with the means you have or can access, wherever you live!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by johndavid1(m): 7:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
newdeal:

Is staying anywhere {home or abroad} a guarantee for a better future?
You define your better future and create it with the means you have or can access, wherever you live!
Gbaam!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Olalekan0(m): 7:07pm On Nov 09, 2011
@Okija-juju, your right up makes no sense whatsoever!
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by chamber2(m): 7:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Olalekan 0:

Well, if it doesnt to you it may make lots of sense to others in similar situation. I found his story very inspiring

coogar:

okija-juju, why didn't you add to your skills whilst in canada?
if i know anyone with a bachelors degree working as a cleaner, i would slap him in the face - that is so wrong.

the knowledge base is already there. what's left is to combine that degree with a recognised certification and you would be balling.
if you have added ordinary project management certification or acca to your degree, you wouldn't be cleaning toilet bowls for oyibo people.
don't travel abroad thinking a ghanaian or nigerian certificate would get you somewhere - they don't recognise those. increase the skills and you are guaranteed a good job. contract jobs too paying as much as £300-£600 per day.

I think he has a masters degree too. He once said something like that.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
Olalekan 0:

im sorry sir, but whats your problem with my write up and i'll be glad to explain it to you,

@ Chambers 2

I indeed do hold a Masters degree in Engr. Geology from the Uni. Of Portsmouth,

@ Coogar

I am wiser now!! Here's my game plan! I am gonna become a Canadian by the middle of Next year, I intend to up my CV with as much certifications as possible and start working here in Nigeria as an expartraite and start earning in dollars. I never hesitate to tell anyone who cares to listen that you can survive abroad, but you can hardly become rich, but here in Naija, you can become so rich and afford to go abroad and live well. I now have greater respect for Nigeria. Bad as it is.

1 Like

Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by alexola20(m): 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 09, 2011
The only reason why I still look to naija is purely sentimental. If i could relocate my immediate family to out of Nigeria, i won't even look back o. For me it's has never been about money, coming to the UK remains the best thing that ever happened to me, I pursued all my aspirations
Nigeria as country is a killer of dreams  angry cry
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by coogar: 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ Coogar

I am wiser now!! Here's my game plan! I am gonna become a Canadian by the middle of Next year, I intend to up my CV with as much certifications as possible and start working here in Nigeria as an expartraite and start earning in dollars. I never hesitate to tell anyone who cares to listen that you can survive abroad, but you can hardly become rich, but here in Naija, you can become so rich and afford to go abroad and live well. I now have greater respect for Nigeria. Bad as it is.

is there a price on the security of one's life?

alexola20:

Pay me a million naira every month,I will still prefer doing menial job in the west,where my life is secured, Nobody is breaking my door in the mid of the night

okija-juju, can you read this?

as you can see, it depends on what works for most people.
some people would rather make 100k naira per month equivalent abroad when they know that money is very safe with no armed robbers threatening the neighbourhood to the 1 million naira per month you make in nigeria but with one eye closed when sleeping.
life versus more money. most people would choose life. grin if not many of us would be in iraq by now.
Re: Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? by glowithdan(m): 8:10pm On Nov 09, 2011
Different stories for different folks! It's simple, life in the UK is not a bed of roses! You pay as tax almost everything you work hard for; and one thing is for sure- YOU MAKE NOTHING AT THE END!!!

Healthcare is certain, but not free; Power is constant, but not free; road network is perfect, but 80% of the people still fail the driving test (the tax you pay on your car is enough to start a business back home; talk of accommodation, a three bed apartment goes for 1500-2700 pounds per month (calculate those figures for two years, and evaluate the cost of erecting a three bed bungalow in Nigeria); You bye a TV set, you pay tax on it (even if you get any TV station or not); paying almost 100 pounds every month on "council" tax for your home, is definitely no child's play either, I can go on and on.

Yes, someone did say something about security. In Nigeria, the rule of law is lacking totally, while in the UK, abuse to privileges and the likes is very minimal.

And to cap it up, with your black face and racial background, its almost impossible to secure a permanent job in the UK!

It's simple as those!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Bank Admits EFCC Investigation Over ‘diezani Funds’ / How Can I Start A Small Scale 20 To 50 Birds Poultry Business? / Power Supply Drops By 1047mw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.