Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,479 members, 7,826,809 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? (4420 Views)

Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans / How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? / Biafran Website, A Nation Falls Whenever They Lose Their Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by odumchi: 12:31am On Nov 09, 2011
I've been wondering, how did we [Africans] lose our resistance to tropical diseases such as malaria and yellow fever? 200 years ago, we were virtually immune to these diseases and now they continue to claim lives.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Rgp92: 12:43am On Nov 09, 2011
We became too religious. 200 year ago, we would go out to find the cure. Today most african would rather pray to "god" than work.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by kelz88(f): 2:36am On Nov 09, 2011
^^^ I concur grin

We have decided to burden God instead of helping ourselves with the resources he has given us.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by eghost247(m): 9:39am On Nov 09, 2011
Rgp92:

We became too religious. 200 year ago, we would go out to find the cure. Today most african would rather pray to "god" than work.
lol quite funny but real truth
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Ggee(m): 9:42am On Nov 09, 2011
We became westernised. See that the western drug is only one that is good. Our normal herbs 'agbo' is not good anymore.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 09, 2011
I still gat ma own IMMUNITY.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 09, 2011
I still gat ma own IMMUNITY.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by freecocoa(f): 10:24am On Nov 09, 2011
And who said people weren't dying of these ailments 200 years ago?
These diseases, I'm sure people died from back then but they didn't know what it was,they termed most of those that died from one disease or the other back then"OBANJE" or a curse from the gods,the only thing I agree with is that the death rate is higher now,saying people were totally"IMMUNE to them 200 years ago is not true.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by freepeople: 10:28am On Nov 09, 2011
odumchi:

I've been wondering, how did we [Africans] lose our resistance to tropical diseases such as malaria and yellow fever? 200 years ago, we were virtually immune to these diseases and now they continue to claim lives.

One of the reason for this is poverty. African population is increasing in geometric progression while the resources to cater for her population is increasing in arithmetic progression. Africans are richer 200yrs ago than they were now in terms of per capita. Poverty is directly related to malnutrition. Malnutrition leads to loss of immunity. While the loss of immunity makes us susceptible to diseases.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Nayah(f): 10:43am On Nov 09, 2011
Ggee:

We became westernised. See that the western drug is only one that is good. Our normal herbs 'agbo' is not good anymore.
I don't think so brother otherwise , instead of praying for our healing we would straightly go to hospital like westerners do

Poster good morning, I think this is also about new environnement, food which is less and less healthy almost everywhere in the globe and we African don't do the exception
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by proudly9ja(m): 10:54am On Nov 09, 2011
Rgp92:

On the contrary. I think we were religious back in the days. Back then, we attributed deaths from such diseases to some gods being angry and so they were 'appeased'.

Another explanation - maybe the diseases are now 'immune' to our drugs grin grin
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by prechear(m): 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
simply our lifestyle. it changed! we started eating processed food instead of 'greens'. driving about instead of walking d distance. too much beer instead of palmwine and water. the list goes on, we need to change these habits or even loose our immunity to even infection like catarrh
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by kpolli(m): 12:36pm On Nov 09, 2011
Where u dere 200years ago?

Rumor spreader
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Rgp92: 12:58pm On Nov 09, 2011
kpolli:

Where u dere 200years ago?

Rumor spreader

If you got nothing to contribute, just shut up! angry
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by odumchi: 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
freecocoa:

And who said people weren't dying of these ailments 200 years ago?
  These diseases, I'm sure people died from back then but they didn't know what it was,they termed most of those that died from one disease or the other back then"OBANJE" or a curse from the gods,the only thing I agree with is that the death rate is higher now,saying people were totally"IMMUNE to them 200 years ago is not true.

What I mean to say is that back then, people didn't need mosquito nets, mosquito pills or mosquito spray to survive. And also consider that at that time, most people went about "topless" so that ought to suggest a few things. This was also one of the reasons why Africans were sold of as slaves to work in the mosquito-infested Carribean.

I'm bit saying that people never died from it, but not in the amount we see today.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by kpolli(m): 1:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
odumchi:

What I mean to say is that back then, people didn't need mosquito nets, mosquito pills or mosquito spray to survive. And also consider that at that time, most people went about "topless" so that ought to suggest a few things. This was also one of the reasons why Africans were sold of as slaves to work in the mosquito-infested Carribean.

I'm bit saying that people never died from it, but not in the amount we see today.

How wud they need net, when they used to hunt mosquitoes then grin #OkBye
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by odumchi: 1:23pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nayah:

I don't think so brother otherwise , instead of praying for our healing we would straightly go to hospital like westerners do

Poster good morning, I think this is also about new environnement, food which is less and less healthy almost everywhere in the globe and we African don't do the exception

Good morning, Nayah. You know if anything, I'd day that food is abundant now than it was then. Asian rice, potatoes, chickens and etc all came after that time period. Maybe there are just a large amount of mouths to feed but the same amount of food. Who knows?
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Nayah(f): 1:37pm On Nov 09, 2011
odumchi:

Good morning, Nayah. You know if anything, I'd day that food is abundant now than it was then. Asian rice, potatoes, chickens and etc all came after that time period. Maybe there are just a large amount of mouths to feed but the same amount of food. Who knows?
hEY oDUMUCHI HOW ARE YOU TODAY?
Well I was refering to many chemical things imported that Africans eat! wink
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by anonymous6(f): 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by yommysomguy(m): 4:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
Alexander the great died as a result of malaria, That wasnt 200 years ago
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Rgp92: 4:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
yommysomguy:

Alexander the great died as a result of malaria, That wasnt 200 years ago

Alexander was not African. So your point mate? undecided

Before total brainwash, Africans were more Advance in medicine that Europe. One of the few thing they cant disagree on. How herbalism was far more superior to their chemical stuff.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by iDoc(m): 4:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
True, food may be much more abundant today than it was 200 years ago, but it's mainly overprocessed and probably not as nutritious as what our ancestors ate. Besides food contains medicinal components, for instance there are over 15 different natural foods with anti malarial properties and I can confidently tell you that I have never had to treat malaria again for the last three (3) years since I discovered this.

Finally there are more toxins in our air and water today than there were 200years ago, and many of these toxins destroy the immune system, such as heavy metals, plastic compounds e.t.c.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 09, 2011
The disease causing bacterias and viruses are getting immuned to our body system.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by lagcity(m): 8:21pm On Nov 09, 2011
Africans didn't lose their immunity, some are immuned and some are not. End of story. Sickle cell carriers are still less susceptible to Malaria than other ppl.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 09, 2011
I took a class for this, never taking one of them African classes again. Boring as heck cool
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by amor4ce(m): 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
Western (Amorite) lifestyle
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by ifyalways(f): 10:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
I so agree with Pro1.

We became over westernised.Palm wine is razz beer is cool,dogonyaro is evil and dirty quinine is cool,garden egg is local and out of fashion,Cocumber is classy and in vogue.

We wan yellow pass yellow.
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by odumchi: 12:23am On Nov 10, 2011
Does a change of diet mean change of resistance?
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by cynthiafred67(f): 9:04pm On Nov 10, 2011
prechear:

simply our lifestyle. it changed! we started eating processed food instead of 'greens'. driving about instead of walking d distance. too much beer instead of palmwine and water. the list goes on, we need to change these habits or even loose our immunity to even infection like catarrh

^^^ I totally agree wit u.

ifyalways:

I so agree with Pro1.

We became over westernised.Palm wine is razz beer is cool,dogonyaro is evil and dirty quinine is cool,garden egg is local and out of fashion,Cocumber is classy and in vogue.

We wan yellow pass yellow.

Lol true talk
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by mallamholy(m): 9:32pm On Nov 10, 2011
@ i,,doc

pls share with us those natural foods that contain medicinal components that u know. thanks in advance
Re: How Did African Lose Their Immunity To Tropical Diseases? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:46am On Nov 11, 2011
white man brought spiritual and materialistic disease, i.e., christianity and smallpox.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Cultural Traditions Preserved By Survivors Of Slavery -chief Styles / Where To Buy Handmade Palm Kernel Oil In Lagos, Nigeria / What Do You Call Colour Red, Black, White Etc In Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.