Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,186 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? (10762 Views)

The Labor Market Is Savage! / The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market / N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Hamachi(f): 7:18am On Feb 06
This is post is targeted at graduates of 1-10 years.

Few days ago, a graduate of 10 years threatened to burn his certificate, this got me thinking.. Is it that bad? A graduate of 10 years cannot map out a career path or business plan to follow tentatively. This thoughts actually formulated these questions..

Are you doing what you envisaged as an undergraduate, or are you utilizing your survival instinct's.
If you affirm the formal..
What is it?
What are your challenges?
Is it related to course of study?

And if the later is affirmed..
What are those things you do to survive?

Your experience will help mold undergraduates and graduates alike and in turn, deter them from towing that shameful path like burning of certificate e.t.c

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by muyico(m): 7:44am On Feb 06
I,working in different field not my professional field/disciplines!

25 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Rubyjade: 7:51am On Feb 06
Most graduates these days are just managing to survive if we want to tell ourselves the truth.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Oyindamolah: 7:56am On Feb 06
I must say the journey has not been that easy. I never sought for employment though. I had been running business: Recharge Card in Bulk before it went South after some robbery incident.

I got a job, but that life was not what I was designed for. I resigned and went back to the drawing board.

Presently I freelance and I think I have made in 2 years what I was only able to gather in 5 years.

My ADVISE:
Enterpreneurship is not for everyone and office is not for everyone. Understand your calling and follow it. But I think it is okay to gather experience working with a corporate firm for 5 years before launching your own business full time.

Note:
It is foolish working at a Job without having a side business for passive income

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Pojomojo: 8:05am On Feb 06
Honestly being a graduate and searching for jobs for survival after the stressful lectures and burning of midnight candles is like trying to walk from Nigeria to USA.

I was lucky to get a job after my NYSC, as a contact agent with an outsourcing firm where I picked 500 calls per day. I had to leave due to constant pains in my ear, customers abusing you, threatening to kill you because our service is experiencing a downtime, not to mention many things that made the job stressful with 30k salary

I got lucky to manoeuvre my way to another company an IT company as the head of a department and an assistant to the boss, before leaving to like two places, can you imagine a Mech engr working as an admin and HR, which I doubt can't happen in the western country. I had another one before COVID-19 collected it from me

The problem is that Nigerian government and our lectures don't prepared us for the labour market, all they are after is just to read from test books and collect their salaries.

I keep telling people, not all graduate would be an employer of labour, setting up a company is not an easy task, considering many factors that is not in place in this country chief among them is power supply

Nigeria is not just the place to be honestly, anytime I wake up and I discovered that I'm still in this country nah vex I dey use wake up for bed, no light, no food, no water, no safety net, poor health care system

Please my husband is still in need of job, his versatile in the area of finance and tax matters, hotel management & facility maintenance. Our location is Lagos and please make unah help us and pikin dey house oooo.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Cassandraloius: 8:12am On Feb 06
I finished 2019 and all the 30-40k job offer makes me looks like I'm not trying my best, the salary no hold water.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by IyaTola: 11:55am On Feb 06
cry
Cassandraloius:
I finished 2019 and all the 30-40k job offer makes me looks like I'm not trying my best, the salary no hold water.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by ocheketurah: 1:06pm On Feb 06
cry
Did int'l relations in uni after graduation no job, I sent out application countless of letters to every known major organization still yet no job.

Alot of people came with the idea that I should learn a trade and create job for myself, I put on my thinking cap but still yet I couldn't figure out what biz or trade I could venture into because of no capital. Even when I had capital set up something small jst to survive Lagos State Task Force, destroyed it said we were encroaching on the road, I picked up myself up again, set anther petty business, they used taxes to kill the business from Local Government to LASAA, LASEPA, LIRS, Agbero, I sold it off, oya na i enter keke make i try dey survive, they day I took delivery of the keke, that night, robbers stole it from my compound.

I cannot go come and kill myself, I just jejely look for one hp system, bought Airtel WIFI, got a solar system that can power my laptops 24/7 and then start my street hustle and I have never for once regretted this decision because I now earn more money than the average bank manager. Even my colleagues criticizing me back then are the ones pleading now to learn from me. Yeah you read that right. The average street girl makes an average of 150k in less than 3 days do the math. I have a land in Sapele, just finished the foundation

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Meerahbel: 4:17pm On Feb 06
ocheketurah:
cry
Did int'l relations in uni after graduation no job, I sent out application countless of letters to every known major organization still yet no job.

Alot of people came with the idea that I should learn a trade and create job for myself, I put on my thinking cap but still yet I couldn't figure out what biz or trade I could venture into because of no capital. Even when I had capital set up something small jst to survive Lagos State Task Force, destroyed it said we were encroaching on the road, I picked up myself up again, set anther petty business, they used taxes to kill the business from Local Government to LASAA, LASEPA, LIRS, Agbero, I sold it off, oya na i enter keke make i try dey survive, they day I took delivery of the keke, that night, robbers stole it from my compound.

I cannot go come and kill myself, I just jejely look for one hp system, bought Airtel WIFI, got a solar system that can power my laptops 24/7 and then start my street hustle and I have never for once regretted this decision because I now earn more money than the average bank manager. Even my colleagues criticizing me back then are the ones pleading now to learn from me. Yeah you read that right. The average street girl makes an average of 150k in less than 3 days do the math. I have a land in Sapele, just finished the foundation
This is prostitution, PERIOD!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Meerahbel: 6:50pm On Feb 06
grin
muyico:
I,working in different field not my professional field/disciplines!
Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Harmonee: 8:08pm On Feb 06
For legit job updates and career tips:

https://chat(.)whatsapp.com/E2cCsqvY5r0KwBzQoICqEh

Copy link and remove brackets around dot (.)
Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Pojomojo: 8:57am On Feb 08
Imagine a private company in Osun State paying graduates N40k as a monthly salary. Paying 40k to graduates in this current economic hardship is unfair. Unfortunately, the graduates who work with the company said they have no choice, although, we are trying to get better offers within Osogbo in sha Allah.

Also, imagine one of the most profitable companies in Nigeria collecting money from its staff for training. If the company is afraid that the staff will run away after the training then they should have a bond agreement with the staff.

However, if you think critically, you wouldn't fault the company's decision because whether the bond agreement or not, the staff can leave the company after the training without the company knowing their whereabouts. Probably, Japa to America to Canada and used the certificate of the training to get a better offer there while the Nigerian company suffered from professional staff.

Nigerians are the greatest problem of Nigeria. No exceptions.
Cassandraloius:

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Skillsnigeria: 12:37pm On Feb 08
Hmmm
Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by PinkNature: 12:38pm On Feb 08
embarassed
Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Femich18(m): 12:40pm On Feb 08
What we are into right now is totally different from what we learnt in school.
I can't even remember anything on the type of virus and bacteria we studied during our undergraduate days.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by moscobabs(m): 12:41pm On Feb 08
tongue
Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Hezzyluv: 12:43pm On Feb 08
I tried my best to get a job to no avail. I decided to gather the little money I had with me, told my sister to augument it for me, I needed to buy keke (marwa) which I did. I thank God I can be able to save the minimum of 7k per day. (I don almost get the money i used buy the keke). Note, "l only work from 7am to 12 noon" then I give it to someone to work in the evening while I use the remaining hours to go learn tech skill.

Marwa I bought around 1.5m about 9months ago, now cost around 2.4m.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Matrix137(m): 12:43pm On Feb 08
Not been easy

I remember opening this thread few days ago

https://www.nairaland.com/7990131/using-what-studied-school-real

Quite an interesting revelation on there.

Now back to the question.

I have found my calling which is to do the Lord's work as everything else matters less

However, I'm a graduate of Public Administration (2:2) and will really need a part time job to augment as things have really gone haywire since this administration as i have lost my small business and became seriously indebted.

Remain blessed Y'all

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by JayPeeOham: 12:49pm On Feb 08
Hamachi:

Few days ago, a graduate of 10 years threatened to burn his certificate, this got me thinking.. Is it that bad? A graduate of 10 years cannot map out a career path or business plan to follow tentatively. This thoughts actually formulated these questions..

Are you doing what you envisaged as an undergraduate, or are you utilizing your survival instinct's.
What is it?

Your experience will help mold undergraduates and graduates alike and in turn, deter them from towing that shameful path like burning of certificate e.t.c

Hamachi what's up? I have tried joining Job Zone Whatsapp group severally, but the link keeps failing, what can I do?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by free2ryhme: 12:49pm On Feb 08
Hamachi:

What is it?

tell the graduate who threatened to burn his certificates to do it, Did he also threatened to get a degree?

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Nairalander248: 12:50pm On Feb 08
Hamachi:

What is it?

Some people are just fortunate like me though..

I never follow everyone to apply for work, I was recommended and that's all.

7 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by robinso01(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08
Hmmm. The going has not been easy at all .

1 Like

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by free2ryhme: 12:50pm On Feb 08
Hamachi:

What is it?

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by alimiadedayo1: 12:58pm On Feb 08
Offkey:
EASIEST WAY TO BREAK OUT FROM POVERTY AS YOU ARE JOBLESS

(THE ANALYSIS)

Ingredients

1. You will need free browsing vpns i recommend 24 clan plus green vpn,austroplus(you should search on youtube to find out more vpns that works)

2.you should find survey sites or micro task sites that pays in Nigeria.at least 3 of such sites that pays(choose ones that pays to your local bank account or that pays airtime).your aim is to make at least 3000 naira per month(so you can bet 100 naira everyday for 30 days).or you can save up 3000 naira every month to fund your bet9ja account.

3.find good prediction sites that predict enough matches .low risk games (i recommend eagles predict)

Now here is the main gist

At least now you have something doing.you are waiting for the day you will just hit small money.let this be like your own yahoo😂.when you get at least 5 dollars or 10 dollars (convert to naira equivalent because of exchange rate)go on fiverr and hire someone to recruit sub-affliate marketers for you.before then you should join any affliate program that pays in dollars and have multi tier/sub affliate program.the person would recruit sub affliate for you.this sub affliate any profit their make from their own personal affliate marketing efforts you have your own commission.imagine you have 10 sub affliates and each make 120 dollars per month and you get 10 percent commission from each that is 120 dollars you made (am just trying to be modest you can make more than that from this when you increase your sub-affliates and each sub affliates can make more than that a month sef)when you get profit reinvest again the marathon continues.when the money comes you can even increase your bet amount too sef.

So this is it. just getting something doing .

Before then check my signature/name/moniker/bio you would find something very useful

bro I beg send me your what app number

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Siberia01(m): 12:58pm On Feb 08
grin grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by CentralBank(m): 12:58pm On Feb 08
angry

Nigerian youths are suffering in silence. If we don't go back to the drawing board and put on our thinking caps, we're probably going to suffer more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by babtoundey(m): 12:59pm On Feb 08
It's not been easy. Switched from 19k job to 25k job, from 25k to 40k, from 40k to 45k, from 45k to 55k and from 55k to 80k.

Each of these jobs doesn't really bring satisfaction or career growth. It's something you do to survive momentarily. Man is tired than tired.

I have decide to search no more. I will settle at my personal corner and sort my bills what i took as side hussle..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by alimiadedayo1: 1:02pm On Feb 08
Hezzyluv:
I tried my best to get a job to no avail. I decided to gather the little money I had with me, told my sister to augument it for me, I needed to buy keke (marwa) which I did. I thank God I can be able to save the minimum of 7k per day. Note, "l only work from 7am to 12 noon" then I give it to someone to work in the evening while I use the remaining hours to go learn tech skill.
God will bless your hustle

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by kestolove95(m): 1:03pm On Feb 08
If your main aim of going to school is to gain employment then you are just wasting ur time... Unless ur connection with politicians is 5G

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Blitzking: 1:04pm On Feb 08
Hamachi:

What is it?

Na jobs dey find me...but the money no get value again..better I be my own boss...400 to 570k monthly for this economy na just to chop and pay transport. I no dey pay rent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience Like In The Labor Market? by Hezzyluv: 1:05pm On Feb 08
alimiadedayo1:
God will bless your hustle

Amen bro. God see you through in all your endeavors. 🙏

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ndlea And Frsc Recruitment. / What Is The Career Prospect Of Agric. Engineering Graduates In Nigeria? / Faan Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.