Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak (9040 Views)

Learn How To Prepare Ekpang Nkukwo / Have You Tasted Ekpang And Half Done Beans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by ibis: 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2007
PLEASE URGENTLY REQUIRED,

receipe for ABAK SOUP
AFIA EFERE
EDITAN SOUP
EKPANG KUKWO

THANKS! snazzy dawn, anyone pls,
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by snazzydawn(f): 8:17pm On Sep 18, 2007
Editan recipe

Ingredients

A bunch of editan leaves (shredded and washed till the bitterness is out)

a bunch of waterleaf(shredded)

3 bells of fresh pepper

a cup of ground crayfish

a bottle of palm oil

meat (beef, goatmeat or any of your choice)

stockfish

mfi

ikpa i.e ponmo

maggi cubes as you wish

salt

how to wash the editan leaves

pour the shredded leaves into a pot of boling water and leave for 10 minutes, bring down from fire, squeeze, rinse severally till the bitter taste if out.

Preparation

Add pepper, onions and maggi cube to meat, mfi, stockfish, ikpa and steam till soft. Add some water. Allow to boil. Add the shredded waterleaf, allow to boil, add crayfish and palm oil. Allow to boil for like 10mins. Add the editan leaves and stir. Add salt to taste. Allow to boil for a while then bring it down from fire. Serve with garri or whatever it is that you prefer to mold. Will be back with the rest abeg.

Note that this soup consumes palm oil like crazy and that the editan has to be more than the waterleaf. Hope I did that well o.

Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by ibis: 8:32pm On Sep 18, 2007
thanks dear! knew i cld count on you grin.
my hubby is tired of egusi and co.(ibibio men smiley lol!)

waiting for the rest. thanks once again.
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by Joicz(f): 10:36pm On Sep 18, 2007
Not doing badly snazzy attagirl, makes me long for good old cannan city! you did a good job with photos no less,

Hope i get a chance and i can send you the ekpang nkukwo and abak recepie, been quite a few years since i ate or made any though but will try to help. dont expect pictures though lol shocked
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by ibis: 10:56pm On Sep 18, 2007
thanks joicz, for helping!

im waiting!
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by snazzydawn(f): 11:57am On Sep 19, 2007
you are welcome

now recipe for ekpang nkukwo (for one serving)

ingredients

5 cocoyams-grated into a paste(you have to ask for the tiny ones for ekpang nkukwo, not the ones for boiling)

half wateryam- also grated into a paste

mfi(with the shell)

One bottle of palm oil

ibad (dry fish)

a cup of crayfish

5 cubes of maggi

fresh pepper

ntong leaves or iko leaves-shredded (they are all spice leaves)

a bunch of young cocoyams leaves, shredded for wrapping( you can ask someone to help you shred the leaves for wrapping the cocoyams into the tender leaves)

ikpa i.e ponmo cut into tiny bits

snail(optional)

salt to taste

put some palm oil in the pot to cover the base of the pot, pour in the periwinkes. Mix the cocoyams with the wateryam, add sallt to the mixture and knead. wrap the mixture into the cocoyam leaves little by little. After wrapping and arrangin in pot, add pepper, crayfish, maggi cubes, dry fish, ikpa and every other ingredient on the top of the food. Pour in some hot water. This is to make it not to burn while boiling and also note; do not stir it until it is done. When it is done, use a spatula to stir it gently and mix the ingredients. Do not stir it vigorously else it will end up looking like egusi soup. After it is well browned, add more palm oil and other ingredients as you wish. Allow to boil more, you can then taste cos the itchiness from the leaves and cocoyam has been neutralised. Bring it down and serve it piping hot.

I really hope this helps cos I was just giving an express explanation. It is better taught face to face or practically cos that is the only way you can get it right. Just try it though and ask your man to help you out. Cheers.
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by snazzydawn(f): 12:08pm On Sep 19, 2007
Joicz please give the recipes for Abak and afia efere. I can do it but I think it is harder to type out these local recipes. I will post the pictures sha. You gree? Mbok!
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by snazzydawn(f): 6:25am On Sep 20, 2007
afia efere pic

joicz will give you the recipe

Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by LondonCool(m): 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2008
Abak Soup is exactly the same thing as Banga soup. The difference is that in Calabar they add leaves to the soup while in Delta area's they add sticks of spices to the soup and leave it plain.
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by ifyalways(f): 8:09am On Aug 13, 2008
lol
You guys call soups "Efere" right?
The meaning in igboland is "plate" cheesy cheesy cheesy
No mi efere =give me soupibibio[sub]
Nyem efere=give me plate. [sub]igbo

@Topic,i like ekpan coco. kiss
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by AmakaOne(f): 9:43am On Aug 13, 2008
This light Efik soup is traditionally cooked without oil using goatmeat or chicken in which case, they are called "afia efere ebot" or "afia efere unen" respectively. Fresh fish can also be used.

I kg / 2 lb fresh goatmeat
I medium smoked fish (washed)
250g / 8oz fresh okro (sliced)
100g/4oz ground crayfish
250g / 8oz pounded yam
25g / I oz chopped fresh chillies
I uyayakpod
1ltr/2 pint stock or water
salt to taste

Wash and cut the meat into even size pieces. Season with salt and boil for 30 minutes or until soft and tender. Add the stock, washed fish, chopped chillies, okro and ground crayfish. Break the uyayak pod into small pieces and add to the pot.

Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Mould the pounded yam into small rounds and drop into the soup to slightly thicken. Add seasoning and serve with pounded yam.

Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by AmakaOne(f): 11:26am On Aug 13, 2008
EDITAN SOUP

INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES

Snails (optional) 4 medium size
Smoked Fish 1 large size
Stockfish head 1 medium size
Beef (optional) 8 medium pieces
Perewinkle (inshell) 2 cups
Odusa leaves (optional) 2 small bunches
Editan leaves 1 big bunch
Water leaves 4medium heap
Crayfish (ground) 3 tablespoons
Dry Pepper 1 level tablespoon
Palm oil 4 cooking sppons
Maggi Cubes 3 1½ litres Water
Salt to taste.

METHOD

Wash, season and boil the stockfish together with the beef for about 45 minutes and set aside for use later.
Wash and bone the fish.
Pour boiling water on already cut and pounded leaves then, strain. Rinse the leaves thrice to reduce the bitterness.
Pick and wash the waterleaves and cut into tiny pieces.
Get rid of some of its water by squeezing a little bunch at a time between your palms.
Pick and wash the Odusa leaves then cut into fine pieces.
Periwinkle can be used either in the shell, which is the traditional way, or out of shell.
Chop off the tail end of the Periwinkle with a large knife, wash thoroughly to remove all dirt, and mud.
Add waterleaves into the pot containing the meat and stockfish already placed on the burner.
Stir, add fish, crayfish, pepper, water, and Maggi cubes and allow cooking for another 6 minutes. Stir.
Add the palm oil. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the Editan leaves and cover the pot. Do not stir immediately after adding Editan leaves, then cook for 10-15 minutes. But you can shake the pot to enable the leaves have an even spread.
After 10-15 minutes, stir and taste the soup.
Add salt if necessary, and then add odusa leaves last and cook for another 4 minutes.
Editan soup is served with fufu, Ekpang Iwa or Eba.

courtesy of Maggi E- Cookbook
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by MmakambaD: 6:08pm On Mar 16, 2009
Good work snazzydawn! cool
Re: Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak by CrazyMan(m): 6:52pm On Mar 16, 2009
I must try those formulars

(1) (Reply)

Three Crowns Commences Family Dance Off In Its ‘Jara’ Campaign / 7 Dollar Meal In Naija / UN Congratulates Nigeria On Meeting Hunger Eradication Target

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.