Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? (3687 Views)

Investment In Farm Plantations Give Higher ROI Than Most Rental Apartments / 16 Rooms Tenement Storey Building Via Ladipo Road, Mushin (Good Investment) / Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by lanruma001: 3:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
Where is a good place to invest ?
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by dealerman(m): 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2011
Low cost housing is a viable sector to invest in real estate business, when it comes to Nigerian context. Low cost houses built with brick/clay, 2-3 bedroom or pre-fabricated houses will sale like hot cake, cos these area of the business is lacking. And I know there are so many Nigerians that will buy off houses ranging from 5-15million, weather it is made of brick or fabricated as long as they have a secures and durable home to live in, with a roof over there head.
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by lanruma001: 8:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
True talk, Thx
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by makndoe: 7:48am On Nov 10, 2011
Attractive investments options!
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by moremi2008(m): 10:05am On Nov 11, 2011
Too much money chasing around the few properties in choice neighborhoods. Generally a bad idea to invest in high-brow areas these days - the assets are just grossly over-inflated.
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by maclatunji: 11:16am On Nov 11, 2011
moremi2008:

Too much money chasing around the few properties in choice neighborhoods. Generally a bad idea to invest in high-brow areas these days - the assets are just grossly over-inflated.

Are you sure? Prices have been falling since 2008. Yes they are still high in real terms but it is not as bad as you are painting. Even the super-rich are finding it difficult to throw money around these days.

Real Estate is still a good investment in Nigeria if you have realistic expectations on your Return on Investment and the Payback Period. As for specific locations, take a look at central lower-middle class locations. I think places like Mushin, Oshodi/Isolo, top the list.

Alternatively, invest in building a small prototype estate that will quickly get occupied and expand your interests from there, Badagry axis, Mowe Ofada and Ikorodu are still places to seriously consider as an investor for such!
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by RotimiA: 11:19am On Nov 11, 2011
The honest truth to your answer is YES. Real estate is probably the only asset type in Nigeria that has minimal risks and decent returns compared to other asset classes. Given the large population of the country at over 150 million and still counting housing will playing a vital role in the economic development of the nation. The demand for housing far exceeds the supply and this is where opportunities lie in the real estate market. Take Lagos as a good example, the population is estimated at about 17 million and the real estate market is the most expensive in the country. There are so many opportunities in the market ranging from the provision of low - medium cost housing for the lower classes to high end developments for high income households. The lettings market is also highly lucrative with strong demand for good quality rental accommodation.

On the commercial market, there is a high demand for purpose built office spaces and retail units especially in malls. If you would like to know more about the real estate market you can send an e-mail to info@resiauctionsngr.com or visit our website at http://www.resiauctionsngr.com
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by BoOOosHBoy: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2011
I think its one of the few businesses in nigeria that really profitable on a large scale
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by moremi2008(m): 11:47am On Nov 11, 2011
maclatunji:

Are you sure? Prices have been falling since 2008. Yes they are still high in real terms but it is not as bad as you are painting. Even the super-rich are finding it difficult to throw money around these days.

Real Estate is still a good investment in Nigeria if you have realistic expectations on your Return on Investment and the Payback Period. As for specific locations, take a look at central lower-middle class locations. I think places like Mushin, Oshodi/Isolo, top the list.

Alternatively, invest in building a small prototype estate that will quickly get occupied and expand your interests from there, Badagry axis, Mowe Ofada and Ikorodu are still places to seriously consider as an investor for such!

Asset prices in high-brow areas are still unrealistic overpriced. Most of them were built with stolen and VERY patient money. The owners won't reduce prices unless faced with a severe liquidity crunch. Prices on the Lekki axis still have a very long way to fall. VI/Ikoyi are just sepulchers for entombing inflated egos and for extorting terrified expatriates.

Don't be so sure about making decent returns in middle-class/upper-middle class neighborhoods. Landlords are often better off putting their monies in fixed deposits than spending a small fortune in impoverished neighborhoods that can't support good rental income. I know from personal experience. Spending N15mm on a property that only generates N1.6mm p.a. in Nigeria (excl. maintenance costs and agent fees) is NOT a good business proposal in Nigeria's insane interest rate regime. Never again!

1 Like

Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2011
The input into construction are all  imported  maybe labour is the only local input.,so if the the Naira  is devalued  very soon,since they have prepared our minds for it,it will affect prices .Unless we come up with our own building materials.If you can afford flats that are reasonably priced  in middle class zones ,then they maybe good investments,you can sell or rent in the future,But its very difficult to see reasonanly priced flats,it is always starting from 7 to 30m
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2011
Shops also can give high returns ,lagos island,mainland ,island,and you can sell when the price goes up.
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by beatanoti: 5:17pm On Nov 11, 2011
The fact about property is that most are over priced at the island, @ this time you make money on property on the mainland, expecially abule egba to sango, lot of peoiple are moving toward the area, i get 3 bedroom flat on a full plot of land for 6million and could resell with a reasonable price, i have lots of them if you are intrested. Houses at this end are of reasonable ammount which u will not regret yourself. Enopec2000@yahoo.com if u need any property around abule egba to sango otam
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2011
[b]i will quote 3 cases senarios:

1. in 1996, the former chairman of wemco purchased 52 acres of land at iyana - ilogbo at 2million naira. all with the intention of building his own processing factory there in the next 10 years. he never did. rather the land was converted into a farm: pigs, poultry, snailery, grass cutters and plantain farm. recently, he applied for a loan in UBA to expand the farm to a mechanized one, and the land was valued. the land purchased in 1996, today values at 124 million naira as a plot goes for 750k at the current location.

2. i first went to ajah, in ijeshatedo in 1998. my boss, and father, owner of aasog nigeria limited, alhaji adisa was there to purchase 9 acres of land at 30,000 naira per-plot (i can get receipts to prove this points as valid). it was in this location i saw my first snake. snakes, monkeys, chameloens, suqarells are my daily neighbors while filling and fencing was done. my opinion was, my father was insane and has gone mad. in 2009, he sold 6 acres of this same property for 60 million and took a younger wife from the proceeds (trust an african man ). i cant forget the day because i was there when he was making payment and getting his roi. since then, its been real estate for me. though, i started very late.

3. i personally made some money in 2007, went to some bushy place in ifo with the intetion of buying a road side acre to build my own poultry as real estate and engineer is a slow business and i needed something to bring in daily cash. i purchased a plot for 200,000 naira then. and today, i am filled with such rage and bitterness for not buying the entire road side at oshosun part of ifo, as there was many vacant plots back then, but right now a road side plot is currently going at 2million naira. with the current repair of the road at sango, the land will sell for more come 2015 or later and besides, i have to move my farm as the council are killing me fines, because poultry is a very smelly business if not mechanized. and mechanization is impossible for a low income earner like me. so, i will be selling quite soon.
[/b]
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 11, 2011
[b]with nigeria currently at 150,000,000, its been estimated that we will hit 200,000,000 in the next 9 years and about 15% of those people will be in Lagos. but hey, Lagos cant contain all that numbers. i expertly predict that Ogun state is going to benefit from Lagos Mega-City status not Lagos itself. People are already entering Ogun State in trickles, and the mass migration of Lagosians to Mowe-Ibafo, Owode, Ofada, Ikorodu, Ifo, Otta, Ilaro, Wasimi, Iro, and other parts of Ogun State is a clear testimony of more to Happen.

@OP: Real Estate like building apartments wont give you fast returns as this is even more expensive. i am a professional builder, and building ties up so much funds and returns comes in extremely slow and take a very long time. But mass purchase of dry and smartly located lands will suprise you in years to come. I am stressing YEARS to come. If you dont have the patience, and cant endure and go for a long term ROI, then real estate is the wrong area to look.

in 2020, when we hit 200,000,000, we will have a fresh set of Nigerians from age: 1-10 years. This require the following which are the best businesses any Nigerian can go within the next 10 years.

1. properties (developed or undeveloped)
2. education (schools, university or educational materials)
3. agriculture (animals, staples or processed)
4. baby products (childrens foods, etc)
5. energy
6. health (hospitals, gyms, pharma, etc and I will show you the locations above with proofs. My company is helping Nigerians abroad and within invest smartly in ONLY real estate.[/b]
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2011
with nigeria currently at 150,000,000, its been estimated that we will hit 200,000,000 in the next 9 years and about 15% of those people will be in Lagos. but hey, Lagos cant contain all that numbers. i expertly predict that Ogun state is going to benefit from Lagos Mega-City status not Lagos itself. People are already entering Ogun State in trickles, and the mass migration of Lagosians to Mowe-Ibafo, Owode, Ofada, Ikorodu, Ifo, Otta, Ilaro, Wasimi, Iro, and other parts of Ogun State is a clear testimony of more to Happen.
@OP: Real Estate like building apartments wont give you fast returns as this is even more expensive. i am a professional builder, and building ties up so much funds and returns comes in extremely slow and take a very long time. But mass purchase of dry and smartly located lands will suprise you in years to come. I am stressing YEARS to come. If you dont have the patience, and cant endure and go for a long term ROI, then real estate is the wrong area to look.
in 2020, when we hit 200,000,000, we will have a fresh set of Nigerians from age: 1-10 years. This require the following which are the best businesses any Nigerian can go within the next 10 years.

5. energy
6. health (hospitals, gyms, pharma, etc)

Call me: and I will show you the locations above with proofs. My company is helping Nigerians abroad and within invest smartly in ONLY real estate.
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by Taich(m): 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2011
Real estate pays in Nigeria especially in Abuja. Lands are available in Abuja. Available lands around airport road, Gwarinpa,gudu, etc Interested persons should call chuka @ 08034685623
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by beatanoti: 11:43am On Nov 14, 2011
aasog1:

[b]with nigeria currently at 150,000,000, its been estimated that we will hit 200,000,000 in the next 9 years and about 15% of those people will be in Lagos. but hey, Lagos cant contain all that numbers. i expertly predict that Ogun state is going to benefit from Lagos Mega-City status not Lagos itself. People are already entering Ogun State in trickles, and the mass migration of Lagosians to Mowe-Ibafo, Owode, Ofada, Ikorodu, Ifo, Otta, Ilaro, Wasimi, Iro, and other parts of Ogun State is a clear testimony of more to Happen.

5. energy
6. health (hospitals, gyms, pharma, etc)

Call me: 08036685576, and I will show you the locations above with proofs. My company is helping Nigerians abroad and within invest smartly in ONLY real estate.[/b]

you said it all, call 08056141985 if you need properties between abule egba to sango ota, very cheap and lovely properties, just tell us what you want and it will be gotten.
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by beatanoti: 9:55am On Nov 18, 2011
Boundary of Lagos and ogun around ota will develop soon cos of change in power, there should be a tangible developmental work plan between the governors since they are of the same party, and most people who works on d island stays around there, property is very cheap @ the area presently, some yes time, it will be a different story, if you want to invest well in property along the axis, call me on 08056141985 or email enopec2000@yahoo.com.
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by morebillions: 2:13am On May 13, 2013
moremi2008:

Asset prices in high-brow areas are still unrealistic overpriced. Most of them were built with stolen and VERY patient money. The owners won't reduce prices unless faced with a severe liquidity crunch. Prices on the Lekki axis still have a very long way to fall. VI/Ikoyi are just sepulchers for entombing inflated egos and for extorting terrified expatriates.

Don't be so sure about making decent returns in middle-class/upper-middle class neighborhoods. Landlords are often better off putting their monies in fixed deposits than spending a small fortune in impoverished neighborhoods that can't support good rental income. I know from personal experience. Spending N15mm on a property that only generates N1.6mm p.a. in Nigeria (excl. maintenance costs and agent fees) is NOT a good business proposal in Nigeria's insane interest rate regime. Never again!
Re: Is Real Estate Still A Good Investment In 9ja? by RakeemOjo: 9:14am On Apr 04, 2021
You are right because real estate has to do with a good website design and you'll be good to go.

Taich:
Real estate pays in Nigeria especially in Abuja. Lands are available in Abuja. Available lands around airport road, Gwarinpa,gudu, etc Interested persons should call chuka @ 08034685623

(1) (Reply)

3 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale At Ogombo Off Abraham Adesanya Estate / Is Ijokodo In Sango,ibadan? Or Where Is It Located / Three Stunning Hillside 4-bedroom Bungalow Plots In Abuja...4.6m,4.8m,5.6m(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.