Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair (33909 Views)

Massive Protests At Michael Okpara University, Umudike / Final Year Student Of Michael Okpara University Killed In Accident In Abia / Michael Okpara University Final Year Students Spray Cash After Final Paper (Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Metrix147: 5:47pm On Feb 12
Member representing Ikwuano/Umuahia federal constituency of Abia State, Hon. Obi Aguocha has expressed regret over the damage done at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU) in a recent protest by students of the institution, saying it's huge and heartbreaking.

He said it would cost at least N2bn to fix the damages which include burnt down buildings, windows and doors shattered, fences felled, and other infrastructural damages.

He told ABN TV on Friday that he has met with the management of the university to see ways the school could be reopened for academic activities to resume so that final-year students could complete their examinations.

ABN TV recalls that the students had engaged in demonstration on Tuesday over a new policy of the school which mandates students to complete the payment of their fees before they could be allowed to take part in examinations.

The Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Maduebibisi Ofo Iwe accused miscreants of being responsible for the attack.

Hon. Aguocha said he visited communities bordering the institution, including the traditional ruler of Amaoba community, His Royal Majesty, Eze Otuwa, his Elders-in-Council, and Traditional Cabinet with a view to ascertain the remote and immediate cause of the crisis.

"The level of destruction in the institution, the buildings that were burnt, the windows that were broken, the university fences that were felled, for me it should not have been so.

"It would require about N2bn to reconstruct fully, to bring the university the way it was before the crisis", he noted.

The lawmaker noted that no level of aggravation warrants the level of damage done on the infrastructure of the university.

He therefore appealed to the management of the university to consider reopening it for resumption of academic activities.

According to him, a committee has been set up by the university which will liaise with him on the amicable resolution of the issues.

Source: https://abntv.com.ng/news/damage-at-michael-okpara-university-heartbreaking-will-cost-n2bn-to-repair-rep-aguocha/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by immortalcrown(m): 5:50pm On Feb 12
I wanted to say the damage is not even up to ₦500 million. But I remember Naira keeps falling in value and the school management will likely eat through padding of expenses.

But I will still say it. What does the school have for the damage to worth ₦2b? Did the students destroy the entire school property and empty the school bank account?

And guess what! Students will pay the money or government allocation will be diverted.

147 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by atiku4President(m): 5:55pm On Feb 12
So you mean the school authority is indirectly preparing the students to pay heavy reparations?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Franklyspeakin: 6:17pm On Feb 12
This one na sure, them go pay fine before exam continues. Na how much them dey deliberate on.
Actions have consequences.
Untop DSS is being used to get scape goats. At least 10 students will be rusticated
atiku4President:
So you mean the school authority is indirectly preparing the students mind to pay reparations?

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by clockwisereport: 7:14pm On Feb 12
Obodo adiro mma bu uru ndi nze

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by fidelmarshal199: 7:30pm On Feb 12
I hate anything that has to do with arson, If you think you are been cheated, why not go after the culprits and settle it with the persons? Why should the innocent little infrastructures we can boast of, have to suffer for it?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by inoki247: 8:27pm On Feb 12
Lol this student don go use dere hand carry legit format give this people to loot grin grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by TechCapon(m): 8:28pm On Feb 12
grin. Only 2 billion?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Shellsploit: 8:28pm On Feb 12
cry

1 Like

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Ndleabilli: 8:28pm On Feb 12
How much be the whole school

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by MyExpression(m): 8:28pm On Feb 12
fidelmarshal199:
I hate anything that has to do with arson, If you think you are been cheated, why not go after the culprits and settle it with persons? Why should the innocent little infrastructures we can boast of, has to suffer for it?

Was the school set on fire?
Tot it was just disagreement and small Aluta that happened dat day.

Which day dem cum decide to set school on fire

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Damaria2: 8:28pm On Feb 12
Did they burn the whole school? 🥴

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Lymetsaucer(f): 8:29pm On Feb 12
My alma mata that Year

3 Likes

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by LibertyRep: 8:29pm On Feb 12
The students have given them a blank cheque.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Vifx: 8:29pm On Feb 12
So sad
Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by allen113: 8:30pm On Feb 12
Reminds me of our protest in Uniport 2016.

People way thief laptop from ict and people way loot one full truck of spaghetti for East West road follow us way no even thief anything pay 5k.

Imagine you thief laptop 45k come they pay 5k as surcharge.

17 Likes

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by chopnaira: 8:30pm On Feb 12
Too bad. Why can't people just protest peacefully. Must they always damage infrastructure...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by bestman09(m): 8:30pm On Feb 12
shocked
To destroy is easy but to build is difficult!

We should always think twice before we take any action no matter the situation.

5 Likes

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Dpharisee: 8:32pm On Feb 12
The stupid students who will cheer outsiders to burn down their school have given opportunity to corrupt politicians to loot another N2B from the system.

The worst part is that the students will still be the ones to pay this money for their Aluta foolishness on resumption and many who will not afford it could be forced to abandon their education.

Can't they protest without shooting themselves in the foot by burning down buildings?

The school knows how to collect the money by fixing exam upon resumption in batches starting with 100 level and final year and you must present your payment receipt before you enter the school gate.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Judolisco(m): 8:32pm On Feb 12
2 billion...ole, barawo banza.... How much be d whole sch?

2 Likes

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Lexusgs430: 8:32pm On Feb 12
Which could have been cheaper for the school administration......... They would learn .......😜

Negotiate, compromise + a little bit of empathy, goes a long way........
Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by LaziestYouth: 8:32pm On Feb 12
Good
Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by tivity101: 8:33pm On Feb 12
Are you speaking from this country or somewhere else

fidelmarshal199:
I hate anything that has to do with arson, If you think you are been cheated, why not go after the culprits and settle it with persons? Why should the innocent little infrastructures we can boast of, has to suffer for it?
Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by Sunisonflex39(m): 8:33pm On Feb 12
Something that would not cost more than 50 million Naira

1 Like

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by broadman20: 8:34pm On Feb 12
Giftedhand47:
I track lost or stolen phones or devices
A trial will convince you
Contact me via siggy below

Can we work together?

I want to be given you some tracking jobs, so how long does it take to track a missing phone and device?

Your reply will be appreciated.
Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by MDVCONSULTANTS: 8:34pm On Feb 12
Wahala
Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by themanderon: 8:34pm On Feb 12
immortalcrown:
I wanted to say the damage is not up to even 500 million. But I remember Naira keeps falling in value and the school management will likely eat through padding of expenses.

And guess what! Students will pay the money or government allocation will be diverted.

The students will pay with abeg.

1 Like

Re: Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair by bluefilm: 8:35pm On Feb 12
fidelmarshal199:

The same way they told us to go to court

And we went to court

And discovered that certificate forgery was never a crime?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU Accounting Students Exchange Blows Over Financial Report [Photo] / Ibrahim, Hauwa & Eman Indimi Graduate With MBAs From Lynn University (Photos) / LMAO !! How Different People View School ( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.