Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria (1819 Views)

South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Ekpekus(m): 4:58am On Feb 14
bummyla:
I served in Kogi state! This particular lady was always inviting corpers to come and dine in her place. The first day I decided to go! I was served food, as I properly trained man, I said "Thank You Ma"

To thank you host for a meal is considered an insult to the host according to the lady! I did not know! Nobody told me!

3 Times I thanked her she pretended not to hear me.

After I finished eating the fufu, I needed water to wash my hand, I tried calling her attention, but she ignored me, after a while I washed my hand inside the soup bowl, and all hell let loose!

She was very mad, that I came to her house to disrespect her, by saying "Thank Yous" And to crown up the insult, I washed my hand inside the bowl of soup!

She nearly attacked me physically.

To wash your hands inside the plate means "The food was horrible"
You sef 😆 🤣 😂 why you go wash hand for soup bowl when e be say nor be your house 😆 🤣 😂

4 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by ExudeLoveToAll: 5:23am On Feb 14
bummyla:
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I never saw my siblings unclothedness, because we all had our room, but I went to boarding school, we all had a common bathroom, in Uni stayed off campus, we had a very large bathroom that 10 people can comfortably had their bath, so we were always sharing the bathroom, but when I went to marry my ex-wife, they were about 11 in their house, 3 ladies and 8 young men , their parent are late and they share a room and parlor! Shame no dey gree me enter inside their house, because they were all nudist if they accept you as one of them. Somebody was always naked. Which was part of the problem we had in our marriage, she never closed the windows when she was changing her clothes, she still wants to be naked around her siblings.

This is serious even after marriage, hmm.
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by ExudeLoveToAll: 5:25am On Feb 14
poshestmina:
First shock was seeing those Army officers with padlocks on their lips and you dare not bring any of your hands down (During that Niger Delta crisis period).

My Benue friend made soup with dry hibicups (Zobo leaves) embarassed but it was nice though.

We heard tales of military men using padlock on their lips, so this is true? You saw them yourself? Wonderful. grin
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by jaszplus12(m): 8:54am On Feb 14
Sirmwill:
One local government in one state where snakes can come inside the house anytime and people must not kill them

Who can guess the name of the state?
Not just one I can mention, Ivo, in ebonyi, Okpanku, in awgu Enugu state, isu njaba in imo State... experienced them there years ago...
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Sucre6: 9:42am On Feb 14
It was during sallah period and an assignment took me to Nasarawa State, I went to chill out with a friend in the evening around a popular mall and I saw more than 200 fulani youths dressed very funny and fighting each other with long sticks, I was shocked and people say that's how dey show that they are happy, I was like wtf cheesy cheesy , few times they will land the sticks on each others head, 😂😂😂

3 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Kobicove(m): 11:09am On Feb 14
ExudeLoveToAll:

We heard tales of military men using padlock on their lips, so this is true? You saw them yourself? Wonderful. grin

Is this even possible?

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by ExudeLoveToAll: 11:25am On Feb 14
Kobicove:

Is this even possible?

I saw them as myth, surprised to hear someone saying he or she was an eye witness.
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Streetmovement(m): 11:51am On Feb 14
Wotoporiously cool speaking

That washing of hands thing na him I nor like, I don't know if it's cultural or just habits, you keep washing your hands every 2seconds while eating, automatically the water inside the washing bowl starts to look dirty, I might lose my appetite. Disgusting ASF.

*My first time seeing a woman sit behind a man on a bike, that shit cracked me up so hard grin, don't know if it's cultural cuz I've never seen that where I'm from.

So many I can't remember now though

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Zendinho(m): 12:02pm On Feb 14
[quote author=Nicepoker post=128441093]A village in a particular LGA of Akwa ibom state. They do not eat snails.
That place is called NUNG UKIM..
funny thing is that some decades ago, you'll pack snails of all sizes full of buckets within few mins, but now you no go see even one snail in 4hrs🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Teejaney88(m): 12:50pm On Feb 14
When I went for NYSC in Ogun state, I greet anybody that I pass on the road as we do here up North but they don't respond. I was getting annoyed but latter understand that I must MIND MY OWN BUSINESS just like anyone else ant only greet people I know...

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Benwallt(m): 3:58pm On Feb 14
It's human beings killing and eating fellow human beings in that particular region. It's shocking.

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by bummyla(m): 4:24pm On Feb 14
I don't like things sticking on my palms and fingers, when they stick, I wash them off. That's why I don't like soft swallows, I like the semi-hard ones, soft ones stick on your fingers and palms

LenaJon:
Why please, if I may ask?

I'll understand if it's two or three times. But 10 times or even more, is just too much for me though.

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Nicepoker(m): 8:29pm On Feb 14
[quote author=Zendinho post=128451538][/quote] you are more than correct.
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Preciousese(f): 2:24pm On Mar 05
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Here in Delta state,there is one village called orogun here in Ughelli north LGA where our former DSP hails from,they worship the monitor lizard,i.e aligator...........As a matter of fact,it's regarded as their mother.....That whenever it visits your house,you must accord respect and entertain it cheesy. And if by mistake you kill it via an accident,you will be compelled to give it a befitting burial just like in the case of a human being..

And the funniest part is that these mammals can be seen roaming and strolling around the village and you dare not touch or tamper with them..

It's iguana ,and it's not mother but father a d theirs nothing funny about it

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Preciousese(f): 2:29pm On Mar 05
Ekpekus:

You sef 😆 🤣 😂 why you go wash hand for soup bowl when e be say nor be your house 😆 🤣 😂
someone did that in my house,i smashed the plates,i cant eat from that

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Obatala Towns Of Igbo Land And Yoruba Land - Igbodefender.com / White Man And His Friends Posed With Masquerade In Isua Akoko Ondo State..photos / Somalis Have More Balls Than All Of Africa Combined

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.