Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,649 members, 7,816,662 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly (8500 Views)

Civil Servants Demand N907,000 Minimum Wage, Give Reasons / Yuguda: A Certain President Chose Not To Remove Subsidy To Protect His Life / Rising Crude Price Pushes Petrol Subsidy To ₦16 Billion Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by coputa(m): 12:28pm On Feb 15
RepoMan007:
Govt should hand off the subsidy and focus on food & industries.
Fuel is the backbone of the Nigerian economy,Any adjustment in fuel price also affects food and industries

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by surgical: 12:28pm On Feb 15
PureFace1:

Illiterate like you calling someone more intelligent than you illiterate, so ironic. Idiot like you that don't even understand what defending the naira against the dollar mean.
if supporting evil means intelligence ,then you are intelligent

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by MemphitzDgreat1(m): 12:30pm On Feb 15
Be like say hunger don kpai Helinues true true. He hardly comments on threads these days

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by obinna58(m): 12:31pm On Feb 15
coputa:
Nigeria can't do otherwise given the clueless governments she had over the years

Nigeria is a developing country, without any technological break through, so she must depend on foreign support for survival

Successive government lacks foresight to retuned the economy
They’re just clueless and trying the lazy and easy means to drive economy,
Not like we don’t have land and work force for agriculture, they’re forgetting the basic need of human which is
food,
clothes
and shelter

Are we not able to produce these things for ourselves? Weren’t we surviving before white people came to introduce dollar to us, Why so much dependency on dollar if not laziness, they keep importing rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by rejoice4eva(m): 12:31pm On Feb 15
marenkurz:
I'm no fan of Tinubu. However, he should thread carefully. I hope he surround himself with trusted people, people that will die to defend his life.
Some bastard might be gunning for his life.

Tinubu remain the president, wait for the next election circle if you're unhappy with him.
It seems that you have an incurable issue

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by christistruth01: 12:31pm On Feb 15
marenkurz:
I'm no fan of Tinubu. However, he should thread carefully. I hope he surround himself with trusted people, people that will die to defend his life.
Some bastard might be gunning for his life.

Tinubu remain the president, wait for the next election circle if you're unhappy with him.

The Fuel Subsidy and Foreign Exchange discount Cabals are very unhappy and angry their Feeding bottles have been removed

Corruption fights back

Tinubu should just focus on making some food items surplus like Garri and bread
Open the border if you have to let them in in sufficient quantities
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by obinna58(m): 12:32pm On Feb 15
Soon tinubu go remove subsidy again so that we can save up
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by ogaontop(m): 12:33pm On Feb 15
Blazebond:

What would your obi have done? Nor be to dey cry for here everyday,what would your fraud obi had done differently,na bitterness go destroy una,obi will never ever smell the presidency,una go cry tire.
Bro even at your level, you should know that no sane government will fully deregulate and fully float the currency at the same time knowing that both will have unbearable effects on the economy!
Statistically (but no be statistics we go chop), the countries that took away subsidy did it in phases, within a 5 to 10-year plan and today they are totally off subsidy without any untold hardship on the citizens
There are so many ways to do this better which I can't even start listing here.
When you say what Tinubu did is the best way, you're exposing your ignorance to the right-thinking people!!

Have you taken your time to look at @PO's full explanatory manifesto(anyway I doubt if you have access) on his plans toward fuel subsidy and compare it with how some other countries successfully took away subsidies without all this backlash?
If time reverses, Tinubu will handle this better, but it's an infraction he has no clue how to handle from the onset!!

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by coputa(m): 12:34pm On Feb 15
obinna58:

They’re just clueless and trying the lazy and easy means to drive economy,
Not like we don’t have land and work force for agriculture, they’re forgetting the basic need of human which is
food,
clothes
and shelter

Are we not able to produce these things for ourselves? Weren’t we surviving before white people came to introduce dollar to us, Why so much dependency on dollar if not laziness, they keep importing rubbish

You are right, nigerians can no longer afford the three basics of life, because of corrupt government

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by seborrhic: 12:41pm On Feb 15
A failure will ever be a failure.
Tinubu should not be allowed to complete his 4 years.He would benefit only those that want Nigeria to be divided because his government will only cause mass uprising due to mass starvation,insecurity,suicides and deaths.
He had no capacity yesterday,he has none today and definitely won't have one tomorrow as his ancestors gradually and surely call him

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by uniquetechng: 12:45pm On Feb 15
EKONGKING:
Petrol is cheaper in Nigeria than in neighbouring countries even if it is sold for 1200 naira.
Are the neighbouring countries oil producing nations ?

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by chypotenti(m): 12:45pm On Feb 15
Make una do something and find a way around this... We Nigerians nor send una!!!!

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by uniquetechng: 12:49pm On Feb 15
femisplash:

Stop being crudely conspiratorial, subsidy is unconstitutional and illegal by virtue of Petroleum Industry Act signed into law in 2022. As a crude oil producing country, we have no business paying subsidy on fuel much less importing refined fuel. Past regimes that deliberately looked away for over four decades while four refineries rot away are liable. I would have hoped that two or more private investors could have also taken the initiative than have only Dangote at the forefront.
Nigeria is not the only country subsidizing, infact FG pays less compares to what majors countries pays as subsidies.

The attach is some of the sectors subsidized by the US government.

Going by what politicians earns/loot from our collective wealth Nigetians deserve to enjoy subsidies.

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by seborrhic: 12:52pm On Feb 15
jaxxy:
This government lacks basic economics 101 or dey are confused.

If subsidy has been removed petrol prices shouldn't be static bt fluctuate up and down based on market forces..

As it stands fuel price should be close to 1000 naira per litre.
Actually with ₦ at 1550/$ fuel price should be hovering around 1350-1400 today depending on where you reside in Nigeria.
I would advice Dangote should have his personal physician travelling with him at all times with essential drugs and life saving equipment because the man may develop a heart attack if he is forced to sell at 650.It would essentially cripple not just the refinery but his entire business empire because to repay back $30b when you are running at a loss,can be suicidal.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by SALIMAN(m): 12:52pm On Feb 15
Enough of all these scary news everyday
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by yewit37486: 1:01pm On Feb 15
merits:

God abeg no matter how hard it is just continue to bless me and my family.

A bag of cement is 10k this is the time when some people will have a breakthrough and start building houses 🏘️.

God 🙏 it is your blessing am just begging for no complaints.

Interesting. But this time a year ago, you were using the same mouth to abuse and insult others simply because of political differences. God is watching you all in 4D.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by alezzy13: 1:05pm On Feb 15
Across most West African countries, the price of petrol now hovers between N2,000 and N1,400. Yesterday in Cameroon, a litre of PMS was N2,011; in the Benin Republic, it was N1,633. In Togo, it was N1,680 per litre while it sold for N1,500 per litre in Ghana. It was N2,080 in Mali and N2,042 in Burkina Faso

Am not a fan of Tinubu, but y'all just opening your mouth and insulting with abandon.

Did any of you all read the above??
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by IsaacBuchi(m): 1:13pm On Feb 15
This is serious. When will things get better again?
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by grandstar(m): 1:20pm On Feb 15
There is gross ineptitude on the part of this government.

It should have deregulated the price of petrol rather than just remove the subsidy.

The CBN should be left to do its job to fight inflation. This will help boost the value of the Naira.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:22pm On Feb 15
RepoMan007:
Govt should hand off the subsidy and focus on food & industries.

Now you are supporting fuel subsidy removal! Good for you, good sir.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:23pm On Feb 15
seborrhic:

Actually with ₦ at 1550/$ fuel price should be hovering around 1350-1400 today depending on where you reside in Nigeria.
I would advice Dangote should have his personal physician travelling with him at all times with essential drugs and life saving equipment because the man may develop a heart attack if he is forced to sell at 650.It would essentially cripple not just the refinery but his entire business empire because to repay back $30b when you are running at a loss,can be suicidal.

The way the government is going, they would force him to sell that low.

Nigerians want cheap fuel.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by tnerro1(m): 1:25pm On Feb 15
But he wanted to do free market economics, let him not pay subsidies, let the market decide the price of fuel like it is done on the forex market, let us all brace for the outcome. A lot of leaders both traditional and otherwise have been telling him to have another look at this his policies, him no wan hear.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:25pm On Feb 15
malali:
We had subsidy for over 50 years.

The year Dangote built a refinery, subsidy was removed.

It has not gone, because the government is too scared to sell fuel above N1000 per liter. Too scared.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:26pm On Feb 15
grandstar:
There is gross ineptitude on the part of this government.

It should have deregulated the price of petrol rather than just remove the subsidy.

The CBN should be left to do its job to fight inflation. This will help boost the value of the Naira.

I don't think that government wants to deregulate. Which is a sad thing.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:27pm On Feb 15
alezzy13:

Am not a fan of Tinubu, but y'all just opening your mouth and insulting with abandon.

They did , and they would all say that 'THEY HAVE SMALL POPULATIONS, THEREFORE THEY SHOULD CHARGE HIGH PRICES...BECAUSE THAT IS HOW THEY MAKE PROFIT'

lol.

TInubu does get some blame...he helped scuttle the removal of subsidy in 2012.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:29pm On Feb 15
uniquetechng:
Nigeria is not the only country subsidizing, infact FG pays less compares to what majors countries pays as subsidies.

The attach is some of the sectors subsidized by the US government.

Going by what politicians earns/loot from our collective wealth Nigetians deserve to enjoy subsidies.

They pay subsides to manufacturer, in the US...meaning the government pays some of their costs with a view to reducing prices, or preventing financal collapse

IN NIgeria, what government does is force companies to sell at a loss, and then pays a subsidy that does not cover the loss. IN this case NNPC is the company that sells fuel to market...it sells at a loss, and is 'compensated' by government, but most of the time, the money does not cover the loss.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:33pm On Feb 15
With the country’s daily consumption dropping from about 65 million litres per day to about 50 million litres, the N585.5 per litre subsidy would be N29.28 billion per day and about N907.5 billion monthly

Meaning by ending of Feb, we would have spent close to N2 trillion on subsidy, and if oil prices remain steady, and consumption figures go up...because it is much higher than 50m liters...we would reach somewhere around 12 trillion this year.

Across most West African countries, the price of petrol now hovers between N2,000 and N1,400. Yesterday in Cameroon, a litre of PMS was N2,011; in the Benin Republic, it was N1,633. In Togo, it was N1,680 per litre while it sold for N1,500 per litre in Ghana. It was N2,080 in Mali and N2,042 in Burkina Faso.

Ghana has two refineries by the way. IN Niger,it is probably above N1000 and they got a refinery.

Smuggling is back by the by.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by Atk1nson(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15
alezzy13:

It is his idiocy in removing subsidy and floating the naira at same time without any plan in place that caught up with him.

Nigeria is probably paying more subsidy now than when petrol was N97 per liter on account on exchange rate.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by RepoMan007: 1:44pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

Now you are supporting fuel subsidy removal! Good for you, good sir.
I have always done, under the condition corruption is tamed and not like others
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:46pm On Feb 15
RepoMan007:
I have always done, under the condition corruption is tamed and not like others

NO, you don't other wise you won't be abusing me all day long, like you do here.

You want subsidy.. Better admit it. I have no reason to make fun of you for that, because it shows you are concerened for people's suffering. I see the other side of the coin, the fact that money is too low, and talk otherwise.

I also think corruption is evil and has to be stopped.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by Stevenson20: 1:50pm On Feb 15
Blazebond:

What would your obi have done? Nor be to dey cry for here everyday,what would your fraud obi had done differently,na bitterness go destroy una,obi will never ever smell the presidency,una go cry tire.

Another programmed Zombie spotted

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by RepoMan007: 1:51pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

NO, you don't other wise you won't be abusing me all day long, like you do here.

You want subsidy.. Better admit it. I have no reason to make fun of you for that, because it shows you are concerened for people's suffering. I see the other side of the coin, the fact that money is too low, and talk otherwise.

I also think corruption is evil and has to be stopped.

You are well known to reply to assumptions you made up in your head so can sound intelligent irrespective of reality.
If corruption can remain, let subsidy remain too. That's my position.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GEJ Will Hand Over To Igbo – Ezeife (Fmr Gov Of Anambra) / Fashola Inspects On-going Projects / Bauchi Civil Servants Protest Non-Payment Of Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.