Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) (5233 Views)

Nigerian Politicians Should Stop Dividing Us. Time To Unite As One / My Worries About Gen. Muhammadu Buhari / Osibanjo's Daughter Kiki Tweets About Nairaland Topic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by manchy7531: 12:46pm On Nov 10, 2011
Yesterday after a long time on the internet, I became depressed and I sorted to know the cause of my depression.
After a long while of soul searching I was able to trace it to the fact that I have sent a lot of time on NL
Afterwards I kept asking myself, why will NL as a site make me depressed? Is it that i spend a lot of time on NL, or is it the annoying treads and topic, or is it really NL as a site or is it the situation in the country? After a very long time of asking myself all these question, finally I was able to trace it to the fact that NL is splitting us and it is making be what I wish not to be.
I have come to notice that most time when topics that are trivial and are meant to discussed constructively to enable us as youths of today and leaders of tomorrow be able to find solution to our problems, instead the first thing you find is that somebody from where he is, because he has access to internet just come to derail the trend by directing it with tribal/religious statements and sentiments
This is a message for all of us including myself, because I found out that ever since I started commenting on NL trends have sort of becoming a bigot even when I know some of the things being talked about (ethnic, religion, sex etc) at times may be true, but because of my bigotry and which i have become due to NL, I refuse to accept the truth (this message is for everybody because am sure it applies to every one of us on NL)
WE all secretly love our nation and want it to remain one but most time instead of us discussing issues in a constructive manner, what you get is tribal & bigotry statements which then leads to we bashing each other. is this how we are going to build our nation? if our leaders are doing the wrong things , are we to follow their footsteps, if the Egyptians and Tunisian where tribalist would they have be able to topple there bad leaders? When our leaders sit on the round table to share the national cake they don’t remember you and I voted for them, they unite in squandering our wealth, they are united thief.
We all know unite we stand, but separated we fall, so why should we now be bashing each other when we know it will most likely work against us?
The most annoying thing is the fact that we have the same enemy but we have failed to confront it or rather been blinded by our bigotry which have splited us and has made us incapable of fighting our enemies (Government, corruption, tribalism, nepotism, penchant hatred for other religion and ethnic groups that are not similar or related to ours). This is very sad and uncalled for.
Please to all NLers, I’m appealing to you to let us all stop every form of bigotry & tribalism rather we should criticise constructively and also learn to accept criticism.
Am very sure we all love Nigeria even though some pretend that Nigeria should split but the fact is we all know but refuse to admit that we all need each other and without unity we can’t grow, not to even talk of fighting our common enemy.
People clamouring for separating do so because of the injustice, and as youths of today that don’t have anything to do with the war and mistakes of our pass and present leaders, should we still stay and still look at them do more wrong and we for their wrong , when we have the power to stop them now?
Please let us give peace a chance, it is not my wish that Nigeria split, because I have finds from every tribe in Nigeria, I can’t afford to lost them, if Nigeria split where will be the place of Nollywood, where will be the big brother that other African countries look up to, other African countries hate and love Nigeria but if we split, will you and I still get that love and respect as we use to when we are Nigerians? What will happen to our football? What will happen to our satellites?  what will happen to our bid for UN security council, won’t our African rivals laugh at us (e.g. SA because it will make them an absolute power in the African continent before maybe in 15 to 20yrs after split am sure one or two of regions in the splited Nigeria will grow up to be a power).what will happen to our influence in ECOWAS and other African regions?
I think we should concentrate on things that unite us rather than our differences
It is true that we might be rivals one the internet and in the real world it is not like that but I can tell you since I can on NL I have unconsciously became a bigot which is as a result of the way we react to issues and topics on NL

macjive01,
Torch1 ,
Beaf
Sun of god
jason123
alj_harem
Rhino.5dm
Akanbi_edu
PointB
Areosapien
desola
blacksta
manny4life
9ja voice
VoodooDoll
asorocker
Johndoe100, etc

We don’t have to make every topic a ground for tribal war, we can always ignore some unnecessary comments.
We say silence is the best answer for a fool and I think silence can be a very powerful tool to stop all the forms of tribal bashing. Just ignore any unnecessary comment because the more to reply them the more you create more grounds for other comments
I know we all love ourselves and we want this nation to be great, but that can only be achieved by constructively proffering solutions to our common problems.

This message is for we the youths because it is you and i that will champions Nigeria’s future and not our old, tribalist, sentimental, evil, selfish, corrupt, power drunk past leaders. By these I mean our entire past leader, before and after independence. They are the reason why Nigeria is the way it is today because they did not make the right decisions in the past that would have affected you and I positively today.
I wish everybody well, love you all, we are all Nigerians but please let us all drop our bigotry statements, cyber hatred, cyber war, cyber rivalry, cyber bashing and hope for a better place.

2 Likes

Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Odunnu: 12:53pm On Nov 10, 2011
So long a letter
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by manchy7531: 12:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
Read it and understand the message
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Desola(f): 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2011
The mention of names and repetition of igbo's ascension to power killed what could have otherwise being a thought provoking piece.

You blew your own cover, mate!
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Dede1(m): 1:38pm On Nov 10, 2011
@POST

This is another misplaced finger pointing exercise. Nairaland did not make anybody a bigot. If a person claims to be bigoted in any way or shape, I guess Nigeria is the reason for such endeavor. Everything about Nigeria, from food, language, clothes, quota system, federal character, economic localization, market, religion, roads to citing of schools is tribally determined.

It is shamefully disingenuous and morally condescending for any Nigerian to point out Nairaland as the source of his or her bigotry.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by manchy7531: 1:42pm On Nov 10, 2011
The mention of names and repetition of igbo's ascension to power

If you read through, my repetition of igbo's ascension to power as you have put it is not because of me being igbo,i feel it is right for the sake of unity sense of belonging.

if i where to be of another tribe, i will do the same.like i did for Jonathan even though i suspected he was not a good Nigerian presidential material.

i voted for him to give him and his people that sense of belonging.

We are the youths of today and the leaders of the future, i believe it is high time we stopped following the footsteps of our past leader.

they played politics of greed, marginalization, injustice, corruption, inequality, nepotism.All these must stop.we clamor for SNC.That can start on NL cos NL is a good avenue to dialogue rather than promote hatred for each other.

We the youths must be progressive and not destructive in out thought and approach to issues.OUR LEADERS DID IT WRONG,IT'S OURS TO GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME

I LOVE NIGERIA
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by jason123: 2:52pm On Nov 10, 2011
@OP

To be honest, I feel your letter. . . I apologise if I, in anyway, contributed to negatively to your understanding of Nigeria. One love!
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Lenny5000(m): 3:27pm On Nov 10, 2011
@OP
I feel you but I have this to say. You the Youths have given the leaders weapons to enslave you forever by not UNITING. The leaders knows this and you know it too, but they also know you don't have the POWER & DISCIPLINE to effect any true Change like the Arabs you just mentioned and they will capitalize on that forever. It will take just one wrong word from an Hausa or Yoruba person and you are back to where you were before. I mean if you can spend so much time and energy to fight with INVISIBLE people (On the net) that it starts affecting you in real life, it tells a whole lot about you and where your priority lies doesn't it? Another thing you have to know is this. The Hausa's know that IBO & YORUBA would never ever agree and this always gives them a upper hand. Now having said all this, why is it so important to you where the next president comes from? Do you truly believe deep in your heart that it will affect the lives of you and your family positively? I am from the South, but would VOTE an Hausa man than vote my father if I am convinced he would move the nation forward. If you truly want to be liberated, then this is how you should think. That a man comes from my place has no bearing on whether he would be a good leader or not. If a man is good, you don't need to bother where he comes from, his qualities would be there for all to see and before you know it people would be clamoring for him to lead (Okorocha & Fashola comes to mind here) Think deep about all I have said, Bless
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by nolongTing: 4:20pm On Nov 10, 2011
@manchy7531

You throw the word unity around like a cheap pair of socks; What foundation has been laid for the so-called Youths to unite? Without a common culture there is nothing to unite with – was you raised as a Nigerian or an Igbo man?

Most Nigerians are disingenuous with each other and simply “get along”.  NL encourages Nigerians to show their true colours because it provides them with anonymity. Therefore you are fooling yourself if you think that NL is not an accurate reflection of Nigeria's sociological makeup. 

You are not a tribalist but you think an Igbo man should be president in 2015  grin  There is nothing wrong with loving your people, however it seems like your post is motivated by your guilt about being a so-called tribal bigot – maybe its the real you.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Njgirl1: 6:34pm On Nov 10, 2011
@poster really great write up but 2 be honest u totaly ruined it with the Igbo presidency thing if u had wanted to talk about Igbo presidency u shoulda started anoda thread that way u wouldnt have ruined this excellent letter. The problem in 9ja is the fact that politics cant be talked about without someone bringing up tribe or religion and it is really annoying but what we all fail to realise is that no tribe or religion is unaffected by bad leadership and worse still we cant see or feel it cos we ve been blinded 'deafed' 'dumbed'and 'dumbed' by tribalism and religous fanatism and until i joined nl I thought there was hope at least for an ethnicity free future but the constant verbal tribal wars on nl have shown me otherwise . I hope ur posts changes things.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Yeske2(m): 11:03pm On Nov 10, 2011
@OP, i am Igbo too but you ruined this beautiful write-up with the Igbo presidency stuff. I would vote ANY NIGERIAN as long as i know he can deliever.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Kobojunkie: 4:34am On Nov 11, 2011
I know we all love ourselves and we want this nation to be great, but that can only be achieved by constructively proffering solutions to our common problems.
And as for 2015, am not saying these not because am Igbo but for the fact that I am a Nigerian that believes the right thing should be done.

How in the world do you know that?

And as for 2015, am not saying these not because am Igbo but for the fact that I am a Nigerian that believes the right thing should be done.
By the end of 2015 all region must have represented Nigeria at the presidency except the igbo which is a major ethnic group , it will be right and just to allow a Nigerian president of an igbo extraction to lead Nigeria if the igbos are Nigerians and also if we want a one Nigeria.
Denying the igbo the ticket will amount to telling them they are not Nigerians but foreigners (Biafrans)
IMO the igbos of today should not be again be made to pay for the mistakes of the past generation

This message is for we the youths because it is you and i that will champions Nigeria’s future and not our old, tribalist, sentimental, evil, selfish, corrupt, power drunk past leaders. By these I mean our entire past leader, before and after independence. They are the reason why Nigeria is the way it is today because they did not make the right decisions in the past that would have affected you and I positively today.

I am with the other guy. You killed it with the portion in red there. Where were you when Ibo leaders where busy denying the existence of zoning?
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 4:43am On Nov 11, 2011
Zoning died with 2011.

We all agreed on that.

2015 is any man's game. Mehn I can't wait kiss
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by PointB: 6:29am On Nov 11, 2011
I see no bigotry on NL; what we have is individuals who are very passionate and sometimes throw meaningless words around.

@OP
if you believe NL Politic is affecting you negatively, I will suggest you try romance section.

Compartmentalising is the key to immunity from negativity; do that or get out.

T H I S I S C Y B E R ! !
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by olawalebabs(m): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Zoning died with 2011.

We all agreed on that.

2015 is any man's game. Mehn I can't wait kiss

right on point. zoning, rotation, power sharing are all deleted. We can continue to blow cold and hot at the same time. @op, truly you're a bigot.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by nku5: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2011
@ point b - lol!
@op- I agree with some other posters that the issue of an igbo president watered down your write up. Honestly I am not enthusiastic about our race pushing for 2015. Who we go push sef? Our existing crop of leaders are not up to standard. I don't believe in voting based on tribe. If andy uba runs against fashola do you think I would vote for andy uba??.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by CyberG: 8:28am On Nov 11, 2011
Why is my "Cyber" name all over here. . .I go charge all of una roja (N20) oh!? grin grin
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Sunofgod(m): 8:59am On Nov 11, 2011
Op

1) Remove my username from that list.

2) If you cant stand the heat, get your arss.e out of the kitchen.

3) See a psychiatrist about your depression - or just order for yourself some prozac, valium and profanol online.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by jmaine: 9:10am On Nov 11, 2011
OP, you take nairaland too seriously . . . . Just have a good time riling up some folks while having a good laugh while at it . . .sign off and continue mingling and interacting  with well meaning Nigerians no matter where you see them and no matter what ethnicity they come from  . . . . Nothing spoil . . .Life goes on . . . 
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 11, 2011
Too long, But i got the msg. We all hate GEJ supporters, especially Beaf who had spent a lot of time washing Dame panties. grin grin
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by fxtopedia(m): 11:52am On Nov 11, 2011
ZONING is merk by Ib****
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by moremi2008(m): 11:54am On Nov 11, 2011
These Texas Igbos don come again with their endless drama. Chei!
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 11, 2011
Yeske!:

@OP, i am Igbo too but you ruined this beautiful write-up with the Igbo presidency stuff. I would vote  ANY NIGERIAN as long as i know he can deliever.
[/

It is well brought up Igbos like you who should be commenting on Nairaland. I doff my hat for you.

Presidency is not a right. And No ethnic group will give another that right except they feel happy about it. A man of Igbo extraction can be president anyday if he is acceptable to majority of Nigerian.

We practice democracy note ethnicitocracy
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 11, 2011
Wat A Novel! shocked shocked
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by deavicky(m): 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2011
if i where to be of another tribe, i will do the same.like i did for Jonathan even though i suspected he was not a good Nigerian presidential material..

this is one of the problem with Nigeria tribalism. you just finished talking about what Nigerians does that is wrong u mention tribalism while you know you are tribelistic. you suspected Jonathan not to be good enough for Nigeria,but  you still went ahead to vote him becos of where he comes from. with such behavior how do u think Nigeria can be good?
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by oludashmi(f): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2011
manchy7531:

By the end of 2015 all region must have represented Nigeria at the presidency except the igbo which is a major ethnic group , it will be right and just to allow a Nigerian president of an igbo extraction to lead Nigeria if the igbos are Nigerians and also if we want a one Nigeria.
Denying the igbo the ticket will amount to telling them they are not Nigerians but foreigners (Biafrans)
IMO the igbos of today should not be again be made to pay for the mistakes of the past generation

How do you know we all love ourselves? From all indication, you are first an igbo man before a Nigerian? You started well but ended horribly. . .if you believe in unity, love as you claim why will it bother you who becomes president in 2015 or did you you start the thread deliberately to seek attention and later derailed it to an igbo 2015 campaign

manchy7531:

If you read through, my repetition of igbo's ascension to power as you have put it is not because of me being igbo,i feel it is right for the sake of unity sense of belonging.

if i where to be of another tribe, i will do the same.like i did for Jonathan even though i suspected he was not a good Nigerian presidential material.

i voted for him to give him and his people that sense of belonging.

We are the youths of today and the leaders of the future, i believe it is high time we stopped following the footsteps of our past leader.

they played politics of greed, marginalization, injustice, corruption, inequality, nepotism.All these must stop.we clamor for SNC.That can start on NL cos NL is a good avenue to dialogue rather than promote hatred for each other.

We the youths must be progressive and not destructive in out thought and approach to issues.OUR LEADERS DID IT WRONG,IT'S OURS TO GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME

I LOVE NIGERIA

Imagine your level of tribalism even before joining NL. . . .you know someone is not good for a nation of over 150million but you voted him for the sake of ethnicism. If Goodluck end up not achieving any tangible thing in 4yrs, you would have sent to an early grave millions of Nigerians and would have destroyed millions of destinies on the ground of ethnic group.

Stop lieing, you do not love Nigeria, you love only ibo land and ibo presidency.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
Good advice but i can't understand why people spend so much energy advocating for what region should produce the next president. Am Igbo and i don't care if the president is from my village or not so can you all kill it. Those who also convulse at the mention of an Igbo man becoming president need to seek medical attention soonest coz it ain't about what tribe but what skills the candidate has to offer.

Debates can be feisty and rarely warm so what happens here on NL is very normal and will remain so for very long. My strategy is to whisk through unintelligent comments to read either funny ones or sound ones. That way, i can decipher who has plenty of gibberish and hopeless attitude.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 11, 2011
A lot of people are here to play and while away a time and don't give a damn about being constructive or sounding smart.

Theirs is to press the key board and relieve themselves of all the stress of the day.

Did I say a lot of people? They are actually the majority. They are really frustrated in their miserable lives hence the need to pounce on anybody that sounds sane or happy.

Don't stress yourself over the comments of people you don't know and you may never get to know. They are faceless elements behind the screen using the net as their psychotherapy.

Chill!
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by highland(m): 12:42pm On Nov 11, 2011
Tribalism should be do way with in this new Nigeria.
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Koolking(m): 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
Magnificent write-up indeed

@op, let the change begins with you. I was inspired by your write-up but was embarrasingly disappointed at your preference for igbo presidency in 2015 and your yard stick for your vote for GEJ. that speak volume of you as attention seeker and highly prejudice in reasoning. Your philosophy about growth can only move nigeria backward and not forward.

As a Nigerian, and not a tribal freak, my sentiment lies on who will lead the country from it present quagmire state to enviable position in the committee of nations. Pls, let be constructive rather than being sarcastic
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by BoOOosHBoy: 1:20pm On Nov 11, 2011
michelin89:

A lot of people are here to play and while away a time and don't give a damn about being constructive or sounding smart.

Theirs is to press the key board and relief themselves of all the stress of the day.

Did I say a lot of people? They are actually the majority. They are really frustrated in their miserable lives hence the need to pounce on anybody that sounds sane or happy.

Don't stress yourself over the comments of people you don't know and you may never get to know. They are faceless elements behind the screen using the net as their psychotherapy.

Chill!
No offence but u're sure one of them
Re: My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 11, 2011
@ Op: i sincerely feel ur pain. Nairaland is a beautiful forum, an ingenious nd timely craft, but truth be told, there's simply too much negativity. I also gt cynical weneva i follow NL. Esp d election era. Dere are stil riznable posts bt d negativity swallows dem up.
Nigeria wil be built by Nigerians, d earlier we realize dis, d better nd NL provides a sure effective vehicle to achieve dis. India, wit its legendary 'slums' stil projects herself as 'incredible India'. Please lets take a cue by being positive nd constructive in our NL literary, startin frm myself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Chelsea Fans Are Going To Church This Morning / Hilarious: When You Blow Whistle In Ebonyi State! (pics) / The Bible Is An African History Book - Discuss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.