Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. - Science/Technology (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. (57082 Views)

Jpmorgan Will Let Consumers Pay With Their Face Or Palm Instead Of A Card (pic) / Free Energy Charger System No Need For Nepa Or Solar / Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by zeestone99(m): 3:48pm On Feb 18
matify83:

Hmm!

That would be difficult because I upgraded over time to the present specification I mentioned.

I don't have any idea on the current prices of the items.

60A 150v epever mppt charge controller 6 years ago was 100k

Kartel inverter 3.5kva, 12v 2 years ago was about 200k ( if I remember correctly)

4 Tubular batteries 220A over a year ago at 145k each

10 Canadian solar 350w monocrystalline solar panels (second hand) at 40k each bought 6 years ago.

Good old days when. It cost a fortune now to get these things
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Horbar1: 3:48pm On Feb 18
Truvelisback:
How much did it cost?
Tubular battery cost ₦235k, panel cost ₦68k, inverter cost ₦320k. I am talking about a month ago.

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by madgoat(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18
matify83:
It's splendid!

I use a 3.5kva 12v kartel inverter and 4 220AH tubular batteries I connected in parallel to make 880AH.

I power virtually every thing in the house including an lg inverter AC for most of the afternoons , an lg inverter fridge/freezer and a bona solar chest freezer.

I've been fully off grid for going to 6 years by May and I don't have any regrets at all.

The installation was done DIY with little touch by my electrician.

LIES 🤥

2 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Ournolly: 3:51pm On Feb 18
matify83:
For the doubting Thomas's.

The time on the inverter is 10:21am.

Input panel voltage is at 14 already (remember: it's a 12v system)

Input current from the panels is hovering around 41.95A and above.
The display on that charge controller is strange.
Are you sure it's mppt?
Looks like pwm.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by JimohMomoh: 3:52pm On Feb 18
TheGift:

No dey wont all be on at the same time.

The laptops will be on mostly during work hours , the when the ACs will most likely not be on. Two ACs will never be on at the same time, remember, they are inverter ACs. All fans will Hardly be on at the same time some
Are for work space others are for living spaces which do not work at the same time. Certainly all the energy saving bulbs will never be on at the same time. E.g Security lights only come on at night.

The priority and constant for me is the freezer to stock fresh goods/save costs -and its an inverter freezer.

What's the name of the inverter deep freezer
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by DaCharis2016: 3:52pm On Feb 18
Dyfynezz12:

Ok,thanks I reside at Abia state but I do come to Lagos frequently for business
I will check the person out
You can also check Blue Carbon Tech. They sell quality battery and other solar products so far.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by pneumaticos(m): 3:53pm On Feb 18
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Considering the hike in Fuel and Nepa bill coupled with epileptic power supply in Naija. Now, guys using Solar energy instead of Nepa or Gen. How do you guys do it? What type do you use? How do you manage it? I'm thinking of using solar but i would like you to share your experience.

Buy the stuff with the help of a solar guy

I mean go to the market yourself

Depending on your needs
The best setup are around 2kw upwards

And cost chicken change of about 900k at most
But if you go for a company this setup above may cost upto 1.2 million above

And if you have good money

Of say 3 million upwards in investment

Use a lithium battery,

Especially if what you need is above 5kw
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by degbads(m): 3:53pm On Feb 18
+234 808 088 4240 Akan
This guy set up mine
5kva in April 2023
I paid 1.27m
Of course it would be higher by now
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by pneumaticos(m): 3:54pm On Feb 18
DaCharis2016:
You can also check Blue Carbon Tech. They sell quality battery and other solar products so far.

That's the new rug Eddie battry
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Fyzt: 3:54pm On Feb 18
I have been on solar for over 8 years now , it powered by fridge TV and lights. Tho all my lights are on DC , all my fan are also on DC I only use AC with my fridge and TV meaning at night I don't need to power my inverter at all
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by McLizbae: 3:54pm On Feb 18
Welldone! Na that your 12v; 3.5kva inverter dey enter my eyes pass. Id always wanted to stick with 12v inverter for budget purpose. I wish I'd read this about 2years ago. It is very hard to find 12v Pure sine wave inverters with power rating higher than 1-1.5kva back then.
matify83:
It's splendid!

I use a 3.5kva 12v kartel inverter and 4 220AH tubular batteries I connected in parallel to make 880AH.

I power virtually every thing in the house including an lg inverter AC for most of the afternoons , an lg inverter fridge/freezer and a bona solar chest freezer.

I've been fully off grid for going to 6 years by May and I don't have any regrets at all.

The installation was done DIY with little touch by my electrician.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by franchasofficia: 3:54pm On Feb 18
ModCaller:

Your figures are very wrong. The only thing correct is the battery rack. Try and do proper market research before posted inflated figures.
I installed in my office on Tuesday after comparing prices from several sources and you are talking about inflated price lol, continue
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by prigoz(m): 3:56pm On Feb 18
Dyfynezz12:

But Boss can 2m get me this in this current economy
2m can start it though free fall of naira to dollar is a big problem, my own is 4 panels of 360w, 2 200Ah battery and 3.5kva inverter at Nnewi last June include wire and few things and workmanship roughly 1m. My 3 rooms flat is fully carried but solar with timer that starts from 10.30am and stops by 4pm for deep freezer, but other things like tv, energy bulbs of 5w and fan especially at night. So start from somewhere and upgrade. My little advice

2 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 3:57pm On Feb 18
Ournolly:

The display on that charge controller is strange.
Are you sure it's mppt?
Looks like pwm.

It seems Nigerians have trust issues.

Thank God today is Sunday and I'm at home to clear all doubting Thomas's

Let me go and snap it for you.

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Success957: 3:58pm On Feb 18
BigDawsNet:

Why is the battery not always strong?

Whenever I think about the solar.. People just talk abt the battery lives?
Try lithium batteries and thank me later. They are very rugged and durable they can last for 10-15years depending on how you use them but the minimum is 10 years

3 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 4:00pm On Feb 18
madgoat:

LIES 🤥

Because you know me and we live in the same house.

I know your type.

Carry your madness go front abeg!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Osidazz19: 4:02pm On Feb 18
Off NEPA for 3 years ( was never connected to NEPA once the house was done) and this has to be the best investment I have ever made in Nigeria. I have light 24/7 and I'm enjoying it.
My solar system is only in use when I'm in the country which is about every 3 months for about 2 weeks but it's working fine so far.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by DaCharis2016: 4:04pm On Feb 18
cletz991:
I need a reliable solar generator to power my TV, fan laptop and to charge my phone. Any recommendations
You can contact Engr. Dominion on 0813 272 7354. He's a reliable Engr. He can procure and install for u a quality solar system. He is in Alaba.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by marksleek2584(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18
Solar energy si the way to go. For starters, NO MORE GWNERATOR NOISE!!! THAT TOPS IT ALL FOR ME. You go just de enjoy yourself inside house, no noise, no waking up to top up fuel, to turn off generator, nothing! An inverter fridge keeps your food items fresh, cold water everytime of the time for this dry season...solar fans as well...
Using 4 × 330W panels , powered Evey part of the house...most times I even forget that Nepa brings light...though I don't use the solar to power my pumping machine sha....about the only reason why I still need Nepa😂

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by madridguy(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18
Depends on the battery. Amaze battery is now 300k.

Horbar1:
Tubular battery cost ₦235k, panel cost ₦68k, inverter cost ₦320k. I am talking about a month ago.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by cletz991(m): 4:09pm On Feb 18
I live in Delta
DaCharis2016:
You can contact Engr. Dominion on 0813 272 7354. He's a reliable Engr. He can procure and install for u a quality solar system. He is in Alaba.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by babaowambe: 4:11pm On Feb 18
Success957:

Try lithium batteries and thank me later. They are very rugged and durable they can last for 10-15years depending on how you use them but the minimum is 10 years
I heard from the source that they are dangerous
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by DaCharis2016: 4:13pm On Feb 18
SaintUlot:
Solar electricity is cheaper than Generator electricity, but Nepa electricity is far cheaper than Solar electricity.
Do you then have NEPA electricity?

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by jadajada: 4:17pm On Feb 18
Elliotwaveforec:

I use Beebee jump low budget! I'm enjoying it, 2 years now. I want to upgrade to accommodate 0.75 HP water pump.
what's the capacity and can it charge laptop?
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by DaCharis2016: 4:19pm On Feb 18
cletz991:
I live in Delta
Not a barrier...he buys materials here in Lagos and despatches to other states. And he can as well come down for installation if proper discussion is made.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by BigDawsNet: 4:23pm On Feb 18
tenpipsperday:

Some people overload the batteries bro but they will not tell you

Oh, good point
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by BigDawsNet: 4:23pm On Feb 18
Greenscientist:

Sometimes users use it beyond it capability.

You right
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by DaCharis2016: 4:24pm On Feb 18
pneumaticos:

That's the new rug Eddie battry
What's that?
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by ModCaller: 4:25pm On Feb 18
franchasofficia:
I installed in my office on Tuesday after comparing prices from several sources and you are talking about inflated price lol, continue

You got ripped.

You can get original 220ah for 220k - 250k. You can get original 80a mmpt charge controller for less than 150k. 350W used solar panel go for 55k - 60k.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Love800(m): 4:30pm On Feb 18
Hello.
Can one use solar without inverter?
Pedrocross4568:

You are missing the fact. The solar panels are used to power the batteries. The actual output is coming from the inverter. so the inverter is 3.5 kVA. all those home appliances you listed are powered by the the 3.5 kVA inverter.

What you should be worrying about is how long the power supply last, due to the fact he doesn't have enough solar panels to power the batteries and than again there is every possible that he still use grid to change the battery.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by jerobua: 4:31pm On Feb 18
I have read through everyone's response to your question, And I am not going to counter anyone's advise given to you.
I have been using Solar electricity for several years and I am still using it now and I also did some installation back then before I stopped.
There are facts about Solar electricity you need to know before you venture into it.its left for you to make your choice
What I am about to tell now, no solar electricity engineer would tell you
Firstly, you can't replace THE MAIN GRID with Solar electricity, solar is there for back up.
It's better you do a household solar system, probably a 2.0kva,24V Inverter 1000watts solar panel, 2 TUBULAR BATTERIES system to carry resistive loads of TV, DSTV,one or two fans DURING THE DAY WHEN THERE IS SUNLIGHT and when it's evening, use it for LIGHTING OF BULBS ONLY.
Use your remaining money to buy a standard generator that can power your AC, FREEZER and other inductive loads.
Do not buy china made, buy ORIGINAL INDIAN PRODUCT that will last you, get the once that has SERVICE CENTRE In case of repairs of minor faults
Install a battery balancer on your 24V battery system
Make sure you do EARTHING on your solar system to prevent LIGHTNING damage during rainfall
I wish someone told me all these facts when I first ventured into solar electricity, I wasted a lot of money before I finally got it right
Don't waste your money trying to build solar system that will carry PUMPING MACHINE ,AC,FREEZERS, ITS VERY EXPENSIVE TO BUILD NOW. TRUTH BE TOLD it will work after installation but not sustainable, because these appliances draw lots of current from the batteries, even if you buy 10 batteries at once, it's a matter of time, the moment one of the battery develops a fault( thermal fault, shorted cell, open cell) it will start to affect others.
And lastly, during rainfall, solar electricity is not always effective, you will have to rely more on your battery backup, at this time try to reduce your resistive loads.
I hope you find this helpful.....JSolar, jerryighodalo@gmail.com.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Omenlon: 4:32pm On Feb 18
Geovanni412:

You are still thinking

Whilst you are thinking, ask about the budget and put the money in dollars

Then conclude your investigation and continue

Anyway, if you are in the South East, I can link you up with the guy that installed our own

It is a heavy investment, for 3-bedroom apartment, you may need minimum of 3 million to run it

Duplex, you should be talking close to 10 million.
please break the cost down because this must be a lie from the pit of hell.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

A Young Boy Constructed An Aeroplane In Enugu State (Photos) / Big Martial Eagle Killed At Ogbomosho, Oyo State (Photos) / Pictures Of A Made In Nigeria Helicopter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.