Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? (507 Views)

I Will End Sit-At-Home In Anambra From Today - Ifeanyi Ubah / Buhari Directs Security Agencies To Ensure Nothing Stops Anambra Guber Election / Enough Is Enough: Obiano Urges Youths To Defend Anambra From Hooligans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 12:19pm On Feb 19
They can use direct labour and lay tracks in Onitsha, and get their train coaches and wagons from the Kajola Train Wagon Manufacturing Plant in Ogun state.

Why don’t they do it?

I think it’s just laziness on the part of their leaders.

Just look at what Lagos is doing!

Today, Red Line opened, tomorrow Blue Line, Purple Line…

I mean, don’t they feel ashamed that they are getting left behind by the SW?

I find their inertia shocking and unsettling.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Depriest2020: 12:21pm On Feb 19
Topman7:
They can use direct labour and lay tracks in Onitsha, and get their train coaches and wagons from the Kajola Train Wagon Manufacturing Plant in Ogun state.

Why don’t they do it?

Please why Anambra in specific? Are you from Anambra state?

4 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 12:27pm On Feb 19
Depriest2020:

Please why Anambra in specific? Are you from Anambra state?

I’m a Nigerian. That’s all that matters.

I chose Anambra because Onitsha is a place that is very similar to Lagos in terms of frenetic commercial activities and movement of people here and there.

They need an intracity rail service and they have the labour force, so what’s holding them?

Mobilize the youths and lay down some tracks, man.

4 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by a4cube: 12:29pm On Feb 19
Because Tinubu is sleeping away in Adis Ababa

2 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Alaigbo(m): 12:30pm On Feb 19
When the bastard that promise them Onitsha rail don loot their destiny finish inside hin daughter Pandora account abroad.

Small time go show face drop crumbles as donation to fool the fools supporting him while is foolish supporters are fixated on a Lagos that is moving from leaps to bounds.

Topman7:

Why don’t they do it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Anambra1stSonTV: 12:31pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

Why don’t they do it?

It took Lagos more than two decades to build state railline outside Lagos tell me another Southwest state that funded it railline, currently Anambra state government under Soludo is designing Anambra rail master plan it's being handled by CPCS a Canadian company, which will be completed in few months then the gov will inaugurate the project
https://cpcs.ca/projects/cpcs-to-deliver-anambra-rail-master-plan/#:~:text=This%20rail%20master%20plan%20will,Federal%20Government%20standard%20rail%20line.

8 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Alaigbo(m): 12:33pm On Feb 19
Till 9090 Onitsha no fit get rail

Topman7:

I chose Anambra because Onitsha is a place that is very similar to Lagos in terms of frenetic commercial activities and movement of people here and there.

They need an intracity rail service and they have the labour force, so what’s holding them?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by KingKO22: 12:35pm On Feb 19
What foundation did Pandora Obituary laid down for Anambra?

All the audio billionaires from Anambra are not yet ready

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Anambra1stSonTV: 12:41pm On Feb 19
KingKO22:
What foundation did Pandora Obituary laid down for Anambra?

All the audio billionaires from Anambra are not yet ready

You should worry about your hungry brothers and sisters that are protesting, Anambra will be the last state to protest because of hunger

7 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Depriest2020: 12:42pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

Ok I get your point.
But I don't know if the state has the funds to execute the project to avoid leaving it abandoned. I would have loved FG to build a rail way from the north and west to Onitsha. Reason is because everyday people from all the 36 states travel there to buy goods, it will make more economic value. I love what Lagos state government is doing, other rich states like Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Delta and Bayelsa can replicate same in their respective states. Don't know why they not thinking in that line.

3 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 12:45pm On Feb 19
Anambra1stSonTV:

It took Lagos more than two decades to build state railline outside Lagos tell me another Southwest state that funded it railline, currently Anambra state government under Soludo is designing Anambra rail master plan it's being handled by CPCS a Canadian company, which will be completed in few months then the gov will inaugurate the project
https://cpcs.ca/projects/cpcs-to-deliver-anambra-rail-master-plan/#:~:text=This%20rail%20master%20plan%20will,Federal%20Government%20standard%20rail%20line.

This is all well and good, but we’ve been seeing these sort of plans for donkey years, with nothing at the end.

I reckon it’s due to the cost, so why don’t they use Direct Labour just like Ebonyi state does with many projects?

1 Like

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Anambra1stSonTV: 12:45pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

Why don’t they do it?

Same company designed Lagos blue rail project in 2008

3 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Anambra1stSonTV: 12:46pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

This is all well and good, but we’ve been seeing these sort of plans for donkey years, with nothing at the end.

I reckon it’s due to the cost, so why don’t they use Direct Labour just like Ebonyi state does with many projects?

This is the first time Anambra rail master plan was awarded and currently ongoing

3 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Anambra1stSonTV: 12:48pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

We are building world class project you can use direct labour in your state

4 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Depriest2020: 12:53pm On Feb 19
OP I thought you meant well, but it's like this topic was created to bash Anambra state.

2 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Anambra1stSonTV: 12:55pm On Feb 19
Alaigbo:
Till 9090 Onitsha no fit get rail

Bitter mind e go clear for your eyes

3 Likes

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Golan007: 1:05pm On Feb 19
Anam

grin
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by haffaze777(m): 1:27pm On Feb 19
Anambra1stSonTV:

You should worry about your hungry brothers and sisters that are protesting, Anambra will be the last state to protest because of hunger

Yea because they've device another means which is sell your kid and buy bread
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by nairalanda1(m): 1:40pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

Why don’t they do it?

Because it costs too much money if you are not Lagos.

Lagos has the advantage of being our largest city and an international city and our business capital.

Even then it took 10 years to construct two out of the seven rail lines it needs to build. Five more to go.

Most other states try but find out the money is too much. Kano wanted to do it, but the loan needed led to a huge outcry that the then governor terminated the idea.

Maybe if states started raising income from tax because most of them have very low tax to gdp ratios, maybe.
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 5:46pm On Feb 19
Anambra1stSonTV:

We are building world class project you can use direct labour in your state

This is the difference between Nigerians and the Chinese.

The Chinese lack your inferiority complex which says “what we do cannot be as good as what the white man does”.

They believe in starting from within their own capacity and progressing steadily by learning from their mistakes etc.

Tragic.

How will you ever become developed and industrialised if you lack trust in your own capacity?
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 6:05pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

Because it costs too much money if you are not Lagos.

Lagos has the advantage of being our largest city and an international city and our business capital.

Even then it took 10 years to construct two out of the seven rail lines it needs to build. Five more to go.

Most other states try but find out the money is too much. Kano wanted to do it, but the loan needed led to a huge outcry that the then governor terminated the idea.

Maybe if states started raising income from tax because most of them have very low tax to gdp ratios, maybe.

They need to LOOK INWARDS and do what it takes to lay tracks with direct labour.

You do not need white men to come from Europe to lay down FCKING rail tracks.

For crying out loud, don’t those states have universities?

Why can’t they go to their universities and get their civil engineering departments to develop the blueprint for the cheapest rail system possible, using indigenous know how and labour?

No. They will say because we don’t have 500 million dollars to pay a company in Canada to come and do it, so no rail!

Who did this to you people?

Are you aware your ancestors built the Benin Wall and Rampart system 600 years ago that’s 16 thousand kilometres long in total, and is four times longer than the Great Wall of China?

It’s actually in the Guinness Book of Records!

So how is it that today you cannot build a simple 20 km rail track without calling Canada and America and UK?

It’s disgusting and disgraceful.

You don’t lack the brains.

After all Igbos built various sophisticated weapons and equipment during the war using local inputs, know how and technology.

If you can build Ogbunigwe and such things, you can lay down rail tracks and a rail system.

We do not need to be in a war situation before we can be creative!
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by nairalanda1(m): 6:10pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

They need to LOOK INWARDS and do what it takes to lay tracks with direct labour.

You do not need white men to come from Europe to lay down FCKING rail tracks.

For crying out loud, don’t those states have universities?

Why can’t they go to their universities and get their civil engineering departments to develop the blueprint for the cheapest rail system using indigenous know how and labour?

No. They will say because we don’t have 500 million dollars to pay a company in Canada to come and do it, so no rail!

Who did this to you people?

Are you aware your ancestors built the Benin Wall and Rampart system 600 years ago that’s 16 thousand kilometres long in total, and is four times longer than the Great Wall of China?

It’s actually in the Guinness Book of Records!

So how is it that today you cannot build a 20 km rail track without calling Canada and America and UK?

It’s disgusting and disgraceful.

1. Looking inwards is going to mean improved tax collection. And as we all know, NIgerians hate that. See the abuse i get when I say we should raise our tax to gdp ratio.

2.The thing has to pay for itself. Lagos is a large city, makes sense. Cities like Awka and Birnin Kebbi...probably not. And knowing Nigerians, dem no go gree for a ticket for the light rail that would cost N2000 and above.

3.Again looking inwards. People won't do a capital intensive project like that without showing them the money. Only option...loans. Kano (which needs a light rail, really) tried to get a loan to kickstart the project. Everyone screamed blue murder. Would you want your state to collect loan to do the project, even if the money would be spent properly, no stealing? The loan has to be paid back

4. Lagos is a large city with a lot of businesses and stuff and was our capital, and is still our business capital, and was doing international trade, since like the 14th century . It;s got financial advantages other states don't have..

5. Railways are not cheap. To make the metal alloys that would go into the rail lines, costs lots of money. To even make the rail cabs..lots of money. And guess what...we don't have the heavy industry capacity to build a domestc rail from scratch here. Meaning...call the foreigners...meaning...expensive...meaning...LOANS.
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by mrvitalis(m): 6:15pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

Why don’t they do it?

Because it's not economically sustainable

It would increase the state recurrent expenditure, create less than 3000 jobs while costing billions

Those are feel good project that no sensible state in Nigeria should bother about

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:22pm On Feb 19
Depriest2020:
OP I thought you meant well, but it's like this topic was created to bash Anambra state.

Of course it was! He’s probably Yoruba, and mos-def a Tinubu/APC minion…..one feeling all smug and superior as he claims ‘ownership’ of Lagos and uses the city as ‘proof’ Yoruba are sophisticated and better than the Igbo! That’s all what this, and the other thread wanting to compare tech hubs in both states, is all about!

1 Like

Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Shikena(m): 6:30pm On Feb 19
Agree that it is not 'profitable' but disagree that it is just a feel good project. Government is not necessarily about profit making but provision of enabling environment for thriving economy. Note, I disagree with you is not the same as 'you make no sense'. You made perfect sense but the debate on the role of government and the cost of NOT providing these expensive public infrastructure is age long.

mrvitalis:

Because it's not economically sustainable

It would increase the state recurrent expenditure, create less than 3000 jobs while costing billions

Those are feel good project that no sensible state in Nigeria should bother about
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 6:37pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

1. Looking inwards is going to mean improved tax collection. And as we all know, NIgerians hate that. See the abuse i get when I say we should raise our tax to gdp ratio.

2.The thing has to pay for itself. Lagos is a large city, makes sense. Cities like Awka and Birnin Kebbi...probably not. And knowing Nigerians, dem no go gree for a ticket for the light rail that would cost N2000 and above.

3.Again looking inwards. People won't do a capital intensive project like that without showing them the money. Only option...loans. Kano (which needs a light rail, really) tried to get a loan to kickstart the project. Everyone screamed blue murder. Would you want your state to collect loan to do the project, even if the money would be spent properly, no stealing? The loan has to be paid back

4. Lagos is a large city with a lot of businesses and stuff and was our capital, and is still our business capital, and was doing international trade, since like the 14th century . It;s got financial advantages other states don't have..

5. Railways are not cheap. To make the metal alloys that would go into the rail lines, costs lots of money. To even make the rail cabs..lots of money. And guess what...we don't have the heavy industry capacity to build a domestc rail from scratch here. Meaning...call the foreigners...meaning...expensive...meaning...LOANS.

Very good.

Now I want you to use the same insight and intelligence to show us HOW it CAN be done, despite the impediments you listed.

Imagine you are answering an exam question where you asked to provide both sides of the argument.

Or imagine we are in a war situation, where the ONLY hope of survival is to build a rail line to move our people far away from the shooting.

Oya, tell us what you will do.

You know what?

If you spent as much time brainstorming on how you MUST do it, rather than on why it is ‘impossible’, you WILL come up with something.

Definitely.

We have iron ore in this country, right?

Do you know we INVENTED iron smelting?

Google it. The oldest iron smelting site on Earth was discovered recently in Lejja, southeast Nigeria.

So we can build those rail tracks if we put our minds to it, without it costing billions.
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Max24: 6:38pm On Feb 19
They are not concerned about that. They refused to challenge their leaders over mediocre leadership will be busy stripping Tinubu off any commendation over his long term projects coming to fruition in Lagos. Charity they say begins at home?
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by nairalanda1(m): 6:42pm On Feb 19
Topman7:

Very good.

Now I want you to use the same insight and intelligence to show us HOW it can STILL be done, despite the impediments you listed.

Imagine we are in a war situation, where the ONLY hope of survival is to build a rail line to move our people far away from the shooting.

Oya, tell us what you will do.

You know what?

If you spent as much time brainstorming on how you MUST do it, rather than on why it is ‘impossible’, you WILL come up with something.

Definitely.

1. States take a loan, and pay for the project

2.States then charge very high prices for the ticket, something like N2000 for a 30 minute ride. Higher for longer rides.

That is the only thing that makes sense for now. And most states know their people won't like it.

3.States tax everyone from the beggar, rural dweller, farmer, welder, etc to pay for the project. Heavily.
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by Topman7: 7:01pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

1. States take a loan, and pay for the project

2.States then charge very high prices for the ticket, something like N2000 for a 30 minute ride. Higher for longer rides.

That is the only thing that makes sense for now. And most states know their people won't like it.

3.States tax everyone from the beggar, rural dweller, farmer, welder, etc to pay for the project. Heavily.

I’m not convinced that this thing is as exorbitant as you guys claim it is, especially if we’re looking inwards. Do you realise we have a rail plant here that builds rail coaches or cabins/wagons?

Most definitely they will not be as costly as imported trains from Canada and the US.

And really, if folks are not willing to pay tax, then how the hell are we going to develop the country?

Even countries already developed impose heavy tax on everything. In America when you buy something in the shop you pay tax. You enter a restaurant to eat, you’ll pay tax. In the UK you pay VAT on everything.

And we wonder why they are developed?

We just have to accept the need to pay taxes as a matter of course.

And the state must show the benefits of the taxes in the form of projects etc, to prevent people saying their taxes are not being used for their purpose.
Re: What Stops Anambra From Laying Rail Tracks Now, And Putting Trains On Them? by mrvitalis(m): 8:03pm On Feb 19
Shikena:
Agree that it is not 'profitable' but disagree that it is just a feel good project. Government is not necessarily about profit making but provision of enabling environment for thriving economy. Note, I disagree with you is not the same as 'you make no sense'. You made perfect sense but the debate on the role of government and the cost of NOT providing these expensive public infrastructure is age long.

Of Anambra has the money to build rail good and fine

But borrowing $300 million to build rail that can never make back that money makes no sense

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Update On Port Harcourt Refinery / Threats From Iran And Its Proxies Is Ironclad- Biden Dismissed Iran Missiles / The Enemies Within And The Battle Of Supremacy; Bello Remains Unabated.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.