Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,837 members, 7,844,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu (12361 Views)

Naira: Tinubu Will Shock Currency Speculators – Tope Fasua / Crisis In Presidency: ECOWAS Rejected Attempt To Undermine Osinbajo - Daily Post / Disquiet In SSS, Officers Threaten To Undermine Buhari’s Reelection, Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by spiSeyi: 10:52pm On Feb 20
The only way to save Naira in the short term is to convert all the dom account to Naira, the CBN should stop printing Naira for now, and lets our buyers pay us in Naira instead of the USD, then trade with some of our largest suppliers e.g. Chinese in their local currency RMB. But it will be difficult for the government to implement the measure of converting Dom account to Naira because the big boys will be affected. Doing this will make all the speculators to trade off their USD for Naira while their be excess liquidity of USD in the market which will naturally crash the USD.
And in the long term Nigeria should diversify its economy and through tourism, tech, education, health and agriculture by investing heavily on them.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by Konquest: 10:53pm On Feb 20
michlins:
to the average Joe on the street and pa and ma in rural areas, they want results not English explanations of what went wrong or what should have happened.

Unfortunately this government love tales and reeling out policies which they don't back with real actions.

A bigger problem is on the horizon if food insecurity isn't tackled ASAP. Government should as a matter of urgency import basic food and flood the markets.

There are savings from subsidy running into billions
There is actually foodstuffs in a lot of communities from intelligence reports available to me. What is really happening is that hyperinflation has made nonsense of people's monthly income, so they can't buy foods as-and-when-due.

I'm against importation because it would destroy all the years of effort of many people who set up farms and rice processing mills for instance. Their workers would also lose their jobs. The rapid deployment of CNG-KITTED food trucks to me is what would lower the cost of foodstuffs thereby leading to cheaper foods in the markets which people can afford from their monthly earnings.

Did you know that as of 2016, the World Bank stated that Nigerians were spending up to 52 percent of their monthly income on food alone which as of 2016 was the HIGHEST in the whole world! This was in 2016. Therefore, ANY politician, President and State Governors should be CLEARLY intentional by lowering that percentage from over 50 percent to below 10 percent of monthly income spent on foodstuffs. I like dealing with statistical data for medium to long-term planning purposes... These statistical data can be studied and can easily be used to solve societal problems for sustainable growth and development.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by OsunOriginal: 10:56pm On Feb 20
Ibrahimcoomasie:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/speculators-undermine-measures-to-stabilize-foreign-exchange-market-ribadu/amp/

How about the crooks in banks. How many MDs and directors of the corruption cesspool called banks have been arrested and locked up?
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by DOM7: 11:28pm On Feb 20
APC the almighty accusers worse than the devil.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by NovusHomo(m): 12:22am On Feb 21
Godfullsam:
If the issue fx scarcity must end, the president has to be ready to step on toes.

Most bank officials, government officials, law makers, governors and the president himself are hoarding dollars in their various homes.

No body has the right to own dollars at all, it is not our legal tender.
Government should go after these dollar slaves, ransack their homes and jail anyone found with any foreign currency.

The government should end the activities of bureau de change with immediate effect and convert every dollar accounts in various banks to naira equivalents.
Government impose 300% tax on importation of luxury goods also.

Government should take the fight against corruption and economic saboteur serious .

Trials, prosecution and possible execution of these criminals should be done on live television for all to see and learn.
Government should include subjects that has to do with patriotism into school curriculum.

Our current leaders are a product of the society.

Interesting. So if I have leftover $s and I am catching a flight to Lagos, I should throw those $s in a trash can at the airport before boarding? Seriously, most Nigerians need information on how things work. I'll tell you what; the US doesn't give a s**t about how much foreign currency you bring into the country. Most of them can't compete with the $ anyway. Just declare it's value in $s. Beyond a certain limit, justify possession and explain why you need so much. The same with taking out $s. Any amount above $10,000 will require that you declare it in a form to be filled out by you for the same reason. Valuable currencies don't need protection.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by NovusHomo(m): 12:30am On Feb 21
Ibrahimcoomasie:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/speculators-undermine-measures-to-stabilize-foreign-exchange-market-ribadu/amp/

CLOWNS. Have you forgotten your "willing seller, willing buyer" maxim? Market forces of demand and supply will always win.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by Godfullsam(m): 4:38am On Feb 21
NovusHomo:

Interesting. So if I have leftover $s and I am catching a flight to Lagos, I should throw those $s in a trash can at the airport before boarding? Seriously, most Nigerians need information on how things work. I'll tell you what; the US doesn't give a s**t about how much foreign currency you bring into the country. Most of them can't compete with the $ anyway. Just declare it's value in $s. Beyond a certain limit, justify possession and explain why you need so much. The same with taking out $s. Any amount above $10,000 will require that you declare it in a form to be filled out by you for the same reason. Valuable currencies don't need protection.

If you have left over $s go and deposit it in the bank. It will immediately be converted to it's naira equivalent and you can go and withdraw in dollar when ever you need it.

No one should be allowed to hoard the dollar for whatever reason.

Desperate situations require desperate measures.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by Gr8amechi: 7:02am On Feb 21
mrvitalis:
Speculation is part of forex or any business in the world

Was there not speculators under PDP?
Was there not speculators when naira was stable?

The issue is not speculators the issue is this

Because of the rush to say we floated the naira.. Tinubu floated and unstable currency causing panic, people like me who don't need dollars in the near futures started demanding for dollars, which caused more instability

You guys don't even know the cause of the problem... There is no faith on the naira that's the fundamental issue

Tinubu government doesn't inspire faith at all
You said the whole truth.

Naira has lost the core value of money which is a store of value.

I can bet if the government just spread a speculation that they are pegging naira to 1kbto a dollar you would see the pressure reducing because if it continues like this, every single Nigerians would be moving their little savings out of naira and this will continue to make it crash.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by Satazaa: 7:04am On Feb 21
post=128559040:

One of the solution to what we have on ground,
Then we have more....

The major problems are massive depreciation of naira, rising cost of production and what looks like galloping inflation.
We support most of the measures taken but not the modus operandi.
The provision of palliatives by FG through states was good but the states did not implement the palliatives simultaneously.
Some have not even been implemented till now.
So, the conditions have worsened for many citizens.
There’s a need to check what happens with palliative implementation in troubled states.

More solutions...
Improvement in farming, agriculture and industrial production will solve the problems with financial and fiscal interventions and reduction in security problems.
Then we start working on production with largely domestic inputs.
For exchange rate, there is a need to ban importation of some products relating to food and clothing, go for a moratorium on some debts, and increase oil and gas exports with proceeds to solve debt repayment and servicing with excess as reserves for intervention in the FX market.

Nigeria 🇳🇬 will be great in our lifetime.

We Rise ✔️
thanks a million times for your sense of patriotism

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by Bfly: 8:30am On Feb 21
Fg should stop announcing moves, we are tired of buying hopes.

Rich or poor. All black cares about is his belly
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by VULCAN(m): 11:11am On Feb 21
APC is a failure.

If you focused on production would speculators be bearish on the Naira.

They can clearly see that you people have no plans to get the economy working so they are buying dollars and pounds knowing that they can make lots of money when they sell later.

Dazall
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by charlsecy(m): 3:09pm On Feb 21
@Godfullsam,
Nonsense, unworkable solutions you posted up there.
Re: Speculators Undermine Measures To Stabilize Foreign Exchange Market – Ribadu by princefunm: 5:38pm On Feb 21
Speculators are not the problem.

There will always be speculators in a living economy.

I keep saying.....there are macro issues that are being ignored.

Tackle this macro issues first. Tackle this macro issues first.

Going after speculators and closing all windows will only grind the economy to a full halt.

The reason nothing the so called proactive government has failed so far is because they are focusing on the wrong things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sani Abacha's 73rd Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Invitation: President Muhammadu Buhari Wedding Is Tommorow. Pic / APC & Labour Party: "Same Scam Different Era" - Omoyele Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.