Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,683 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria (453 Views)

This State Governor Have No Wife Nor Children / Vested Interest In APC Delaying Emergence Of Tinubu’s Running Mate / CBN To ABCON: Play Greater Role In BDC Sub-sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 2:40pm On Feb 21
If the activities of BDC operators in Nigeria is doing significant damage to the economy and highly unsettling the FOREX market so much that EFCC had to engage BDC operators in Abuja in fisticuffs and armed confrontation.

Why is it difficult for CBN to withdraw all BDC operators licences and restrict all sale and purchase of forex to deposit money banks.

What are the implications, advantages and disadvantages of withdrawing the BDC licences of operators in Nigeria?

Does Olayemi Cardoso own or have vested interest that he is protecting in the BDC business, to the detriment of the country?

2 Likes

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 2:51pm On Feb 21
I said it on the other thread some days ago.
BDC operators should be baned.
It's black market which is illegal in all manner sense.

4 Likes

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by DeLaRue: 2:55pm On Feb 21
There is no need to cancel all BDC licenses if they operate from designated offices and shops where the Cbn can easily monitor them.

The big problem is on-street sale of currency - this should be proscribed.

I am not aware of any other country in the world where up to 50 or more people will loiter on streets casually selling and buying currency.

That said, it is not going to be easy politically to ban mallams selling on the Street. Some of these people have been involved in the business for decades, and that is all they know. Banning them will result in massive political outcry by the North, and the whole policy will be enmeshed in accusation of tribalism.

It's like the government banning importation of certain goods imported predominantly by people from the South East. Accusation of tribalism will fill the air.

Nigeria is very complicated.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 3:34pm On Feb 21
What is happening in Nigeria today has nothing to do with BDC operators. That was how Emefiele accused AbokiFX of everything wrong with Nigeria's FX speculation, suspended their account, and compelled the platform to stop posting exchange rates. What did that change after the nonsensical move?

Thank God I didn't expect anything from Tinubu that's why I never voted for him. In fact, in a serious government, they should talking about unbundling the NNPC to bring in experts so we can rocket our crude oil production and export. If this government was serious, they ought to be inviting local and foreign gas companies to harness our gas reserves. These are core areas we can get massive FX from.

But then, you cannot give what you don't have because Tinubu just recruited his tribesmen to hold sensitive positions in the name of Emilokan and everyone is paying the heavy price now.

1 Like

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Bebigiby1: 3:45pm On Feb 21
BDC is not problem…. What the OP is proposing is foolish as banning BDC will make it worse…. it will be the final nail to Naira free fall… it will exacerbate the situation as surge in dollar scarcity make Naira trade for N5000 to $1…. OP think before you post….

1 Like

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Beautifulday: 4:22pm On Feb 21
Bebigiby1:
BDC is not problem…. What the OP is proposing is foolish as banning BDC will make it worse…. it will be the final nail to Naira free fall… it will exacerbate the situation as surge in dollar scarcity make Naira trade for N5000 to $1…. OP think before you post….

You are wrong. The bank should be the only place to buy and sell dollar

3 Likes

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Bebigiby1: 5:01pm On Feb 21
Banks can’t meet up with Nigeria’s forex demands this is the same hasty action that plummeted the exchange rate to where it is now…. BDC is not the problem these action of arresting will make it worse you will be the same person that will come to criticize the government for failing…

Beautifulday:

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Duru009(m): 5:03pm On Feb 21
That man called Cardoso is totally and FULLY confused.....

What a pity
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by zarathustra(m): 5:29pm On Feb 21
Where do they get those currencies they are selling if I may ask.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Beautifulday: 5:44pm On Feb 21
Bebigiby1:
Banks can’t meet up with Nigeria’s forex demands this is the same hasty action that plummeted the exchange rate to where it is now…. BDC is not the problem these action of arresting will make it worse you will be the same person that will come to criticize the government for failing…

Where do bdc get the dollar them dey sell?
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by SpatialKing(m): 5:47pm On Feb 21
Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis everywhere controlling all the sector of Nigerian economy yet the country is not progressing we keep failing as a Nation

1 Like

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by BrodaBenad: 6:13pm On Feb 21
Beautifulday:

Are you even in Nigeria? cheesy

Which bank gives dollars?

If banks are giving why should we patronising BDC?

Even the western union trick I have been using since they have stopped giving dollars grin angry angry
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Beautifulday: 6:45pm On Feb 21
BrodaBenad:

Even the western union trick I have been using since they have stopped giving dollars grin angry angry

That is what we are saying. They should be taken out of business. Banks should be banned from selling dollars to bdc.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 7:01pm On Feb 21
DeLaRue:
There is no need to cancel all BDC licenses if they operate from designated offices and shops where the Cbn can easily monitor them.

The big problem is on-street sale of currency - this should be proscribed.

I am not aware of any other country in the world where up to 50 or more people will loiter on streets casually selling and buying currency.

That said, it is not going to be easy politically to ban mallams selling on the Street. Some of these people have been involved in the business for decades, and that is all they know. Banning them will result in massive political outcry by the North, and the whole policy will be enmeshed in accusation of tribalism.

It's like the government banning importation of certain goods imported predominantly by people from the South East. Accusation of tribalism will fill the air.

Nigeria is very complicated.

Cardoso will not be the first CBN governor to withdraw the licences of BDC operators.

It doesn't matter the people behind it, it has become a problem that can threaten the whole budget of Nigeria for 2024.

It requires urgent and drastic measures
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 7:04pm On Feb 21
SoNature:
What is happening in Nigeria today has nothing to do with BDC operators. That was how Emefiele accused AbokiFX of everything wrong with Nigeria's FX speculation, suspended their account, and compelled the platform to stop posting exchange rates. What did that change after the nonsensical move?

Thank God I didn't expect anything from Tinubu that's why I never voted for him. In fact, in a serious government, they should talking about unbundling the NNPC to bring in experts so we can rocket our crude oil production and export. If this government was serious, they ought to be inviting local and foreign gas companies to harness our gas reserves. These are core areas we can get massive FX from.

But then, you cannot give what you don't have because Tinubu just recruited his tribesmen to hold sensitive positions in the name of Emilokan and everyone is paying the heavy price now.

Unbundling NNPC is another dimension. If Nigerian wants to increase forex from crude oil exports they can exit OPEC who regulates the quota for each member country.

Angola did same recently
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 7:09pm On Feb 21
Bebigiby1:

Why do you think Deposit Money Banks can't meet the legitimate forex demand in the market?

The government just need to implement some of the laws that can reduce the dollarization of the Nigerian economy.

There are several property rent/lease, property purchase and sale, ticket sale and other local transactions done in forex within Nigeria. These are illegal and often put pressure on demand for forex.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 7:12pm On Feb 21
Bebigiby1:

I disagree with you.

You speculation will only happen if the Deposit Money Banks can't meet the legitimate demands of forex in the market.

Current CBN governor will not be the first and only governor to withdraw the licences of BDC operators.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 7:13pm On Feb 21
Duru009:
That man called Cardoso is totally and FULLY confused.....

What a pity

He know more than you and a lot too.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Wallade(m): 7:17pm On Feb 21
BrodaBenad:

The commercial banks have been in this dirty business with BDCs for years that is why most of them will not sell to you or legitimate buyers then. They would rather sell to BDCs where the banks and some of their owners and management have interests.

Today, commercial banks can meet your forex demands without the input of BDCs. They will do more when the BDCs are eliminated from the market because they will have no choice.

1 Like

Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by BrodaBenad: 7:33pm On Feb 21
Beautifulday:

That is what we are saying. They should be taken out of business. Banks should be banned from selling dollars to bdc.

You're right

Nwanne it has been hard

I don't even keep my money in cash or bank anymore o save my money in goods just like my oga I served years ago advised all of us that is his boys
.if you're into business too I'll advise you to keep your money in goods not cash
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Duru009(m): 7:48pm On Feb 21
Wallade:

He know more than you and a lot too.

Continue fooling yourself because dollar will soon hit #5,000 in your face.....
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 7:59pm On Feb 21
Wallade:

Unbundling NNPC is another dimension. If Nigerian wants to increase forex from crude oil exports they can exit OPEC who regulates the quota for each member country.

Angola did same recently

The funny thing is that Nigeria doesn't even meet her OPEC quota. This country is annoying.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Googledotcom: 8:16pm On Feb 21
Today in GRA Port Harcourt, I saw large patrol team of the Nigerian police arresting all the BDC operators in that axis, they even came with 14 seaters bus to park them.
Re: Does Cardoso (CBN Governor) Have Vested Interest In BDC Operators In Nigeria by Godfullsam(m): 8:29pm On Feb 21
Bebigiby1:

You have just said only nothing because you failed to explain why banning BDC operators will worsen dollars scarcity.

(1) (Reply)

Massive Allocation Of N90 Billion To Akpabio Constituency Raises Concerns / President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Meeting With The State Leaders And Federal Leaders / Occupy Wall Street Goes Global! Nigeria Included

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.