Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,604 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN (4172 Views)

Bandits: We’ll Kill Train Passengers If FG Fails To Meet Our Demands / El-Rufai: We Will Bring In Foreign Mercenaries If FG Fails To End Terrorism / IPOB: We Will Lockdown South-East For One Month If FG Fails To Bring Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by iwaeda: 7:20pm On Feb 22
ABUJA- THE Federation of Agricultural Commodity Associations of Nigeria FACAN, yesterday, warned that if the Federal Government fails to provide adequate security for farmers and their investments food prices will continue to increase.

Speaking with Vanguard in a chat, the Chairman Board of Trustees, BoT, FACAN, Dr Victor Iyama, said the major issue is to guarantee the security of farmers and their property for more food that will lead to affordability, availability and accessibility.

Iyama also pointed out that the issue of releasing grains from the grain reserves is a temporary solution but the government should handle the issue of securing farmers with all seriousness, which had been not given adequate attention by previous governments.

He said: “The temporary measure of releasing grains to cushion high food prices in the first instances, how many people will get to, well it is a good step but we should be talking more about how we can secure our farms and lives and property of our farmers in a situation where we go to farm we will be looking over our shoulders if they are coming or not.

“So it is not just about releasing grains, well, you can release grains maybe it will help a fraction of the society but the main solution like I have always said is by all means the lives and property of farmers must be secured if we are serious about food security that is the only solution and it is not just about fertilizer.

“Like I said in 2023, food security is the security of the lives and property of the farmer, and if you do that you will know that Nigerian farmers cannot only Nigerians but feed the whole of Africa, and it is as simple as that.

“We should not shy away from that because if you cannot protect farmers there cannot be food in the country. For me, we are not getting it. What we have in the silos cannot even satisfy one State. “

However, he said farmers are very bold and are producing food while some are afraid because they do not have that courage to go to the farm, and he maintained that the bottom-line remains securing the lives of farmers and their investment.

“Our people are ready to go to the farm, and are still producing, and that is why there is food in the market but expensive because farmers are not secured, and the bottom-line is to secure farmers because we need to produce more food but the lives of farmers need to be secured”, he added.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/hunger-if-fg-fails-to-secure-farmers-food-prices-ll-remain-high-facan/

7 Likes

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Naijanascam: 8:01pm On Feb 22
No two ways about it

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Dobodobo04: 8:07pm On Feb 22
Currently, we have very few police officers and I think some of them should be used to provide security for farmers in highly affected areas.

However, government should allow farmers high private security if they wish to, and incentivise it.

Also, by now, FG should standardise private security and regulate it, so private industries are issued licences to execute security functions. Police and soldiers that are not well paid enough can switch to private security instead of venturing into crime.

These private security outfits can then be employed by farmers, companies, etc to protect lives and infrastructures.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by smokinloud(m): 8:19pm On Feb 22
This government is not serious about food security kankan. Let them make laws that every law-maker in Nigeria should have, atleast, 10,000 hectares of farmland producing cash crops as a criterion for contesting election and see whether there'll be insecurity sef talkless of food insecurity.
You will always protect your investment with all vigilance. Someone that has never invested in the AGRICULTURAL SECTOR of the country will be vying for Senate presidency. Mumu ppu

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by LaziestYouth: 8:19pm On Feb 22
On point

1 Like

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by NairalandForumo: 8:20pm On Feb 22
So they are now begging Tinubu to do his job

4 Likes

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by free2ryhme: 8:20pm On Feb 22
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by free2ryhme: 8:20pm On Feb 22
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Curious346: 8:22pm On Feb 22
Farmers should carry assault rifle

1 Like

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by lapintoz: 8:25pm On Feb 22
This is 100 💯 per cent correct!

And stop the trailer load of food to Niger and Mali

2 Likes

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Brushstrokes20: 8:25pm On Feb 22
As simple as ABC!
or BEST still... Let farmers bear arms! 💯✅👌
# no damn, doomed bandits has monopoly to violence 💯

1 Like

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by BenuePolitician(m): 8:25pm On Feb 22
In summary Tinubu should protect Benue Farmers and also support/empower the Benue Farmers because Benue state alone has the capacity to feed 20 countries wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by J3susFr3ak: 8:28pm On Feb 22
Dobodobo04:
Currently, we have very few police officers and I think some of them should be used to provide security for farmers in highly affected areas.

However, government should allow farmers high private security if they wish to, and incentivise it.

Also, by now, FG should standardise private security and regulate it, so private industries are issued licences to execute security functions. Police and soldiers that are not well paid enough can switch to private security instead of venturing into crime.

These private security outfits can then be employed by farmers, companies, etc to protect lives and infrastructures.

Good idea. A well armed Regulated Farm Police able to quickly and massively mobilize in a short moment's notice and confront terrorists is a positive step forward.
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by skywalker240(m): 8:29pm On Feb 22
Very insensitive government
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Faiththatworks(m): 8:32pm On Feb 22
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..............
I totally believe all of Nigeria's problem is surmountable only if our leaders have the political will to tackle the problems without trying to be politically correct.
I said it some days ago,the issues of security is not one that will just disappear overnight.
It takes time, planning and ruthless execution to totally reduce the issues of insecurity as it concerns the farmers and the herders.
That's why I lined up and voted for Asiwaju,I know he will be ruthless in addressing the problems confronting Nigeria, this is not the time to pander to emotions.
I use this medium to appeal to Asiwaju to totally resolve this incessant clashes between the farmers and the herders in Nigeria.
My suggestion is for Asiwaju to carve out parcels of land around Nigeria and give out a loan of 50 Billion to the herders to use it as a start up capital to fend for themselves.
This loan can be repaid over a period of 10-20 years like what was done to the rice farmers by the Administration of President Buhari.
I said it some days ago,every year, Government all over Nigeria budget billions to cater for the farmer and always exclude the herders and I believe it's time for Government to include the herder in whatever they budget for Agriculture.
We must get it right now and allow the farmers and herder enjoy the prosperity of the land.
God bless Nigeria...............

2 Likes

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Klington: 8:35pm On Feb 22

Every living thing knows that the unprecedented economic woes facing the country is tied to insecurities, only apc and their brain dæd followers think propaganda is the solution.

1 Like

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by bitbillionaire: 8:41pm On Feb 22
Security companies are actually regulated in Nigeria; only that for now, they are not allowed to use firearm. They are under Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps. Any security company in Nigeria not registered with NSCDC is operating illegally.

Yeah, instead of, or while waiting for state police, the federal government could grant registered security companies permission to train their guards on how to use firearms and they should be allowed to bear arms for a robust security of lives and properties. That is a good alternative to state police.

Dobodobo04:

2 Likes

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Osolo1(m): 8:41pm On Feb 22
That's the number one of the necessary steps the previous governments took with levity ,had they dealt decisively with bandits and Boko Haram, food crisis would not have been one of our major problems. Tackle insecurity headlong and watch the economy grow in multiple folds.

1 Like

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Dobodobo04: 8:46pm On Feb 22
bitbillionaire:
Security companies are actually regulated in Nigeria; only that for now, they are not allowed to use firearm. They are under Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps. Any security company in Nigeria not registered with NSCDC is operating illegally.

Yeah, instead of, or while waiting for state police, the federal government could grant registered security companies permission to train their guards on how to use firearms and they should be allowed to bear arms for a robust security of lives and properties. That is a good alternative to state police.

I prefer state police In conjunction with private security.

State police will improve security in Nigeria overnight.

I’m glad our lawmakers are working on the modularities on how it should function, and hopefully, they come up with robust guidelines, so it’s not abused by state govs against political opponents.
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by bitbillionaire: 8:53pm On Feb 22
You have a point there

Dobodobo04:

I prefer state police In conjunction with private security.

State police will improve security in Nigeria overnight.

I’m glad our lawmakers are working on the modularities on how it should function, and hopefully, they come up with robust guidelines, so it’s not abused by state govs against political opponents.
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by olax02(m): 8:56pm On Feb 22
Kenochi:
Hi
It is now they just wake up from their slumber. Have not heard about this association before. undecided
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Rich4god(m): 8:58pm On Feb 22
That's just it.... secure the farm and see how food price will crash.

More than 50 percent of our rural farmers are not going to farm due to insecurity.
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by israelmao(m): 8:59pm On Feb 22
Most of our political leaders are the biggest beneficiaries of rising insecurity,they create more insecurity in order to justify bogous budget on security instead of tackling it.
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Femich18(m): 9:00pm On Feb 22
Ok
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by soccerlite: 9:20pm On Feb 22
Fact!

Agriculture isn't buying and selling

Insecurity of farmers, lack of road infrastructure, high cost of inputs, natural disaster

I doubt nigeria farming can produce enough food

1 Like

Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by Chummynoni(m): 9:32pm On Feb 22
soccerlite:

Fact!

Agriculture isn't buying and selling

Insecurity of farmers, lack of road infrastructure, high cost of inputs, natural disaster

I doubt nigeria farming can produce enough food
what natural disaster?
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by flokii: 10:51pm On Feb 22
If to say I dey Army, with all the capacity and education I have acquired, I for show babylon people pepper for this country.. If you like offer me 1 billion, as far as I don catch your papa, na die you dey.
Re: Hunger: If FG Fails To Secure Farmers, Food Prices Will Remain High – FACAN by lagosrd: 11:09pm On Feb 22
God bless that union. That's is the real basis of this hike in food prices. Benue state and someone there states that accounts for huge farm produce have been overrun by bandits and normads herders

(1) (2) (Reply)

27th December Declared Public Holiday. / Federal Government Fails To Pay Minimum Wage In December Salary / Is Charly Boy Older Than Tinubu? Controversy Over Tinubu's Age Trends On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.