Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. (193 Views)

Nigerian Airlines Sound Alarm Over ‘Existential Threat’ / Fulani Is Fighting An Existential War With All Ethnicities In Nigeria - Gumi / Osinbajo Reveal Why FG Is Taking About Second Niger Bridge Construction Serious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. by Limassol(m): 7:29am On Feb 25
Below is a satellite imagery of a part of the neighborhood i live in Kaduna state called Trikania.

I was having this random thoughts yesterday and a thought pops up in my head about all the little to midsize American and European towns and villages I do read about on Wikipedia with all their accompanying reliable data and all.

I thought, how about my area, ok a part of it, just a handful of streets, do I know how many people live here?

So I did a quick mental calculation and counting (it's a place I know for long) and boy, I was surprised at my findings, though not exact I believe it's not far from the accurate figures.

What alarms me is In just 6 streets ( the arrows shows the exact six streets) - each street has on average 120 houses, each house has one or more households depending on variables. 120 houses × 6 streets =720 houses.

On average you've got 6 person per house that's 6 ×720 = 4320 PERSON'S.

A mammoth population of 4320 in just SIX streets!

The lack of DATA for this population is where the trouble is. Nobody knows for example:

•the number of unemployed adults living in this area
• How many foreign nationals are living there
• Population structure of the area
• Average income per household
• level of Educational attainment per person

And lot's more of crucial data only God in heaven knows.

What sort of country is this? A country that knows extremely little about its people ( NIN and other nonsense says little) cannot govern effectively.

Edit: it seems I'm having trouble uploading the satellite image, anyone knows how I can get around this issue?

2 Likes

Re: Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. by awuri4: 7:56am On Feb 25
The presidential candidate that downplayed the important of data with " na data we go chop?" Is now the one selected as president. You and I knew the outcome. Without a well established demographic data of the country, how will you know the problems of the country? Let alone tackling them. Nigeria is still joking, when they get serious we will know. The worst days still lies ahead.
Most people thought that by voting for competence, they are doing a particular tribe a favour. Someone used the winkdate to explain to you how he will convert the north to a hub on food producers in the country, you said you are not convinced. Instead you rig someone that never promised you shishi. Dey play!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. by Limassol(m): 7:58am On Feb 25
awuri4:
The presidential candidate that downplayed the important of data with " na data we go chop?" Is now the one selected as president. You and I knew the outcome. [/b]Without a well established demographic data of the country, how will you know the problems of the country? Let alone tackling them.[b] Nigeria is still joking, when they get serious we will know. The worst days still lies ahead.
Most people thought that by voting for competence, they are doing a particular tribe a favour. Someone used the winkdate to explain to you how he will convert the north to a hub on food producers in the country, you said you are not convinced. Instead you rig someone that never promised you shishi. Dey play!!!

Increase the volume bro. I totally agree with you on this. Data is super important but our leaders seem to not care.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. by MMempire(m): 8:35am On Feb 25
Louder!
Re: Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. by KelGraphicz(m): 8:40am On Feb 25
I have been thinking of that actually , I feel overpopulation is the main cause of increasing hardship in Nigeria. The government should try to get accurate data of the population and invest more in rural development. Countries with big population always face bigger problem , you can see how china is trying it's best to fend for it's huge population.
Re: Lack of population data is an existential problem no one is taking about. by NOGRUDGES(m): 9:01am On Feb 25
Take a screenshot shot then upload, works most of the time

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fish Out His Killers," Ekwunife Tasks Police Over Murder Of Anambra PG / My Experience With A Market Woman Today! / Wole Soyinka Mad At Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.