Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,237 members, 7,836,138 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Christians Fleeing Northwest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christians Fleeing Northwest (1247 Views)

DHQ: Military Captures Arms Caches Abandoned By Fleeing Boko Haram / Fleeing Boko Haram Members Do Menial Jobs To Stay Under Cover – Omeri / Northwest Flight 253 Leg-bomber Is Son Of Dr.umaru Abdul Muttalab, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Fleeing Northwest by manchy7531: 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has disclosed that many Christians and non-natives in Yobe State, especially those in Damaturu, the state capital, are fleeing to their native states for safety.

The state’s CAN Chairman, Rev. Garba Idi told journalists that officials and various community leaders in the meeting were uncomfortable with the security arrangements as no soldier or police was sighted around the Jerusalem area where most non-natives in the state capital reside.
Rev. Idi, however, called on Christians for calm as CAN was putting heads together with other concerned bodies to address the situation.

Rev. Idi said the state government had not taken any concrete steps for now as individuals were bearing the responsibility of evacuating corpses of their loved ones to their home towns for burial.

He expressed shock at the unfortunate event and wondered what could have angered those who decided to carry out the attacks in the state which had been considered as safe haven in the country.

He appealed to all and sundry to see themselves as one and find other ways of resolving grievances instead of taking actions leading to the death of innocent souls. He urged the Boko Haram sect to reconsider their actions for the sake of innocent Nigerians.

The National President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) , Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor also said that CAN would not wait until all its members in the North are killed before confronting the menace.

According to him, in New Jerusalem area of Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, no fewer than six churches were torched by suspected Boko Haram members in a bombing that also affected a police station.

He said that four people were killed by co-ordinated Fedayeen attacks; one at a college in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, while Mujahideen gunmen attacked a church in Kaduna, shooting two female worshippers to death.

“The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), is calling on the Federal Government to demonstrate the political will to deal decisively with the increasing wave of terrorism in the country. Reports reaching me from different parts of the North have shown that several innocent lives have again been sent to their early graves and property worth millions of naira has either been torched or vandalised in another orgy of religious violence,” Oritsejafor said.

“We just cannot continue to put our wrong foot forward all the time and expect investors to come and invest their money in an unsafe environment,” Oritsejefor said, urging the government to take action.

To the governments and people of the three states, Oritsejafor offered condolences while appealing for restraint, saying that CAN will, in due course, come up with a position after an emergency meeting soon.

He also commiserated with the leadership of the Nigeria Police and other security agencies that lost personnel and property in the latest spate of violence, reiterating his call for proactive measures by the security outfits to tackle the menace of terrorism in the country.

Meanwhile, the national president of Tarraya Ekklisiyoyi Kristi A Nigeria (TEKAN), Reverend Emmanuel Dziggau on Monday read what appeared to be the Riot Act to those killing and maiming Christians in the North and destroying their properties, saying “enough is enough.”

Reverend Dziggau also said in a press statement made available to newsmen in Kaduna that they would no longer accept the sweet talks of both the federal and the concerned state governments without any measurable political will to kill the virus that is capable of tearing the country apart.

The TEKAN, meaning Fellowship of Churches of Christ in Nigeria in Hausa, president also said that in view of the threat posed to the corporate existence of the country by the recent activities of the Boko Haram group, Nigerians should come together and review the possibility of remaining together as one country.

While calling on its members to remain calm and prayerful, the clergyman said that TEKAN would no longer tolerate any further killing of its members and the destruction of churches and their properties by those he termed agents of murder and destruction.

The statement reads: “The Tarraya Ekklisiyoyi Kristi A Nigeria; (Fellowship of Churches of Christ in Nigeria- TEKAN) has observed with deep concern the devilish activities of the dreaded Islamic sect called “Boko Haram” whose activities are gearing towards total elimination of Christians and Christianity in the northern part of this country, being the reason for incessant attack and killings of innocent law-abiding Christians in the North, particularly Christians of TEKAN family.

“Therefore, the TEKAN wishes to condemn the continuous killings of our members and other Christians in the North, especially North-East region. TEKAN may no longer accept the smooth talk show by both the respective states and federal government without any measurable political will to treat this evil virus that’s capable of tearing this country apart.

“TEKAN is calling on well-meaning Nigerians ahead of 2014 when Nigeria will be 100 years of her amalgamation to decide the possibility of our remaining together in the face of the Boko Haram activities that are no longer acceptable to many peace-loving Nigerians.

“TEKAN may no longer tolerate any further killings of her members and destruction of churches, properties by any agent of murder and destruction. TEKAN is calling on her members to remain calm and prayerful.

“We will follow events and whatever needs to be done will be done in coordination with the heavenly host under the captainship of our lord Jesus Christ. Christians may appear docile but when the time comes, even docile people may stand up like a mighty rock. Enough is enough.”

Meanwhile, the Yobe State branch of CAN has called on President Goodluck Jonathan and Governor Ibrahim Geidam to work towards restoring normalcy to the state and ensure the protection of life and property of citizens, particularly of those who came to earn a living in the state.

The group said thousands of non-indigenes were relocating from the state to where they could be accommodated and accepted as Nigerians.

The state chairman of CAN, Reverend Garba Idi, said this in an interview with the Nigerian Tribune in Damaturu, Yobe State capital.

According to him, since the crisis began, particularly in Jerusalem ward which is dominated by Christians and non-indigenes, many of them had chosen to leave the state.

The CAN chairman said 10 churches, 11 vehicles, seven motorcycles and one bicycle were burnt during the attack.

“So many Christians were killed and as I am talking to you now, some people are still calling us to say that they discovered the bodies of some of their missing relatives who were killed in the bush. We are not too comfortable with the security arrangements here,” he said.

Also speaking, Mr Tony Ogah, a businessman in Damaturu, said he had been nursing the idea to leave the state because of so many issues which have to do with his faith as a Christian, adding that the crises in Yobe left him with no option but to leave and settle somewhere else.

While narrating her ordeal, Mrs Patriash Okoli said when the people came, “they shouted Arne, Yanmiri, shege and they started shooting and burning, and before the police could come, they had killed so many people. I don’t know how I survived, but my friends were killed before my eyes. I was running into the bush on Bukar Abba University road and somehow I escaped.”
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by manchy7531: 6:26pm On Nov 11, 2011
let them come down south we shall accept them.we Christians are our bothers keeper.but, they must obey the laws of the land
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 10:22pm On Nov 11, 2011
manchy7531:

let them come down south we shall accept them.we Christians are our bothers keeper.but, they must obey the laws of the land
Come down which south? I am not a brothers keeper to any northern Christain. If Boko haram want to wipe out all Northern Christains i wish them the best of Luck, nonsense
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by Yeske2(m): 7:01am On Nov 12, 2011
Wily!Wily:

Come down which south? I am not a brothers keeper to any northern Christain. If Boko haram want to wipe out all Northern Christains i wish them the best of Luck, nonsense
That was too hard.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by BootyOnMe: 7:42am On Nov 12, 2011
Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat!
Let them gerrrrrrout of there.
Let me see what Boko Haram will attack next.
ShiooooYOOOOOOR!!!

As dem don dey run for dia lyf. . .we shall receive them socio-economic prodigals. . . .
I will not pity them if they continue to live in those areas where they choose to be used as sacrificial lambs!
Charity begins 'FROM' home. Time to build your own home state before roaming around the North! kiss
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 1:04pm On Nov 13, 2011
Yeske!:

That was too hard.
How?
To be sincere, if Boko Haram can concentrate at killing only Northern Christains, i will warmly congratulate them for a job well done.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by ibide(m): 1:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
It onlly a bastard that wil run 4rm his father house let them go & ask what we the udu people of delta state did to the izon of okotomu & gbaigolo in 1996 eve if the muslem ar mejority let them gather money to buy atomic bomb to kill of them
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 4:03pm On Nov 13, 2011
Wily!Wily:

How?
To be sincere, if Boko Haram can concentrate at killing only Northern Christains, i will warmly congratulate them for a job well done.
what has the christian northerner done to u? U have too much hate in u and it aint good for u. Lol at this rate, u'd end up death and the christian northerners will live and survive as we always do. wink
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 4:08pm On Nov 13, 2011
the christian northerners aren't coming down south. If anything they'd simply come to christian dominated middle belt states like plateau, benue. So dont worry, no one is interested in coming to ur land. wink
Wily!Wily:

Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by dayokanu(m): 4:50pm On Nov 13, 2011
Is Yobe in the Northwest?
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by kabba7(m): 5:13pm On Nov 13, 2011
What really is the issue,did the ibos in their imagination dream of capturing the north? Why not put more effort in their brake Nigeria {ala 1966}up effort.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 13, 2011
Wily!Wily:

How?
what's your beaf with northern christians?
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 5:50pm On Nov 13, 2011
dayokanu:

Is Yobe in the Northwest?
yobe is in the northeast as is borno
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by idupaul: 8:41pm On Nov 13, 2011
@ willywilly::: I never knew U were a total fool!!!!
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 9:11pm On Nov 13, 2011
emmke:

what has the christian northerner done to u? U have too much hate in u and it aint good for u. Lol at this rate, u'd end up death and the christian northerners will live and survive as we always do.  wink
Yes you will live and survive. But my happiness is, Boko Haram is doing a great good work, if the can focus on eliminating only Northern Christains i will congratulate them for a job well done
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 9:14pm On Nov 13, 2011
idupaul:

@ willywilly::: I never knew U were a total fool!!!!
@idupaul::::I knew u are a Kackroach
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by ayusman16(m): 9:16pm On Nov 13, 2011
Wily!Wily:

@idupaul::::I knew u are a Kackroach

They will wipe out ur useless poverty-stricken family first.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 9:19pm On Nov 13, 2011
ayusman16:

They will wipe out your useless poverty-stricken family first.
hahahaaaa, poverty? i dey laugh
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by sheyguy: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2011
Wily!Wily:

Yes you will live and survive. But my happiness is, Boko Haram is doing a great good work, if the can focus on eliminating only Northern Christains i will congratulate them for a job well done

Wily Wily abeg weting christians for north do you na let us in pls !!!
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by Obiagu1(m): 9:27pm On Nov 13, 2011
Wily!Wily:

That will be too mean to reject them. If Nigeria split today to North and South and Northern Christians felt that the North is unbearable for them and move down South, believe me the South won't shut the doors on them.

They have suffered alongside Southern Christians in the North and have fought together with Southern Christians. Forget about their ignorance that led them join the war against Biafra in 1967, so many people then were illiterates and did not know what was going on.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 9:44pm On Nov 13, 2011
@wilywily really u aren't much of a smart person. The other day, an igbo girl showed me the picture of another igbo gal (very very beautiful gal), her friend, she was killed in the recent boko haram bombing. I felt like crying, seriously cos the gal was just so pretty. U see wilywily, its not only northern christians that are dying. Northern and southern christians, northern and southern muslims, atheists, everyone. However, no matter what, we aren't interested in coming to ur land, so chillax. wink
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
careytommy:

what's your beaf with northern christians?
They willingly invited, defended and eat with the Devil, sooooo they must stay and face the Devil. May Katampult fire out their eye one by one like that of Olu Falae
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 9:56pm On Nov 13, 2011
emmke:

@wilywily really u aren't much of a smart person. The other day, an igbo girl showed me the picture of another igbo gal (very very beautiful gal), her friend, she was killed in the recent boko haram bombing. I felt like crying, seriously cos the gal was just so pretty. U see wilywily, its not only northern christians that are dying. Northern and southern christians, northern and southern muslims, atheists, everyone. However, no matter what, we aren't interested in coming to your land, so chillax.  wink
That is why i said, i will congratulate Boko Haram if the can Concentrate in Killing only Northern Christains.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 10:02pm On Nov 13, 2011
^but they are not. Huhuhuhu. Ok keep hating. Huhuhu. good for your health (vitamin hating, essential for synthesis of some important neurotransmitters) . Hahahà
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by WilyiWily: 10:09pm On Nov 13, 2011
emmke:

@wilywily  However, no matter what, we aren't interested in coming to your land, so chillax.  wink
You already knew what will happen to your people if they ever venture into our land,  i will organize and eliminate them one by one at night
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 10:13pm On Nov 13, 2011
^man this is free fun, lol. Do u know how beautiful my land is? Why will i throw that away? Even ur brothers are still living there. Those that can afford to live any where in naija. The mikel family are still there just so u know. Man, my land is more than worth dying for. Plateau the beautiful wink
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by asha80(m): 10:16pm On Nov 13, 2011
emmke:

^man this is free fun, lol. Do u know how beautiful my land is? Why will i throw that away? Even your brothers are still living there. Those that can afford to live any where in naija. The mikel family are still there just so u know. Man, my land is more than worth dying for. Plateau the beautiful wink

wilywily is not igbo
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2011
ok asha. Thanks. The guy just hate us. And we are living in peace with southerners (igbos, yorubas, niger deltans) here. So suprising.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by asha80(m): 10:34pm On Nov 13, 2011
emmke:

ok asha. Thanks. The guy just hate us. And we are living in peace with southerners (igbos, yorubas, niger deltans) here. So suprising.

he is ibibio and seems to have issues with hausa,fulani and yoruba people.i think he does not distinguish hausa and middle belt.to him they are the same.you can guess if you have seen his comments on yakubu gowon.
Re: Christians Fleeing Northwest by emmke(m): 10:44pm On Nov 13, 2011
^ok. He's ibibio. That's either akwa ibom or cross rivers. Hmmm cross rivers is cool and they've got fine babes. Wilywily dash me one of ur sister now. Am really a nice guy, just like my people. If u get to know us.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Member Arrested In Ali Modu Sheriff's House - Sen Zanna / President Goodluck Jonathan Marks His 55th Birthday Today / We Have Seen How Active T.A ORJI Is These Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.