Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:09 AM

Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? (2207 Views)

What Is The Use Of Fasting,when God still Answer prayers with Full Stomach? / Why Doesn't God Answer Mankind Like Earthly Fathers / "Why Doesn't God Heal Amputees?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 11, 2011
It's a norm here in Nigeria to be told to go & pray whenever one has trying times. Funny enuf,d prayer often achieves 1 thing-NOTHING,but yet they say "keep on praying,d answer will come,God's time is d best".I wonda why d answer has 2 come at God's time.for heaven's sake am d one wif d problem,isn't d answer s'posd to come at ma time? Or is it when d moss has started to grow on ma eyelids n weeds on ma beard dat God wud answer?i mean me's been praying for yrs n av got nofin.av neva even seen a case of answer to a prayer involving a distinct problem.am beginning 2 bliv dat deism might b rite afterall:God made d universe but has left it run according 2 d laws of d nature n does not in anyway interfare wif it.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by ahmed7861: 6:48pm On Nov 11, 2011
God must listen to if you ask to him about anything with full devotion and intention.It is very common thing.I have many time good experienced.This thing has been mention in Quran as well.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by manmustwac(m): 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
Try fasting increase your tithes in church and plant seeds. Speak in tongues (for three hours at a time) and if none of those things work try a different strategy like becoming an atheist or a freethinker
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by dalebutt1: 7:57pm On Nov 11, 2011
well OP am in the same situation here, me and my wife have been trusting God for something now been over a year. and they kept saying fast and pray well i stopped fasting and i stopped praying because i am just tired, i just wake up in the morning sometimes and say thank you jesus, am just waiting to see what will eventually happen, mum just called today again sayin my wife gona have to fast for 21 days I quickly draw her attention to the thread i read on here last night and i said mum there is no way she is doing that, Its really taking its toll on my wife, I have to remind my mum so many things pastors have said that never come to pass I said well as much as we are on the same boat and I respect her but there is no way she is doing 21 days fasting. albeit not dry fasting but I still dont want it.

I believe God answering prayers doesnt have to do with us having to kill ourselves before the prayer actually got answered. God has blessed us in so many other ways given the fact that we are young and everything. I wish i could speak to God one on one and ask why these prayers havent been answered it weakens the trust I have in him.

I know its easy for people to say yes trust God because they do not actually feel first hand what you feel but its so painful when you have the complete fear of God and this doesnt even change, I told my wife am not gona trust this God again but the fear just stroke like what if the world were to end tomorrow where would you be, well I think that says it then I have to keep trusting
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 11, 2011
@dalebutt1, u'r not alone.am surrounded wif several pple wif d same problem.even prayer warriors n fasting machines are seeking other alternatives these days.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by dalebutt1: 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2011
Well am just gona accept things as it comes now, am not looking for a quick fix simply because i have prayed to God. but it just hurts me that when you love someone so much he cant even just answer important prayers, we he says we should trust him and wait for his time. I have prayed for him to even seize life from me atleast i can be with him in heaven he wouldnt do that aswel. I guess am gona try and sort things out in my own way then but it doesnt just glorify him, situations continue to push people out of his ways
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by cashmentor(m): 9:22pm On Nov 11, 2011
There're somethings in life that dosen't require your prayers and fasting, Just go after wat u want by faith, with d word of God as your sword, God will not answer prayers for which he already gave u anwsers to! Don't just run to God wen ever u need help, make his word you companion day and night so much that your heart begins 2 burn wit anger, confidence and power unknown 2 u, He said - Take my yoke upon you and LEARN of me; for i am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your soul! Read your Bible, read Good christian books by anointed men of God who has taken time out 2 EAT the word of God, that is LEARNING and breaking down of his word 2 ur own understanding, If u study d life of Paul, he never realy prayd much, but he became d greatest Apostle of all, wat was his secret? He fasted and dinned wit wisdom, knownledge and vital information from d Bible that wen ever he found himself in need or problem, all he needed 2 do was just SPEAK THE WORD, "thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" - psalm 119:105
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by chowbaby: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
@OP what exactly would it look like if your prayers were answered. Would it be like a wishing well, you say a prayer and like magic you get what you want? Is this how prayers work? How do you know that your prayers have not been answered, but possibly in a way that is not what you were hoping for?
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Kxy(m): 12:07am On Nov 12, 2011
Your faith determines God's response.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Nobody: 12:24am On Nov 12, 2011
@chowbaby,Wat did it luk lik wen jesus prayed?wat did it look lik wen d apostles prayd?wat did it luk lik wen elijah,elisha,moses n all 'em old testament seers prayd? Hw do i knw ma prayers ain't answerd,u ask? Simple:I DIDN'T GET WAT I ASKD FOR.Look,for yrs i was deeply immersd in religion,i had faith lik a sea of mustard seeds.dedicatd ma whole life 2 god,almost delved into ascetism.and yet wen i brot ma requests b4 ma suposd heavnly father wif bitter tears n great faith,i got silence as ma answer.i rily wonda,why would god who's paintd as d perfect epitome of al datz gud not answer d cries of his children(rily sad).i won't need 2 pray n ask so much 4 ma earthly father 2 grant ma requests.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by chowbaby: 12:28am On Nov 12, 2011
^^^Well at least you have started to think now that something must be wrong with the bible and its claims. Nothing can be proven, nothing verified. Prayer is useless. Just live your life. If you want something work for it or try your best to achieve it. If you cannot, just accept it. There is no magic solution. It is good that you have come to this conclusion, it will save you from future disappointment.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Nobody: 12:40am On Nov 12, 2011
Beretta92:

.and yet wen i brot ma requests b4 ma suposd heavnly father wif bitter tears n great faith,i got silence as ma answer.i rily wonda,why would god who's paintd as d perfect epitome of al datz gud not answer d cries of his children(rily sad).i won't need 2 pray n ask so much 4 ma earthly father 2 grant ma requests.

When you called on him, there was nobody on the other end of the line. The line has always been a one way street because the person that's supposed to be there on the other end has always been imaginary.
Sorry. If all the prayers in the world can't move him to feed a starving kid, he must be evil or non existent. Pick one.

Take this advice.
chowbaby:

If you want something work for it or try your best to achieve it. If you cannot, just accept it.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Haribo: 12:56am On Nov 12, 2011
chowbaby:

^^^Well at least you have started to think now that something must be wrong with the bible and its claims. Nothing can be proven, nothing verified. Prayer is useless. Just live your life. If you want something work for it or try your best to achieve it. If you cannot, just accept it. There is no magic solution. It is good that you have come to this conclusion, it will save you from future disappointment.

@ Chowbaby you've said it all!!
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Nobody: 1:21am On Nov 12, 2011
If you are not born again and seek the face of God , your first request should be repentance from Sin.

"If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination." - Proverbs 28:9

While God does sometimes answer the prayers of rebels for mercy sake and to lead them to repentance, he is not obliged to.

If you are born again, then you should examine yourself and see if you are still in the faith , because , harsh as it may sound, the bible explicitly mentions that the prayer of a sinner who refuses to repent is an abomination to God.

Another thing is, who do you love more , the gift or the giver and what do you want to use this gift for , if it is a child ,well, God is able. Confess your sins, repent of them, turn to God with child-like humility , do not listen to these atheist blind souls, hold on to faith and he will answer you.

Ponder on the following verses :

"For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise."- Hebrews 10:36 

Have you done God's will, or are you elevating your will above God's.

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?You want what you don't have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can't get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it.And even when you ask, you don't get it because your motives are all wrong--you want only what will give you pleasure." - James 4:1-3

Ask yourself the question , why do you want this thing so badly ?

1 Kings 3:11 - 13 "So God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice,I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be.And I will also give you what you did not ask for--riches and fame! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life!" - 1 Kings"

Solomon was asked my God to choose a thing, he totally ignored riches and status and asked for wisdom in his dream. This thing pleased God and Solomon got more than wisdom , he also received riches and honour

If it is a child, remember Sarai, though she had no child, she faithfully followed the Lord and eventually God blessed her with Isaac through whom we received the promise of the saviour.

Remember Hannah who wept before the Lord and was blessed with Samuel and other children.

With God all things are possible, but remember to seek his kingdom first and all these things will be added to you.

Other bits and pieces, remove bitterness from your heart, remove gossip, slander, hatred etc etc .

Also long prayers are not the answer.

In the past , I made long repetitive prayers , but God is not pleased with these. Learn to listen to the voice of God.

Funny enough I prayed for a few things I wanted so badly , asking for God's will even though I wanted my will. Well I did not get what I wanted , forgot about it and shockingly a few months later something 1000 times better came to me as a blessing from GOD.

He is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all that you ask or think.

Again do not listen to these atheists.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by chrisj2000(m): 2:58am On Nov 12, 2011
pray till your prayer is answered
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by God2man(m): 6:11am On Nov 12, 2011
This is strange. Why are we lamenting that God does not answer prayers? Prayer is a two way communication. It is called the royal telephone. You speak to God, he speaks back to you. Yes, God has been talking you, may be in your dream or through other means, try to listen to his gentle voice. If your way is right and you pray the right prayer concerning your problem, he will give you a clue. The truth is, God may decide to be silence in some cases, he may want to know, whether you really trust him, he may delay the answers for some reasons best known to him. God is sovereign, he may be alerting you on some bad things you are doing, that is witholding his hand. @op, check your life, then be patient, continue to ask him, there is power in constistency. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by God2man(m): 6:15am On Nov 12, 2011
This is strange. Why are we lamenting that God does not answer prayers? Prayer is a two way communication. It is called the royal telephone. You speak to God, he speaks back to you. Yes, God has been talking you, may be in your dream or through other means, try to listen to his gentle voice. If your way is right and you pray the right prayer concerning your problem, he will give you a clue. The truth is, God may decide to be silence in some cases, he may want to know, whether you really trust him, he may delay the answers for some reasons best known to him. God is sovereign, he may be alerting you on some bad things you are doing, that is witholding his hand. @op, check your life, then be patient, continue to ask him, there is power in constistency. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by plaetton: 6:27am On Nov 12, 2011
Just like martian said, have you ever considered that you might have been dialing the wrong number or that not one is home to take your call all along?

grin

The source of all human suffering is the agony of unfullfilled desires
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by chrisj2000(m): 7:19am On Nov 12, 2011
keep praying
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by God2man(m): 7:56am On Nov 12, 2011
This is strange. Why are we lamenting that God does not answer prayer. Prayer is a two communication. It is called the ROYAL TELEPHONE. You talk to God, God sent a reply. It depends on the way God answers prayer. God is sovereign. He may say , yes, capital no, or wait. He has promised to answer, but a good father will not give his children what will kill him. God might have been speaking to you, through dreams or other means, if only you care to listen to his gentle voice. Then check your life, is your request in line with his will? Are you doing something that is making God to withold his hand. Continue to ask God, there is power in constistency, read Luke 18, that widow kept on asking, until the man answer her request. When it comes to prayer, you can be sure God will answer, in his own time. I am a living witness to this, even till now. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by dalebutt1: 9:27am On Nov 12, 2011
Well as much as we shall carry on discussing this God existence, the truth is He lives and lives forever more. But I wonder when God speaks through his servants and the sometimes say the same thing without knowing eachother but the opposite happens, has chrisj2000 have said it is tough to give up this childhood belief, I was so frustrated at my mum yesterday, I said to her, mum am not into all this fasting and praying anymore, If my heavenly father wont answer my prayers so be it, no grudges at all,  no ill feeling either, am not gona get worked out because i prayed and they have not been answered afterall he didnt promise a trouble free life but it hurts  when you know you have a father that has so much power and glory and he wouldnt even answer to your request. it weakens someones faith no matter how strong a believer you are.

One thing is, I have stopped to ask for things from God hence no dissapointment and hopes for a quick fix to my situation, I pray he helps me live as faultless as possible but me, am done asking for things that I would never  probably get an answer for.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by Joagbaje(m): 9:31am On Nov 12, 2011
@op

My prayers get answered. If you don't get answers, then check the kinds of prayer you make.

1 John 5:14-15
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by dalebutt1: 9:40am On Nov 12, 2011
@ Joagbaje, I am not gona discredit your comment  but I tell you, I might be younger than you are and the chances are that i am, You probably have not gone 1/3 of what have been through, fews years back i remember i used to talk like this: I have a key to God, there is a way i pray that he answers me. My brother its complete BS, when you see serious challenges in your life then you will know God is not the type that answers prrayer according to your will but as to His will and satisfaction. Brother I dont want to say anything against Alpha please dont get me going on.

I got frustrated I had to ask him to atleast put me to rest he wouldnt even anwer that one aswel
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by mazaje(m): 11:22am On Nov 12, 2011
If there is anything that provides good evidence to show that Gods do not exist, its prayers. . . .There is absolutely NO evidence what so ever to show that those that pray have their wishes and request granted than those that do not pray. . . .I am surrounded by believers quite a lot of the time depending on my location since i travel a lot. . . . I have been around very sincere christians, muslims, hindus etc. . . .I have seen a VERY sincere christian that prayed for over one hour before he embarked on a journey, but ended up having an accident that has left him paralysed and unable to walk till this day. . . . .People keep coming up with all sorts of excuses like God is testing him and he should remember Job in the bible and all sort of nonsense just to justify belief, but the thing is, how does the accident help him as a person? how does losing his ability to walk, have s[i]e[/i]x with his wife, being a good father and providing for his family help his life or spiritual growth in any way?. . . .very many christians that pray to God for protection have found themselves in his shoes with no answered prayers. . . .No evidence to show that christians or muslims that pray are better protected from harm and misfortune than atheist for example, harm and misfortune affect us all. . . .

Just look around you and you will see that a lot of very sincere christians suffer all forms of misfortune from loosing their jobs, to ill health, to family break down, to general disasters and misfortune ALL the time just like every body else and no evidence to show that they recover faster from it as a result of prayers better than other groups. . . .A look at Nigeria says that there is NO God that answers any prayers, Nigerians are the people that pray the most as far as I know and yet the country remains a cesspool in all aspects and facets. . . .Prayers only offers hope and some kind of internal peace because you believe some one has heard and is seeing what you are going through, but in reality its useless. . . .Try your best to do what you can to see that you get what you want and ALWAYS know that you can't have all what you want, you win some and you lose some. . . .That's the way life is. . .
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by thehomer: 11:30am On Nov 12, 2011
dalebutt1:

Well as much as we shall carry on discussing this God existence, the truth is He lives and lives forever more. But I wonder when God speaks through his servants and the sometimes say the same thing without knowing eachother but the opposite happens, has chrisj2000 have said it is tough to give up this childhood belief, I was so frustrated at my mum yesterday, I said to her, mum am not into all this fasting and praying anymore, If my heavenly father wont answer my prayers so be it, no grudges at all,  no ill feeling either, am not gona get worked out because i prayed and they have not been answered afterall he didnt promise a trouble free life but it hurts  when you know you have a father that has so much power and glory and he wouldnt even answer to your request. it weakens someones faith no matter how strong a believer you are.

One thing is, I have stopped to ask for things from God hence no dissapointment and hopes for a quick fix to my situation, I pray he helps me live as faultless as possible but me, am done asking for things that I would never  probably get an answer for.

And would a real father do this to you? Would a father who can do anything and who sees your problems still stay silent and do nothing?

I hope you realize that your present attitude of not making requests from God is probably because you suspect that nothing will come out of such supplication.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by thehomer: 11:32am On Nov 12, 2011
God2man:

You've been hearing God speaking to you? Hmm interesting.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by dalebutt1: 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2011
@ Theomar, You know God is not human and he doesnt reason the way we do. But seriously am only staying strong I wish there was a situation when there were no promised implications for not trusting to believe and follow him, I would simply just forget it. Whenever my wife gets a break from work i always make sure i dont make any business plans towards that time, we would have had nice Holiday vacation planned already, then they will just call up and say its prayer time we need camping and thats so frustrating. I love God because I was raised by devoted xtian parents but they too have had challenges that i know of and its be going on for like 12 years and they would always rebuke me for not trusting enough. well I guess it isnt free afterall because now I wish i was alone and i never had to rely on God for problem solving but you just think about the consequencies and you need to carry on trusting .

Does anyone knows if its a Sin not to have faith in him albeit you try to live as holy as you possibly can. Can not having faith in him be regarded as a sin?
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by thehomer: 3:22pm On Nov 12, 2011
dalebutt1:

@ Theomar, You know God is not human and he doesnt reason the way we do. But seriously am only staying strong I wish there was a situation when there were no promised  implications for not trusting to believe and follow him, I would simply just forget it. Whenever my wife gets a break from work i always make sure i dont make any business plans towards that time, we would have had nice Holiday vacation planned already,  then they will just call up and say its prayer time we need camping and thats so frustrating. I love God because I was raised by devoted xtian parents but they too have had challenges that i know of and its be going on for like 12 years and they would always rebuke me for not trusting enough. well I guess it isnt free afterall because now I wish i was alone and i never had to rely on God for problem solving but you just think about the consequencies and you need to carry on trusting .

Does anyone knows if its a Sin not to have faith in him albeit you try to live as holy as you possibly can. Can not having faith in him be regarded as a sin?

Actually, you don't rely on God for problem solving, you simply work out your problems on your own. Also, people do live good lives without believing in a God. Trying to gamble on believing in God is what is known as Pascal's wager. What you need to realize is that out of the thousands of Gods out there, how do you know you have the right one? Also, do you worry about what will happen to you in the Muslim hell? How about the Egyptian hell or the Greek hell?
Such fear that religions have placed in people needs to be abandoned. People that rebuke you for not trusting enough, why don't they trust as much as they wish then observe and see if they are actually better off.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by chrisj2000(m): 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2011
pray more
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by mantraa: 4:57pm On Nov 12, 2011
Watch this short video about a young african boy named Owiti who prayed to god because he was dying of starvation, then you might understand why god has not found time to answer your prayers.

God's priorities
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKkfBKLApY
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by God2man(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2011
Ha! @mazaje, chrisjOO1, the homer, i do not like talking too much on the reality of God or how God answer prayers, all i know is that, you will be a happy man, if you can just put aside all criticism and investigate objectively, go to places, where people share testimonies and see with your eyes wide open, the reality about the existence of the almighty God. It will be a great blessing for you, if you can do this. I beg you, do not sit down at home, attend those places, where people claim God exists or where miracles happen, do not be a nairalander atheists, which do not exist any way. Myriad of people on the face of earth today are calling on God, on things that are beyond them, they believed that human beings are limited, we are prone to errors, we often make mistakes, it is only God, who can see us through in this turbulent world, so if i have a supreme being, who has promised to assist me to release the burden on mind, is it not better to call on him for help? Think, think and think again, i think it is logical to leave like this. So, if you have a problem, that is totally beyond you, you just sit down and say that is the way it should be, whereas there is a way out of that predicament, if you can just seek and investigate properly. God bless you all. God2man.
Re: Why Doesn't God Ever Answer Prayers? by chrisj2000(m): 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2011
people do have testominies of answered prayers

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Scriptural Is The Phenomenon Of Spiritual Fathers And Sons? / GOD Defiling LOGIC (trinity Debate) / All The Prophets From Adam To Muhammad Were Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.