Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension (9912 Views)

How Do I Retrieve My Pension From My Previous Employer / My Pension Has Not Been Remitted For 4 Years, Any Legal Step I Could Take? / HELP!! My Former Company Has Refused To Pay My Dismissal Benefits. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Queengee: 8:55am On Feb 27
I opted for 25percent of my Pension remittance, all documents successful and now the only thing hindering the payment is my former company I worked with because they refused to acknowledge the letter my pension sent to them for confirmation before proceeding to pay me on ground that I didn't resign properly.

truly when I left the company 3years ago I don't submit any resignation letter. I left without giving any notice because I was tired of the job. so is there any legal means I go about this because those HRs can be very wicked when you need them

7 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by VeryWickedMan: 8:59am On Feb 27
Queengee:
I opted for 25percent of my Pension remittance, all documents successful and now the only thing hindering the payment is my former company I worked with because they refused to acknowledge the letter my pension sent to them for confirmation before proceeding to pay me on ground that I didn't resign properly.

truly when I left the company 3years ago I don't submit any resignation letter. I left without giving any notice because I was tired of the job. so is there any legal means I go about this because those HRs can be very wicked when you need them

Pride goeth before a fall.
They will embarrass you & drag you through mud for that pittance.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Queengee: 9:08am On Feb 27
VeryWickedMan:

Pride goeth before a fall.
They will embarrass you & drag you through mud for that pittance.

really so what's the way forward

2 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Jogs1900: 9:22am On Feb 27
Queengee:

really so what's the way forward
You have to go to the company and sort yourself out for your good so that it won't look as if you absconded.

23 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Jewessgratitud3: 1:09pm On Feb 27
Was it part of the terms and conditions of the pension scheme agreement form that if you don't give notice before leaving you'll not collect your pension?

Is pension scheme not run by a separate body? So why would they refuse to sign your payment? Take them to court abeg.

You sef, you for just give them their letter jeje especially if they gave you appointment letter when they gave you the job.

Sha make sure you collect your money.

11 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Botragelad: 1:11pm On Feb 27
Hmm
You're in a right pickle. You should have handed in your resignation letter when you left the company three years ago. That's like the proper way to quit a job. Now they're giving you grief over your pension remittance.

The problem is for you to have access to the pension, you need to provide proof of your employment and termination to your Pension Fund Administrator (PFA).
Well, If your former employer refuses to acknowledge your letter, you can try to get a court order or an affidavit to confirm your employment status or lodge a complaint with whatever pension commission you have in Nigeria. They might be able to help you sort out this mess.

But honestly, you should have been more careful when you left the company. You can't just leave without giving any notice. You might have burned some bridges with your former boss and colleagues. Matter of fact there's a probability that they will not be willing to help you now. Endeavor to leave people in good terms, you never know when you might need them again, exactly what's happening.

14 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by santaclaws: 1:11pm On Feb 27
Talk to a lawyer who is an expert in labour/employment laws... What you need is professional advice, not random opinions on a forum.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Talkisneeded: 1:12pm On Feb 27
I don't really know...

I sell herbs for sexual enhancement tho
Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by phoneport(m): 1:12pm On Feb 27
You get mind o for Naija, you sack yourself come dey ask for pension... Dey play cool

5 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by DenreleDave(m): 1:13pm On Feb 27
If not that employers behave anyhow in Nigeria, the employer has no right to withhold his pension...

It is his... It is his sweat...... Whether he left or not, in as much as there were no fraudulent case against him, they don't have any right to withhold his pension

33 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by DenreleDave(m): 1:15pm On Feb 27
phoneport:
You get mind o for Naija, you sack yourself come dey ask for pension... Dey play cool
So he shud kill himself bcox he wants to make momey for another man's pocket

32 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by paskal16: 1:16pm On Feb 27
Wow you're in dipshit
Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by gabe: 1:17pm On Feb 27
Queengee:

Go to public complaints commission in your state.They will handle the issue free of charge.Them dey strike for now sha

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by EbenMayor(m): 1:19pm On Feb 27
It's always good to do the right thing.
Well, your former company not acknowledging the letter is no ground for them to stop your pay regardless of whether you resigned formally or not.
Even most letters from pension companies state that the pension company will pay the employee, if the company doesn't reply the mail btw 2 weeks.
Go drag the pension company

3 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by dfrost: 1:19pm On Feb 27
But why will you burn your professional bridge? Why on earth? Why?

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by GenderMix: 1:21pm On Feb 27
Your pension is your property and no one has the right to deprive you of the 25%. It can only be delayed

Here is my advice- Visit the office and humbly meet with the HR and explain yourself. You might get someone who Is close to the HR or admin officer to talk your case over. If you need to apologise please do so, if you need to hand over properly just do so and move on.

What the pension guys wants to confirm is if you actually resigned officially

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Willie2015: 1:21pm On Feb 27
Queengee:

You should have at least sent a resignation letter..

Whether they accept it or not is their problem...

U absconded from work ..thats the summary of the above scenario...

Go and resume back at work..

D worst they can do is to fire you.

5 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by charlypoker(m): 1:23pm On Feb 27
Queengee:

You made a mistake. Just go and beg the HR or simply write an apology letter to the HR. just look for way to make them have pity on your arrogance.
Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by ZaddyJ: 1:23pm On Feb 27
Willie2015:

You should have at least sent a resignation letter..

Whether they accept it or not is their problem...

U absconded from work ..thats the summary of the above scenario...

Go and resume back at work..

D worst they can do is to fire you.
angry

Sorry bro if he tried to resume they will hand him an indefinite suspension and that will mark the end of his pension career grin

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by jaxxy(m): 1:27pm On Feb 27
hmmm aslong as the dedication were made towards ur pension. They have no right to stop ur payment.

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by wunmi590(m): 1:29pm On Feb 27

Chai, you should have done the Honourable thing by resigning properly, knowing fully well that you are entitled to pension...

That's where they caught you, just go to your company, and plead with them, you can even cook up bad stories that something happened that's why you left like that...

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Vicana: 1:31pm On Feb 27
i believe there are some clause you did read properly in your previous job. some jobs require you to give them notice some months before resigning or return the last month salary or withholding of your pension......if you have your employment letter or conditions of work of your last job, go through it and cross check these details. if there is none, you can go through legal means.
Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Willie2015: 1:32pm On Feb 27
ZaddyJ:

angry

Sorry bro if he tried to resume they will hand him an indefinite suspension and that will mark the end of his pension career grin

Indefinite suspension means placing an employee...
in a temporary suspension pending investigation...
Terms of conditions will be stated clearly by the employer...
Indefinite suspension may be unlawful if it is too long ....
D worst case scenario is for the company to fire him...

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by gabbasin: 1:33pm On Feb 27
DenreleDave:
If not that employers behave anyhow in Nigeria, the employer has no right to withhold his pension...

It is his... It is his sweat...... Whether he left or not, in as much as there were no fraudulent case against him, they don't have any right to withhold his pension
it's not his former employer that is withholding his pension, the pension fund administrator wrote his former company for confirmation of his employment status which is the standard procedure before any pension contributor can access the 25% of his contribution when jobless

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Offpoint1: 1:33pm On Feb 27
V
Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by adubam(m): 1:35pm On Feb 27
gabbasin:
it's not his former employer that is withholding his pension, the pension fund administrator wrote his former company for confirmation of his employment status which is the standard procedure before any pension contributor can access the 25% of his contribution when jobless

Whether they acknowledge or not after 7 days of no response the pension fund administrator would go ahead and pay you your 25%.

3 Likes

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Dtruthspeaker: 1:38pm On Feb 27
Jogs1900:

You have to go to the company and sort yourself out for your good so that it won't look as if you absconded.

Refusal to work called absconded is also a type of terminstion and every person has a right to terminate his work and cannot rather should not be punished for it.

If only Nigerians would learn that rights do not come from men,

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Dtruthspeaker: 1:40pm On Feb 27
Willie2015:

Indefinite suspension means placing an employee...
in a temporary suspension pending investigation...
Terms of conditions will be stated clearly by the employer...
Indefinite suspension may be unlawful if it is too long ....
D worst case scenario is for the company to fire him...

Or he fires the company. Company's right is not greater than the workers right.
Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by Dtruthspeaker: 1:43pm On Feb 27
Vicana:
i believe there are some clause you did read properly in your previous job. some jobs require you to give them notice some months before resigning or return the last month salary or withholding of your pension......if you have your employment letter or conditions of work of your last job, go through it and cross check these details. if there is none, you can go through legal means.

Law supersedes any condition in contract that is unfair and unjust.

1 Like

Re: My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension by spencekat(m): 1:43pm On Feb 27
santaclaws:
Talk to a lawyer who is an expert in labour/employment laws... What you need is professional advice, not random opinions on a forum.
Exactly

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Dssc Shortlisting / Oando Plc, Not Worker-friendly Company – NUPENG / What Is Your Dream Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.