Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds (18614 Views)

Just Created An Account Blue Sky (pictures) / Video: Lady Jiu-jitsu Fighter Forces Phone Thief To Beg For Mercy / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by AmazingELixir: 11:03am On Feb 29
CSNg:

It's very simple.

The poster's sister was arrantly careless. Unlocked phone, unlocked apps which include the Opay.

Now this is what he did...after he stole the phone, he accessed the Opay app which would be definitely unlocked and tied to the number of the phone...he simply changed the password and Opay sends and OTP to the same phone which he copies and viola, he has full access.

After creating the card, he used the same changed password to withdraw all the funds.

First and foremost if you leave an Opay app open for more than a few minutes it automatically signs you out in which case you need to log in again with either your password or biometric.

Secondly to effect a password change you'll need to log in your old password or biometric to authenticate the process.

Unless the thief have some other way which is not yet known.

4 Likes

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Skillsnigeria: 11:04am On Feb 29
Hmmm, I guess your sister link her ATM to her opay. That's why the criminal was able to withdraw to her opay.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Timoleon(m): 11:05am On Feb 29
CSNg:

It's very simple.

The poster's sister was arrantly careless. Unlocked phone, unlocked apps which include the Opay.

Now this is what he did...after he stole the phone, he accessed the Opay app which would be definitely unlocked and tied to the number of the phone...he simply changed the password and Opay sends and OTP to the same phone which he copies and viola, he has full access.

After creating the card, he used the same changed password to withdraw all the funds.

did he change the zenith bank app password?.to transfer from zenith bank, he needs a password. The story doesn't add up.

3 Likes

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by do4luv14(m): 11:06am On Feb 29
Trendy247:
The atm card and sim card were with him.. Maybe he used OTP

He will still need her password,
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by seanery: 11:08am On Feb 29
How much are we talking about here, if it worth it.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Xxxylxxxx: 11:08am On Feb 29
[
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by temitope66(m): 11:08am On Feb 29
fidelmarshal199:

How was he able to carry out the transfer from zenith bank to the opay account? Did your sister supplied her the password/pin?

On a second thought, I think the transfer is possible because everything the thief needs to reset the pin is right there in front of him, the Sim and the atm card.

Op, Let your sister count her losses and move on. I'm Sorry for her loss though

You can automatically add money to Opay from the bank card you linked without Otp or pin
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by ObalendeCMS: 11:09am On Feb 29
A foo1ish thief stole my phone & I called Opay to freeze my account so the were will not move my money. Now wey I don retrieve my line, make Opay unfreeze my account, they are busy forming one kind security for my own account. Even after I presented my Int'l passport & nepa bill, they are still forming that they are a very secured platform. I will make sure I collect that money o - 50 pa! And make sure I demarket them every opportunity I have. I wonder how many people money dem done use style chop with this way.

3 Likes

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Xxxylxxxx: 11:10am On Feb 29
oluwaseyi0:
All this opay easy to access easy to defraud account

CBN should intervene and enforce strict measures

Also incase you don't know, fingerprint is the most unsafe mode of protecting anything on your phone

Fingerprint security is as good as no security you are better off with passwords
You're wrong. First, I don't trust the story from OP. You can't use a bank app without password or fingerprint to unlock it. And if fingerprint is used and it isn't safe as you just crucified it, you need password to set up your fingerprint should in case the phone refuses to authenticate your print due to reason anything. To add, remove fingerprint to / from your phone, you must set up a password. Even if you have to reset the password on your financial app, you need supply your BVN. The OP is telling lies.

2 Likes

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by chatinent: 11:10am On Feb 29
How did the culprit create Opay card and received the card the same day?

More so, even if her phone was unlocked, bank apps also mandate locks on user phones.

How did the culprit access her Zenith bank and Opay pin to facilitate a transfer?

2 Likes

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by AmuDimpka: 11:11am On Feb 29
This is why I keep telling people never use mobile app for your main bank that has all your money

Never link your main account to any app
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by lesbiconverter: 11:12am On Feb 29
LordBiden:
how could this happen.

i thought abokis are not smart people who are only good in making suya and delicious indomie.
probably they sold the phone cheaply and fast to someone who took the chance
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by AmuDimpka: 11:12am On Feb 29
chatinent:
How did the culprit create Opay card and received the card the same day?

Even if her phone was unlocked, bank apps also mandate locks on their phone.

Even if the phone is unlocked how did he get the pin same day and how was he able to transfer from her Zenith to Opay with ease...was there no pin

Opay requires fingerprint to do transfer ...so what happened

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by lesbiconverter: 11:14am On Feb 29
Xxxylxxxx:

You're wrong. First, I don't trust the story from OP. You can't use a bank app without password or fingerprint to unlock it. And if fingerprint is used and it isn't safe as you just crucified it, you need password to set up your fingerprint should in case the phone refuses to authenticate your print due to reason anything. To add, remove fingerprint to / from your phone, you must set up a password. Even if you have to reset the password on your financial app, you need supply your BVN. The OP is telling lies.
OTP bro. The phone had the SIM OTP. A very bad choice
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by casualobserver: 11:14am On Feb 29
ANTAX99:

Foolish question. No solution proffered. How does this solve a thing?

He has given the solution because there is no other solution. The problem with Nigerians is that so long as there is a way they can solve a problem, they don’t do the needful to avoid the problem. It is not today we have heard instances like this and yet you keep your bank details in an unlocked phone?

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by GloriousGbola: 11:16am On Feb 29
story is a lie jare

even if your phone is unlocked all those apps require a password

unless your sister is one of those people who leaves passwords in plain sight - which means it was just a matter of time before someone wiped her account
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Max24: 11:16am On Feb 29
Verbtips:
mission impossible
either pay police to tract am
or use am get sense
firstly
don't
take your
atm with you
most times use micro finance bank
always
register two sim the one with your bank acc should be kept in small phone in side your box and keep servcing it
to aviod being blocked
or u register two banks the atm u use should just have little amount in it
but the sim weY YOU TAKE REGISTER BANK SHOULD NOT BE ON MOBILE 2-4(CARRYING IT EVERY WHERE YOU GO{MTN)
I can't understand what you wrote, please.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by CSNg: 11:16am On Feb 29
Timoleon:
did he change the zenith bank app password?.to transfer from zenith bank, he needs a password. The story doesn't add up.

Helloooooooo! BVN!!

*565*0# to the rescue of the criminal!!
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by chatinent: 11:19am On Feb 29
MrBroke:

All he had to do was register his fingerprint on her phone to unlock her bank app(Opay, Zenith or anybank) or reset her password and pin using otp then transferd the money to her opay then reset her opay pin with same otp method b4 applying for card through any nearby agent(who should be arrested because the opay agent should know better that the account information is that of a female but maybe the aboki guy used a female to get the card) after which he withdrew the money.

Always lock your sim card and your phone and also don't use fingerprint in unlocking your bank apps or any app you consider private.

So how did he create the Opay card and receive it the same day?

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by chatinent: 11:21am On Feb 29
MrBroke:

All he had to do was register his fingerprint on her phone to unlock her bank app(Opay, Zenith or anybank) or reset her password and pin using otp then transferd the money to her opay then reset her opay pin with same otp method b4 applying for card through any nearby agent(who should be arrested because the opay agent should know better that the account information is that of a female but maybe the aboki guy used a female to get the card) after which he withdrew the money.

Always lock your sim card and your phone and also don't use fingerprint in unlocking your bank apps or any app you consider private.

Even before you register a new fingerprint or password on the phone, you'll be required to enter the existing one.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by netmillionaires(m): 11:23am On Feb 29
I think it is possible. Permit me explain a little bit.

The first problem is that the phone has no password. The thief will simply create a password for the phone. He will then go on to create fingerprint security. You know when you want to add fingerprint, it will ask for a password which he knows since he created it. Now he has a password and fingerprint.

He can then go to the Zenith bank app (I have not used it before so I can't say how it works). He tries to access the app but it asked for a password to unlock it. A big problem. He can choose to reset the password and if there is an option of OTP, he can easily change the password. Once he does that, he can use the new password to set biometric unlock for the app. The app only needs the existing fingerprint on the phone. It doesn't care whether it is hers or not.

seborrhic:

Use his own fingerprint to unlock her own account?
You go school so or you didn't read what you typed.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Wizpa(m): 11:23am On Feb 29
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool I no de like comment on people but make I cap u small matterz..

A real PH boy no de fear KALA. A port harcourt boi of 12years don de chop or handle KALA..

Wen it comes to banter(fight), PH boy go GIRI DIE for that BANTER, Weda na death or not..

For those MANCHIS to DISEMBARK them no say THIEF no de THIEF THIEF for daylight..

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

You never still change your supplier grin

2 Likes

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by DenreleDave(m): 11:23am On Feb 29
Curious346:
Always keep the sim card associated with your main bank account at home

Trash, not feasible.. So when they call the line, be unreachable
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by BABAawoo47: 11:23am On Feb 29
fidelmarshal199:

How was he able to carry out the transfer from zenith bank to the opay account? Did your sister supplied her the password/pin?

On a second thought, I think the transfer is possible because everything the thief needs to reset the pin is right there in front of him, the Sim and the atm card.

Op, Let your sister count her losses and move on. I'm Sorry for her loss though
even with that you still need your atm password.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by chatinent: 11:24am On Feb 29
As my phone dey, if you steal it, you'll hardly get any info. If you mistakenly do anything that will turn it off or flash it, that's the end of whatever you plan to do cos you cannot even access my SIMs anymore.

Take your security serious (password, backups and regular checkups), and stop being nonchalant... Na still man dey do man.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Xxxylxxxx: 11:25am On Feb 29
lesbiconverter:
OTP bro. The phone had the SIM OTP. A very bad choice
Oh I'm sorry. Your Right. With the sim card to receive OTP in your hand, surely you can do alot of things.

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Angelfrost(m): 11:26am On Feb 29
Na una slack.

Blocking the line should have been done within minutes...!

I had similar incident, used a friend's phone to call MTN customer service, gave them all my info, and had the number blocked.

This can be followed by calling your main bank's customer service to freeze the account instantly... This will be a lot easier during working hours, but some banks also operate 24-hour virtual customer services.

Another reason why I keep telling you people that the account carrying your main dough must never have an app or be easily accessible via atm cards... Have a spending account you only credit when necessary.

In addition, place a lien on your accounts to the effect that withdrawal via card or app should be within a limit. All large volume withdrawal must be done in person at the bank.

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by chatinent: 11:27am On Feb 29
netmillionaires:
I think it is possible. Permit me explain a little bit.

The first problem is that the phone has no password. The thief will simply create a password for the phone. He will then go on to create fingerprint security. You know when you want to add fingerprint, it will ask for a password which he knows since he created it. Now he has a password and fingerprint.

He can then go to the Zenith bank app (I have not used it before so I can't say how it works). He tries to access the app but it asked for a password to unlock it. A big problem. He can choose to reset the password and if there is an option of OTP, he can easily change the password. Once he does that, he can use the new password to set biometric unlock for the app. The app only needs the existing fingerprint on the phone. It doesn't care whether it is hers or not.

When he's inside the app, how does he send the sum without the app pin?

Even when he wants to reset, it requires he puts the old pin.

You cannot use bank apps without a transfer pin. It's mandatory.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by MrBroke(m): 11:36am On Feb 29
chatinent:

So how did he create the Opay card and receive it the same day?

Opay Agent. You get your card instantly
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Timoleon(m): 11:38am On Feb 29
CSNg:

Helloooooooo! BVN!!

*565*0# to the rescue of the criminal!!

Doesn't add up. Bank apps don't open without password.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by MrBroke(m): 11:40am On Feb 29
seborrhic:

Use his own fingerprint to unlock her own account?
You go school so or you didn't read what you typed.

When a fool thinks his wise and hastly types.

If I know your phone pin and I register my fingerprint, any app on your phone using fingerprint to authenticate or to log in would be accessible with my fingerprint too. It is not designed to know whose print it is.

Question you for ask you no ask, na rubbish you dey ask me. Ignorant mf
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by netmillionaires(m): 11:40am On Feb 29
I set fingerprint on my bank app. When I need to make transfer, and it ask for PIN, it also gives an option to use biometric. I just put my fingerprint and the transaction went through.

But what I think he did is that he bypassed the bank app entirely. I think the sister's Zenith card is attached to her Opay app which we know is always unlocked by default. He simply go to the Opay app to create a card, load the Opay account and use fingerprint to effect the transfer.

chatinent:

When he's inside the app, how does he send the sum without the app pin?

Even when he wants to reset, it requires he puts the old pin.

You cannot use bank apps without a transfer pin. It's mandatory.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How many of you can guess a number of phones while blindfolded? I tried to. / Best Keyboard For Android / How To Roll Over Your Unused MTN Internet Data Subscrition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.