Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,764 members, 7,831,455 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds (18591 Views)

Just Created An Account Blue Sky (pictures) / Video: Lady Jiu-jitsu Fighter Forces Phone Thief To Beg For Mercy / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Psoul(m): 11:46am On Feb 29
Verbtips:
mission impossible
either pay police to tract am
or use am get sense
firstly
don't
take your
atm with you
most times use micro finance bank
always
register two sim the one with your bank acc should be kept in small phone in side your box and keep servcing it
to aviod being blocked
or u register two banks the atm u use should just have little amount in it
but the sim weY YOU TAKE REGISTER BANK SHOULD NOT BE ON MOBILE 2-4(CARRYING IT EVERY WHERE YOU GO{MTN)

Just make sure your SIM card has password. They cannot hack into the SIM which will make their efforts useless.

Deactivate "Remember Password" on you Mobile app login.
All they did to that lady's account was easy cos her app may have bn activated to remember password and the SIM card was not passworded.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by CharleyBright(m): 11:48am On Feb 29
Trendy247:
My sister's handbag was snatched at Knifepoint by an Aboki man around airforce junction in Port-harcourt. The bag contained her phone, Zenith bank ATM card and other valuables.

Unfortunately, her phone wasn't locked. The thief transferred all her money from her Zenith bank account to her OPay account, then quickly created an OPay card and withdrew the funds by midnight.

We were able to track the exact location of the phone the following day using her google account, before the thief removed the account.

We urgently need help in identifying and tracing the individual(s) who assisted with the OPay card creation and withdrawal.

we have called Opay customer care, but they are not willing to assist.

It was very silly of your sister to leave phone unlocked. Who does that these days?
Better to even lock with finger lock.
There is nothing to be done. Money is go ne.
However, she can still trace the thief from beneficiary of the withdrawal from the OPAY account.
Firstly, she will have to go do welcome back of the line she used to open the OPAY account.
Secondly she will have to reactivate the OPAY Account on her new phone Or your phone or anyfriend phone if she can't buy a phone immediately.
Thirdly, she will log on into her OPAY account. Likely the thief might have changed password. So she will need to do reset password if so. But if the thief hasn't changed password, she can log in easily. When she logs into her OPAY account, she should check her Transaction history on the top right of her OPAY account. Then click on the last withdrawals that the thief debit, it will show the name of the identity and bank.
That way, she has name to track the thief.

Best of luck with that

And a very strong advise to everyone..
If you have a Bank App on your phone, especially the ones that you have linked with OPAY, Pls do well to hide the apps.
Download Hide App and hide your bank apps from public view on your screen. Someone steals your phone he can't access your bank apps cos it is hidden and locked away.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by FaithfulGod2023: 11:50am On Feb 29
Once a thief or fraudster got sim in fact particularly your ATM card with both the front and three digit behind the card...my brethren forget it oo.

However, I always advice people not to make use of all these fintech apps like opay, palmpay, smartcash, moneypoint etc for huge or life savings except for urgent needs....reasons--KYC issues thereby making it difficult for commercial banks to recover loss funds.

SHE SHOULD INVOLVE THE POLICE IF MONEY INVOLVED IS HUGE AND THEY MAY TRACK HIM.

I pray you recover ur funds.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Stevenbright(m): 11:53am On Feb 29
AmuDimpka:

Even if the phone is unlocked how did he get the pin same day and how was he able to transfer from her Zenith to Opay with ease...was there no pin

Opay requires fingerprint to do transfer ...so what happened

Probably the zenith bank card is linked to the Opay account. All the person needs to do is use the "Add Money" button to move money from the zenith bank account to the Opay account.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:00pm On Feb 29
THAT IS WHAT THOSE GODLESS EVIL PEOPLE DO WHEN THEY STEAL PHONES.
Always password your sim card with your PUK FROM MTN OR GLO OR AIRTEL, AND ALL THIS RUBBISH PHONE CRIMINALS WILL REDUCE AND STOP.

THERE ARE TWO PASSWORDS YOU MUST USE FOR YOUR PHONES,
1)THE PHONE SET PASWORD AND
2)THE SIM CARD PASSWORD USING PUK NUMBER IN YOUR WELCOME PACK LEAFLET.

MOST IMPORTANT,ALWAYS FIRST CALL CUSTOMER CARE TO BLOCK ALL YOUR BANK ACCOUNT WITH MONEY IMMEFIATELY YOU LOSE YOUR PHONES

NIGERIANS WAKE UP AND STOP PHONE THIEVES NOW IFSHA. angry
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Blackrose71: 12:02pm On Feb 29
Next time
Do not wait till morning…immediately such happens use your neighbors phone or a relative and dial your bank short code…tell them you want to block your account.
They would attend to you
I have done this more than twice.
I lit has saved me a lot
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Blackrose71: 12:03pm On Feb 29
Next time
Do not wait till morning…immediately such happens use your neighbors phone or a relative and dial your bank short code…tell them you want to block your account.
They would attend to you
I have done this more than twice.
It has saved me a lot.

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Verbtips(m): 12:04pm On Feb 29
Max24:

I can't understand what you wrote, please.
i mean the sim which u use to register or open a bank acc should not be used as public sim
you should have at least 3 sims
or two bank accts
with two sims
the bank in which there is boyant cash should be kept at home while the other sim with less cash should be your mtn
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Verbtips(m): 12:05pm On Feb 29
Psoul:

Just make sure your SIM card has password. They cannot hack into the SIM which will make their efforts useless.

Deactivate "Remember Password" on you Mobile app login.
All they did to that lady's account was easy cos her app may have bn activated to remember password and the SIM card was not passworded.
419 go still be 419 they make try to get ur personal info and use it to get ur puk no
be wise bro
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Trendy247: 12:23pm On Feb 29
Bimpe29:
How was the thief access her Zenith and Opay Bank Account in the first place? I believe the bank account apps are ordinarily passworded and PIN are required to process the transfer of fund therefrom.
They transferred from her Zenith bank account through Her Zenith Atm card, not bank app. And with her sim card, they were able to get access to her Opay Account.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Trendy247: 12:25pm On Feb 29
TOPCRUISE:
She should have gone immediately to her bank to block her account.
It happened at night, and the transaction was carried out that same night
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by stonemind(f): 12:46pm On Feb 29
Trendy247:

They transferred from her Zenith bank account through Her Zenith Atm card, not bank app. And with her sim card, they were able to get access to her Opay Account.

The zenith ATM card no dey use pin?
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by stonemind(f): 12:47pm On Feb 29
Trendy247:

It happened at night, and the transaction was carried out that same night

Super story
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by 1Nairaboy(m): 12:48pm On Feb 29
Abi transactions shld ask for PIN or fingerprint. There is an Opay service center somewhere at Market Junction after Wimpy junction. Direction as if you are going to Big tree ask ppl around there for more information on the Location. Hear from them first, I think they cld have some findings with them. It's well
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Warrior247: 12:54pm On Feb 29
fidelmarshal199:

How was he able to carry out the transfer from zenith bank to the opay account? Did your sister supplied her the password/pin?

On a second thought, I think the transfer is possible because everything the thief needs to reset the pin is right there in front of him, the Sim and the atm card.

Op, Let your sister count her losses and move on. I'm Sorry for her loss though

It's good to always lock the sim and the phone
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by iOYEN: 12:55pm On Feb 29
AmazingELixir:
How did the ab.oki get her password or biometric to effect the transfer...this story is suspicious abeg.

I wanted to say the same thing because you cannot reset your zenith bank app without your card pin which the thief didn't have. Also, there is a password for login and another for password for transfer. The same thing for OPAY, although most of the time it open without asking for login password but transfer password is needed before you will be able to transfer any amount.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Trendy247: 12:57pm On Feb 29
iOYEN:

I wanted to say the same thing because you cannot reset your zenith bank app without your card pin which the thief didn't have. Also, there is a password for login and another for password for transfer. The same thing for OPAY, although most of the time it open without asking for login password but transfer password is needed before you will be able to transfer any amount.
I specifically mentioned Zenith bank ATM card, not app.. Are u aware you can fund your opay account with any of your bank cards?
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by stonemind(f): 12:58pm On Feb 29
iOYEN:

This super story is 100% cooked up
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by stonemind(f): 1:00pm On Feb 29
Trendy247:

I specifically mentioned Zenith bank ATM card, not app.. Are u aware you can fund your opay account with any of you bank cards?

Without the pin?
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Trendy247: 1:04pm On Feb 29
stonemind:

Without the pin?
According to her, the Zenith bank card was already linked to opay, so they used only otp for authentication
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by LordBillionz: 1:06pm On Feb 29
How did he know your sisters bank app password and transaction pin?
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Kinzo0917(m): 1:18pm On Feb 29
Trendy247:
My sister's handbag was snatched at Knifepoint by an Aboki man around airforce junction in Port-harcourt. The bag contained her phone, Zenith bank ATM card and other valuables.

Unfortunately, her phone wasn't locked. The thief transferred all her money from her Zenith bank account to her OPay account, then quickly created an OPay card and withdrew the funds by midnight.

We were able to track the exact location of the phone the following day using her google account, before the thief removed the account.

We urgently need help in identifying and tracing the individual(s) who assisted with the OPay card creation and withdrawal.

we have called Opay customer care, but they are not willing to assist.
smiley

Why she no block d account immediately?

Blocking don't take up to 5minutes

U can do it with someone else phone 📱
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Kinzo0917(m): 1:20pm On Feb 29
westlius:
That Airforce junction is very deadly at night,
Some years back me and my bro was coming from Airforce to Rumola, when we reach Airforce to wait for cab, 2 guys approached us begging for arms, we declined and said we had no money, so one of them tried to change am for us, he said if na GUN OR KNIFE I hold ona for don give us money and ona fone abi, Omo two seconds we and my brother change am immediately for dem as ijaw boys, (Ona think say we dey fear gun/knife) we throw one/two PH slacks and we ready fight, omo d guys just left us

U no even sabi type in pidgin

Nawa
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by westlius(m): 1:33pm On Feb 29
Kinzo0917:

U no even sabi type in pidgin

Nawa
noted.
we get plenty professors in English language and spellings for here

1 Like

Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Eagba(m): 1:57pm On Feb 29
CSNg:

It's very simple.

The poster's sister was arrantly careless. Unlocked phone, unlocked apps which include the Opay.

Now this is what he did...after he stole the phone, he accessed the Opay app which would be definitely unlocked and tied to the number of the phone...he simply changed the password and Opay sends and OTP to the same phone which he copies and viola, he has full access.

After creating the card, he used the same changed password to withdraw all the funds.

he firstly register his finger print in the phone, then proceed to open opay app. Cos the new opay will require face recognition if pin is wrong and not otp.
Always lock your phone settings and sim
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by MUNCHING2024: 2:23pm On Feb 29
This story no too jel. How did phone thief get her ATM pin?
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by Psoul(m): 2:48pm On Feb 29
Verbtips:
419 go still be 419 they make try to get ur personal info and use it to get ur puk no
be wise bro

Bros, that one will not work for them. Hacking the SIM card will not be a joke for them. Hacking into phone is easier. Those guys do not waste their time trying to hack into locked SIM cards.
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by NFBI: 3:16pm On Feb 29
wisdomkid:

Please always stop with the blame game. Who told you the victim has not blamed herself enough?
Tomorrow, if she off'ed herself now, you'll still blame her...

May God Almighty forgive me, but I despite people like you, and God willing, never come across humans with your mentality
Do i look like i give a 🖕

I don't even know you exist
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by HONESTMD: 3:27pm On Feb 29
AmazingELixir:

First and foremost if you leave an Opay app open for more than a few minutes it automatically signs you out in which case you need to log in again with either your password or biometric.

Secondly to effect a password change you'll need to log in your old password or biometric to authenticate the process.

Unless the thief have some other way which is not yet known.

Exactly!
Re: Help! A Phone Thief Created An Opay Card And Withdrew My Sister's Funds by IamHonourable1: 3:42pm On Feb 29
NFBI:
Why didn't she lock her phone? she is her problem.

It's irresponsible to always find a way of blaming a victim instead of the criminal and Nigerians are fond of that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tecno Unveils Phantom AIII Smartphone / How To Transfer Megabyte On Airtel / Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.