Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? (441 Views)

Ghanaian Monarch On Demolition: Nigeria Wanted To Take Our Land Forcibly / Buhari Reveals What Will Determine Reopening Of Land Borders / FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Rikze: 7:08am On Feb 29
shocked

I'm sincerely happy with the slight improvement the Naira is making against the dollar. I also understand that one of the reasons the land borders were closed is to improve local food production and to strengthen the Naira. However, that has not yielded the desired result.

I am not an expert on this matter so I'd to hear from those who know better. Will reopening the land borders to allow food and other items to come in hurt the Naira further? Why don't we try this option now that many Nigerians can't feed themselves so that there will enough food to crash the prices in the market?

Those are my concerns. Those who know better should please contribute because I don't see the wisdom in closing the borders at this material time.
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Yankee101: 7:10am On Feb 29
Prices of packaged food and goods will go down
We import a lot more cheaper through Cotonou and same route via land through Niger republic also
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Googledotcom: 7:12am On Feb 29
Is the economy not hurt already ? What's there left ?
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Ahmed0336(m): 7:13am On Feb 29
Yankee101:
We import a lot more cheaper through Cotonou and same route via land through Niger republic also
Really? What's the current value of Naira to CFA franc? Add custom duties and transportation cost then revisit what you just wrote up there. Thank you.
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Rikze: 7:13am On Feb 29
Yankee101:

shocked

Exactly my thoughts too. However, I do not know if there things the govt knows we do not know or there are things we know they do not know.
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Rikze: 7:16am On Feb 29
Ahmed0336:

Really? What's the current value of Naira to CFA franc? Add custom duties and transportation cost then revisit what you just wrote up there. Thank you.

shocked

You have a point though. But with more supplies than demand, prices would crash. Secondly, since the idea is to feed her citizens by making food more available, fg could make the custom duties and all that a lot more easier for importers.

2 Likes

Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Rikze: 7:18am On Feb 29
shocked

Nlfpmod

Mynd44

A pleasant morning to you guys.
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by SpartaOfLagos: 7:21am On Feb 29
Open the border so people will stop complaining of hunger in Lagos
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Rikze: 7:31am On Feb 29
SpartaOfLagos:
Open the border so people will stop complaining of hunger in Lagos

shocked

Hunger is everywhere bro, not just Lagos. Here in Yenagoa, people are really struggling to feed. It problem is all over the country

1 Like

Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Cindypresh(f): 7:34am On Feb 29
Was our economy not better before useless Apc,Tinupoo and Buhari came in 2015 and locked everywhere??

Were we not better

2 Likes

Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Yankee101: 8:09am On Feb 29
Ahmed0336:

If you visit jibiya you’ll see hundreds of trucks entering the country per day especially at night

Customs duty for shipping to nigeria is much more expensive than contonou

Do you wonder why they call used cars cotonou cars even though Naija import cars too? Cos it’s cheaper to land there

Also a lot of smuggling and discounted entries happen
That’s why these countries go down eonomically when we shut our borders. Most of their imports are for Nigerian consumption. They don’t produce them locally so has more to do with USD than CFA
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by fkelly(m): 8:31am On Feb 29
The hunger in Yenagoa is too much, every girl child now has the tendency to sell her self for come plate of food.

Abokies now use our women with just a plate of indomie.

Most times I feel very shameful of what the state have become.

Rikze:

shocked

Hunger is everywhere bro, not just Lagos. Here in Yenagoa, people are really struggling to feed. It problem is all over the country
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Rikze: 8:41am On Feb 29
fkelly:
The hunger in Yenagoa is too much, every girl child now has the tendency to sell her self for come plate of food.

shocked

It's so sad 😢 bro. The ladies prior to now had little self-control sexually speaking but the hunger now has a multiplier effect on them.

Just drive through our roads in the early hours of the night, you'll see them well dressed (skimpily) along the roads shining eyes looking for you to ask them to come over.

Prostitution has become the order of the day. So sad 😢😭😭😢😢😢
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by Tallesty1(m): 9:12am On Feb 29
fkelly:

Yenagoa people have been doing that since the time of Jonathan. It is not new.
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by fkelly(m): 7:25pm On Feb 29
The rate is too high now, very shameful act

Tallesty1:
Yenagoa people have been doing that since the time of Jonathan. It is not new.
Re: Will Reopening Our Land Borders Hurt The Economy? by fkelly(m): 7:27pm On Feb 29
It's painful bro

Rikze:

shocked

It's so sad 😢 bro. The ladies prior to now had little self-control sexually speaking but the hunger now has a multiplier effect on them.

Just drive through our roads in the early hours of the night, you'll see them well dressed (skimpily) along the roads shining eyes looking for you to ask them to come over.

Prostitution has become the order of the day. So sad 😢😭😭😢😢😢

(1) (Reply)

FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike's Lawmaker Resigns. / Julius Abure Of Labour Party (LP) - Who Has His Full Background? / Peter Obi Speaks At Harvard’s Africa Development Conference 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.