Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

A Nutritionist Advised That We Eat Meat/fish First Before The Food. How Correct Is This Habit? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / A Nutritionist Advised That We Eat Meat/fish First Before The Food. How Correct Is This Habit? (2197 Views)

How To Eat Meat In Public? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Please Help Me, I Can't Eat Meat Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Nutritionist Advised That We Eat Meat/fish First Before The Food. How Correct Is This Habit? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 12, 2011
As stated in the title, the nutritionist advised that its better to eat meat/fish first before eating the rice, beans, amala, Eba, semo, pounded yam, fufu or porridge.

He opined that protein serving as the bedrock for other classes of food like carbohydrate, vitamins etc is good for the body.

Our common habit is to do the food first and then return to battle the meat, fish, egg or chicken.

I did this few minutes again whilst having lunch. rice first and meat followed.

What do u think?
Re: A Nutritionist Advised That We Eat Meat/fish First Before The Food. How Correct Is This Habit? by Jenifa1: 6:16pm On Dec 26, 2011
I think the reason is because meat takes twice as long to digest as carbs.
if you eat them at the same time, the carb will stay in your stomach and ferment because it's waiting for the meat to complete digestion. digestive problems occur when food ferments in your stomach.

something else is that meat and carbs need different digestive juices. meat is acid while carbs is alkaline (or the other way round, I don't remember).
it's not recommended to eat them together.

something my intuition tells me, however, is the wisdom in ounje okele ex eba, amala, pounded yam etc. because although the digestion of carbs starts in the mouth (from chewing), we don't normally chew ounje okele. we swallow them whole and so I think that this slows down the digestion so much that it is ok to eat it with meat.
also,saliva is a main digestive juice needed for carbs but since we are not chewing ounje okele, it may end up being digested the same way as meat. I don't know. i'm just speculating.

so yeah. eat your meat before your carbs (esp rice lol) but eat it at least an hour before other wise, it makes no difference.

(1) (Reply)

Peanut Milk Or Groundnut Milk Recipe | Ingredients Needed For Preparation / Purging From Eating Beans.help! / Why Are Oranges In Nigeria Yellow In Colour??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.