Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? (14745 Views)

Christland Sex Scandal: Where Did We Go Wrong? What No One Is Talking About / When Your Children Call The Police For Disciplining Them. / Divorce Invitation: Weirdest Party Invitation I Have Ever Seen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Joy2dworldxyz: 1:10pm On Mar 05
When u see END TIME MARRIAGE you will know. There difference are usually settled in the police station.

Like this to no even marry better o
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by AdaAwka1: 1:14pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:
This my female colleague at work received a call from a female Police officer by name officer angel.

She informed her that her husband brought a complaint against her to the station and as a result her presence is required at the station.

It was when she got home tonight that the police Invitation was handed to her by a co-tenant.

Right now, she is contemplating if she should honor the invitation or not as she is not sure if the Nigerian police can be trusted.

From what I could gather concerning her and her husband is that they have been married for less than two years. The foundation of the marriage was built on lies. The husband pretended to be what he wasn't during their courtship, which unfortunately lasted less than three months.

My colleague for reasons I'm yet to understand failed to make all the necessary enquiry concerning the man she was getting married to.

The man has been married before in which the first wife died as a result of maltreatment from the man and his family members especially from his mother and his elder sisters.

My colleague saw a completely different man from what she thought that she got married to in less than a month after their white wedding.
She was always treated like a slave by her mother in law and two of her daughters with broken marriages.

The husband always accused her of having extra marital affairs with no tangible evidence to back it up and usually have her locked out of their rented apartment.

This is actually the first time she stood up to her husband and the next thing he did was to report her to the police.

What did she do to warrant the invitation? She has nothing to fear, it's domestic so am sure she was called by one of the human right officers. She can decide to go alone or with someone. Not a lawyer for now.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Kdon2: 1:19pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:

Wouldn't that make it look like she is guilty of the unfounded accusations against her?
Thanks for your quality input anyway

Please educate yourself well. Ordinarily you need a lawyer to represent you in a police issue. It's a right and security for you.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by TenQ: 1:20pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:
This my female colleague at work received a call from a female Police officer by name officer angel.

She informed her that her husband brought a complaint against her to the station and as a result her presence is required at the station.

It was when she got home tonight that the police Invitation was handed to her by a co-tenant.

Right now, she is contemplating if she should honor the invitation or not as she is not sure if the Nigerian police can be trusted.

From what I could gather concerning her and her husband is that they have been married for less than two years. The foundation of the marriage was built on lies. The husband pretended to be what he wasn't during their courtship, which unfortunately lasted less than three months.

My colleague for reasons I'm yet to understand failed to make all the necessary enquiry concerning the man she was getting married to.

The man has been married before in which the first wife died as a result of maltreatment from the man and his family members especially from his mother and his elder sisters.

My colleague saw a completely different man from what she thought that she got married to in less than a month after their white wedding.
She was always treated like a slave by her mother in law and two of her daughters with broken marriages.

The husband always accused her of having extra marital affairs with no tangible evidence to back it up and usually have her locked out of their rented apartment.

This is actually the first time she stood up to her husband and the next thing he did was to report her to the police.
Tell her to report herself at the police station AND she must go with a lawyer (for advise as she would ba asked to write a statement)
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Beverlyjean(f): 1:29pm On Mar 05
yesloaded:

Oh, I didn't read that part and I wonder who op failed to include that in his main post instead of posting it later. Can you now see why I said in my post that there's 2 sides to the story

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by AMAUCHESKY(m): 1:30pm On Mar 05
Chickensoup:
This is the problem I have with women. Whenever a lady complains, other ladies believe without asking themselves what about the other person's side of the story or could she be lying. Look at what you typed, the only thing I see is what your friend told you. Have you asked the husband or asked yourself if the story she is giving you is hyped. Have you ever seen a lady breakup and say she is the one at fault?

All the things she told you, what is the connection with police calling your friend. Did she commit a crime or not? Why all the irrelevant info about her married life. There are good and bad people for both genders so until we hear the husband's side of the story, we don't know if your friend is lying or saying the truth.

You are wise and wiser than everyone who has comment so far

I love people like you

1 Like

Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Beverlyjean(f): 1:31pm On Mar 05
Maobichek:

Many homes/marriages are doing well, please don't celebrate singleness because if you have a good home/marriage, you will not hesitate to encourage singles to go and get married.

A man need a woman and a man need a man.

As per gay , abi wetin
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Maobichek: 1:37pm On Mar 05
Beverlyjean:

As per gay , abi wetin

It's a mistake, "a man need a woman and a woman need a man." That's it.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Beverlyjean(f): 1:40pm On Mar 05
Maobichek:

It's a mistake, "a man need a woman and a woman need a man." That's it.

Lol...don't mind me ...I knew it was a mistake.... more like pointing out for u to correct it
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by etrange: 2:04pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:

According to her, the husband ceased her phone and denied her access to her personal effects which caused a tussle between them, after which he claimed that she damaged his properties.
She is my work colleague like I said initially

Let her go with her lawyer, guilty or not. If she damaged the property cause she was trying to regain access to her items, her lawyer should be able get her out. The husband might have been the one in the wrong, but it's still a good thing he took the case to the police instead of resorting to further violence. However, you're right to think he might have bought the police over. So going with her lawyer is the ideal thing to do.

Marital laws in Nigeria are a joke.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by pacespot(m): 2:09pm On Mar 05
They must have written this in the petition filed.

Nigerian police might act differently than that though
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by bentenny(m): 2:11pm On Mar 05
Never honour a police invitation in Nigeria without an attorney!
You might be compelled to sign a document that's not yours or even disappear!
We do not yet have a police one can really trust!
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by igwedubai2(m): 2:18pm On Mar 05
Tell her to honor the invitation is a domestic violence that emanated to conduct like to cause the breach of peace and wilful damage. A complainant can be an accused
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Panda7(m): 2:19pm On Mar 05
pls don't joke with police or police station, those guys are like the most uncivilized and less educated profession in Nigeria. if I have a police issue, I make sure I avoid that environment and any body involved as long as possible. a domestic animal has more rights than someone who have a case with the police, be wise. the least time i had a police case, I was made to swear an oath and sign an undertaking for wrong accusations. if you can't handle it it is better to battle a divorce paper when it is not too late than had I know. because someone who will quickly report a supposed family case to the police can be cruel in doing harms to you.

1 Like

Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Psoul(m): 2:20pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:

This is actually the first time she stood up to her husband and the next thing he did was to report her to the police

You ended up saying nothing. When you need advise, you should give enough details that will be vital in advising you.

All you said here cannot make the lady scared of honouring the invitation.

You said...this was her first time of standing up to her husband.
How did she stand up to him?
What did she actually did.
Did she harmed the man or what?
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by steeltrust: 2:25pm On Mar 05
Cowbell521:
You no get sense. The man did this. The man did that. What did she do that made him.report her to the police? She damaged Abi she no damage? Follow her to the station na. Sheybi you dey the same house with them. Mugu
you can actually make your point without insulting

I don’t know why nairalanders are always dumb concerning issues 🤦🏽‍♂️
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Lomprico2: 2:31pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:

Let her go with a lawyer
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by onadana: 2:36pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:
Now that we are in the front page, I will keep updating the thread as the case unfolds.

For those asking how I happen to know so much about the couple, I have a cousin who is from the same community with the man's family and has always been the one keeping me informed with the situations in that family

Keeping you informed in other people's marital affairs.You never talk true wetin connect you and the woman.Well since she is your colleague and you care so much I strongly advice you follow her to the station as a colleague.A caring one at that
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by godofuck231: 2:40pm On Mar 05
Accidental discharge, mistaken identity
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by sylve11: 2:43pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:
Now that we are in the front page, I will keep updating the thread as the case unfolds.

For those asking how I happen to know so much about the couple, I have a cousin who is from the same community with the man's family and has always been the one keeping me informed with the situations in that family

Why are you concerned about the affairs of these people? cool
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Abemy(m): 2:58pm On Mar 05
"The husband always accused her of having extra marital affairs with no tangible evidence to back it up......"

At my age, experience has shown me that, 90% of persons that are quick to demand for evidence, when accused of doing something is actually guilty of the said offence.

OP, you are the said wife here stop fooling us .

Go with a lawyer

You don't trust the police, but wants us to trust you, a one side story teller, and a property destroyer?

A sensible man will not dragg his wife to the police, if he is the one at fault.

As you started standing up for yourself, go and continue at the police station, go with a lawyer, but if you are guilty as accused, make it a family matter or better still, tell them the police is not a court of law, and that the case should be charged to court. Say this, and say nothing more.

Thank me later.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Abemy(m): 3:03pm On Mar 05
TOPCRUISE:
What a terrible mistake. 3 months courtship is not enough no matter how desperate you are to get married. Marrying a man who together with his family killed his first wife is suicide. Marrying a man who will later lock you up due to a misunderstanding is foolishness.
She should update her family now o that the wife killer she married is about to lock her up and about to kill her in her matrimonial home.

You will actually believe, if someone told you your mother is a man, if you believe this hug wash.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Maobichek: 3:21pm On Mar 05
Beverlyjean:

Lol...don't mind me ...I knew it was a mistake.... more like pointing out for u to correct it

I hate gay with passion, i see those into it as retards hence need help.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Afonja2000: 4:10pm On Mar 05
israelmao:
Get a competent lawyer and relate the matter to him or her,go to the police station with him or her as well to honour the invitation.However,there's an existing evil pattern trending in your husband's family,your husband's first marriage ended up with death of his late wife who died as a result of maltreatment and your husband's two sisters had broken marriages and in full support of what their brother did to you even together with their mother.
You are very thoughtful

1 Like

Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Afonja2000: 4:15pm On Mar 05
Abemy:

You will actually believe, if someone told you your mother is a man, if you believe this hug wash.
Must you always be stupid? Can't you make your point without resorting to insult?
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by youngrichnigga: 4:45pm On Mar 05
Your friend should have no fear and report, it's to the human rights desk and they'll mainly try to resolve the issues for them. I hope your friend did not vandalize the mans property sha shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by GOOOGLE504(m): 5:08pm On Mar 05
You guys are picking a side and it’s not even the woman’s side.. it’s an hearsay from another hearsay - If the op was any truthful

If she is innocent of all these and actually married a psycho unintentionally, then she shd peacefully leave d marriage

Sha fear woman…
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by GOOOGLE504(m): 5:13pm On Mar 05
Psoul:

You ended up saying nothing. When you need advise, you should give enough details that will be vital in advising you.

All you said here cannot make the lady scared of honouring the invitation.

You said...this was her first time of standing up to her husband.
How did she stand up to him?
What did she actually did.
Did she harmed the man or what?

Exactly. Na half sided story be dis..

Anyways the Lord is their strength, both man and woman

1 Like

Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by ireke(m): 5:41pm On Mar 05
Afonja2000:

Wouldn't that make it look like she is guilty of the unfounded accusations against her?

I will ignore the details about what is going on between the couple and focus solely on the Police invitation.

Please let her go with her lawyer. Forget about the optics. Let them presume her as guilty. It's OK, the lawyer will handle that.

It would have been a different case if she was invited as a witness, and she shows up with a lawyer or if she was invited as one of many suspects and she ends up being the only suspect with a lawyer. In this case, she was invited because someone reported her, so what else do you want to hear at the police station?

In saner climes, she has the option of keeping mute and requesting for a lawyer if things did not pan out as expected at the station. In Nigeria, on the other hand, it will be a little too late if she's not influential.

Conclusion: It's better to err on the side of caution - she should go with a lawyer.

and like someone mentioned - she should not show up on a Friday o. Police will dribble lawyer self to make her spend the weekend in detention if they are determined.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by Afonja2000: 6:46pm On Mar 05
GOOOGLE504:
You guys are picking a side and it’s not even the woman’s side.. it’s an hearsay from another hearsay - If the op was any truthful

If she is innocent of all these and actually married a psycho unintentionally, then she shd peacefully leave d marriage

Sha fear woman…
I know the guy to an extent and I can tell you for a fact that he is not emotionally matured for marriage
I pity the lady anyway
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by LordFaraday(m): 6:50pm On Mar 05
It's better she shouldn't go alone.she can go with a family member, not necessarily a lawyer . Am talking from experience. If she goes alone it will make her vulnerable.
Re: Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? by DaddyGngeess(m): 7:06pm On Mar 05
Always honor police invitations if your hands no biggie there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is A Living Wage For A Family Of 4 In Lagos / Which Do I Choose; Marriage Or Job? / Lady Who Waited For Many Years Before Welcoming Her Daughter, Shares testimony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.