Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,500 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol (397 Views)

IPOB Kills 13 Northern Traders In Enugu, Imo In One Week / Northern Traders Call-Off Strike, Say FG Agreed To Pay N4.75bn Compensation / We Would Rather Lose Goods — Northern Traders Adamant As Boycott Hurts Both Side (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by UtuokeAlcoholic: 1:52pm On Mar 10
Nigerians have extolled the virtues of Northern traders, describing them as the most honest and loyal set of businessmen in the country.
While responding to a statement by Abdulrazak Rogo, Nigerians praised Northern traders for their honesty, innocence, and prioritisation of God and humanity over money.

Rogo in a post on his Facebook page, naratted the honesty of a Northern trader, saying, “Today, I paid for cement at the rate of N8,200 per bag. Now the seller called and said the price has been reduced to N7,800, so he will refund N400 for each bag.”

Reacting to the statement, Reno Omokri, a former aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan, noted that “the level of honesty amongst ordinary Northerners is pure, innocent, and undefiled. Even until today."

“For the most part, they do not have that dirty ‘sense’ which some particular Southerners have. Their love for God and humanity exceeds their desire to make money.”

Affirming Omokri’s claims, Samson Azigbeotu states that “this hardly happens in the south. There is more honesty and sincerity in the core North than in the South. I really admire the lifestyle of the Northerners.”

Calling them the “best tribe” in Nigeria, Adeyemi Opeyemi, who alluded to personal experience, says, “The Northerners to me are the best tribe in Nigeria. I wanted to buy pure water for my little boy from one Aboki (a Hausa word for friend used by Southerners to describe Hausa men) that I never knew before, but I didn’t have change (only a N500 note was with me). The Aboki gave me it free of charge, saying, Sebi, it’s for the little boy.”

Also recounting a personal encounter with a Northern trader, Michael Ifeanyi stated, “I’m a developer from south-east Nigeria. My Abuja site manager (Muntari) is from the North. He rejected three times his salary from a client who wanted to poach him because he (the client) insulted me and chose to leave the site with me. They are loyal till death.”

Mikiel Lawal stated that, “To back up your submission, anywhere you see a northern and a southern person selling the same foodstuff, go and ask for the price of the product both of them are selling, and you will see clearly the difference.”

“That’s why life in the north is cheaper than in other parts of the country. Rather than a large profit margin while people are suffering, Northerners believe in small profits and blessings,” [/i]Abdulrafiq Akano noted.

For John Oluwasogo, he argued that the honesty of Northern traders is[b] “top notch.”.[/b]

He said, [i]“Among other things, this is one thing I love about the Northerners; their honesty is top-notch; even during my service year in Jigawa State, you can’t help but admire this exceptional trait of theirs.”

“Honestly, it’s peculiar to the Northern traders’ self-control attitude as a result of God’s fear and humanity.

No one involves their price control format; they control the price of beans, tomatoes, and peppers in my community with a perfect price without any addition,” Quadri Folawiyo stated.

5 Likes

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by immortalcrown(m): 1:54pm On Mar 10
I hear this a lot and will not doubt it since I have not been to the North.

But it seems that only bad Northerners go to the East and the South for business. I say this because the ones I meet in the East and in the South are mean. For example, try the ones that buy and sell condemned iron objects. They lie a lot. They try to pay 1k for something that is worth more than 5k. Some times, they will not want to buy the object but they will try to steal it if you look away. The ones that sell food items are greedy. They don't even give discounts unless you speak their language. They also use gutter water to wash what their own people rarely buy, which implies wickedness towards others tribes. The ones that move around for menial jobs steal a lot. They steal metal bars placed across gutters for vehicles. They enter lonely houses to steal metal objects.

Well, I have always said that every tribe has good people and bad people.

But linking the perceived attitudes of ordinary Northerners to the lower cost of living in the North is illogical. If it is because of the attitudes of ordinary Northerners, why don't I see it in the Northerners that sell Carrot, Onions, Tiger nuts, and Suya in the East and in the South? Only those who speak Hausa or have established a serious friendship with the Northern dealers of those commodities enjoy preferential treatments. Should I also talk about the ones that patrol as shoe makers? I don't mean to deny the claim about Northerners' honesty. This paragraph is fused on the claim that Northerners' attitudes reduce cost of living.

Still on the cost living, more than 50% of the local food items consumed in Nigeria is cultivated in the North. Why won't cost of living be lower there? If you say it is because of their attitudes, I guess you are talking about farming as their habits.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by LadyRosa(f): 1:57pm On Mar 10
Congratulations to them.
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by Goodnewsforlife: 1:57pm On Mar 10
But on d other hand, our southern brothers are happy that things are going up n are inflating it at will cos their brother lost election

Tell me y any reasonable person will not prefer to do things with the northerners than a brother from hell

2 Likes

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by ehikwe22: 2:00pm On Mar 10
Keep deceiving yourself. Abi no be these Hausa people wen dey look for any available way to fleece, con, steal, rob and burgle people? Northern honesty has been a lie that's been peddled for too long.

1 Like

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by derecho(m): 2:03pm On Mar 10
Including washing fruits with dirty gutter water in Lagos?
Being honest is a person virtue abeg.
Maybe, the most naive yes but they aren't honest.

Before you say it's their culture, remember that Nigeria is where it is largely because of our greedy rulers 90% of who are Northerners

1 Like

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by Aboks(m): 2:03pm On Mar 10
title of this story
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by Natbrowny: 2:05pm On Mar 10
Reduction of 50kg to make it 48kg.

Happens everywhere in NIGERIA.

Northern Traders no dey part of Nigeria again abi?

Trash
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by tommy589(m): 2:07pm On Mar 10
Trust ke!

Perhaps those they have encountered. They are as crooked as any southern crook

1 Like

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by lwisee: 2:19pm On Mar 10
True talk

Our brothers from the land of the rising sun will call a 20,000 item 80,000.
Once he successfully cheats you and sell it at 45k, he will go to church to do thanksgiving.

1 Like

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by Emyogalanya: 2:28pm On Mar 10
What about those that buys and sells iron condemn that will always tell you that your metals has no worth and won't buy it but will steal the same items if you keep it carelessjy and look away

1 Like

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by Emyogalanya: 2:33pm On Mar 10
lwisee:
True talk

Our brothers from the land of the rising sun will call a 20,000 item 80,000.
Once he successfully cheats you and sell it at 45k, he will go to church to do thanksgiving.
Rising sun kee you dia
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by commoditiesnig: 2:55pm On Mar 10
Very right. Anytime I'm in Abuja i really admire the business sincerity of our northern brothers

More than once i've been called back to collect "change" upon buying items from them. The only other place I witnessed this is abroad

Truly most Northerns are honest folks!
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by RenaissanceGuy: 3:07pm On Mar 10
The same people who hiked the price of rice from ₦25k to ₦60k+, consequently affecting the prices of other food stuff? To an extent, the extremely religious ones have integrity, but so do born again Christians.
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by lwisee: 5:42pm On Mar 10
Emyogalanya:
Rising sun kee you dia

I reject it

1 Like

Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by jmoore(m): 6:01pm On Mar 10
Till they accuse you of blasphemy, millions of them will pick stones to stone you to death.

Nonsense and babablu.

There are honest people in all tribe. None is more honest than the other.
Re: Northern Traders Are The Most Honest’, Nigerians Extol by DevilsEqual(m): 6:30pm On Mar 10
I noticed that Yorubas on this thread all agreed to this while all the igbos here have one or two distinct things to say about this

Like, to even praise good thing hard una cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Activist Fawaz Alabi Found Dead In Lagos Drowning / Alleged N109b Fraud: I Thought I Won’t Be Prosecuted – Ex-AGF Idris / Ondo Guber: APC Primary Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.