Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,183 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking (5291 Views)

France: Shooting, Hostage-taking happening now in Eastern Paris / Hostage Taking Situation In Sydney Australia / Hostage Taking: Nigeria Ranks 4th In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by meonbooty: 2:51am On Nov 14, 2011
[size=18pt]ALAIGBO RANKED 4TH GLOBALLY IN HOSTAGE TAKING[/size]

[img]http://www.channelstv.com/images/newsImages/nigeria_independence.jpg
[/img]
The American Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has given Nigeria the fourth position in its global ranking in Hostage taking and kidnapping.

The FBI did not disclose the three countries ahead of Nigeria in the ranking, but it explained that the cases of hostage taking across the world have been under-reported.

Speaking in Lagos at a lecture organized by the Hubert H Humbert Fellowship Program Alumni Annual lecture at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), an FBI agent, Ms Jennifer Dent, disclosed the ranking of Nigeria as number four in the world in hostage taking in Lagos, also identified Nigeria as the greatest threat to cyber security in Africa.

[size=18pt]Hostage taking in Nigeria assumed a frightening dimension in the wake of the militancy in the Niger Delta, leading to incessant kidnapping of expatriates working with oil firms and affluent Nigerians or their relations.
[/size]
[size=18pt]Commercial hostage takers kidnapping people later emerged and the scourge spread to the south-east[/size].

According to local news agency, The Vanguard, Dent shared the story of how her experiences in Nigeria has been quite unlike any other, having worked in nine different African countries including Rwanda.

Posted to Nigeria in 2009, Dent recalled how her first Christmas vacation in the United States was rudely interrupted by a call with the unexpected news: A Nigerian youth, Farouk Abdulmutallab, had just attempted to detonate an explosive on board a Detroit, USA bound aircraft on Christmas day.

The FBI agent said the experience of the September 11, 2001 bombings of the World Trade Center in New York had people blaming the lack of cooperation of the various security agencies for the mishap. That consciousness, according to her, is therefore brought to bear upon the training provided to Nigerian security personnel by the FBI working in Nigeria. Fielding questions, Dent gave kudos to the EFCC, whom she said has been working tirelessly to improve Nigeria’s image.

Another United States Consulate official who spoke in a lecture entitled The Challenges of Law Enforcement in Nigeria: Taming the culture of Impunity, was its regional security officer, Brian Buchnam, whose previous international postings included Haiti, Iraq and Rwanda, where he worked with Dent. Bucknam also shared his experiences while working in the police in the United States, saying working in the police department of a major city is “nothing like the movies in Hollywood”. He concluded, however, that nothing prepared him for the “Al Qaeda in Lagos”.

According to him, many officers join the police force with great passion only to have it diminished fifteen years down the line due to frustration. Furthermore, he expressed faith in the Nigeria Police, and enjoined fresh entrants to “Join the police for a higher purpose”.

“We have a lot of power. We can arrest people, we can kill people if it is justified, therefore we have to remember that with great power comes great responsibility… Character is what you do when no one is looking. Let it mean something if you make an oath. Police is a direct reflection of the community”. He added that police in a modern society needs a lot of skills because their job requires them to wear a lot of hats in different situations, including those of a doctor and marriage counselor.

http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=30141&cat=Local
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:54am On Nov 14, 2011
I sure wuda luv to knw the first three
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Kobojunkie: 3:01am On Nov 14, 2011
a) Some place in Afghanistan
b) Some place in mexico
c) And probably some other place in mexico . . . .

It does not matter what position, this is bad.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Francis5: 3:04am On Nov 14, 2011
How do you divorce the kidnapping taking place in alaigbo with that taking place in South South, South West and North? Or you think gbomogbomo is not kidnapping?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by ikeyman00(m): 3:06am On Nov 14, 2011
@@@@@@@@@

i have begining to believe the US is on mission to distroy Nigeria!!!

rubbish!!

pakistan;colombia,ur advance brazil;somalia;etc couldnt get any better

god pass dem!!

the really see united Nigeria as a threat!!

with time their intention will be obvious!!

god pass dem
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by EkoIle1: 3:14am On Nov 14, 2011
lmao,

na the US dey kidnap your own people and pocketing the ransom,

It's never their fault, it's always other people
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Francis5: 3:16am On Nov 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

lmao,

na the US dey kidnap your own people and pocketing the ransom,

It's never their fault, it's always other people

Who dey kidnap gbomogbomo?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by EkoIle1: 3:29am On Nov 14, 2011
When was the last time I quoted you or offered your idiocy any attention on NL?

Just to let you know, you are one of the worthless scum bags I ignore on NL.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Francis5: 3:33am On Nov 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

When was the last time I quoted you or offered your idiocy any attention on NL?

LWKMD. See this cockroach. Who cares about your jaundiced feeling? I ask you again, what is gbomogbomo?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by EkoIle1: 3:50am On Nov 14, 2011
No wonder I ignore this can't read and comprehend re-tard. Are you finding it difficult to read and comprehend the highlighted?

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Francis5: 4:01am On Nov 14, 2011
^^^^^
Your purported ignorance is completely worthless, you eternally ignorant m.o.r.o.n.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 4:08am On Nov 14, 2011
this is hard to believe. What hostage cases have we heard about, that took us to number 4? Iffy iffy.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 4:09am On Nov 14, 2011
Oh. . . .  all those kidnapping cases.[size=18pt] Lawd have mercy.[/size] Christmas don come o, we go reach number 2 when Dec comes.

That's why I say Ekiti anyday kiss
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by ebere1712: 4:56am On Nov 14, 2011
Just the shit the USA government and people are doing officially is enough to make Nigeria's problems look like child's play. These guys are big a*ss jokers.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Kobojunkie: 4:59am On Nov 14, 2011
^^ Tell that to my uncle to who lost his wife 3 years ago to senseless violence and almost got kidnapped on his way back from calabar some months ago. Grow a brain and stop differing blame for what is is right in front of you and obvious failures of those you call leaders.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:01am On Nov 14, 2011
Gbam
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Rhino5dm: 5:04am On Nov 14, 2011
Gaddammit! We are proud, we won medals in kidnapping and hostage taking.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Kobojunkie: 5:09am On Nov 14, 2011
Speak for yourself!! I know it is easy to politicize this, and those of you, whose mothers and fathers never really taught them well to begin with, take it as an opportunity to take a jab at those whom you HATE/DETEST for no real reasons except for them being from different states or ethnic background, but the reality is those affected are living, breeding beings who bleed red blood like you, that are being kidnapped and killed here.  I sincerely hope that the Good Lord does not choose to visit upon you, and your family, all the very same, so that you all get a taste of how bad the situation is and how bad is bad, no matter the sex, creed or religion of the affected.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by meonbooty: 5:16am On Nov 14, 2011
^^^

Why are you getting so emotional.

Time of the month?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by dayokanu(m): 8:54am On Nov 14, 2011
Odikwa serious
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 14, 2011
There are some places I wouldnt be cut dead in (pun intended).
keep on coming with the warnings, Western World, I need to know where to step my foot in whenever I visit Naija kiss

Wouldnt surprise me if Mexico Govt and the Italian Mafia gives a warning against visiting nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 14, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Gaddammit! We are proud, we won medals in kidnapping and hostage taking.

Thanks to our ibo and Niger deltan brothers who have taken kidnapping as a means of survival.cursed tribes !
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by ektbear: 9:09am On Nov 14, 2011
What does "odikwa" mean? 'very' in Igbo or something?

I've heard the phrase "odikwa risky" before and seem to have guessed wrongly at its meaning.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by jason123: 9:23am On Nov 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Thanks to our ibo and Niger deltan brothers who have taken kidnapping as a means of survival.cursed tribes !

STFU YOU LOSER! Bastar.ds!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:28am On Nov 14, 2011
jason123:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

una for leave Nigerdelta out of this assault! see trouble! cool
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2011
jason123:

You guys have tarnished nigeria name and that is the bitter truth you should live with !
Bliss4Lyfe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Niger delta started it maybe out of frustration but ibos commercialized it !
una for leave Nigerdelta out of this assault! see trouble! cool

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:36am On Nov 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

You guys have tarnished nigeria name and that is the bitter truth you should live with !
joblessness!! na disease. Bluetooth hating is now a full time job for u? SMH! embarassed
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 14, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

joblessness!! na disease. Bluetooth hating is now a full time job for u? SMH! embarassed
I don't hate ibos,i'm just being sincere with the real truth.as per job level,i work in alaba market. grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Beaf: 9:44am On Nov 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

If not Niger Delta, where una for de see money tif? De money una tif sote, we de among di most corrupt kontri's of di World. I hail una!
Especially, as the last time I like looked all states were begging for the money sourced in the Niger Delta; dude, you should build a shrine to engage in family worship of those who put your bread on the table.

What does your state produce?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by lafuria1(m): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2011
instead of findin a way 2 call our govt 2 order so as 2 solve d prblm instead doin usual regional bashin. Nigeria is d place where d govt expect pple 2 be law abidin and blamin dem 4 dia own insecurity. Whether d rankin is 2 high does not eliminate d fact dat there are many un reported cases in d media.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Beaf: 10:08am On Nov 14, 2011
The poor ranking is a call that the average Nigerian would be deaf to. We will just carry on being a wicked society where every neighbour is corrupt and where everyone points fingers at others, but no one is ready to roll up their sleeves.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 14, 2011
I would put them in the following order.

1. Mexico
2. Somalia
3. Dunno
4. Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Woes: A Problem Of Leadership Or 'followership'. A Reexamination / What Is United In United Nations UN / Photos: Madonna University Builds Longest/largest Exams Hall In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.