Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,522 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? (944 Views)

10 States In Nigeria With Bigger Economy Than Some African Countries-Osibanjo / Samuel Ortom: Nigeria’s Worst Military Govt Better Than Buhari Administration / Buhari’s Minister Of Defence Served In Abacha Govt, Backed June 12 Annulment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by ibechris(m): 8:27am On Mar 16
During his regime,he never owed workers especially teachers.

He took power when the inflation was at 54% that both Babangida and Ernest Shonekan left it from 1993 to 8% in 1998 when Abdulasami took over from him.

Why was Abacha excellent in handling the economy than most of our civilian leaders today?

Let us discuss.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Ofunaofu: 8:43am On Mar 16
Coolestguy2023:
All this obi people just no get sense. Opening rubbish thread all around NL

Take it easy. OP, ask a simple question that requires a simple answer, or better yet, ignore it if you have nothing to contribute.Β 

OP is not the reason for your frustrations.

Channel your frustrations to the appropriate quarters.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by ibechris(m): 8:44am On Mar 16
Coolestguy2023:
All this obi people just no get sense. Opening rubbish thread all around NL

If u are smart and sensible...u will know that this is not about politics, that time has gone but statistical fact that shouldn't be ignored.

There is no where I wrote that I am obidient just that,tribalism is ur watch word and can not make u see how bad u have fared under ur useless emilokan.

I wonder how u guys support criminals in power. Even if u are my uncle...if u are not doing well,I can't help but tell u the truth.

Amala boys,even if Tinubu give u shits,u guys will eat and still be looking for Obidients to vent ur frustration.

Suffer head

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by babajero(m): 9:14am On Mar 16
ibechris:

He took power when the inflation was at 54% that both Babangida and Ernest Shonekan left it from 1993 to 8% in 1998 when Abdulasami took over from him.

Why was Abacha excellent in handling the economy than most of our civilian leaders today?

Let us discuss.
All Northern leaders and most especially buhari came intentionally to destroy the economy of Nigeria just the way they did the northern economy, that is the way the fulanis have done the northern economy thereby keeping northerners to their mercy. And it is a shame that they are using so called southern leaders to perpetrate these evils.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by ivolt: 9:18am On Mar 16
Abacha wasn't better.
It is obvious you don't understand the topic you created and to make
matters worse, you added lies to your ignorance.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by SalamRushdie: 9:23am On Mar 16
Because he wasn't as greedy as all of them ...my Dad served under Abacha as a junior officer when he was GOC and my dad told my even as a junior officer he had built house before Abacha ..infact Abacha called him one day and asked is it true that you young officers already have houses and my father said yes ..it was at that point Abacha made up his mind to build his first house ..this is a true story.... Criminals in the PTF scheme would go onto to loot billions of dollars and hide abroad and claim they were Abacha looot ...ask yourself how did Abacha that never traveled abroad as president go and open all those accounts ?

The criminals were in the PTF program

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by ibechris(m): 9:26am On Mar 16
Coolestguy2023:

If you think i will come to your level to behave like an animal like you then you are a joke of a person

Guy,u have no levels I swear. Na mouth una dey get.

Being a supporter of this govt alone makes u dull.

I don't need to tell u anything....the truth is,u no get any level and u lack sense.

Shameless!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by ibechris(m): 9:28am On Mar 16
I totally agree with u.

SalamRushdie:
Because he wasn't as greedy as all of them ...my Dad served under Abacha as a junior officer when he was GOC and my dad told my even as a junior officer he had built house before Abacha ..infact Abacha called him one day and asked is it true that you young officers already have houses and my father said yes ..it was at that point Abacha made up his mind to build his first house ..this is a true story.... Criminals in the PTF scheme would go onto to loot billions of dollars and hide abroad and claim they were Abacha looot ...ask yourself how did Abacha that never traveled abroad as president go and open all those accounts ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Great0ne1: 9:38am On Mar 16
ibechris:

Let us discuss.
Civilian looters, not leaders

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Jogs1900: 9:41am On Mar 16
ibechris:
I totally agree with u.
Abacha was a disciplined soldier..He wasn't a weakling..He ruled with decree...During military regime, nothing like human right..You cant use the court.to delay or circumvent justice..Yes...He sabi that soldier work very well....Imagine all these politicians that are always using court to delay justice in corruption cases...If it was during Abacha, the 70bn efcc accused Yahaya Bello of embezzling would have been returned to the govt coffers or he risks being imprisoned for life.I know some bank executives that were jailed for currency raketering during Abachas era.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by VinnyBaba: 9:45am On Mar 16
Comparing Abacha to Tinibu or Buhari is like comparing ShopRite's bread to Kpokpogari and Madiga! sad undecided

Abacha is the BEST Military Head of state Nigeria had.
His only Faults was Human Right abuse!πŸ˜’

Under Abacha, our Economy was very Stable and his 36 State Military Governors were Up and doing.

Is it not Under Abacha that Lagos had Buba Marwa? πŸ˜πŸ˜•

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Beautifulday: 9:46am On Mar 16
VinnyBaba:

Comparing Abacha to Tinibu or Buhari is like comparing ShopRite's bread to Kpokpogari and Madiga! sad undecided

Under Abacha, our Economy was very Stable and his 36 State Military Governors were Up and doing.

Why do you think it's like that? What is the reason?

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Beautifulday: 9:49am On Mar 16
SalamRushdie:

If Abacha was under sanction from the US and Britain, how did he loot these monies?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by malali: 10:18am On Mar 16
THERE WAS ONLY ONE MAJOR THIEF.

IF YOU STOLE MORE THAN HIM OR CLOSE, YOU COULD LOSE YOUR LIFE.

THESE DAYS WE HAVE ALI KPABIO AND THE 40 THIEVES...STEALING FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Sannisege: 10:20am On Mar 16
Under Abacha, Nigerians were cooking with saw dusts called Abacha stove. All these low-lives that have no single sense of history opening thread up and down.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Coolestguy2023: 10:52am On Mar 16
ibechris:

Guy,u have no levels I swear. Na mouth una dey get.

Being a supporter of this govt alone makes u dull.

I don't need to tell u anything....the truth is,u no get any level and u lack sense.

Shameless!

I will leave you to your useless foolish life. I don't respond much to clowns and failed, hungry and wretched people like you.
Note: don't waste your useless life replying me because i will not read the rubbish you will be typing from your empty brain.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Coolestguy2023: 2:00pm On Mar 16
Beautifulday:

I meant your useless olosho mother.

Oh, you mean your olosho mother that i f*ck last night at the brothel close to your house? Omo, your mother toto dey smell o

9 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Beautifulday: 7:24pm On Mar 16
Coolestguy2023:

Oh, you mean your olosho mother that i f*ck last night at the brothel close to your house? Omo, your mother toto dey smell o

Lol! So you dey go watch your olosho mother for the hotel near una house as guys dey take turns on her to give you food?

Guy find work help your useless mother nah.

Why are you a useless son like your useless father?
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by emkz: 7:35pm On Mar 16
It is simple.

Abacha ensured that government was feared. He had control over everything.

Infact, anyone who threatened Nigeria or the government, Abacha either killed them or framed them for committing crimes and locked them up, which were all extreme measures.

He went after the elites and they feared him.

When IMF and World Bank sanctioned him, he called their bluff. He refused to ask them for loans. World leaders tried to reason with him, including the Pope. Abacha did not bend.

How did Abacha run government?

He appointed solid brains and listened to them argue during PRC meetings, while chewing kolanut and sipping coffee. After arguments, Abacha went with whoever canvassed the best argument.

Apart from being a kleptomaniac, he was one of the best leaders Nigeria had.

Now, Nigeria is not prepared for the Abacha-style. We value our freedom too much.

One mistake I think Abacha made is that he did not restructure the country. He divided the country into six geopolitical zones. He could have used them as administrative zones, given them resource control and collapsed the states. Any geopolitical zone with a need for states could have been required to fund them with their resources.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Bridget95(f): 8:10pm On Mar 16
VinnyBaba:

I am even surprised that Abacha achieved more under sanctions

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by adikings22: 9:01pm On Mar 16
This OP is an Hypocrite! He decided to mention Tinubu and Buhari in the headline and now said 'most of' in the write up itself.

To set the records straight, Abacha's reign in Nigeria is far better than any of the democratically elected President, including OBJ. For all the 5-6 years Abacha ruled, do you know that dollar stood at N21.8? It was very stable there meaning Nigeria economy under Abacha was quite stable.

Meanwhile, Obasanjo met it at that same N21.8 in 1999 and by year 2020, it was already N89, almost 400% devaluation.

See, let me tell you something, OBJ laid the foundation for the bad economy of Nigeria. That's just it.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by VinnyBaba: 10:27pm On Mar 16
Bridget95:
I am even surprised that Abacha achieved more under sanctions

That's because he was Intelligent and a Goal GETTER. smiley

Unlike Clueless Buhari or tinibu that has filled his govt with mostly Overrated, INCOMPETENT Y0rubas. embarassed undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Gossiphub: 10:40pm On Mar 16
emkz:
It is simple.

Abacha ensured that government was feared. He had control over everything.

Infact, anyone who threatened Nigeria or the government, Abacha either killed them or framed them for committing crimes and locked them up, which were all extreme measures.

He went after the elites and they feared him.

When IMF and World Bank sanctioned him, he called their bluff. He refused to ask them for loans. World leaders tried to reason with him, including the Pope. Abacha did not bend.

How did Abacha run government?

He appointed solid brains and listened to them argue during PRC meetings, while chewing kolanut and sipping coffee. After arguments, Abacha went with whoever canvassed the best argument.

Apart from being a kleptomaniac, he was one of the best leaders Nigeria had.

Now, Nigeria is not prepared for the Abacha-style. We value our freedom too much.

One mistake I think Abacha made is that he did not restructure the country. He divided the country into six geopolitical zones. He could have used them as administrative zones, given them resource control and collapsed the states. Any geopolitical zone with a need for states could have been required to fund them with their resources.

This is exactly the comment I have been looking for.

Abacha had excellent technocrats. His minister of Finance/Economy was too good. The man was busy with his job and never cared about the politics just as current crop of ministers do.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by LaRosa01: 3:17am On Mar 17
the money abroad was a covert operation,back then when Nigerians Intel agency use to work,the money where kept under Nigerians in the diaspora for Nigeria in the event we went under international sanctions we had money out to maintain international trade.alot of senior officers know this and traditional rules,they know because Abacha told them.yet I was surpise when the western countries turned it into Abacha loot.my father served under Abacha so I know,and he told me Nigeria always hate people who fight for them and love people who sell them out

SalamRushdie:

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by ElSudani: 4:32am On Mar 17
SalamRushdie:

And then he stashed away so much money everywhere that some are still being recovered till today.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Jlow2: 5:33am On Mar 17
The National Assembly is the biggest problem of Nigeria in this system of government, they re just there to loot

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 5:55am On Mar 17
A lot of people have bad memories.

The economy under abacha was a mess..full stop.

Sure naira was 21 to the dollar, on the official rate. On the parallel rate or unofficial market it was 81 naira at the end of his regime.

Most people were poor. And the economy was overreliant on oil money to the point that we had about 97 percent of our income from oil by 1996. And most people were suffering. And we still had issues with power supply and job creation back then. And workers still went on strike and government won't listen to them at all.

Yes, he kept fuel and so forth at 11 naira a liter. That's nice, but it added to the debt we had then

I won't even bother you about the massive repression and refusal to honor June 12. Yes, abiola was a corrupt Louche and a religious bigot,.but he was voted in by the majority and abacha used the north to take.over

People who did not live under abacha would think that times were good. They weren't

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Will Be The Next Good President? / How Will Win The 2007 Presidential Election On Saturday / Change = Bottom Up.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.