Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,554 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ (8247 Views)

APC Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello / Photos Of Nnamdi Kanu In Court Toady: ''I Have No Confidence In This Court'' / PDP Makes U-turn, Passes Confidence Vote On Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by hakanai(m): 12:37am On Nov 16, 2011
•Mark staves off ‘no confidence’ vote on President
Senators move against Jonathan
•Senators meet with security chiefs over Boko Haram, others
From ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOYI, Abuja
Wednesday, November 16 , 2011

David Mark
More Stories on This Section

But for the Senate President David Mark’s intervention yesterday, lawmakers in the Upper Legislative Chamber would have served President Goodluck Jonathan a “no confidence” vote. The Senators especially from the opposition parties were angry that the Presidency was not doing enough to stop growing insecurity especially its alleged inability to have answers to the Boko Haram menace.

The Islamist sect unleashed terror on Damaturu and Potiskum in Yobe State on Sallah weekend, November 4 and 5, killing over 150 people.

Behind closed doors in the National Assembly, Abuja yesterday, the angry Senators had harsh words for the President and his security chiefs over alleged failure to tame the Boko Haram members.

Sources present in the closed-door session noted that the anger against the President and his service chiefs started with scathing comments from members of the opposition parties and at a point, some even called for the passage of a vote of “no confidence” on Jonathan.

“For the first time in this chamber, Senators were very angry with the President and the security chiefs over the growing insecurity in the country. For the first time since 1999, Abuja had been under siege
“The Senate President quickly intervened on behalf of Jonathan and explained that should the chamber go ahead with the vote of no confidence that could be misconstrued to be an impeachment move from the Senate.
“At the end, reason prevailed and it was resolved that the Committees on Police Affairs, Security and National Intelligence, Defence and Army, Air Force, Navy and Interior meet with security chiefs on the matter, ” the sources said

Daily Sun investigations revealed that at the end of the plenary yesterday, the service chiefs responded to the summons and held a meeting in the office of a ranking Senator on the Fourth Floor of the Senate New Wing.
Should that meeting fail to yield the desired result, “another meeting,” sources told Daily Sun, “would be convened in the Presidential Villa.”

The expanded meeting, it was learnt, would also discuss details concerning the 2012 Budget.
Opening the session, Mark announced that “the Senate in closed-door session discussed matters of national importance affecting national security and other general issues.”

Regardless, Senate spokesman, Enyinnaya Abaribe, told newsmen at the end of the session that the chamber reviewed the present security situation in the country and has resolved to continue to dialogue with security chiefs.
Senator Abaribe pleaded with Nigerians to give the security agencies more time to tackle the matter.

“There was an executive session that was mainly concerned with the matters of national security. All of us are aware of the situation of things today in Nigeria and we want to also let you know that the National Assembly will continue to engage with the executive with regards to national security and I think the discussion is on-going to ensure that each and every one of us lives in Nigeria that is free from the current problem that we are undergoing and we hope that every Nigerian will be more concerned about our security and that is exactly what we are doing.

“On the kind of manual security measures in place presently, you will recall that not too long ago, we had an executive interaction with all the various heads of security organisations in Nigeria and this discussion had been on-going and part of what we did today at the executive session was a review of all these measures that are being taken.
“I think also that there is an on-going review which means that the measures will continue to be upgraded and improve with time. We are asking for a little patience and we know that things will get better.
“I think we have been having on-going discussions. The committees will engage with various security agencies and will bring report to us,” he said.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Beaf: 12:54am On Nov 16, 2011
Sources present in the closed-door session noted that the anger against the President and his service chiefs started with scathing comments from members of the opposition parties. . .

CPC has always been threatening crap with their 3 or 4 senators.
It must feel horrible to seek relevance in a losers party.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 16, 2011
and how does it feel to be the mouthpiece of the most incompetent president in the history of nigeria?
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by egift(m): 2:24am On Nov 16, 2011
Beaf:

Beaf, pork, 504, Isi Ewu, Peper soup, kpomo, turckey, kanda - abi waitin be your name, how does it feel to keep sucking the fresh air from that black armpits of Jonathan?
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by jumobi1(m): 2:35am On Nov 16, 2011
Mark wants to run next. If GEJ is removed, doesn't that = Sambo?
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Beaf: 3:10am On Nov 16, 2011
oyb:

and how does it feel to be the mouthpiece of the most incompetent president in the history of nigeria?

egift:

Beaf, pork, 504, Isi Ewu, Peper soup, kpomo, turckey, kanda - abi waitin be your name, how does it feel to keep sucking the fresh air from that black armpits of Jonathan?

Same old foolishness, day in, day out! cry cry cry
Don't you people get tired of being so foolish, that you can't even contribute to a thread.

Help yourselves to more inventive foolishness grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin:

Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by youngmonie: 3:58am On Nov 16, 2011
Beaf:

Last I checked CPC wer not the only members of OPPOSITION in the senate!!
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by egift(m): 4:01am On Nov 16, 2011
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by dayokanu(m): 5:38am On Nov 16, 2011
Even clueless senators now know Retardeen is the most useless thing to ever happen to Nigeria
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Pukkah: 6:12am On Nov 16, 2011
Mr Jonathan's inaction and obvious lack of proactiveness on urgent and crucial national issues has become a present and clear danger to Nigerians. We must speak out else this danger becomes a reality. And in that unwanted circumstance who would be the greatest losers - Nigerians.

Jonathan, shape up or ship out!
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by doctokwus: 6:57am On Nov 16, 2011
D senate is doing d work its supposed to,feeling d pulse of d nation& transmitting same to d executive.Anybody that chooses to ignore d grave concerns concerning happenins in d country won't b doing d GEJ govt any good,I know d man himself will b feeling exasperated wt happenings since he assumed office as he sometimes admits.
It can also b discerned that some of d people mr pres thought were committed& competent in d management of issues are d ones trying to embarass his govt& project it as unable to steer d ship of d country.
My advice:GEJ is d one feeling d heat& to lose d most if things continue d way or evn get worse as is possible looking at d horizon,thus he shd take d bull by d horn& become d pragmatic leader,ruthless to all those who clearly are doing things to make him fail.For a start,he shd promptly sack d person that organised that shambolic national honors award;that shd send a message to other incompetent fools he surrounds himself with.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by DrummaBoy(m): 7:14am On Nov 16, 2011
To improve security in the land Mr Ringim is awarded national honors
Beaf, I guess d CPC suggested too, abi?
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Pukkah: 7:24am On Nov 16, 2011
How can anyone in his right senses give an award to Ringim? Do they want to drive this country to extinction? What is Ringim's achievement in the police? What has been the security situation of the country under him? Is it even proper to hand out awards to serving public officials?

Did Jonathan in good faith hand over the national award to Ringim? What manner of president is Mr Jonathan? I'm very worried about the trend of things.

Jonathan is demonstrating (day by day) that he lacks the competence to lead this country. All hail the 'transformational' President!
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by kokoA(m): 7:52am On Nov 16, 2011
lwkmd grin
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Demdem(m): 8:06am On Nov 16, 2011
The Retardeen is fast becoming a threat himself to national security. No confidence vote isn't sufficient, he should be impeached immediately.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Hatitude: 8:09am On Nov 16, 2011
Pukkah:

How can anyone in his right senses give an award to Ringim? Do they want to drive this country to extinction? What is Ringim's achievement in the police? What has been the security situation of the country under him? Is it even proper to hand out awards to serving public officials?

Did Jonathan in good faith hand over the national award to Ringim? What manner of president is Mr Jonathan? I'm very worried about the trend of things.

Jonathan is demonstrating (day by day) that he lacks the competence to lead this country. All hail the 'transformational' President!

Ringim was given an award because he earned it. It was a National Dishonour Award. If the prefix DIS was missed out, don't be offended, these things happen in Naija. As you must have heard, there weren't even enough medals for the awardees on the day.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by 9ijaMan: 8:25am On Nov 16, 2011
If, according to BEAF, CPC members of the Senate were the ones who raised the issues, it seems those Senators and their party are just about the only sensible ones in the Senate. Just imagine a Senate without the CPC guys!

Mr Abati of NL (aka Beaf) you goofed again on this one. What I expect the CPC guys to do next time is to move for the impeachment of that inept fisherman in Aso Rock.

It must be really terrible being Beaf o!
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Pukkah: 8:27am On Nov 16, 2011
Demdem:

The Retardeen is fast becoming a threat himself to national security. No confidence vote isn't sufficient, he should be impeached immediately.

Yes, Mr President has become a clear and present danger to Nigerians and to himself. The sooner we realize that, the better for us and the country. There is now enough reason to get agitated about the direction (or lack of it) of the country under Mr Jonathan.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by cjfavour(m): 9:04am On Nov 16, 2011
ABUJA UNDERSIEGE. SENATE NOW INCHARGE.gej sidelined. HOW'S D HEADLINE?
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by DaDoctor: 9:38am On Nov 16, 2011
GOOD LUCK. LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG SINCE THE SEN REPRESENTING THOSE BEHIND THE ORDEAL IS YANNING TRASH.

I BLESS U WITH LIVER AND COURAGE MAN
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by executinal(m): 9:45am On Nov 16, 2011
They can't stop you GEJ. GOD is behind you. Crush them all
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by midep: 9:56am On Nov 16, 2011
Beaf ur real name is FOOL (4 WORDS), BEAF (4 words)

4 once in ur life time, accept that u and ur retarded GEJ is a failure, apologize and Resign,
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Ufeolorun(m): 9:57am On Nov 16, 2011
Finally Mr. Gridlock is about to wake up.

For those of us  with maths incapacity.

Cpc+Acn+ Radical northern wing of the Pdp= probable Impeachment .

Lol!
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by kings112(m): 10:01am On Nov 16, 2011
What is vote of no confidence?
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 16, 2011
I already cast my own vote of no confidence since June the following month he was inaugurated
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by toffee2lov: 10:08am On Nov 16, 2011
cry cry cry cry Sometime i felt like crying when i read some report on the page of news paper, when will this country be delivered from the hand of these EVIL MEN and WOMEN of low respect for humanity that are claiming been our leader, If some senators are waking up from their sleep by noticing the state of insecurity in Nigeria and threat the present government had subjected us to , I think this senator are just trying to stand out from these so called looterslators, given us GEJ is the worst thing OBJ even done to manking in this part of the world, I thing the so call South West best party ACN never see any reason for the move. kudus to to guys of CPC i dey feel them
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by 9jaIhail(m): 10:12am On Nov 16, 2011
to those of you who is clamoring for the impeachment of gej,make sure he is replaced by a ss/se person. fail to do so we all will believe the northerners and south west has succeeded using boko haram to discredit south south first ever president, look we are tired of been ruled by this so call north/s west without positive result. i wonder why we the youth of this country is so blind to see the foolish ans selfish interest of the northern politicians.i won't be surprise to hear that niger bridge has been sink into the river niger as soon as u guys succeeded replacing gej with any foolish boko haram sponsor and that would be the end of nigeria existence as a nation.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 16, 2011
Beaf:

Same old foolishness, day in, day out! cry cry cry
Don't you people get tired of being so foolish, that you can't even contribute to a thread.

Help yourselves to more inventive foolishness grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin:

It appears Satis-Beaf roll has recovered from his KGB miscue on Political Boko Haram.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by cold(m): 10:47am On Nov 16, 2011
After the UN House bombing,the president came out gunz blazing,firing on all cylinders;

Kizilala:

The Federal Government has sensationally disclosed that it now has strong evidence on the identity of those involved in the recurrent bomb attacks across the country.  Following this, President Goodluck Jonathan has given an express order to security agencies to go after these terrorists and their sponsors, staing that they were testing his resolve to deal decisively with them.

Speaking, in Abuja, yesterday, while launching the new national driver’s license and number plates, facilitated by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Jonathan expressed regrets that since October 1, 2010, terrorists group have consistently detonated bombs in parts of the country and inflicted the nation and its citizens with undeserved and untold sufferings, pains and sorrows.

He said he was provoked by the last week Friday’s bombing of the United Nations House in Abuja, and has, therefore, resolved to place the terrorists and their sponsors where they belong.

Consequent upon this, Jonathan said he had already mapped out strategies and was turning the edge of his sword to crush all those who have sworn to destabilise and divide the nation under his leadership.

Said Jonathan: “Today’s launch has acquired greatest significance, following last Friday’s unprovoked attack, which led to the loss of lives and has left, in history, gory images for the threat terrorism now poses to the peace and security of our nation and the safety of our citizens. Since the last bombing and the October1, 2010, I had directed the hastening of efforts to build a credible database of drivers and vehicles in order to improve public safety. The importance of this project is reaffirmed by the consistence use of vehicles in the conduct of the recent bombing episodes.

“Let me use this occasion to reassure Nigerians and members of the international communities that we now have strong links as to those involved in this terror war on Nigeria and Nigerians. I have directed security operatives to go after them, no matter where they may be hiding. Also, I am using this opportunity to warn that those who choose to hide under our new freedom to perpetrate evil against our people shall have no hiding place. This administration is fully determined and able to deal with all threats and agents of instability, who continue to test the resolve of our nation and its democratic institutions and leadership.

“As president and chief security officer of the nation, I will employ every means and instrument at my disposal to secure this nation against forces of evil, which seeks to divide and sabotage our country. There shall be no sacred cows in our efforts to expose, contain and defeat this network of terror and its sponsors. I’ve directed a review of our national security architecture to lay its emphasise on intelligence and citizens’ participation in security surveillance.

Almost 3 months later,not even one of these so called sponsors has been arrested.Boko haram has become even more daring and GEJ seem to have lost the plot.It's a sorry state of affairs
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by kunlekunle: 11:02am On Nov 16, 2011
I told GEJ last month to appoint OBJ as the Prime minister.
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Okijajuju1(m): 11:13am On Nov 16, 2011
Vote of No confidence abi!?

We shall see how that plays out!!

Jonathan is not going anywhere!! Chikina!
Re: David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 16, 2011

Kai, e remain small,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Picture Of Car Bomb Explosion In Lagos; Another Boko Haram Attack? / Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? / Heavy Military Presence In Onitsha Today , Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.