Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,924 members, 7,810,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? (19688 Views)

NCC Reveals What’ll Happen To People Without NIN After October 31 Deadline / Which Type Of Android Phone Can I Get On A 15K Budget / What Type Of Phone Are You Using At The Moment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:36am On Mar 28
Yesterday I bought alot of bags of water from a truck road side guy and did a transfer to him which he checked and acknowledged .
I drove off with my car only to get an alert that the money bounced back.

I had to make a u turn to meet up with the guy that I bought the water from and told him the money bounced back and we had to go to the nearest POS centre to withdraw cash for the payment.

I gave him my complementary card and left.
The water seller guy called me this morning and thanked me for my magnanimity and told me he had another loss yesterday and it would have been catastrophic if he had lost mine too.
It still baffles me that in the year 2024 ,transfer transactions are bouncing back and I do wonder if such occurrence happen abroad?

32 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 8:39am On Mar 28
He checked and confirmed? How? On your phone or on his own phone?

The transaction will not automatically reverse if he confirmed it on his own phone. If the confirmation was on your own phone, the money could automatically bounce back based on atomicity principles.

If you ever get an automatic reversal (credit alert) for your successful payment (that is if the recipient's account has been credited with the money you sent), the automatic reversal you get will not debit the recipient's account. The bank is the one losing the money you got in the reversal. And in this case, the bank may later debit you to recover the money.

RenaissanceGuy:
Not true. A man once narrated how he sent money to his younger brother and the brother called him saying the money was too small and doesn't warrant him thanking him. Few minutes later or so, the transaction reversed grin.
This cannot happen automatically. Someone initiated the reversal. Your claim is like saying a delivered mail automatically reversed. It is even a crime against the recipient. You can sue the bank.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:40am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
On my phone as his boss receives the alert

3 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 8:41am On Mar 28
guobe:

On my phone as his boss receives the alert
His boss received alert for the payment you made?
Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:43am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
His boss received alert for the payment you made?
Any payment made is received by his boss.
All he does is to check the debit alert of the customer .

9 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 8:44am On Mar 28
guobe:

Any payment made is received by his boss.
All he does is to check the debit alert of the customer .
Did the boss say he or she got an alert for your payment?

4 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by NPFLADMIN(m): 8:45am On Mar 28
Nigerians in diaspora.
Over to you!

5 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:46am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
Did the boss say he or she got an alert for your payment?
The boss is not with him.

3 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by RenaissanceGuy: 8:48am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:

The transaction will not reverse if he confirmed it on his own phone. If the confirmation was on your own phone, the money could bounce back based on atomicity principles.
Not true. A man once narrated how he sent money to his younger brother and the brother called him saying the money was too small and doesn't warrant him thanking him. Few minutes later or so, the transaction reversed grin.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:48am On Mar 28
NPFLADMIN:
Nigerians in diaspora.

Over to you!
The transaction transfer glitch these days no be here.

5 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 8:49am On Mar 28
guobe:

That's the point. The money you sent never went through.

If the recipient's account is credited with the money, the transaction will not fail (bounce back) even if the sender's account is yet to be debited, unless the reversal is manually initiated.

But if the sender's account is debited and the recipient's account is not yet credited, the transaction can bounce back.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 8:51am On Mar 28
RenaissanceGuy:
This cannot happen automatically. Someone initiated the reversal. Your claim is like saying a delivered mail automatically reversed.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by detopea1: 8:52am On Mar 28
guobe:

So nobody confirmed that the money entered his account.

It is normal for a reversal to happen after you sent money and the money did not reach the destination.

15 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:54am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
That's the point. The money you sent never went through.

If the recipient's account is credited with the money, the transaction will not fail (bounce back) even if the sender's account is yet to be debited, unless the reversal is manually initiated.

But if the sender's account is debited but the recipient's account is not yet credited, the transaction can bounce back.
Okay but it is still wrong for any form of bounce back when transacting.
Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:55am On Mar 28
RenaissanceGuy:
For real lol.

1 Like

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by detopea1: 8:56am On Mar 28
RenaissanceGuy:
If this story of yours is not fiction, then it was the younger brother that made a report to the bank for reversal.

8 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 8:58am On Mar 28
detopea1:

So nobody confirmed that the money entered his account.

It is normal for a reversal to happen after you sent money and the money did not reach the destination.
Maybe only in Nigeria that such occurs.
A debit alert is a debit alert.
Why then reversing few minutes later.
Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 8:58am On Mar 28
guobe:

Yes. But there is no perfection anywhere. Bank transaction failure rate is higher in some African countries because of the standard of internet facilities in Africa. But Africa is not the only place where bank transactions fail.

There is something called atomicity in banking system architecture. So, transaction failure is not peculiar to Africa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by Beremx(f): 8:59am On Mar 28
Na so I buy bread from a popular supermarket during the cash scarcity period last year. Their POS debited me twice for the purchase of the bread. I didn't notice till after three weeks. Was going through my transactions on my bank app where I was trying to check a particular failed transaction. and noticed I was debited twice for the bread. I didn't go to the supermarket to complain because they'll tell me to report to my bank. Na so I report to my bank. After 24hrs, I was refunded the two payments I made for the bread.
Na so I chop free bread . God forgive me. grin grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 9:00am On Mar 28
guobe:

A debit can automatically reverse if the intended recipient is not credited. But a credit cannot automatically reverse.

5 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by detopea1: 9:00am On Mar 28
guobe:

It is not wrong.

Transaction should be fully acknowledged by the receiver.

Bank reversal is universal. Even an email can bounce back if the receipient's host server is down.

5 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 9:02am On Mar 28
Beremx:
Na so I buy bread from a popular supermarket during the cash scarcity period last year. Their POS debited me twice for the purchase of the bread. I didn't notice till after three weeks. Was going through my transactions on my bank app where I was trying to check a particular failed transaction. and noticed I was debited twice for the bread. I didn't go to the supermarket to complain because they'll tell me to report to my bank. Na so I report to my bank. After 24hrs, I was refunded the two payments I made for the bread.
Na so I chop free bread . God forgive me. grin grin
Yes. You got the refund because your account did not credit the amount to the supermarket's account.

3 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 9:03am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
Yes. But there is no perfection anywhere. Bank transaction failure rate is higher in some African countries because of the standard of internet facilities in Africa. But Africa is not the only place where bank transactions fail.

There is something called atomicity in banking system architecture. So, transaction failure is not peculiar to Africa.
Africa has got a long way to go as they are lagging behind in all aspects .
In developed countries, the banks can be sued for such occurrence

2 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by RenaissanceGuy: 9:04am On Mar 28
detopea1:

If this story of yours is not fiction, then it was the younger brother that made a report to the bank for reversal.
Within a few minutes?? Not days or even hours but just a few minutes after??
Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by Beremx(f): 9:04am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
Yes. You got the refund because your account did not credit the amount to the supermarket's account.
really? Nonsense really happened during the cash scarcity. Too many stories of failed transactions.

2 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by RenaissanceGuy: 9:05am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
This cannot happen automatically. Someone initiated the reversal.
Screenshot and show me how you can do that using any of the bank apps on your phone.
Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by immortalcrown(m): 9:08am On Mar 28
RenaissanceGuy:
Screenshot and show me how you can do that using any of the bank apps on your phone.
You must not be the one to initiate it manually. The point is that a transaction that credited a recipient account cannot automatically reverse.

7 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by NPFLADMIN(m): 9:08am On Mar 28
guobe:
The transaction transfer glitch these days no be here.
Those banks are something else!
If we could rate them, none of them go reach 4 star rating.
Even 3 stars go scarce.

2 Likes

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by detopea1: 9:09am On Mar 28
guobe:

You still missed the most important point in this topic.
Always check your balance or credit history on the bank's app to be sure a payment sent to you really entered your bank account. Anyone that doesn't know this should only do business with cash.

The water vendor is naive to use your own debit alert as a proof.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by RenaissanceGuy: 9:11am On Mar 28
guobe:

Africa has got a long way to go as they are lagging behind in all aspects .
In developed countries, the banks can be sued for such occurrence
And who says you cannot also sue the banks here in Nigeria??
Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by RenaissanceGuy: 9:12am On Mar 28
immortalcrown:
You must not be the one to initiate it manually. The point is that a transaction that credited a recipient account cannot automatically reverse.
But your earlier statement said the brother must have been the one who initiated it.

1 Like

Re: Does This Type Of Failed Transfer Transaction Happen Abroad? by guobe: 9:13am On Mar 28
RenaissanceGuy:
And who says you cannot also sue the banks here in Nigeria??
The case won't go anywhere

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2016 In Mobile : Top 4 Smartphones And Events To Watch Out For / Samsung Sued Over Water-resistant Phone Claims / Major Causes Of Battery Drain In Android Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.