Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

‘94% Of Property In Lagos Without Title’ - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / ‘94% Of Property In Lagos Without Title’ (11721 Views)

How To Own A Property In Lagos Without Running Into Crises / Is It Possible To Get An Apartment For Rent In Lagos Without Agent And Agreement / Landowners In Abuja Take IG Of Police To Court For Illegal Seizes Of Property (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: ‘94% Of Property In Lagos Without Title’ by Gerrard59(m): 7:55pm On Apr 05
IbeOkehie:
But this is old news. Nobody owns any land in Nigeria, it's all government property.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/05/business/landmark-beach-nigeria-demolition-superhighway/index.html

You are a God! grin
Re: ‘94% Of Property In Lagos Without Title’ by IbeOkehie: 8:00pm On Apr 05
Gerrard59:

Based on this argument, how come mortgages work in Singapore where most lands are leased by the government (only few lands are outrightly owned by citizens)?

I don't know. What I do know from a lot of reading is that the Land Use Act is a major reason for the dearth of mortgages in Nigeria.

Even England has Royal Ownership of all the land. I did some reading and as I understand it, democracy in the UK means all the divine and absolute powers of the King/Queen are now vested in Parliament. Parliament can literally do anything, constrained only by elections. So the Parliament simply RESPECTS your land ownership even though they have the power to take it at will.

Again, as I wrote, Land Law in Nigeria is at the very least legally controversial. I know for instance that you can't legally transfer land without consent of the governor. As in, I know it first hand. So some of the difference is definitely down to lack of respect for the citizen compared to say the UK. Same way freedom of speech is in the Nigerian Constitution but not respected in practice.

Anyway, nobody owns land in Nigeria. It was stolen by the Nigerian Federal Government from the Natives of Nigeria. It's a known fact but emotionally hard to accept, just like Black South Africans can't accept their land was stolen by the Republic of South Africa.

Gerrard59:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/05/business/landmark-beach-nigeria-demolition-superhighway/index.html
You are a God! grin

The Igbo are going to be severely trampled in Lagos State. But for Nigeria as a whole, I keep saying it - withdrawing from that country is one of the best decisions I've made in my life and I'm glad I saved at least 3 other people from the trap. When I realized what Nigeria is I was shuddering with fear, anger and gratitude. I couldn't wait to get out.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: ‘94% Of Property In Lagos Without Title’ by Gerrard59(m): 8:22pm On Apr 05
IbeOkehie:

The Igbo are going to be severely trampled in Lagos State. But for Nigeria as a whole, I keep saying it - withdrawing from that country is one of the best decisions I've made in my life and I'm glad I saved at least 3 other people from the trap. When I realized what Nigeria is I was shuddering with fear, anger and gratitude. I couldn't wait to get out.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

I am not surprised as I predicted it few days after Tinubu's victory: https://www.nairaland.com/7621766/tinubus-nigeria-nigeria-2050

Only ignorant and as usual arrogant Igbos would continue to chook head inside. I would be here to remind them, and gloat at the same time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire / 5 Ways To Make Your Home More Efficient / Exotic Wall Designs for your Home and Office Spaces.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.