Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,900 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike (28012 Views)

Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 / Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by CrossRhodes: 8:53am On Apr 04
Gentlesniper:

Now I really understand why people keep attacking and trolling you on this forum.
You can see say common sense no dey...
It's good you have noticed it, just capping without engaging brain
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by SmartPolician: 8:55am On Apr 04
eyenPABLO:
The question is, is this the solution to unstable electricity?

No, it's not. But the discos need money because the current business model is not profitable. They are running at a loss and incurring a lot of debts from banks.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by CrossRhodes: 9:00am On Apr 04
tollyboy5:

Were paying the same rate with US that has a minimum wage of 1.3m when we pay 30k minimum wage?
How do you reconcile that?
Why is it so hard to increase minimum wage but so swift to cut off electricity subsidy?
They will do everything except increase minimum wages
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by agos: 9:01am On Apr 04
I don't know why some people will be justifying this our evil leaders harsh policy on the masses. What do they even gain from it
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by CrossRhodes: 9:01am On Apr 04
SmartPolician:

No, it's not. But the discos need money because the current business model is not profitable. They are running at a loss and incurring a lot of debts from banks.
Haba why lying so barefaced?

Didn't they just post their profits days ago?

God will punish all of you supporting criminality in the name of tribe and party affiliation..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by CrossRhodes: 9:05am On Apr 04
SmartPolician:

You should be named "dull and lying politician"

Na wa
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by noobody(m): 9:06am On Apr 04
Band b,c,d una time go soon reach
Let's all gear up,and reject this policy,over 300% increment is totally absurd and pure wicked.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by na2016: 9:19am On Apr 04
What you people don't know is that discos will assume most customers are in band A. Best is for everyone to reject this price increase oo
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by okeke6969: 9:32am On Apr 04
helinues:
Toh

We said we want stable electricity right? They have given us the charge/rate

Oh it's NEPA light, let me quickly Iron, Charge all gadgets, use electronic stove, put on the bulb as you don't like darkness, why should music stop when there is light, Fridge and freezers shouldn't also be left out.. Remember na NEPA light

Make we see if we can truly afford it

What is this one saying?
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by yommen: 9:49am On Apr 04
Ofunaofu:

Toh!

I am not sure you read this part of the report below before making your senseless comment

The part you are quoting that there won't be electricity improvement to the affected area is meaningless. If you are in band A, you are already enjoying nothing less than 20 hours per day. That's the meaning. So what improvement do they need? Besides , most customers in this category are metered, 99.5% metered.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Haaland21: 9:50am On Apr 04
Ofunaofu:

Tinubu is a plague that has befallen this nation. Leaving in its wake hunger, starvation, high costs of goods and services, inflation, etc.

A catastrophe foretold

See this village and mannerless boy calling someone his father would prostrate for a plague.

Village boy claiming Band A.

Who dash monkey banana.?

Key crying
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Neoteny(m): 9:50am On Apr 04
Problem 1: The eligible feeders have a mix of social and economic classes. There are customers on Band A that cannot afford even the old tariff, talk more of a 300% increment, and who have no use for 24-hour electricity supply. Conversely, there are well-off citizens on lower bands who both need and can pay for 24-hour energy on the new tariffs, but are doomed to lower service because by fate they're on lower band locations.

Problem 2: The rate of vandalism is spiking, meaning less supply stability. Discos don't have the resources to guarantee quality of supply. So customers are going to pay for essentially the same poor service quality at 300% rates. This is robbery.

Problem 3: the Order suggests a large portion of the energy to be sold must come from renewable sources. But where are these sources? Energy storage doesn't really work well for a national grid, else the US and UK would've since defeated their growing grid challenges.

Problem 4: with the experience of subsidy withdrawal in the petroleum sector, we don't expect any perceived savings from the energy subsidy removal to be applied to any meaningful real sector of the economy. The savings will mysteriously disappear as usual. Stolen by our elected and selected kleptocrats.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Haaland21: 9:52am On Apr 04
CrossRhodes:

Na wa

You deserve the name more.

Most of the discos have been taken over by banks. Too much debt. Besides, these are private companies, government cant dictate to them.

Wailers
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by ultimateprof: 9:54am On Apr 04
Nazgul:
You're hiking tariff by over 200% when power generation is still less than 5,000 megawatts. Coupled with the frequent collapse of the national grid like an epilepsy patient.

So technically, customers on Band A would not experience any visible improvement in power supply aside paying more for it.

How Tinubu's supporters still find a way to sing his praises despite his harsh suffocating policies which even the blind can see should be added among the 7 wonders of the world.
Assuming there is improvement/increase in the mega watts at least up to 7000 or something there about, it would have been better. Solar is the way out or to leave this country.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Haaland21: 9:56am On Apr 04
tiswell:
Nigerians are now missing buhari's govt.

Tueh!

It is people like you zero understanding but wailing.. The same Buhari who printed trillion of naira, and was padding the usd. The same govt who was feeding school kids when they were at home during covid.

Hatred has finished u.

Dey play o.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by wiseword316(m): 9:58am On Apr 04
So i will be buying 4.4 unit for 1000 naira instead of 13.5 unit. This is pure evil.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by comodo: 9:58am On Apr 04
Owon:
Government is just being insensitive and evil.

How can Nigerians be paying more than what people in developed countries are paying for electricity?

You have not even provided basic amenities
Minimum wage is about 20 dollars a month and this!?

MEANWHILE

The criminal company
African Alliance company PLC has refused to pay me and many others their insured money, months and years after maturity.
THEY HID UNDER THE CLOAK OF ISLAM, WITH THEIR FRAUDULENT TAKAFUL SAVINGS PLAN TO DEFRAUD PEOPLE.
I have written several emails to them without a single response.
I have been to their office at Ikoyi last month to warn them and that my return won't be good...

I HAVE WRITTEN SEVERAL COMPLAINTS AND REPORT TO THE USELESS NIACOM THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE INSURANCE COMPANY POLICE TO PUT THEM TO CHECK, BUT THE USELESS NIACOM IS NOT EVEN RESPONDING.
I THINK AFRICAN ALLIANCE INSURANCE COULD HAVE BRIBED THEM...

Please I want suggestions from people who have had similar experiences with these evil and criminal insurance companies and how they were able to retrieve their money.

https://www.nairaland.com/8050757/how-get-money-criminal-african
This one strong. Thank God I ran away from them tey tey.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:00am On Apr 04
iamtoofan:

Even if power generated is less than 2000megawatts, power is shared and distributed on rationing, Priority wise

You might mistakenly find yourself living a band A area but No Area using Band A is mistakenly selected, i don't know how the rich will feel about the increment

But i believe, an improved electricity will trickle down to ALL, so what if the rich pay the price for us.

The issue is, the price was increased because of subsidy removal... Have the subsidy FULLY BEEN REMOVED? Won't they come back later to say what was done was PARTIAL REMOVAL, that the next phase of the removal will affect band B, then gradually, it'll trickle down?

In a situation where an area paying this high doesn't get the required hours of light, will they be compensated, since that's why they're paying high? (All I saw there was that discos will send message to them apologizing)... So I pay high for 20hours of light, but in a month you only brought light for 20hours in just 16 days, and my compensation are text messages of apology?
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by travelzcruix: 10:03am On Apr 04
As e be right now, run if you can, to anywhere possible. Nigeria was doomed to crash by 2014, but they shifted goal post to 2024.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by SmartPolician: 10:06am On Apr 04
CrossRhodes:

Na wa

You don't know and you don't even know that you don't know. You are finished!
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:07am On Apr 04
SmartPolician:

Does this mean ALL THE SUBSIDIES have been removed? Hope we won't later hear that it's partial removal, then the next removal will affect band B and so on?
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Mamayam: 10:13am On Apr 04
FxMasterz:
Why must they hike the tarrif? Stable electricity already means consumers would pay more, since the token would burn for a much longer time. If you give 2hr electricity, the token would burn for only 2hrs. And if you give 20hr electricity, the token would burn for 20hrs, making more money for the Discos. There's no sense in hiking electricity tarrif just because you want to provide stable electricity. Should the telecoms hike tarrif plans just because some fellows are calling for longer hours? This isn't sensible.

Most of our electricity is generated from burning gas or some sort of fuel. And it seems with increasing gas prices, the GENCOs increase the selling price to the DISCOs which have to increase their tariff to make ends meet
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Ofunaofu: 10:14am On Apr 04
yommen:

The part you are quoting that there won't be electricity improvement to the affected area is meaningless. If you are in band A, you are already enjoying nothing less than 20 hours per day. That's the meaning. So what improvement do they need? Besides , most customers in this category are metered, 99.5% metered.

It's meaningless to you Tinubu's zombie supporter
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by happney65: 10:17am On Apr 04
How can you be increasing tariffs and no new increase in power supply? How?

You see this is why people protest because after this increase for Band A customers they are still coming to other Bands too cos what is the meaning of all these nonesense

If I'm paying more I should get more and better service not paying more for lesser service

Nonesense!
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by djseanjohn77: 10:20am On Apr 04
Stanleymaster1:
To me I don't see any reason for this 300% increase, Nigerians will pay for electricity, in return they give darkness, when the transformers are bad, Nigerian again will contribute money to buy new transformers still the Disco won't detuct from their bill. People living in location made up of mostly poor people, if they apply for meter, they won't get, even after payment. How will this increase, increase electricity production when the infrastructure is still the same.

I see that understanding is the problems of many of you. You probably does not even belong in B, C or D category...yet you complain the most. Or you overly just lack comprehension. You should first understand who belongs to Cat A, then take it from there. Cat A enjoys 20hrs of light daily and largely use prepaid voucher.
That said, Nigerians waste the insufficient power by allowing their unused gadgets or bulbs run without need. At the end of the day, if you learn to manage you power, you will realise that you are paying less. Over here, water, power are all carefully used, otherwise you will pay heavily at the end of the month. You don't overly let your gadgets, electrical appliances run without need for it.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Ambber(f): 10:26am On Apr 04
Stanleymaster1:
To me I don't see any reason for this 300% increase, Nigerians will pay for electricity, in return they give darkness, when the transformers are bad, Nigerian again will contribute money to buy new transformers still the Disco won't detuct from their bill. People living in location made up of mostly poor people, if they apply for meter, they won't get, even after payment. How will this increase, increase electricity production when the infrastructure is still the same.
everything is just being hiked for the common man not to survive
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by olaiyaO: 10:30am On Apr 04
I think this is high time our governors start investing in power. We can't continue like this, this thing has been signed into law. What are our governors still waiting for? Too much dependent on the national grid is the reason for this consistence increase in the tarif. It is until power becomes competitive among states before we can have both stable supply of electricity and reasonable tarif. Definitely, it is not going to be easy but they have to face it if truly they still have the masses at heart as they portraits it during their election campaign.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by feldido(m): 10:31am On Apr 04
jmoore:
Many customers have been wrongly classified under band A.

The band rating is a SCAM.

Trust NERC at your own peril.

They said band A customers were paying 66 naira previously. But I paid around 77 naira many months ago despite the fact that I don't get up to 12 hours daily.

Same here, I pay 77 previously with less than 6hrs hours daily supply. This is wickedness
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Melonsmasher: 10:40am On Apr 04
BigDawsNet:

So you literally mean the ambition of Apc is to suffer citizens for no reason and also put depopulation in place in the country?
This your question get as e be.. Shebi u no use your eyes dey see wetin dey happen..

These men don't give a damn about you. All they do is for their own gain.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by imagrg(m): 10:43am On Apr 04
The fact is that many people are either doing 'by-pass'. And some corrupt BEDC workers give light illegally to some stores and houses in the remote parts of Benin City and collect 3k monthly.
Some old meters that are no longer working but gives free light to some houses abound too.
Re: What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike by Ade1177: 10:58am On Apr 04
I just paid 5k for 20units

Something I buy for 1,200naira before

Wat da fek!!!

Me go protest o

Can't pay 30k monthly for small korope apartment for light

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okorocha Reacts To Being Slapped By A Ghost / Pictures From The NLC Protest In Enugu State / Worshippers Mock Jonathan at Church Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.