Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,957 members, 7,817,812 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff (20851 Views)

NERC Fines 11 DISCOs N10.5bn Over Overbilling Of Unmetered Customers / Peter Obi Dragged To Court For "Violation Of Chid Rights" / Wike Shuts Down Caverton Helicopters For Violation Of Movement Restrictions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by abc115: 2:02pm On Apr 05
NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million for Violation of the New Tariff Order, Directs Customer Refunds

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (“Commission”) has taken enforcement action against the Abuja Electricity Distribution Plc (“AEDC”) for non-compliance with the Supplementary Order to the April 2024 Multi-Year Tariff Order 2024 for AEDC (the “Order”).

AEDC has been fined ₦200,000,000 (Two Hundred Million Naira) for failure to comply with the prescribed customer band classifications for the tariff billing.
This decision follows a detailed review and customer feedback, which revealed that AEDC had applied the new tariff to all customer bands, contrary to the Order, which was designed to ensure fair billing practices.

AEDC is therefore mandated to:

Reimburse all customers in Bands B, C, D and E respectively that were billed above the allowed customer categories/tariff bands provided in the Order.

Reimburse through the provision of the balance of customer tokens that the affected customers would be entitled to receive at the applicable rates and all token reimbursements shall be issued to the affected customers by 11 April 2024.

Pay the sum of ₦200,000,000.00 (Two Hundred Million Naira) as a fine for the flagrant breach of the Commission’s Order.

File evidence of compliance with the directives in a & c with the Commission by 12 April 2024.

The action by the Commission underscores its commitment to protecting consumer rights and ensuring equitable practices within Nigeria’s electricity sector.

Signed

Management

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by dawno2008(m): 2:05pm On Apr 05
Not just AEDC,even IBDC too sad

31 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by FreeStuffsNG: 2:09pm On Apr 05
Great intervention. Since they are now mandated to repay their customers back in units, in my opinion, the fine is too much.

NERC can report the officials to EFCC and recommend them to be sacked or suspended from work for 6months without pay. It's when both the individuals and their company are punished that there can be sufficient deterrent.

Individuals committed that infraction so they should be held liable as well. They are not ghosts.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by freemanq(m): 2:12pm On Apr 05
Just looking for simple opportunity to make Nigerians suffer

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by naija4life247: 2:14pm On Apr 05
FreeStuffsNG:
That fine is too much in my opinion. They can report the officials to EFCC

They allowed themselves to be used as scapegoats.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by naptu2: 2:20pm On Apr 05
AEDC had previously apologised for wrongly putting people in Band A and charging them a higher tariff.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by DeLaRue: 2:21pm On Apr 05
dawno2008:
Not just AEDC,even IBDC too sad

I suggest you report them through the NERC website.

There is a process on the website for opening a grievance with Discos.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Ikaeniyan0: 2:22pm On Apr 05
FreeStuffsNG:
It's not too much. It will serve as a deterrent to others

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by suckmedownthere(f): 2:22pm On Apr 05
Give a greedy wolf a piece of meat with your hand then you will lose your full arm,this is mostly practiced by Nigerian businessmen, make them increase fuel with 100 naira them go collect 1000 on top the single item you bought from him spitting all types of lies to support his evil, carry their family problem join market,consumer right needs serious protection in nigeria..we don't need any band classification,just give everyone prepaid meters simple...

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by DeLaRue: 2:24pm On Apr 05
FreeStuffsNG:

It is not.

It is a punitive measure.

The NERC order was very clear. The new tariff should apply to Band A only.

Any application outside that band is an egregious attempt to exploit people.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by codeworks(m): 2:26pm On Apr 05
I was considering moving back to Nigeria, but the increase in electricity tariffs gave me pause.

9 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by YeyeGbami: 2:26pm On Apr 05
Thieves

16 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Sunnycliff(m): 2:26pm On Apr 05
The worst is that, there's no comprehensive list that's open to all, on this band categorization

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by clarocuzioo(m): 2:26pm On Apr 05
This tariff hike for BAND A customers is not a well thought out initiative. It is draconian and exploitative.

How do you particularly differentiate the respective Bands? Do we have comprehensive details of Band A consumers?

The greedy DISCOS will automatically move everybody to BAND A and make everybody pay through their nose for darkness.

This is a poorly thought out initiative.

NERC does not have the capacity for a Nation wide monitoring of the DISCOS.

12 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by bigdammyj: 2:27pm On Apr 05
Noted.
Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Sunnycliff(m): 2:27pm On Apr 05
FreeStuffsNG:

Fisayo Soyombo have been reporting to EFCC on the Actions of criminal staffs of Nigeria Customs, but they have turned blind eyes because IBD Dende, the man that's been shown to be a smuggler is a friend of the president

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by SmartPolician: 2:27pm On Apr 05
It seems the NERC has heard the cries of that guy who complained on Nairaland yesterday and others being exploited. This is truly commendable. Nigerians are terrible opportunists!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by adioolayi(m): 2:28pm On Apr 05
Nonsense..

What a ripoff!!!

4 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Judolisco(m): 2:29pm On Apr 05
With last month release of government parastatals owing nepa bills.....nobody suppose dey pay nepa money again sef for inside dis inflation since government sef dey owe

4 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by TUANKU(m): 2:29pm On Apr 05
Best news of the day. AEDC is the most notorious DISCO when it comes to shady dealings with customers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by worldclass68(m): 2:31pm On Apr 05
They would blame it on system glitch...whereas nah lie, they did it on purpose

11 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by TUANKU(m): 2:31pm On Apr 05
FreeStuffsNG:
Opinions are like the feet,everyone has them and they usually stink.
AEDC deserves a bigger fine than this, i bet you don't live in an area under AEDC jurisdiction. Banza!

15 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by PlasmaTV: 2:32pm On Apr 05
Clowns
Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by YesDaddyTill203: 2:32pm On Apr 05
Sunnycliff:
The worst is that, there's no comprehensive list that's open to all, on this band categorization

There is, I have seen it posted.

2 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Provesto: 2:32pm On Apr 05
Customers will end up paying the fines sha

2 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Houseofglam7(f): 2:32pm On Apr 05
Mtchewwwwwwwww
Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by yesloaded: 2:33pm On Apr 05
IBEDC needs to be fined too for epileptic power supply

Only 2% of entire Ibadan enjoy stable power supply

2 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by phemmie06(m): 2:33pm On Apr 05
Let the poor breathe

1 Like

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by DeLaRue: 2:33pm On Apr 05
Sunnycliff:

Another thing is, if you're in a part of town where supply is 19hrs 30mins, you pay the existing rate.

Those in another part of the same town who get 30mins more light than you will pay 3 times more for the light! Very unfair.

That 20hr thing is a poor metric for determining which group of people pay the new rate.

6 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by kaludestiny10(m): 2:33pm On Apr 05
What will now happen if AEDC refuses to pay the fine?
This one na dog eat dog.
Keep deceiving yourselves.
Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by kingi777: 2:34pm On Apr 05
AEDC gave us meter in 2021, some are on Band B, some are on Band C, when I complained, the marketing manager, said I should be happy that my house got 5 meters for different flats. That meters were mend for those on Band B because it generates more money for them. So, some flats are using Band B in Band C area, paying more than normal.

5 Likes

Re: NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff by Lush100(m): 2:37pm On Apr 05
Under how many days.
Please re port a genuine news.

NERC and AEDC playing pingpong

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mark Gbillah Responds To Sex Scandal Allegations / Adeyanju Deji, Charly Boy, Others Continue Resume Or Resign Protest (Photos) / South-West Governors Absent At Meeting With Odigie-Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.