Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply (14015 Views)

Discos Struggle To Satisfy Band A Customers Over Gas Shortage / Discos Post 37 Apologies To Band A Customers In 1 Week / Petrol Importers, Power Firms Behind Anti-akpabio Plot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Wallade(m): 5:55pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

We need 30000 mw at least before we can see light 24/7. That's a lot of money and total deregulation, not the partial one tinubu is doing is a start.

Back when sim cards were costing 10000 naira or more, service was bad because the GSM companies had to build things from scratch. Nitel had zero GSM infrastructure for them to work with. That's why GSM was expensive until investment and completion came in eventually

Our power sector, even at 22000 mw the current. Installed capacity cannot give us light at all for 24/7. The transmission system was new in the 1970s. Both need fixing, and it is billions of dollars before we can see some sense.

I wish there was another way. Solar can only do so much

Do you want to compare GSM service with electricity supply?

If Nigeria can't effectively achieve 24/7 supply of electricity, why enforce a ridiculous rate on the customers when you can't meet the condition? That is fraud in itself. I expect a lot of Nigerians to go into litigation against the DISCOs or do bypass.

The government must provide adequate electricity to justify the bill rate applicable on customers.

Stop being silly and unreasonable
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:56pm On Apr 07
Wallade:

Do you want to compare GSM service with electricity supply?

If Nigeria can't effectively achieve 24/7 supply of electricity, why enforce a ridiculous rate on the customers when you can't meet the condition? That is fraud in itself. I expect a lot of Nigerians to go into litigation against the DISCOs or do bypass.

The government must provide adequate electricity to justify the bill rate applicable on customers.

Yeah, because it costs a lot of money to get to where we would have 24 hour light.

Reality need not be what we like
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by NapoleonHill: 5:58pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:
Power supply is atrocious because for decades we have been on subsidized power. The result is that the sector was not able to make enough money to keep running well.

Even now tinubu is still paying subsides for bands b to band d.

When the subsidy removal happens properly ( apc wants power and if keeping subsidy means they win they will bring it back), prices will shoot up so that money would be made to fix things up then when investment flows in as a result, prices might come down.

As seen in the GSM sector.

We've been lying to ourselves for decades. Now, thanks to years of subsidy and years of looting , we have to face the truth. Even apc

Can you enlighten me, please?

If government has been subsidizing power, why is the money not used to keep running the power distribution sector?

Why is the discos waiting for when the masses pay before they can start running the sector properly? What are they using the subsidy being paid for?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:00pm On Apr 07
Wallade:

This is how you fail exams. The question again: Is there any country in the world that doesn't subsidize essential services and commodities?

This idiot is telling me about tax. Are you suggesting that the tax rate is inadequate?

You are becoming abusive, good sir.

Good evening.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:02pm On Apr 07
NapoleonHill:

Can you enlighten me, please?

If government has been subsidizing power, why is the money not used to keep running the power distribution sector?

Why is the discos waiting for when the masses pay before they can start running the sector properly? What are they using the subsidy being paid for?

Subsidy just helps the discos survive financially. It doesn't help them meet their needs and pay for improvement.

Anyway when government sets your prices, disaster happeneth
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by descarado: 6:02pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

You are becoming abusive, good sir.

Good evening.
Answer the question.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by NapoleonHill: 6:02pm On Apr 07
Nazgul:
I said this on a similar thread.

Nigeria generates less than 5,000 mega watts and you're expecting NEPA to sustain 20 hours of electricity supply for Band A customers? That's impossible.

They would never be able to meet up with that target, and the customers are the ones who would be on the receiving end cos they'll be paying through their noses for darkness. No thanks to the incompetence of the Discos.

Even the power we generate is not properly distributed. Failed distribution installations everywhere. Every sector in the power industry is messed up.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:03pm On Apr 07
descarado:

Answer the question.

Whatever you think of me, subsidy removal is essential for the functioning of the power sector.

Plus would you answer someone who called you an idiot?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by CorrectionFLuid: 6:05pm On Apr 07
alpharoyalty:

Paid APC online warrior spotted

nairalanda is not a paid APC warrior. He is a soul that loves blowing grammar.

1 Like

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by NapoleonHill: 6:06pm On Apr 07
Offpoint1:
We are all band A.

Bypass your meters, every government sector is stealing millions from the national treasure. The only thing the masses used to enjoyed has been canceled by bulaba.

So I encourage everyone who can bypass their meter should do so. An average politician steals nothing less than 5m in a month. So bypass the fxxkkn meter if they won't fix the cost.

Bypass is now very difficult.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:06pm On Apr 07
CorrectionFLuid:

nairalanda is not a paid APC warrior. He is a soul that loves blowing grammar.

Yes, and you won't like it either if someone called you a soul that likes blowing grammar either wink
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Offpoint1: 6:14pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Good, so all the power companies collapse, people lose their jobs and we still have bad light.

If you were a businessman, you won't sell your goods for free or at half price to help the poor.
They should collapse, we've paid for what we didn't use for years.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by motionarena: 6:15pm On Apr 07
jubrilELsudan:
YOU NIGERIANS ARE REALLY STUPID SHA

EVEN IF THEY ONLY GIVE POWER FOR ONLY ONE HOUR A DAY....WHO IS LOSING WHO IS GAINING?

IS IT NOT WHEN THERE IS ELECTRICITY THAT THE METER WILL BE READING?

ABI DOES PREPAID METER READ AGAIN WHEN THERE IS NO LIGHT?

Even if you get light for a hour you will pay more that 3 times of what you paid due to the increase tariff

Added to the cost of running generator, Yes we are losing
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Artscollection: 6:22pm On Apr 07
Gboom:

Lamentation of a wailer

A typical agbadorian is worthless so you have nothing to cry about.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by CorrectionFLuid: 6:26pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Yes, and you won't like it either if someone called you a soul that likes blowing grammar either wink

Over seriousness dey worry you. Be like na you carry Naija wahala for head.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Brendaniel: 6:30pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Things take time. We have a electricity sector that hasn't had major investment for decades. With a transmission system that is getting upgraded to transmit 25000 mw after decades of no investment, and that 25000 is not going to do nothing.

Look, I'm not here to defend tinubu . I've been reading up on our power sector since 2013 when I was trying to understand why gej wanted to privatized the thing . And what I read back then opened my eyes. And the painful thing is governments have been doing subsidy instead of free market things.

I will be highlighting all your points one by one

Things take time. We have a electricity sector that hasn't had major investment for decades. With a transmission system that is getting upgraded to transmit 25000 mw after decades of no investment, and that 25000 is not going to do nothing.

Well you are wrong, very very wrong, PDP presidents invested 2.74 trillion into the power sector in 16 years, this was not subsidy, please you can read the link below, they paid subsidy separately.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/power-obasanjo-yaradua-jonathan-spent-n2-74trn-in-16-years/

Buhari alone did another of 1.7 trillion in his tenure, see the link below.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/374107-buhari-administration-spent-n1-7-trillion-on-nigerias-broken-electricity-sector-in-three-years-el-rufai.html

Look, I'm not here to defend tinubu . I've been reading up on our power sector since 2013 when I was trying to understand why gej wanted to privatized the thing . And what I read back then opened my eyes. And the painful thing is governments have been doing subsidy instead of free market things.

Here you talked about subsidy and tariff, well just to let you know, over the years after Jonathan privatised the power sector, the tariff has been increased and each time the tariff is increased it means the government has reduced the subsidy, not only that, the tarrif was increased 3 times it's value from 2015-2019 and from 2019 till date has been increased witho more than 400%, see the link and screenshots below.
https://punchng.com/electricity-tariffs-grow-threefold-in-four-years/

In 2015 Jonathan left the power grid at stable rate at around 5000 megawatts after privatization, between then and now over 2 trillion has been invested in the power sector, over 500% increase has been made on tariff to customers.

But guess what the power generation has dropped from 5000 to 2500 mega watts and the grid has collapsed about 100 times since then....

Now you want to tell me that once Nigerians start paying 250 naira per kilo watt that is when the improvement in power supply will start?

What you want to tell me is that all the trillions that were invested and all the tariff increase and subsidy removals at various stages were only designed to make the system worse?

So if subsidy removal and tariff increase only makes the power generation worse then why should I support it?

Your analysis are flawed in this conversation...

Because indirectly you are telling Nigerians let us support the government to make the light worse because that's what they have been doing over the years, remove subsidy and increase tariff and the light gets worse...

So once they remove it completely and increase the tariff to the highest in the world then maybe it may finally collapse and Nigerians will be paying very high for no power at all....

Your analysis are seriously flawed....

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by ignis: 6:40pm On Apr 07
This increment is not fair.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Lexusgs430: 6:45pm On Apr 07
I smell plenty litigation loading...........😀😁
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Charly68: 6:49pm On Apr 07
This is what I know will happen. The Govt ought to fix light supply before increasing the cost of energy .. they won't give service but wants to be paid. It is pure fraud and nothing more
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:50pm On Apr 07
Brendaniel:

I will be highlighting all your points one by one

Well you are wrong, very very wrong, PDP presidents invested 2.74 trillion into the power sector in 16 years, this was not subsidy, please you can read the link below, they paid subsidy separately.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/power-obasanjo-yaradua-jonathan-spent-n2-74trn-in-16-years/

Buhari alone did another of 1.7 trillion in his tenure, see the link below.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/374107-buhari-administration-spent-n1-7-trillion-on-nigerias-broken-electricity-sector-in-three-years-el-rufai.html

Here you talked about subsidy and tariff, well just to let you know, over the years after Jonathan privatised the power sector, the tariff has been increased and each time the tariff is increased it means the government has reduced the subsidy, not only that, the tarrif was increased 3 times it's value from 2015-2019 and from 2019 till date has been increased witho more than 400%, see the link and screenshots below.
https://punchng.com/electricity-tariffs-grow-threefold-in-four-years/

In 2015 Jonathan left the power grid at stable rate at around 5000 megawatts after privatization, between then and now over 2 trillion has been invested in the power sector, over 500% increase has been made on tariff to customers.

But guess what the power generation has dropped from 5000 to 2500 mega watts and the grid has collapsed about 100 times since then....

Now you want to tell me that once Nigerians start paying 250 naira per kilo watt that is when the improvement in power supply will start?

What you want to tell me is that all the trillions that were invested and all the tariff increase and subsidy removals at various stages were only designed to make the system worse?

So if subsidy removal and tariff increase only makes the power generation worse then why should I support it?

Your analysis are flawed in this conversation...

Because indirectly you are telling Nigerians let us support the government to make the light worse because that's what they have been doing over the years, remove subsidy and increase tariff and the light gets worse...

So once they remove it completely and increase the tariff to the highest in the world then maybe it may finally collapse and Nigerians will be paying very high for no power at all....

Your analysis are seriously flawed....

Well, at the end of the day, we need far more than the figures you state.

We need, something like, 30 trillion per annum over 30 years to get good power supply

Or 100 billion dollars over 5 years to get up to over 30 thousand mw

Anyway, your analysis just shows how much government spent, it doesn't show how much is needed
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:51pm On Apr 07
CorrectionFLuid:

Over seriousness dey worry you. Be like na you carry Naija wahala for head.

Yeah, so why worry about what I say.? That implied some worries...on your part
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 6:52pm On Apr 07
Offpoint1:

They should collapse, we've paid for what we didn't use for years.

Okay, stop complaining about bad light

You get what you pay for.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by ceejay80s(m): 6:52pm On Apr 07
For it to be approved, tinubu is getting his share from it, he's very greedy, u guy dont know who tinubu is, ambode was dragged out cos he rejected paying a certain amount generated from lagos to his account,
U will all die in the hands of tinubu
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Brendaniel: 6:56pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Well, at the end of the day, we need far more than the figures you state.

We need, something like, 30 trillion per annum over 30 years to get good power supply

Or 100 billion dollars over 5 years to get up to over 30 thousand mw

Anyway, your analysis just shows how much government spent, it doesn't show how much is needed

So what you are trying to say is that all the money they invested was only good enough to make the power worse?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 7:03pm On Apr 07
Brendaniel:

So what you are trying to say is that all the money they invested was only good enough to make the power worse?

Calling trillions is one thing. But it still falls short of what we need.

Like now, a group of experts said we need 30 trillion per annum over 30 years

Nairametrics puts it at 100 billion or 31 trillion naira yearly over 5 years.

Compared to that, 3 trillion over 16 years is a joke.

That's why the same pdp privatized power. They knew that the cash was not enough. They knew.

( That's why I talk the way I talk. This was a process that started eleven years ago. )
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Brendaniel: 7:09pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Calling trillions is one thing. But it still falls short of what we need.

Like now, a group of experts said we need 30 trillion per annum over 30 years

Nairametrics puts it at 100 billion or 31 trillion naira yearly over 5 years.

Compared to that, 3 trillion over 16 years is a joke.

That's why the same pdp privatized power. They knew that the cash was not enough. They knew.

( That's why I talk the way I talk. This was a process that started eleven years ago. )

So what you are saying is that it is only when Nigeria begins to invest 30 trillion annually that is when the power will start improving and any other amount below that is supposed to make it worse than before?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by masui(m): 7:12pm On Apr 07
SenecaTheYonger:
Omo after this increase, them no come dey bring iight at all oh. Abi anybody still dey get light?

Mehn, Its like they want people to beg them to supply light ooo.

Since Friday morning, no sign of light. E no make sense at all.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Coolgent(m): 7:12pm On Apr 07
Emi lokam.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 7:21pm On Apr 07
Brendaniel:

So what you are saying is that it is only when Nigeria begins to invest 30 trillion annually that is when the power will start improving and any other amount below that is supposed to make it worse than before?

If you don't want to believe it, you are free to do so.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Fulgur: 7:28pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Texas and the USA also charge the kind of tax that they don't charge here to pay for it. And the texan economy is bigger than most countries

Nigeria is a broke country run by corrupt people. That's why we can't have good things, and if we get them, we get a big debt because we ain't earning enough.

From your first post to this one, you're not making any sense. Just going round in circles like a confused prostitute desperate to put up a show of sophistication.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 7:31pm On Apr 07
Fulgur:

From your first post to this one, you're not making any sense. Just going round in circles like a confused prostitute desperate to put up a show of sophistication.

Okey dokey. Have a gay old time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OPEC Meeting Concludes In Stalemate / 60 IPOB Members Docked In Umuahia, Remanded In Prison / FG Grants Fuel Marketers Special FX To Resume Fuel Importation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.