Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

I'm tired of looking for a job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I'm tired of looking for a job (4821 Views)

I'm Tired Of Being Unemployed. / Tired of looking for a job? Independent Marketers Needed. / I'm Tired! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm tired of looking for a job by afolabom: 8:07pm On Nov 17, 2011
hey guyz,
Pls this job search is getting frustrating, infact i am fed up, i just cant continue this way
I believe there should be an alternative? Can anyone be of help and save a brother from drowning
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 1forall: 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2011
Hi,

I feel your frustration, but honestly, there is no alternative to DETERMINATION. You know a peculiarity of the Nigerian environment is that only the PERSISTENT see things through. You simply have to persist with your search if that is what you want. But also you should think about changing your approach, if your search has not yielded result for some time then you may need to do something different about the way you're going about it.

Re-do your CV per job application, keep records of your updates so you remember the changes you make, read motivational books to boost your self confidence, look for books that discuss job hunting and interview skills to read, go the extra mile to make yourself a good candidate, research the organizations ahead of interview, discuss with people who share your vision, be professional in your job search, prepare yourself for the OPPORTUNITIES that will come your way because they will (you may already have encountered an opportunity that you did not make the most of its potential). A PREPARED candidate is easily noticed by a prospective employer - that is, if a job is what you really DESIRE.

Remember the competition is TOUGH so it cant be easy given the Naija situation. Regarding an alternative, I'll advise you to also get busy with yourself instead of staying stagnant while searching. Look for something to do that may earn money/PERSONAL SATISFACTION. Don't think anything is beneath you or too small for you, it's all a self-training process believe me and you will always grow with time. The easiest thing to do is something you enjoy, think about it. Don't close your eyes to the OPPORTUNITIES which may exist all around you. DON'T GO ILLEGAL AND DON'T LOOK FOR SHORTCUTS, IT NEVER PAYS! Trust me.

Many years ago, it took 18 months of searching before I found a job but during that time I got involved with music and car sales which was mentally and financially (though not greatly) rewarding, and kept me 'sane' so to speak.

Now I still do my auto deals on the side, and I play a musical instrument which no one can take away from me.

Don't give up!

PS: Note KEY words in uppercase.

1 Like

Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 9janinja1(f): 12:26am On Nov 18, 2011
afolabom:

hey guyz,
Pls this job search is getting frustrating, infact i am fed up, i just cant continue this way
I believe there should be an alternative? Can anyone be of help and save a brother from drowning

me 2
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by ayaba(f): 1:12pm On Nov 18, 2011
what is your qualification?
what do you have flair for or what are your hobbies?
where is your location?

i may have something for you
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by lily0231: 5:54pm On Nov 18, 2011
Never give up. NO PAIN NO GAIN.

YOU WILL GET THERE.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by boneruns(m): 7:11pm On Nov 18, 2011
ayaba:

where is your location?

I have B.Sc in industrial physics, 2.1. I reside in lagos, Nigeria. I have flair in science, technology and research. Please contact me through. gnwaofor@yahoo.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by afolabom: 8:46pm On Nov 18, 2011
RE:
where is your location?

what do u hv 4 me? u can inbox me sobayoafolabi@yahoo.com
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Gboliwe: 2:28am On Nov 19, 2011
ayaba:

where is your location?

I have a Bsc in Accouting(2.2). Hobbies include reading and travelling. I am presently in Imo state.
@1forall, i've done all you listed and pointed out. I have the right attitude yet it only landed me a N16k job. How do I secure my future with that paltry meagre sum?considering the fact that I need enough 'security' at old age because of my badleg.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 1forall: 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2011
Gboliwe:

How do I secure my future with that paltry meagre sum?considering the fact that I need enough 'security' at old age because of my badleg.

If you are expressing your frustration by describing the situation - I truly understand. Or do you really want an answer to the question?
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Gboliwe: 4:09pm On Nov 19, 2011
Please give me an answer.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 1forall: 5:11pm On Nov 19, 2011
That question; my friend, is one I can't answer for you. I had hoped you'd get the hint from my previous response.

I agree 16k is small - definitely sad and I expect that you desire to move up from this current job as soon as possible. So why not make that your focus for now and continue adding value to self in the process?

We all have issues and situations we have to deal with as individuals, and even a 500k/mo job is no guarantee of freedom from worry.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Gboliwe: 6:21pm On Nov 19, 2011
Add value you say? Where would the finance come from? One thing I dont know how to do is beg and even if I do know how to beg, who do I beg for money?everybody has less than his needs. I went to ICAN website to see if I could addvalue with a professional certificate, the cost of just registering and purchasing the form came close to 60K. Tell me how to beat that? Please tell me how to add value to my cert. I'm sure i've lost it!
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 1forall: 8:03pm On Nov 19, 2011
It's more beneficial to see such issues as stepping stones, not stumbling blocks.

Dear friend, success is more of a state of mind than anything else, and I think the mind should be the best place to start adding the value from. It may sound abstract but its true. It's less about certificates and more about mental disposition.

I'm sure there are a lot of people with ICAN who are still un/underemployed and I won't advise anyone to get a certificate for the sake of getting it if the certificate is not in line of the big picture you visualize for yourself. That big picture is what you need to determine by yourself for yourself.

I would suggest you read Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. I'm sure you'll find it if you try 'cos I've seen it sold in Lagos traffic and at roadside bookstores.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Gboliwe: 8:25pm On Nov 19, 2011
Putting to practice the theories garnered from these books you'll agree with me doesnt always work. I've read books, i've tried to move as much as I can yet, it keeps bouncing off. Listen, its not a spiritual problem like I hear people talk about their stricken self. I do believe that it has something to do with my person, my disability. Employers wouldnt want to higher me and thats the truth. Now, if I dont work and get first hand knowledge of how it is in the corporate world how am I expected to do well in my field assuming I even find something/business to run.
Now we are discussing this, I feel upset with the system, angry with life. God help me
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by AjanleKoko: 10:41pm On Nov 19, 2011
@OP,
Stop looking for a job and find something else to do.
Try to do something really 'out there', maybe even learn a trade. The worst thing that can happen to someone is to stay idle, and there are way too many Nigerian graduates who just sit at home and write job applications.

I volunteer for an NGO that works with youth corpers, helping them find direction and footing. What I find with Nigerian graduates is, most have never worked a day in their lives. Everybody's got an expectation of finding a job with their certificate, as opposed to other developed nations where undergrads do campus work, internships, work-study programs, etc. There's nothing wrong with a graduate or undergrad working behind the counter at Sweet Sensation or Mr Biggs. As an undergrad, i spent many ASUU strike periods working with electricians and fridge repair techs, learning a thing or two about the real world. It helped me during my post-NYSC job search, and it was not a loss.

I have a friend who, back in the day, could not find a job. He eventually found one manning the photocopier at a business centre in Ikeja. The pay was lousy, but it got him out of the house and put some change in his pocket. He later started keeping the books for that business center (he was an accounting graduate), and later got an accounting position with a night club. Today he manages the Abuja branch of a bank.

These days, you find that even youth corpers think a lot about where they will work and how much they will earn. That's a bit naive, considering that the entry-level graduate unemployment bug is not biting only Nigeria. Something like 20 million US university graduates are either unemployed or under-employed according to TIME. There's a recession out there, so we all need to do things different and work very hard.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Lacoolmley: 10:58am On Nov 20, 2011
Poster is looking for job. Someone is asking for his qualifications and all as she might have something for him. Another sharp guy has already sent in his speculative application while the poster is still asking questions. Speed counts as well but most importantly, Pray. In the end, everything will be fine. Best wishes.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Godsown20(f): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2011
@1forall,

I am really motivated by your words of encouragement cos am already getting to the point of am already tired cos I have written aptitude tests but all to no avail despite the cost of making it to those venues. Pls really need more guidelines on getting to the top in my next phase of invitation. pls you can reach me through this email address: enkay2008@yahoo.com
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by AjanleKoko: 4:25pm On Nov 21, 2011
Lacoolmley:

Poster is looking for job. Someone is asking for his qualifications and all as she might have something for him. Another sharp guy has already sent in his speculative application while the poster is still asking questions. Speed counts as well but most importantly, Pray. In the end, everything will be fine. Best wishes.

Abi oh. Tells you a lot donnit wink

1 Like

Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 1forall: 5:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
Lacoolmley:

That's not quite right, read thru well.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by 1forall: 5:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
Gods own20:

Pls really need more guidelines on getting to the top in my next phase of invitation. pls you can reach me through this email address: enkay2008@yahoo.com

If you've got any specific queries why not ask here on the forum so that others stand a chance to gain something just like you did?

Good to know you're motivated but don't be selfish na smiley
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by igelomo(m): 6:10pm On Nov 21, 2011
Lacoolmley:

Read this and i lol in the office, @op pls take note
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by Solone: 11:47am On Dec 15, 2011
Are u tired of looking for a job that pays big money, or tired of simply looking for any job?
Cos i think there are lots to do, only that we don't like how much they pay.

@ AjanleKoko

pls tell me more about this volunteer job u r doing and if u have any info on other volunteer jobs. monphilip5@yahoo.com.
Thank u
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by boneruns(m): 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2011
@ mr Ajanlekoko, count me in if you are organising an I.T related voluteer job. I need a hands-on experience to improve my networking skills. I'm currently undergoing a CCNA training in one of the learning centres. Email me on gnwaofor@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by kaposky(f): 12:26am On Dec 16, 2011
Hold on,you may just be a second to your miracle.

meanwhile ,check out your xmas special offer in my signature.

See you at the top
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by emailguru: 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2011
What you need is to start your own business. The University has given you all it takes to think and discover yourself. Now all you need to do is to come up with and idea, develop it and then sell it to people who may need it in exchange for money.

Never ever wait for the white collar job!

I hope this helps.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by May22nd(m): 4:20am On Dec 19, 2011
@ Ayaba, please I'm seriously looking for job too. I'm a graduate of the University of Ado Ekiti, I have Bsc in Business Administration. I base in Lagos. You can contact me for any other information or enquiry you need concerning me: dele_taiwo@yahoo.co.uk 08037758341, 08023912034. Thank you.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by oskamboo: 7:44am On Dec 20, 2011
I really agree with ajanlekoko, though environment really matter in job hunting. Places like lagos,ph etc enhance getting job on time. If u are not the lazy type,you can still get casual jobs in lag and keep looking for a better one. I started with 15k as a graduate but today,to God be the glory. A friend started with a 20k casual job,he is a 2.1 graduate.After much patience he got 3 lucrative jobs within 3 months. Pls, be patient,never give up on yourself.Time is everything.
Re: I'm tired of looking for a job by drone99(m): 5:19pm On Dec 22, 2011
Don't give up, you will find a job pretty soon. Since you have access to the internet, try and subscribe to job alerts and also check Dealfish job section from time-to-time.

Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Maritime Security Agency (nmsa) Recruitment / British High Commission (BHC) Entry Clearance Officers Recruitment / NBC Graduate Trainee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.