Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,225 members, 7,860,437 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:03 AM

Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st (549 Views)

Workers' Day Celebration: FG Declares Wednesday, May 1st As Public Holiday / Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st / 11 Newly Licensed Independent Electricity Distribution Network Operators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by Fdex012: 9:55pm On Apr 22
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has officially transferred the oversight of Ekiti State’s electricity market to the Ekiti State Electricity Regulatory Bureau (EERB).

Set to take effect on May 1, 2024, this move symbolizes a broader decentralization effort within Nigeria’s power sector, influenced by recent legislative amendments under the Electricity Act 2023.

This transfer was outlined in a NERC order dated April 22, 2024, marking a significant step towards empowering state-level regulatory capabilities.

The move stems from constitutional amendments signed into law on March 17, 2023, which shifted certain powers from the federal to state governments, allowing them to independently manage electricity generation, transmission, and distribution within their jurisdictions.

Details of the Transfer
The official announcement was made through an order dated April 22, 2024, where NERC outlined the transfer process, aligning with the broader legislative changes under the amended Electricity Act 2023
https://nairametrics.com/2024/04/22/nerc-transfers-regulatory-control-of-ekiti-electricity-to-state-level-commission/
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by SoNature(m): 9:55pm On Apr 22
Waste of my time....

I thought I'd read that Ekiti State built a gas-fired power station.

Nigeria's electricity problem is not policy! It's purely lack of enabling power infrastructure.

Ekiti State should emulate Geometric Energy and GSM. Grammar cannot solve power supply issues.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by Paraman: 10:07pm On Apr 22
Congratulation to the people of Ekiti

Some people are still attacking only the FG even though the generation, transmission and distribution of power has been decentralize.
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by Alexiiydon: 10:54pm On Apr 22
Lol yet na once a day we Dey get light for my area bullshit
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by Kewtt: 2:43am On Apr 23
SoNature:
Waste of my time....

Nigeria's electricity problem is not policy! It's purely lack of enabling power infrastructure.

Ekiti State should emulate Geometric Energy and GSM. Grammar cannot solve power supply issues.
They did. Ekiti has an IPP. The reporter must have a difficulty expressing himself.
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by yemmit90: 5:05am On Apr 23
SoNature:
Waste of my time....

One of the major causes of recent poor power supply is being attributed to inability of Disco to take up and distribute percentage allocated to them. Taking up electricity distribution channel by Ekiti start board is a very good idea, and if well manage, it will enhance rotal supply of power to that state.
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by drlateef: 7:49am On Apr 23
SoNature:
Waste of my time....

Go and read the report of power minister to the senate. It is on NL front page. Distribution is the biggest problem followed by transmission. Generation is not the problem as it has 15000 MW installed capacity.
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by SoNature(m): 8:06am On Apr 23
drlateef:

Go and read the report of power minister to the senate. It is on NL front page. Distribution is the biggest problem followed by transmission. Generation is not the problem as it has 15000 MW installed capacity.

What's the connection between what you wrote and mine? Be it generation, transmission or distribution, all those subsectors need power infrastructure to function optimally.

Tinubu has already signed a bill to empower states to generate, transmit and distribute power. And I am saying that given the title of this news story, this news doesn't add one megawatt of electricity to what currently exists in the national grid.

Understand first before you reply.
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by hisexcellency34: 8:55am On Apr 23
that governor in Ekiti Oyebanji doesnt know his left from right
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:01am On Apr 23
SoNature:

What's the connection between what you wrote and mine? Be it generation, transmission or distribution, all those subsectors need power infrastructure to function optimally.

Tinubu has already signed a bill to empower states to generate, transmit and distribute power. And I am saying that given the title of this news story, this news doesn't add one megawatt of electricity to what currently exists in the national grid.

Currently, we generate more power than we transmit or distribute: some Discos even refuse to distribute additional power generated! Therefore of what use is an additional million megawatts to the grid without an expanded distribution and transmission sector. A State Government attempting to close a part of this deficit is a welcome development.

Perhaps, you prefer to have Ekiti State to go all out to generate and transmit and distribute its own power project. That would be fantastic but more costly. In any case, it will be better to start somewhere than do nothing because of lack funds to prosecute a greater power project.
Re: Ekiti State To Start Electricity Distribution May 1st by drlateef: 4:12pm On Apr 23
SoNature:

It seems you are not clever in deciphering my response. Infrastructural problems are caused by discos not investing in the that.

(1) (Reply)

One Thing I Like Most About Lagos Calabar Is That It Will Give Us The Ocean Back / Typing Jobs / There Is An Attempt To Undermine This Democracy, Says Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.