Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,530 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ (19717 Views)

Tribapay Is Still The Most Reliable For Dollar Cards Because Of Customer Care / Naira May Drop On Profit-taking, Increased Demand / Naira May Depreciate To 386/dollar In H2 —pwc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by NaijaCover(m): 9:47am On Apr 26
The naira on Thursday continued its downward trend against the United States dollar, depreciating to N1,309/$ at the official market and N1,420 at the parallel market.

The new rate which indicates a depreciation of N90 or 6.8 per cent from N1,330 quoted by currency traders on Wednesday followed renewed dollar demand pressure in the foreign exchange market.

According to currency traders at the popular Wuse Zone 4 market, operators bought the greenback note at N1,340 and sold it at N1,420, leaving a profit margin of N80.

Malam Yahu Abubakar in a telephone chat said, “We are selling at N1,420 per dollar today and we bought at N1,340. The only reason why the naira is dropping is because of an increased demand for the greenback. The CBN is trying to address the situation but it has not affected the market.”

Another trader, Abubakar Taura, expressed caution in trading, citing ongoing concerns that the CBN might take some drastic measures to stabilise the dollar.

This apprehension, he explained, was driving high-profit margins, providing traders with an opportunity to recover losses.

“Yes, the dollar is rising gradually but we are still afraid and trading cautiously because anything can happen and it falls. You would have noticed that the profit margin is high too. We have to recover some of our losses.”

With the current exchange rate, the naira has lost 26.2 per cent in two weeks when compared to N1,125 per dollar quoted on April 12, 2023, on the parallel market, popularly called the black market.

On Monday, the Central Bank of Nigeria approved the allocation of $15.83 million to 1,583 BDC operators. The move was aimed at enhancing liquidity in the unofficial market.

The CBN in a letter to BDCs announced the allocation of $10,000 to operators across the country. The allocation comes at a rate of N1,021 per US dollar, aimed at stabilsing the foreign exchange market and ensuring accessibility of foreign currency to eligible end users.

According to a letter released by the CBN to the Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria, all eligible BDCs are directed to initiate payments of the Naira deposit to specified CBN Naira Deposit Account Numbers starting from Monday, April 22, 2024. Upon submission of confirmation of payment and necessary documentation, the CBN will disburse foreign exchange at the respective CBN branches.

At the official market, the naira depreciated to N1,309.88 against the dollar by the end of Thursday’s trading. This is a 0.10 per cent drop, from the previous rate of N1,308.52 recorded on Wednesday.

A summary of the forex transaction showed that the intra-day high depreciated by N68, closing at N1,435 per dollar from N1,367 per dollar. The intra-day low reduced to N1,100 from N1,098 recorded on Wednesday.

Forex trading volumes between a willing seller and a willing buyer experienced a significant increase of 61 per cent, with transactions reaching $318.08m, exceeding the $197.54m previously recorded at the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market on Wednesday.

Over the weekend, the CBN Governor, Yemi Cardoso, stated the Naira was declared the best-performing currency globally as of April 2024.

The naira had the unenviable position of being the worst currency in the country in March when it fell to as low as N1,600/$1 on the official market and N1800/$1 on the parallel market

This achievement follows a series of foreign exchange market reforms and is supported by positive sentiment from leading international investment institutions, he declared.

Cardoso made this remark in a press briefing on the sidelines of the just concluded World Bank/IMF meeting in Washington DC, United States.

However, it remains to be seen what strategies will be used by the apex bank to ensure the stability of the naira for a longer period.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/dollar-demand-pushes-naira-to-1420/%3famp

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by NaijaCover(m): 9:48am On Apr 26
Another Increase Again, God Almighty Help Me

14 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Namaster: 9:53am On Apr 26
Tinubu did not understand the meaning of floating the Naira before they implemented it. The ARTIFICIAL Naira appreciation in the past few weeks is simply because the CBN had been furnishing BDCs with dollars at absurd rates.

Now that they've been called out for depleting the Foreign Reserves by trying to defend the Naira, they've cut back a little and Naira is finding its real baseline.

Fun fact: it's NOT there yet. The exchange rate will get worse.

187 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Boogyman557: 10:02am On Apr 26
Holly Gram cool

EBIN PAWA ooo !!!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

89 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Honestey: 10:19am On Apr 26
Aisha Yesufu and her band of haters must be so happy now. She said keep your dollars closed and now we are sliding back to 1900. Good people of Nigeria must keep these enemies farrrr away from Aso Rock

29 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by H2ho(m): 10:20am On Apr 26
angry
Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by johnnywayne(m): 10:20am On Apr 26
The upward trend begins again

6 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Anonimoux: 10:20am On Apr 26
Just as we knew it would rise again.

35 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Simeony007(m): 10:20am On Apr 26
Emi lo corn

26 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by wordbank(m): 10:20am On Apr 26
grin
Reading my queen primer
I go up, up l go
Am I to go up?

And I sing...
Higher higher everyday
I will lift my dollar higher everydayyyyy

Degree holder in economics my foot
grin grin grin

39 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by NOwazobia: 10:20am On Apr 26
No, na crypto cause am.

Banned everything related with crypto and forex and see Nigeria become an Eldorado... undecided

Idiot government and its dumb, hungry foot soldiers.

Atleast we can now live comfortably with the increase knowing that a decrease won't improve standard of living.

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by virginboy1(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
Una don start again.

2024 Year of Naira Vs Dollar rise and fall battle... lipsrsealed

I just hope last last Naira Truimphs sha undecided

11 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by dikings(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
Hahehaho grin i laff in Otuguan.
Government of the Clueless....

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Timoleon(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
We are handling over ...

APC is teaching is a lesson.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by LadyRosa(f): 10:21am On Apr 26
tongue

I no go lie, the dollar rise is favouring folks around me. And I'm benefitting from it.

I am at crossroad weda to pray for its rise or fall... embarassed

Nigeria is gone! Forget this country.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by israelmao(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
Where is Senior Advocate of Naira Appreciation,Reno?So much speculation is going on, banks and BDC need close monitoring..

32 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by atiku4President(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
Hmm
Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Abuja91(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
This is where reno comes in

8 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Thewrath(m): 10:21am On Apr 26
Who will they blame this time around? The thing about lieing is that you need to tell more lies to sustain the old ones cool

Allow cards to work internationally,especially as we are not self sufficient….when everyone can easily access dollars,demand/price will reduce when supply is excess

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Anonimoux: 10:22am On Apr 26
Nigeria and 'short term solutions to long term problems' ehn.
Who on earth uses reserves to subsidized a Foreign currency rather than looking for ways to earn the foreign currency. This country daftness dey shock me.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Azaland(f): 10:22am On Apr 26
So, what can reduce the demand for dollar? That's the multimillion dollar question

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by KushLyon(m): 10:22am On Apr 26
Maybe now they will blame bet9ja and Opay for this depreciation grin naira appreciated to around 1000 per dollar but it didn't reflect in the price of goods in the market, yet zombies were jubilating that their Messiah has defeated dollar

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by lanre316: 10:22am On Apr 26
Back to where we were before. Chai! Which way Nigeria.

I was hoping dollar would get back to 700 naira that Tinubu met it.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by temmyyem: 10:22am On Apr 26
Mystery of babylon and it lies called government continues.......

6 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by sofeo(m): 10:22am On Apr 26
Alright then.
Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Cruzmaster: 10:22am On Apr 26
Make una stop jare. Tinubu has hit the ground running 😂😂😂 He's First class graduate of Accounting. From University of Chicago. He has transformed Lagos into Dubai and will replicate it in Nigeria 😂😂😂

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by ShenTeh(m): 10:22am On Apr 26
The dollar news don dey carry blame game again a la APC style.

1 Like

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Siberia01(m): 10:22am On Apr 26
grin

Reno food don done

13 Likes

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by Makunahatata: 10:23am On Apr 26
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool

EBIN PAWA ooo !!!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!
no right thinking, hardworking adult Nigerian will find this amusing, nairaland should start removing kids like this idiot, it's so obvious den dey feed am..spits

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by TechBaron: 10:23am On Apr 26
Oh wow
Re: Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$ by MatrixReloaded: 10:23am On Apr 26
if dollar can get to 5000 per dollar

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Is World’s Best Kept Secret In Terms Of Investments, Returns – Dangote / Banks Stop Cash Withdrawal From Overseas Atms / Nigeria Enters League Of Steel Exporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.