Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,715 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report (7104 Views)

Lagos Versus Anambra Under Tinubu And Obi; A Comparative Analysis / VAT Revenue Grew By 29.3% To ₦1.53 Trillion In 2020 – NBS / These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Paraman: 7:10am On Apr 27
The total revenue that accrued to the coffers of the government from Value Added Tax between October 2023 and March 2024 increased by 58 per cent, Saturday PUNCH investigation has shown.

This was contained in the various financial reports released by the Federation Account Allocation Committee between October 2023 and March 2024.

According to a statement issued on November 22, 2023 by the Director (Press and Public Relations) of the Ministry of Finance, Stephen Kilebi, FAAC said it shared N906.96bn among the three tiers of government for October 2023.

The committee disclosed that part of the shared funds included VAT of N347.343bn, which it said, was N43.793bn higher than the N303.550bn distributed in the preceding month.

“The Federation Account Allocation Committee at the end of the meeting indicated that the Gross Revenue available from the Value Added Tax for October 2023 was N347.343bn, which was an increase from the N303.550bn distributed in the preceding month, resulting in an increase of N43.793bn.

“From that amount, the sum of N10.894bn was allocated for the Cost of Collection, and the sum of N10.003bn was given for Transfers, Intervention and Refunds. The remaining sum of N323.446bn was distributed to the three tiers of government of which the Federal Government got N48.517bn, the states received N161.723bn, and Local Government Councils got N113.206bn,” the FAAC stated in its November release.

Investigations by Saturday PUNCH showed that the VAT generated in November was N335.656bn, which was lower than the October estimates, but between December 2023 and March 2024, the VAT revenue steadily increased.

It was N458.622bn in December 2023, N420.733bn in January 2024, and N428.80bn in February 2024.

In a statement by the Director of Information and Public Relations, Ministry of Finance, Mohammed Manga, on Friday, April 19, 2024, FAAC said the gross revenue from VAT for March 2024 amounted to N549.698bn, which was N89.210bn higher than the preceding month’s estimate.

FAAC had attributed the increase in VAT to the country’s economic growth and improved tax compliance, but a comparison of the N347.343bn VAT generated in October 2023 with the N549.698bn VAT made in March 2024 gave a difference of N202.355bn, which was 58 per cent of the October figure.

However, the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission on Friday, April 19, 2024 attributed the prevailing hike in the cost of goods in the country to multiple taxations and transportation costs.

The FCCPC said it came about this after a comprehensive investigation into the factors contributing to the relentless hike in the prices of goods across the country.

The FCCPC Director, Surveillance and Investigation, Mrs B. Adeyinka, disclosed this while briefing journalists during a market surveillance to enforce prices in Masaka Markets, Nasarawa State last week.

She said the FCCPC conducted extensive interviews with marketing executives and sellers across various sectors of the country’s economy before arriving at the discovery.

“Despite government efforts to stabilise the currency, prices remain high. Our findings point to a complex web of factors, including multiple layers of taxation and transportation costs that are driving prices up,” she said.

Recall that the Federal Government in October last year hinted that it might raise VAT rates from 7.5 per cent in the medium term to probably 15 per cent as the International Monetary Fund had over time advised.

The Federal Government had said, “The VAT projections over the medium term are based on holding the rate at 7.5 per cent. Raising the VAT rate, however, remains a policy option for government to keep in view over the medium term.”

The government had at that time said it wouldn’t raise the VAT rate but would intensify efforts at improving VAT coverage and collection efficiency.

But speaking with Saturday PUNCH, a former chairman of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Dr Muda Yusuf, said there was a strong connection between the increased VAT revenue and the hike in the prices of goods in the country.

He said, “Of course, there is. You know the VAT is a percentage of the price of those things. And in many cases, prices have doubled recently. For instance, if something costs N100 and the VAT is 7.5 per cent, but if the same thing is now N200, that means the VAT proceeds will double.

“It is like that for practically all products that are ‘vatable’. So, there is a very strong correlation between the increases in the prices of goods and services and the VAT revenue.

“Don’t forget that all those importations are also ‘vated’. You know the costs of imports now. All the prices have gone up. So, the VAT on all of them has increased.

“Ideally, if not that the volume of sales drop, we should be taking about close to a 100 per cent increase in VAT revenue.

However, due to the fact that the increase in price has also led to a decrease in volume, that is why we are not talking of even a higher percentage. But there is a very strong correlation between the prices and increase in VAT revenue.”

https://punchng.com/vat-revenue-rose-from-n347bn-to-n549bn-under-tinubu-faac-report/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social

8 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by RisenJoe(m): 7:11am On Apr 27
😂😂😂, what's the essence of tax if the citizens bear the brunt and not the establishments or companies you are trying to tax.

However, the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission on Friday, April 19, 2024 attributed the prevailing hike in the cost of goods in the country to multiple taxations and transportation costs.

You removed fuel subsidy and instead of making use of the money saved, you decided to increase taxation thereby making the suffering double.

Agbadonomics

132 Likes 9 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by OAFMods: 7:11am On Apr 27
More wahala 4 obidient ipob troubled medulla

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by RisenJoe(m): 7:12am On Apr 27
But speaking with Saturday PUNCH, a former chairman of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Dr Muda Yusuf, said there was a strong connection between the increased VAT revenue and the hike in the prices of goods in the country.

He said, “Of course, there is. You know the VAT is a percentage of the price of those things. And in many cases, prices have doubled recently. For instance, if something costs N100 and the VAT is 7.5 per cent, but if the same thing is now N200, that means the VAT proceeds will double.

“It is like that for practically all products that are ‘vatable’. So, there is a very strong correlation between the increases in the prices of goods and services and the VAT revenue.

😂😂😂 The FG is enjoying and the poor Nigerians are bearing the brunt of Tinubu's heavy taxation

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by kettykin: 7:15am On Apr 27
Increase in VAT when the GDP has moved from number 1 to number 4 in Africa.

When will Nigerians think out of the box

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Racoon(m): 7:19am On Apr 27
Dont be deceived. This is the trademark antics of liars, scammers, fraudster and propagandists in government This is after fleecing the poor hapless citizens and macro-industries in the name of tax drive.

The non-oil sector of the economy are not being fully harness to generate revenues or looted if generated. Meanwhile, Nigeria's GDP is nothing to write home about but here they are boasting about is IGR which is not a reliable index of economic development.

The government is still borrowing to subsidize petrol, the dollar and to implement the budget. The value of the naira is plummeting, investors are leaving in droves, the economy is contracting and the suffering of the downtrodden masses is never ending.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by AqualinaXYZ: 7:27am On Apr 27
Thats what Tinubu is good at

Tax tax tax tax tax without putting money on good use

Kill them with tax and embezzle the money

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by AqualinaXYZ: 7:32am On Apr 27
leisuretym:
Don't publicise failure, that huge amount have less value now, naira is now tissue paper, that's inflation reflecting because tax is price Based, too many dumb people

Why won't it increases now?

Bag of rice 28k vat at 7%
Bag of rice 78k vat at 7% vat figure won't be same due to increase in inflation, don't celebrate this

His supporters call him technocrat

How can a dullard be a technocrat

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Stephaniegold(f): 7:32am On Apr 27
Noted
Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by AqualinaXYZ: 7:32am On Apr 27
KEVIND:
In other words,
My papa get money but no money to feed.
Nigeria matta tire me ooo

Tinubu is the most useless human alive

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by salbis(m): 7:32am On Apr 27
Squeezing life out of the poor masses through VAT and other wicked policies just for the thieving few to have enough to plunder.

Government should show Nigerians with evidence what she was able to save from pms subsidy removal as promised.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Ayoola171(m): 7:32am On Apr 27
Okay
Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Flame333: 7:33am On Apr 27
I can't see the beauty of the rise in revenue whereas people are dying in poverty..

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Elusive001: 7:33am On Apr 27
RisenJoe:
😂😂😂, what's the essence of tax if the citizens bear the brunt and not the establishments or companies you are trying to tax.

You removed fuel subsidy and instead of making use of the money saved, you decided to increase taxation thereby making the suffering double.

Agbadonomics

I tell you.

Watch them rejoicing over this news even when they are gnashing their teeth under this current great TINUBUlation. Their concern is if the supporters of better Nigerian are complaining. They do not understand that a better Nigeria will benefit them too. They are despicable to say the least.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by KEVIND: 7:33am On Apr 27
In other words,
My papa get money but no money to feed.
Nigeria matta tire me ooo

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Energist: 7:33am On Apr 27
Compare the two in US $, you'll see a slump. I know that some taxes especially from the oil and gas industry come is USD

4 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Greenfusion: 7:33am On Apr 27
VAT revenue without impact

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by mannobi(m): 7:34am On Apr 27
You can't take that fact away from Tinubu. He knows how to generate money.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by MajorOvakporaye(f): 7:34am On Apr 27
Propaganda

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Gbadugbakun(m): 7:35am On Apr 27
Yet suffering is worse.

8 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by CheapHomes1: 7:35am On Apr 27

9 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Elusive001: 7:36am On Apr 27
OAFMods:
More wahala 4 obidient ipob troubled medulla

Did you actually read the write up?

So you mean that your only concern is the activities of those who want a better Nigerian state. I know that you are gnashing your teeth under the current state of things.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Inspirer1: 7:36am On Apr 27
Celebrating increased vat generation while the citizens get more impoverished. Its judicious usage is more important as far as we are concerned.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Spuggie: 7:36am On Apr 27
Audio.

Tinubu please, wake up to your responsibilities.

The least you can do, leave the state of the nation the way you met it.

Are Nigerians better off today than the were on May 28, 2023?

Your guess is as good as mine.

11 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by CheapHomes1: 7:36am On Apr 27
mannobi:
You can't take that fact away from Tinubu. He knows how to generate money.

how has that reduced inflation and increased standard of living of Nigerians?

15 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by RealTrump: 7:36am On Apr 27
The Tax collector wink

Truth is Baba should have only contested as FIRS or customs chairman cheesy

I don't believe he is suited for the post of a President. I mean, see as country is hard

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by James91: 7:37am On Apr 27
Tax collector, that this president knows how to do best, he did it in Lagos, now doing it in country, tell me how this tax takes affect the citizens, only the Big Men enjoys his presidency, nothing for the poor.

10 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Nightwolf1: 7:37am On Apr 27
grin And idiots are wondering why prices of goods and services aren't reducing..

This is one of the areas they are using to make Nigerians paupers.😋😋😋😋

Value Added Tax. More money for the thieves in Govt, more Nigerians fall into abject poverty with low purchasing power. grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Klington: 7:37am On Apr 27
Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by Edoreborn: 7:39am On Apr 27
Bastards

3 Likes

Re: VAT Revenue Rose From ₦‎347bn To ₦‎549bn Under Tinubu – FAAC Report by haybhi1(m): 7:39am On Apr 27
Obviously, Tinubu and Obi are never mates. It's just agenda pitting that failure of a leader Obi against Tinubu, when considering Anambra and Lagos under each's berth respectively.

However, Tinubu has been short of expectation with the presidency so far. I will look to see how he fares by the end of this tenure. I don't see his reelection if things continues this way. I just would never like to see Obi come close to the presidency. That man is just not it, he was never even it as Anambra governor.
Believeintruth:
Were you in Anambra when he was governor? If they subject you now to serious questioning on PO, you will have nothing to even say about him, it is all based on tribalism and ethnic hatred, if PO was a Yoruba you will not say this or if it was Osinbajo who has no recorded achievements, you will never say this.
https://www.nairaland.com/870945/what-exactly-peter-obi-doing
I don't make things up and nor am I a bigot. I don't need to live there if the residents have these to say—please see that link. Are you aware that people were leaving Anambra for Lagos on a steady—some of my Igbo friends actually celebrated leaving Anambra to Lagos during Obi's tenure?
stanbright:

Please what did Tinubu do as a governor?
I know you likely don't live and have never been in Lagos, else you won't ask that question.
https://www.nairaland.com/7176682/tinubus-achievements-lagos-governor
Go through this link; I was born and live in Lagos—bar tertiary institution that took my away briefly. So it's first-hand experience I speak with when I do.

https://www.nairaland.com/8070777/reno-posts-pictures-schools-initiated
The first picture/school in this link was the JSS school I attended at Egbeda in the 2000s, and I bet you it was extremely up to par with any in the country. The good thing was >½ of all the students and staff in that school comprised students from other states—many of my friends were Igbos, in fact.

Believeintruth:
Let me ask you one question. Did you verify what these people said or you just took it by face value? Oga see the wise thing you do is to not corroborate a statement that you yourself have not proven or experienced. It is clear you are biased against obi because of his ethnicity. If it was Osinbajo you will not say this despite the fact that he has no known achievements.
Seems this will be my last response to you. Look not everyone is nepotic/bigot or those terms. I am very much open-minded and frank and criticize whoever when due; I care less of whose ox is gored in the face of truth. I don't Osinbanjo to tangible achievements either.
I rate prof Soludo a lot, for his achievements as CBN governor. I rate that previous Ebonyi governor, prof Umahi, a lot for his work in the state. I don't rate Obi at all for his subpar deeds as a governor. If these go against most of the governors today as President, I'll pick Soludo if no opponent is worthier.

You should deduce my ideology well enough through this.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Is PHCN Doing In Your Area? / Port Harcourt International Airport Remodelling 90% Complete(pictures) / Ibrahim Danjuma, The Policeman Who Ordered The Shooting Of 6 Igbo Traders In APO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.