Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,375 members, 7,864,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:42 AM

Richest Countries In The World 2024 - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Richest Countries In The World 2024 (53103 Views)

Top Ten Smallest Countries In The World (photos) / COVID-19: India's Richest People Are Fleeing On Private Jets / Isabel dos Santos, Africa’s Richest Woman & Wealthy UK Neighbours At Loggerheads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by grandstar(m): 8:03pm On May 01
internationalman:

What are you not getting. China's population is advantage to their GDP growth. That's an undisputed fact.

I'm trying to tell you that if not for their huge population China would be in the top 10

America has over 320m peoples and its within the top 10 countries.

I repeat: China's population size won't hold it back from achieving a very high per capita income.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by grandstar(m): 8:12pm On May 01
Kremlingrad:

👍👍👍👍
Mehn!!! Also mentioned the disastrous and botched zero COVID policy. You seems to be well versed on China/CCP issues. Can you recommend materials you follow to stay updated. I mean YouTube channels, SM pages etc

That zero COVID policy was an outright disaster. It was a middle finger to businesses depending on Chinese exports. It made no sense whatsoever. I think that was the last straw. It must have cause nightmares in supermarket chains all over the planet.

Joe Blogs is one I follow. Though there's some clickbait, but his analysis is always on point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tovzAc4Cg-A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by InvertedHammer: 8:14pm On May 01
/
So you mean all the prosperity prayers since 1980s in Nigeria is a total waste?

Many are still paying tithes to pastors to be in number 1 position.

If I were a neurosurgeon, I will really like to open the brain of a sample religious zombie in Nigeria to ascertain what's inside.

/

1 Like

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by PortHarcourtcit(m): 8:18pm On May 01
MMWandali:
Small but mighty countries

Unlike those killing investments, tourism and agriculture
Inflicting hardship
cry me a river, land mark must go down grin
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by grandstar(m): 8:19pm On May 01
Gerrard59:
GDP per capita is an unbalanced metric in assessing the wealth of a country and its populace. There are more poor people in Guyana than Singapore and Qatar combined.

How exactly? Xi wants China to be a global leader in advanced technologies. The West disagrees. Is it now a crime for a group of people to chart their economic and technological advancement because another group doesn't like it? Why is it bad for China to lead in electric vehicles, but right for the US? Why is it wrong for China to advance in Semiconductors but Korea can do the same? When did it become a bad thing to use one's ingenuity for itself?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3260307/made-china-2025-china-meets-most-targets-manufacturing-plan-proving-us-tariffs-and-sanctions#comments

If you believe Chinese statistics, you might as well believe the stats presented by a fox over the chickens in his care. They are usually embellished.

There's nothing wrong if Xi Jinping wants China to be a global leader in advanced technologies. China would eventually achieve milestone in many advanced technologies. The issue is how will it go about it.

China is notorious for stealing technology. A lot of its advancement in telecoms and bullet trains and other industries came from stolen patents. The theft is very brazen. This just isn't fair trade. The Chinese government is spending $150bn in building microchip plants. This is outright cheating. It isn't by the private sector. Naturally, Chinese companies won't be producing microchips at this stage.

China also wants to export wilinilly all over the globe put places a protectionist wall on imports into its own country.

Japan, South Korea and especially Taiwan are wary of China and so called advanced technologies. They have more to lose than the West.

China wants to be a leader in microchips. This will hit Taiwan hard! A lot of its companies are suffering because China has specially targeted companies that Taiwan has comparative advantage in.

This is something you must understand about economies. When countries are poor, their main selling point is cheap labour. Companies set up labour intensive factories making textiles, garments and so on and other goods.

As these countries grow richer, labour cost increases and gradually they shift from brawn to brains. China is gradually transitioning but the problem it wants leapfrog by decades. China's per capita income is only $8,000-11,000. It wants to achieve what countries with per capita incomes of $30,000 or more are doing.

China I repeat would eventually become a leader in many technologies as it has already in some.

I do understand China's fear is its overdependence on import of microchips but China has largely itself to blame. Its cold war with Taiwan is unnecessary. It should let Taiwan be. Taiwan is too far gone to be part of China today, and the Taiwanese have seen what happened in Hong Kong. A middle ground can be reached between the two countries, but certainly not by force.

Any invasion by China would lead to the death of the Chinese economy.

China is currently the world's largest semiconductor market in terms of consumption. In 2020, China represented 53.7% of worldwide chip sales, or $239.45 billion out of $446.1 billion. However, a large percentage are imported from multinational suppliers. In 2020, imports took up over 83% ($199.7 billion) of total chip sales. In response, the country launched a number of initiatives to reduce its reliance on foreign companies, including investing $150 billion into its domestic IC industry through avenues like the National Integrated Circuit Industry Investment Fund (CICF). In 2022, the country announced a “Made in China 2025” goal of 70% domestic production.[1][2]

2 Likes

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by fitinwell: 8:22pm On May 01
God1000:
Many of the world’s richest countries are also the world’s smallest: the pandemic, the global economic slowdown and geopolitical turmoil have barely made a dent in their huge wealth.

https://gfmag.com/data/richest-countries-in-the-world/

How can Libya make the list and Nigeria not Make the list...

What are the Yard stick used to measure?
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by duncan511: 8:25pm On May 01
Mindlog:
Hoping to go work in Qatar, someday.
No work in Qatar don't be deceive by what you see there.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Emyogalanya: 8:37pm On May 01
MMWandali:
Unlike those killing investments, tourism and agriculture Inflicting hardship
I thought they said its the bigger the better
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by PHAYOL81: 8:42pm On May 01
Slytiger:

Topic title is wrong. This looks more like GDP per capita, so it would be countries with highest GDP per capita and not richest country list.

EXACTLY. The heading was misleading because some countries put behind like the USA, CANADA, UK, FRANCE, GERMANY, AUSTRALIA, CHINA and JAPAN are continental heavyweight aiding the development of the countries he put upfronts. The contribution of GERMANY, FRANCE and UK (until their BREXIT) towards the growth of EU nations and economy is immense. Many countries at that top are indebted to USA and CANADA and look up to them whenever they run into troubles.
In addition, these heavy weight countriies have cities more developed and sophisticated than those put ahead. The PER CAPITAL INDEX doesn't mean equal distrbution of wealth as well, so it's not a good yardstick of measuring STANDARD OF LIVING and PERCENTAGE or LEVELS OF POVERTY in the countries under study. It's just a deceit.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Tosin67: 8:49pm On May 01
Dem dey mad. Make any of them survive the kind of economic rape Nigeria has survived. Where only one person dey thief $6b
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by nonhuman(m): 8:54pm On May 01
Ybholy:
Where’s my country 🇳🇬?
your country is being governed by stupid ilitrates, people of low IQ, morons, intelligent people are not allowed anywhere near government house

1 Like

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Okhuadams(m): 8:56pm On May 01
God1000:
Many of the world’s richest countries are also the world’s smallest: the pandemic, the global economic slowdown and geopolitical turmoil have barely made a dent in their huge wealth.

https://gfmag.com/data/richest-countries-in-the-world/
I thank God ooo!!! My beloved country Nigeria is among
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by OriOko88(m): 9:02pm On May 01
RaptorX:
Rubbish list, Guyana the number 11 richest country in the world? Pls don't make me laugh. Having a high GDP because of low population doesn't make you rich and Ireland is far from being the 3rd richest country in the world.
Lmao. Why is Ireland far from being the 3rd richest. Any facts or stat to back up ur claim??

No go dey com online dey assume in ur sitting room. Yeye

1 Like

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by OriOko88(m): 9:08pm On May 01
ttmacoy:
Not really.

Many of the countries with higher GDP per capita are not true representation eg Ireland has a high GDP per capita because of the high number of American companies who have their headquarters there for tax purposes. Most of those companies activities actually take place in the US or they use Ireland as a gateway to the UK market but benefit from lower taxes so the true GDP per capita for Ireland is significantly lower same as average income. That's why you have people in the UK angry that the likes of Google or Amazon pay little corporate tax in the UK because of the way they have structures they corporate organization through Ireland.

Luxembourg has a high GDP per capita because it is a very small country and about 50% if it's workforce actually live outside and commute from Austria, Germany etc so when they calculate the GDP per capita it's based on the actual numbers of people who live in Luxembourg but that excludes the roughly 50% of the workforce who commute.

You're so confident typing fake news online. What's the correlation between ireland and UK. Ireland is in EU while UK is not. So what's with UK anger over US companies paying corporate tax in Ireland? U think Ireland is in UK? undecided

1 Like

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by mankan2k7(m): 9:10pm On May 01
So Naija no dey at all.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Kremlingrad: 9:12pm On May 01
grandstar:

That zero COVID policy was an outright disaster. It was a middle finger to businesses depending on Chinese exports. It made no sense whatsoever. I think that was the last straw. It must have cause nightmares in supermarket chains all over the planet.

Joe Blogs is one I follow. Though there's some clickbait, but his analysis is always on point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tovzAc4Cg-A
Thanks man.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Allisgud: 9:26pm On May 01
Individual don loot the money put for account for naija
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Dedan112(m): 9:37pm On May 01
Even Greece
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by favor914: 9:57pm On May 01
MMWandali:

Unlike those killing investments, tourism and agriculture
Inflicting hardship
You know yourself, the apple never falls too far away from the tree.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by DeKing234: 10:19pm On May 01
Bellomisa:
No Nigeria o!!

Yes cos Nigeria don't know how to manage economy....allow Igbos to manage economy and become president they said no. Now see the results. Simps ! Zoo in Maxi Nnamdi Kanus' voice grin grin

1 Like

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Killermamba: 10:44pm On May 01
Sp1ritHusband:
FAKE LIST! NIGERIA SHOULD BE IN THE FIRST 10!
says who? Spirit wife?
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by donmik: 11:06pm On May 01
Where we come dey?

Pls, what is the index for this measuremen
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by hardon1(m): 11:14pm On May 01
Atom007:
The question is what is the criteria for choosing a rich country

Didn't u read the post
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by ttmacoy: 12:55am On May 02
You're joking right?

I will give a real life example, my wife works for a biotech company called Horizon which was headquartered in Ireland for tax purposes but operates pretty much out of Deerfield in Illinois.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/7/22715229/ireland-status-tax-haven-google-facebook-apple

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/10/23/ireland-identified-as-one-of-worlds-top-tax-havens/

If Ireland truly has a GDP per capita of $130k+ who is their average salary like €3k a month

My point about the taxes is not just to UK but pretty much Europe but I used UK as example. This is an example of Amazon using Luxembourg to do the same thing. And that is another reason why Luxembourg's GDP per capita is skewed, a combination of US tech firms using it as a low tax entry into the EU and Europe and half of its workforce living in neighboring countries but excluded from the GDP per capita calculation.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/04/amazon-sales-income-europe-corporation-tax-luxembourg

Apple was the tech company that started this trend and you can see the EU has started fighting back and
If they succeed I expect Ireland GDP to drop over time given that tax advantage is no longer there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/09/apple-suffers-setback-in-fight-against-eu-order-to-pay-11bn-tax-bill-in-ireland

If you think you will go Ireland and get a €100k job because the GDP per capita is so high you're delusional lol

Ireland is a tax haven simple stop deceiving yourself, and the boom in jobs over the last 10 or so years has been driven by US tech and other companies especially biotechnology companies setting up their European headquarters there for tax reasons.

Ireland's true GDP is significantly lower than the UK, I will be surprised if it's more than $45k.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2023/01/30/irish-economy-now-growing-at-four-times-the-eu-rate/

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-gdp-growth-multinationals-misleading/

OriOko88:

You're so confident typing fake news online. What's the correlation between ireland and UK. Ireland is in EU while UK is not. So what's with UK anger over US companies paying corporate tax in Ireland? U think Ireland is in UK? undecided

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by MASTERMIND04(m): 1:14am On May 02
These people don do ojoro. The list is incomplete without the giant of Africa.
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Mindlog: 2:13am On May 02
duncan511:

No work in Qatar don't be deceive by what you see there.

There is an abundance of work in my professional field......Clinical Child Psychology,

2 Likes

Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by duncan511: 2:30am On May 02
Mindlog:

There is an abundance of work in my professional field......Clinical Child Psychology,
Okay
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Mirasteel: 5:37am On May 02
Lol I can't find Nigeria
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by BluntCrazeMan: 5:51am On May 02
superintendents:
cheesy

No single African country.. undecided

modified..
Make una dey calm down they post number 1 to 50 when I first comment.. undecided
Where Nigeria dey abbegg??

E be like say I no search well
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Love800(m): 6:52am On May 02
But dem nor dey grant visa.
OChimex:

Not really. Dude money dey America pass anywhere in the world. Like, individuals dey really see that money. You can make 200k to 350k yearly in the US by just working, if you are smart Oooo
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by emmysoftyou: 7:05am On May 02
Op did you edit it cos the one I saw in chrome web Nigeria is over 100 in a list despite their oil and merchants. among the poorest country in the world..
Op why did you removed Nigeria?
Re: Richest Countries In The World 2024 by Indigbo: 7:12am On May 02
ttmacoy:
Not really.

Many of the countries with higher GDP per capita are not true representation eg Ireland has a high GDP per capita because of the high number of American companies who have their headquarters there for tax purposes. Most of those companies activities actually take place in the US or they use Ireland as a gateway to the UK market but benefit from lower taxes so the true GDP per capita for Ireland is significantly lower same as average income. That's why you have people in the UK angry that the likes of Google or Amazon pay little corporate tax in the UK because of the way they have structures they corporate organization through Ireland.

Luxembourg has a high GDP per capita because it is a very small country and about 50% if it's workforce actually live outside and commute from Austria, Germany etc so when they calculate the GDP per capita it's based on the actual numbers of people who live in Luxembourg but that excludes the roughly 50% of the workforce who commute.

Please don't argue what you don't know. Do you work with global finance? Last world economic forum with membership fee cost $69,000 per year, my oga is a member and we attended together. I'm not a member. Plus don't argue if you don't know about these things. Ireland is a phucking very very rich country. In fact They don't even know what to do with money again cos they're super rich now. You can't go hungry in Ireland except if you're not ready to show yourself. They're currently working on their accommodation crisis, you see how immigrants flooding in right now? Luxembourg too same but the difference is that Ireland is more accessible than Luxembourg. Lux is phucking rich too. Those two countries are small but mighty in money right now. This I am one billion percent sure of. I don't argue about what I am not sure of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chloe Clement Who Took Bullets For His Friend In The Paris Attack (Photos) / Donald Trump Vs Hillary Clinton: Nairalanders Decide / Hamas Announces It Will Begin Executing Hostages On Live Broadcasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.