Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,612 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97349 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:41am On Nov 24, 2011
Mehn, where is Aigbofa?

When are we going to make our special Ekiti egusi soup and iyan.  grin

This thread is making me hungry (ordering Pizza hut).

*OMG* Another page?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:41am On Nov 24, 2011
ezeagu:

Random internet websites and books are not "cited journals".

What I NEVER POSTED ANY RANDOM INTERNET WEBSITE OR BOOKS

Dude, use google scholars. Do you think because I can't type proper english I am an ideeiot like that One Naira ? Far from it, I know what is orginal and that can be quoted and what to be seen as COMPLETE RUBBISH

What One Naira brought out is complete rubbish, What I brought out or Journals and verified cited websites.

Check every single link I posted and prove me otherwise
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:44am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

where did I disclaim that?  I said the name is Yoruba, THE SOUP IS NOT YORUBA.

But it is said otherwise on one of the links I brought out in the beginning and moreover tell me why it can't be yoruba

what do you have against them ?

If it was Igbo, I would immediatly point that out without all this discussion. I accept my mistakes easlly and ready to learn from them like what stillwaters,tpia, andre uweh and co do. Not you that u are aguring blindlly
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:45am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

[b]You exclaimmated in shock [/b]according to your e-icon and I had the feeling u were thinking my claims are false. Thus I had to reply to it also give that ezeagu is calling akara a shared word but we know every shared word food etc has an origin and here is one.

Of course only a mad man would say Isi ewu is hausa or so or suya is igbo or yoruba etc.

That your proof on my supposed claim of Akara originating in Igboland.  

Only bigotry fool would read into that?  

I guess in my past previous post when the discussion was on an agbada and I expressed shock at ileke-idi and cohorts statement,  going by your logic I was claiming that as an Igbo creation too right? Mscheww
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:46am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

We all are aware you are yoruba so lets not even go there.  

Fixed your question for you and the answer is yes you can.  I do not care what you do with your life.

Now you can ROTFLAO grin grin grin grin grin

Na wa oo

tell me what you have against yorubas. Is it because of the cultural influence or u are just intimidated by them.

I have posted my address for Henry101 to see and come visit me, maybe he would tell if I am yoruba or not.

ask ur brother afam4eve he would have a better say
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:49am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

That your proof on my supposed claim of Akara originating in Igboland.  

Only bigotry fool would read into that?  

I guess in my past previous post when the discussion was on an agbada and I expressed shock at ileke-idi and cohorts statement,  going by your logic I was claiming that as an Igbo creation too right? Mscheww

LOL, agbada is orginal fulani cloth called Babban riga.

Agabda is a yoruba way of calling it.

Just like Gele is original yoruba byt igbos call it Ichifu or so.

It is a cultural thing. nothing wrong in that. There is no shame in that. As one of ur brothers said

Yorubas made it, we make it look better nothing wrong in that. Just don't act in shock or change history
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:00am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

But it is said otherwise on one of the links I brought out in the beginning and moreover tell me why it can't be yoruba

what do you have against them ?

If it was Igbo, I would immediatly point that out without all this discussion. I accept my mistakes easlly and ready to learn from them like what stillwaters,tpia, andre uweh and co do. Not you that u are aguring blindlly

NONE OF YOUR LINKS  said Egusi soup is a yoruba creation.  IT SAID EGUSI is the yoruba name of the melon.  READ CAREFULLY. 

Your own links
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J7kdAQAAIAAJ&q=origin+of+egusi+soup&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup&hl=en&ei=2SDNTuSlI8W98gPLl8wE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA

Egusi is apparently a yoruba word.

Where is the claim Yoruba created Egusi soup?

Another link
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6jrlyOPfr24C&pg=PA185&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwATgK#v=snippet&q=egusi%20yoruba&f=false

Egusi derived from the Yoruba language

I ask again the soup?  Where is the claim?

I credited Yoruba for the name Egusi because it is a yoruba word, THE SOUP IS NOT their creation.

Every West African region be it Igbo, Hausa, Wolof, Twi, etc have a name for a Egusi that isn't Egusi excluding Twi. That shows the plant itself is found all over west africa, how it is used for food preparation differs.

You gave something a name then automatically it is yours.  WTF?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:04am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

Now you can ROTFLAO grin grin grin grin grin

Na wa oo

tell me what you have against yorubas. Is it because of the cultural influence or u are just intimidated by them.

I have posted my address for Henry101 to see and come visit me, maybe he would tell if I am yoruba or not.

ask your brother afam4eve he would have a better say

Nwoke, you can keep pretending to till the end of the world. You are faceless person, I do not know you in real life but based on ALL YOUR REPLIES on Nairaland, anybody can conclude you are Yoruba who keep pretending to be something he is not.

It is pathetic that despite giving yourself away so many times, you still keep pretending Tufiakwa.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:07am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

LOL, agbada is orginal fulani cloth called Babban riga.

Agabda is a yoruba way of calling it.

Just like Gele is original yoruba byt igbos call it Ichifu or so.

It is a cultural thing. nothing wrong in that. There is no shame in that. As one of your brothers said

Yorubas made it, we make it look better nothing wrong in that. Just don't act in shock or change history

I laugh in chinese.  Whatever makes you people sleep at night.  We've already discussed this, I'm not one to return back to something already proven. 

When it comes to clothes,  your opinion is as credible as a dog's opinion.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:11am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

What do I have against yoruba? Nothing, just like messing with them.

Is it cultural influence? So far they haven't influenced igbos.

Intimidated by them? Intimidated by what? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I laugh in chinese
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:13am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

NONE OF YOUR LINKS  said Egusi soup is a yoruba creation.  IT SAID EGUSI is the yoruba name of the melon.  READ CAREFULLY.  

Your own links
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J7kdAQAAIAAJ&q=origin+of+egusi+soup&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup&hl=en&ei=2SDNTuSlI8W98gPLl8wE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA

Egusi is apparently a yoruba word.

Where is the claim Yoruba created Egusi soup?

Another link
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6jrlyOPfr24C&pg=PA185&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwATgK#v=snippet&q=egusi%20yoruba&f=false

Egusi derived from the Yoruba language

I ask again the soup?  Where is the claim?

I credited Yoruba for the name Egusi because it is a yoruba word, THE SOUP IS NOT their creation.

Every West African region be it Igbo, Hausa, Wolof, Twi, etc have a name for a Egusi that isn't Egusi excluding Twi.

You gave something a name then automatically it is yours.  WTF?

cry me a river cry cry cry cry cry who cares if Twi or whatever, in one of the links I brought out, it said it orignated in senegal and was called agushi

today the yoruba thought the Igbos, ashanti and co and it is called Egusi. Again cry me a river  cry

as far as Nigeria and west africa is concerned. Yes it is them, go read those links again because i brought out not just 3 links.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:15am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Nwoke, you can keep pretending to till the end of the world. You are faceless person, I do not know you in real life but based on ALL YOUR REPLIES on Nairaland, anybody can conclude you are Yoruba who keep pretending to be something he is not.

It is pathetic that despite giving yourself away so many times, you still keep pretending Tufiakwa.

cry me a river, keep deceiving urself. Only an iddeiot would take Nairaland serious. Whether I am yoruba or not HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THE DISCUSSION AND FACTS.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:18am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

I laugh in chinese.  Whatever makes you people sleep at night.  We've already discussed this, I'm not one to return back to something already proven. 

When it comes to clothes,  your opinion is as credible as a dog's opinion.

LOL eyeeh, so you are actually sad because you got cultural influence from the yorubas. It shows the sort of hate mentality you have. What is wrong if Igbos today were influenced culturally in dressing and food even language in yoruba ? Is there anything wrong with that ?

Has Igbos not influenced Nigeria broken english with words like biko, nna etc Is anyone complaining and whining liek you are doing here

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE STU.PIDITY YOU ARE DISPLAYING HERE
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:22am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

What do I have against yoruba?  Nothing, just like messing with them.

Is it cultural influence? So far they haven't influenced igbos.

Intimidated by them?  Intimidated by what?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I laugh in chinese

Actually they have in a GREAT WAY even to langauge such as egusi

there is nothing bad in it

today Yorubas call isi ewu Isi ewu, that is Igbo influence on yoruba

Today tuwo shikafa is an Hausa food. it is still called them same in yoruba and by other Nigerians

Ogbono is a benin food, it is still called the same.

Egusi is a yoruba food and it is still called the same. I don't see what the problem is

the only problem comes when you are trying discredit them even though you would go to your village and order egusi. why ??

It has not taken your pride or anything from you. Has it ?

Culture is dynamic and it changes according to its generation.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:30am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

cry me a river cry cry cry cry cry who cares if Twi or whatever, in one of the links I brought out, it said it orignated in senegal and was called agushi

today the yoruba thought the Igbos, ashanti and co and it is called Egusi. Again cry me a river  cry

as far as Nigeria and west africa is concerned. Yes it is them, go read those links again because i brought out not just 3 links.

Pele!!!!!!  I'm going through all your links one by one but I have to ask,  If the soup originated in senegal as you claim (doubtful but i'll check it out, i'm going through all your links one by one, so far it the same thing.), what's your fuss on the fact I said the soup is not  a yoruba creation.  Pele!!!!!! oh,  okay i'll let you guys keep lying to yourself.

Igbo,prior to their introduction to yoruba, used the word Ogili for egusi
Hausa called it Agushi
Twi and Yoruba called it Egusi

Just because people are using your name of a seed, does not mean the food made by that seed is yours.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:37am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Pele!!!!!!  I'm going through all your links one by one but I have to ask,  If the soup originated in senegal as you claim (doubtful but i'll check it out, i'm going through all your links one by one, so far it the same thing.), what's your fuss on the fact I said the soup is not  a yoruba creation.  Pele!!!!!! oh,  okay i'll let you guys keep lying to yourself.

Igbo,prior to their introduction to yoruba, used the word Ogili for egusi
Hausa called it Agushi
Twi and Yoruba called it Egusi

Just because people are using your name of a seed, does not mean the food made by that seed is yours.  

so you know it is ogili, ko !

LOL grin grin grin maybe it took sengalese airline to ala igbo and passed through benin and co.

HOW CAN a food be a creation ?

no one can claim to have created anything NOT EVEN sushi.

as far as Nigeria is concerned, it is what it is . Stop demonstrating ur Inferiority complex. Or is the mixing of culture a bad thing

what is wrong with you SMH
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 2:39am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

LOL grin grin grin maybe it took sengalese airline to ala igbo and passed through benin and co.

as far as Nigeria is concerned, it is what it is . Stop demonstrating your Inferiority complex. Or is the mixing of culture a bad thing

Al haram,

Ndo nu, it belongs to we Igbos. No matter how much you try to make it yoruba people will always know it as an igbo thing. cool
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:40am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

LOL eyeeh, so you are actually sad because you got cultural influence from the yorubas. It shows the sort of hate mentality you have. What is wrong if Igbos today were influenced culturally in dressing and food even language in yoruba ? Is there anything wrong with that ?

Has Igbos not influenced Nigeria broken english with words like biko, nna etc Is anyone complaining and whining liek you are doing here

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE STU.PIDITY YOU ARE DISPLAYING HERE

READING COMPREHENSION SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM FOR YOU.  

On this topic only, most Igbo mentioned there is a very little Yoruba influence on Igbo land yet Yoruba’s keep drilling into our head that we are lying,  if we keep telling you what’s going on in SE and you keep believing otherwise then accept whatever makes you sleep at night It still does not change reality.  We'll laugh at the ign.orance, you'll believe whatever you want and we all live happily
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 2:42am On Nov 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Al haram,

Ndo nu, it belongs to we Igbos. No matter how much you try to make it yoruba people will always know it as an igbo thing. cool

Actually, alj harem is correct. It belongs to Yorubas, no matter how much you try to make it Igbo. cool
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:45am On Nov 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Al haram,

nwanne chyz, oyi m

very true but the reality of urs is a deluded one because other people perceive a different reality
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:46am On Nov 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Al haram,

Hapu ya.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:48am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

as far as Nigeria is concerned, it is what it is . Stop demonstrating your Inferiority complex. Or is the mixing of culture a bad thing

Egusi is yoruba, the food is yoruba, the soil it grows in is yoruba. Are you happy now alj_harem?

The original argument before your introduction was the food, now it's irrelevant.  Pele!!!!!  You can cry and cry and cry, Pele ohh.   

Everything is yoruba, are you happy now?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:54am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

READING COMPREHENSION SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM FOR YOU.  

On this topic only, most Igbo mentioned there is a very little Yoruba influence on Igbo land yet Yoruba’s keep drilling into our head that we are lying,  if we keep telling you what’s going on in SE and you keep believing otherwise then accept whatever makes you sleep at night It still does not change reality.  We'll laugh at the ign.orance, you'll believe whatever you want and everybody lives happily

That is the way to think of it. It is not about what I believe it is what it is.

I understand that the yorubas can be a bit pedantic and annoying on this site. And of course i see your need to clam otherwise because you do not want others to gloat over your people. I perfectly understand

But it does not mean we should change history, I and crayola had a very good laugh and I enjoyed yesterday's thread but when I perceived falsehood here by afam4eve and co I had to step in. nothing personal

until u came with ur coconut head grin and in ur post I perceived anger and Jealousy then I had to stop u in ur tracks there. No matter how bad you think of me, it does not change the fact that every culture has been influenced

if u read this thread I brought out Igbos influence on fashola's dressing which the yorubas insulted me as well

also how Nupe influenced the yorubas, they insulted me. But it does not change the fact that it happend

I am sorry if I generated any animosity. ndo nwanne m
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:56am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Egusi is yoruba, the food is yoruba, the soil it grows in is yoruba. Are you happy now alj_harem?

The original argument before your introduction was the food, now it's irrelevant. Pele!!!!! You can cry and cry and cry, Pele ohh.

Everything is yoruba, are you happy now?

STOP THIS RUBBISH childish behaviour

we are talking of cultural influence and you are turning it to everything is yoruba

well that is NOT the case. At the end of the day, it is now a Nigerian food not even yoruba or igbo anymore

so what is ur point ?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 2:59am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

That is the way to think of it. It is not about what I believe[b] it is what it is[/b].

I said before whatever makes you sleep at night.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 3:00am On Nov 24, 2011
Just did some hard research, spaghetti is actually a yoruba food too. shocked
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 3:01am On Nov 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Just did some hard research, spaghetti is actually a yoruba food too. shocked

LOL chyz grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you just had to lighten the mood

grin grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 3:01am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

STOP THIS RUBBISH childish behaviour

we are talking of cultural influence and you are turning it to everything is yoruba

well that is NOT the case. At the end of the day, it is now a Nigerian food not even yoruba or igbo anymore

so what is your point ?

See double take?  You alone turned it into a yoruba thing, now you double take.

I disagree, wahalla. I agree, wahalla.

WTF do you want?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 3:02am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Hapu ya.  

I've washed my hands. You can never teach a monkey to tie its shoe or to swim. grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 3:03am On Nov 24, 2011
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 3:05am On Nov 24, 2011
Chyz*:

I've washed my hands. You can never teach a monkey to tie its shoe or to swim.

Yes you can, if u try hard enough. A monkey would tie its shoe, I am not sure of the swimming part.

My words to this thread are

You can only take a horse to the river, you cannot force it to drink water

Also, He who sees night and call it day is only deceiving himself.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 3:07am On Nov 24, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.