Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,124 members, 7,838,860 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each (21334 Views)

Second Niger Bridge: Asphalt Laying And Street Light Installation Begins / Fayemi Commissions Ado-Ekiti Central Market, Model Schools & Asphalt Plant / Ekiti Asphalt Plant Commences Operation (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by emkz: 10:56am On May 07
As there is some controversy over the state of concrete roads built by Dave Umahi in Ebonyi State, which is better, concrete or asphalt?

Concrete Road Advantages
The biggest benefit of concrete road construction is the longevity. Lasting 20-40 years on average, paving in concrete can boast two to four times the lifespan of asphalt.

● Concrete, it may surprise you to know, is recyclable. Once crushed into gravel, concrete can be used in a variety of ways.

● High truck volume is better suited to concrete roads, as they hold up better under the weight and pressure. This sturdy surface is less prone to dips and rutting, meaning it is a favorite for freeway construction.

● Though not immune to the freeze-thaw cycle, concrete is more resistant. Where asphalt tends to embrittle over time, concrete is more hearty.

● Concrete tends to be a greener material. Producing it creates less environmental pollution, and cars run with better fuel efficiency on concrete. Concrete is also produced from limestone, which is widely available.

Concrete Disadvantages
Though concrete lasts a long time, repairing it is a bigger chore. Holes or cracks can't be simply patched--instead, entire slabs must be replaced.

● Concrete doesn't always make for a smooth ride, either. In order to create enough grip on the road, texture is brushed into the surface. This, and slabs settling over time, can make for a somewhat bumpy and noisy roadway.

● The costs of concrete roads are also higher than that of asphalt, both in installation and repair.

● Concrete is not as "grippy" as asphalt, either. Spills, vehicle chemicals, and other pollutants do not absorb into concrete as well as asphalt. This material is also more prone to slippage during rain or snow.

Advantages of Asphalt Roads
● Asphalt has an attractive price point, even as prices have slowly begun to creep up over time. Like concrete, asphalt is 100% recyclable. When melted down, it can be used again to create new roadways.

● New asphalt is quieter than concrete. Though it creates a smooth drive, it also boasts better traction and skid resistance.

● Since asphalt is black, it utilizes the natural heat from the sun to help keep the roads clear after storms. Heat absorbing into asphalt creates an ideal atmosphere for snow melt and moisture evaporation.

● Asphalt is ideal for rural roadways because of the ease of maintenance and repair. Budgeting for small roadway repairs or patching is much simpler and faster than replacing entire slabs of roadways on less heavily trafficked areas such as country roads.

Disadvantages of Asphalt Roads
● The process of melting asphalt creates greenhouses gasses, which contribute to environmental pollution. This happens regardless of new production or recycling.

● Asphalt is a cheaper and faster solution for short-term projects, but the repairs are sometimes just as extensive as concrete. With only a 10-year lifespan, asphalt must be re-laid or repaired on a much more regular basis.

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which is Better?
There is no simple answer to the question of which material is preferable. When trying to decide between concrete vs asphalt roads, it's important to consider the specifics of your project first and foremost.
https://www.perrinconstructionredding.com/blog/2018/9/25/concrete-vs-asphalt-roads-pros-and-cons-of-each

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by chiiraq802(m): 11:07am On May 07
I prefer Asphalt tho!

25 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by StOla: 11:59am On May 07
What of the many Asphalt roads that break down soon after?

Some even collapse totally.

What matters most is not to allow minimalism.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by Cindypresh(f): 12:44pm On May 07
StOla:

Depends on the contractor and how well they did it.

Nibo-mbaukwu-Agulu road Ngige did more than 18yrs ago is still standing till date

The 10 lane upper iweka express road Obi did more than 10yrs ago is still standing.

I prefer a duly done asphalt road

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by banku: 12:55pm On May 07
What about concrete base and asphalt top?

22 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by commoditiesnig: 1:34pm On May 07
banku:
What about concrete base and asphalt top?
is that combination feasible? Op pls enlighten us on this possibility

4 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by kenny714433(m): 1:41pm On May 07
Asphalt road can self-heal whereas concrete can't. If we're looking at longer lifespan, concrete is preferred.

6 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by YorubaKinging: 2:25pm On May 07
The end is near

46 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by Raskimonojendor: 2:26pm On May 07
I prefer ashpalt due to low noise level, and it being less slippery when wet.

59 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by Detaaaa: 2:26pm On May 07
Cc
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by Ebukamatth(m): 2:26pm On May 07
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by axglide(m): 2:27pm On May 07
Repent today for the kingdom of God is at hand.

Jesus Christ is the Way Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him.

John 14:6 - “ Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

14 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by TargetTT: 2:28pm On May 07
Concrete
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by StOla: 2:29pm On May 07
Cindypresh:

Depends on the contractor and how well they did it.

Nibo-mbaukwu-Agulu road Ngige did more than 18yrs ago is still standing till date

The 10 lane upper iweka express road Obi did more than 10yrs ago is still standing.

I prefer a duly done asphalt road

You see why Ngige is still rated far ahead of Obi the minimalist?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by muyico(m): 2:30pm On May 07
I prefer blue asphalt
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by ClearFlair: 2:31pm On May 07
The one that is better is for people to have food, be secure, have access to good healthcare and jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:34pm On May 07
If it is in an erosion prone areas or a porous soil , I will prefer concrete works as their must be reinforcements that will spread the weight of the road evenly even though compression has been handled....

But with the nature of our government, Asphalting can be easily maintained than concrete done roads because a section of the Asphalt thickness can be scraped and re-done easily but for the concrete , it can be done but it requires more skill and resources to pull over .....

I will go for Asphalt roads in areas that have good soil nature then go for concrete where the areas are porous...

5 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by IkeGod9891(m): 2:34pm On May 07
StOla:

Oya go n collect ur money.... U have trolled OBI.... smiles

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by Fcwilly: 2:36pm On May 07
The question is like asking "MaccLean and close-up" paste which one is better ?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by TTPAAR(m): 2:36pm On May 07
Who are all these spacebookers
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:38pm On May 07
ClearFlair:
The one that is better is for people to have food, be secure, have access to good healthcare and jobs.

Without good roads how do one transport the foods?

Without good roads , how can Police vehicles come to someone's avenue on time and deliver??

Without good roads , how can ambulance come to rescue a dying sick person in his residence?

Jobs ....if you get the job and you are to report to work by 8am, will you apply Edo airways or wait until you come to work late

5 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by AOB1: 2:38pm On May 07
StOla:

People in government in Nigeria are wicked so they don't care about the citizens
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by abibun: 2:38pm On May 07
Concrete takes a long time to get it completed. The ongoing concrete road in sokoto is now in day two and they are yet to do 30m

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by id4sho(m): 2:41pm On May 07
commoditiesnig:

is that combination feasible? Op pls enlighten us on this possibility
Copy and paste O.P grin cheesy

Olodo has nothing to offer

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by Sirdikachi: 2:42pm On May 07
Please I am in search of job to put food on my table,

Use to work in a bank as front office assistant then I resigned to seek career in website designing I am front end designer but the get job is like war ,

Last year I was able to buy a shuttle bus which I started using but along the line the engine started developing same issue every week I changed mechanic still same issue ..

Now I can't afford new engine and help is not coming from anywhere ..

Please someone should help me with any job because I am losing it

Begging to eat nowa days .

I can drive
And job

I have my olevel and diploma in website designing

Please help a brother

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:42pm On May 07
StOla:

They said a bridge caved in, in the picture which has no connection with the asphalt road but you were quick to post it as an Asphalt road default simply because you saw Peter Obi 's name there....

May be there is no Asphalt road in your area to post for us...lols

4 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by GRACEGLORY: 2:49pm On May 07
🙄
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Pros And Cons Of Each by tk003(m): 2:55pm On May 07
There is a concrete road they are constructing in Lokoja, for the past six months now they are still in one spot.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy / Reps To Govs: Bulletproof Cars Won’t Save You From Wrath Of Uneducated Children / 3-month jail term: IGP Baba Will Never Disregard Court Ruling - Adejobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.