Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,029 members, 7,841,905 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was (604 Views)

Data Disproves Commissioner’s Claim That Lagos Is Africa’s 7th Largest Economy / Nigeria To Become Africa’s Fourth Largest Economy In 2024 – IMF / IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by fineboynl(m): 7:33pm On May 11
I was watching a documentary about South Korea a once poorest country became 13 largest economy in the world today.

After the second world war, when the Japanese left the country. North Korea were far ahead of South Korea.

South Korea at the time was very poor and underdeveloped. When the government announced bankruptcy and they couldn't run the country anymore. The rich people in that country willing donate their money and Gold to the government. Even the poor donated what they have. They have no natural resources they could depends on so They started with massive agriculture and industrialization.

Car manufacturers most assemble their cars in the country and must have at least 20% of South Korea parts in the cars and machine.

From there they started manufacturering their on cars, mechine and equipment. For cars they source engine and other things they couldn't produce from other car manufacturers.

Today south Korea is well developed and robot economy. But why Africans are still left behind?

4 Likes

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by jom28gy(m): 7:44pm On May 11
Africans never want to leave Europeans alone, they still stick to them for their everything they need, not knowing that they can do it themselves

3 Likes

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by victory36(m): 8:02pm On May 11
Africa needs to review it's current colonial era borders and reform them according to ethnicity
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:14pm On May 11
The stumbling block is the Chronic lack of unity

2 Likes

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by tommy589(m): 9:16pm On May 11
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Not lack of unity,but bad leaders without blueprint for the future. We also abandoned the old ways that made us to be self sufficient and embrace industrialisation without mastering the basics.

Many years ago,most homes buy blacksmiths produced spoons,hoes, cutlasses and other metal needs. Instead to train those men in modern foundry operation we chose to be importing finished products.

Tanneries for leather ,tobacco for cigarettes and
cotton farming for textiles are all dead. How are we going to be like South Korea?

8 Likes

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by amazingspiderma: 9:36pm On May 11
South Korea has over 97% of it's citizen with BSc certificate.

It is the most educated nation on earth.
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:41pm On May 11
tommy589:

Not lack of unity,but bad leaders without blueprint for the future. We also abandoned the old ways that made us to be self sufficient and embrace industrialisation without mastering the basics.

Many years ago,most homes buy blacksmiths produced spoons,hoes, cutlasses and other metal needs. Instead to train those men in modern foundry operation we chose to be importing finished products.

cotton farming for textiles are all dead. How are we going to be like South Korea?

You are so on point 👍👍👍💯
To confirm your assertions, the current regime is so aggressively focused on reducing purchasing power of the people, slowing down the economy and taxing the people to death 😂🤣

He is not aware of the fact that no nation ever became wealthy exclusively through taxation .

Why can't he change policy direction towards increasing the human development index of the country and focusing on industrialization and increased productivity?

1 Like

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by LordIsaac(m): 3:01am On May 12
1USD= 1,371 South Korean Won😊
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:13am On May 12
LordIsaac:
But Thier HDI is very high about 0.929 their population is highly productive, educated (literacy levels high), skilled and competitive. Corruption is not so brazen and rampant, I stand corrected.

Unlike Nigeria where HDI is 0.532 very low @164th
largely unproductive illiterate population due to very few industries that keep on declining with each passing day as a result of the terrible economic policies they keep churning out. the crude brazen barefaced corruption being practiced by the ruling class.

2 Likes

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by MEEVEET: 7:26am On May 12
fineboynl:
I was watching a documentary about South Korea a once poorest country became 13 largest economy in the world today.

After the second world war, when the Japanese left the country. North Korea were far ahead of South Korea.

South Korea at the time was very poor and underdeveloped. When the government announced bankruptcy and they couldn't run the country anymore. The rich people in that country willing donate their money and Gold to the government. Even the poor donated what they have. The have no natural resources they could depends on so They started with massive agriculture and industrialization.

Car manufacturers most assemble their cars in the country and must have at least 20% of South Korea parts in the cars and machine.

From there they started manufacturering their on cars, mechine and equipment. For cars they source engine and other things they couldn't produce from other car manufacturers.

Today south Korea is well developed and robot economy. But why Africans are still left behind?
Obviously the problem is you like most Africans don't understand what they did

Go back and study them again, their budgeting, support system, programmes they embarked on

Nigerians is seems there is a mental block, blocking Nigerians from doing the simple thing
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by MEEVEET: 7:28am On May 12
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Who told you this, abi you just assumed?
. Did you ever research this or you just assume
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by MEEVEET: 7:30am On May 12
tommy589:

Only Nigerians assume they know enough, won't even research, wont even do findings of what they did that we are not doing

Just stay and assume
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by bergs2: 9:05am On May 12
victory36:
Africa needs to review it's current colonial era borders and reform them according to ethnicity

We should stop crying already; this is 2024. The rest of the world has moved on. Colonialism was part of human dominion over other humans. Africa too has colonized others before. Ethiopia was never colonized, what economic plans have they?
We should quit this consciousness of "victim" philosophy.

1 Like

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by Fulmigati: 9:16am On May 12
America subsidized South Korea to serve as wall against communism from the North. Africa has only been exploited and plundered for the past few centuries.
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by Hez143(m): 9:36am On May 12
trust is a major asset in building an economy!! Tell me, how many Nigerian trust their country,less the economy

1 Like

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by kettykin: 10:36am On May 12
Eastern Nigeria has similar history with South Korea, both were destroyed to the ground by enemy militaries backed by soviet union.

what changed was that igbos left the igbo dream and started putting all their investments in Lagos and Abuja.

South Koreans build their heavy industrial plants in South Korea and have retail outlets all over the world. Igbo who think they are smarter than South Koreans build their heavy investments outside igbo land and have retail outlets and mansions in igbo land. How wise can an igbo man be?
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by Bullfallo(m): 10:43am On May 12
LordIsaac:
south korea minimum wage is ₩9,860.00 per hour . That’s 7.19 United States Dollar per hour.

How much is Nigeria minimum wage per month? 18$ per month.

If the Nigerian inflation reflects accordingly with the minimum wages and increases purchasing power with ratio. Even if fuel price is 10k no body will complain. The problem is salary remains the same while the inflation is above the roof. Reasons labour is asking for 600k minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by Bullfallo(m): 10:51am On May 12
Nigerians problem is our diversity. We are not one. No true purpose. No direction. Conflict of interest and no common good.
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by victory36(m): 12:51pm On May 12
bergs2:

We should stop crying already; this is 2024. The rest of the world has moved on. Colonialism was part of human dominion over other humans. Africa too has colonized others before. Ethiopia was never colonized, what economic plans have they?
We should quit this consciousness of "victim" philosophy.
pls read my write up well. I only emphasized the extreme polarity of the cultural differences between tribes forced to be in one union, Nigeria for instance
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:58pm On May 12
MEEVEET:

Who told you this, abi you just assumed?
. Did you ever research this or you just assume
There's no unity

Disunity is displayed everywhere ranging from educational institutions, even religious centers to workplaces

See Lagos elections!

See the treatment of Pres Goodluck during his tenure probably because he was a minority. Though he didn't perform as optimally as expected but not as terribly bad as the regimes who have been in charge since 2015.

Abi have you not heard that some tribes hire bandits and terrorists from outside the country to destabilise their states? 🙀
Re: How The South Korea Became 13th Largest Economy From Nothing I Was by MEEVEET: 1:26pm On May 12
VeeVeeMyLuv:

There's no unity

Disunity is displayed everywhere ranging from educational institutions, even religious centers to workplaces

See Lagos elections!

See the treatment of Pres Goodluck during his tenure probably because he was a minority. Though he didn't perform as optimally as expected but not as terribly bad as the regimes who have been in charge since 2015.

Abi have you not heard that some tribes hire bandits and terrorists from outside the country to destabilise their states? 🙀
Nigeria is a country that operates as a nation so what do you expect

We are a country of many nations until we create federations along those lines then we would keep having issues

(1) (Reply)

Yaradua And Amnesty / Mozambique Says Amodu Is Naive / Bank Ex-md Gave N236bn Loan To Own Firms – Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.